ADVERTISEMENT

Championship Sunday

Interesting link:

“The story of the destruction of Ireland's forests is not a happy one. No other country in Europe experienced such a wholesale ravaging of its native woodland.

The destruction of Irish forests was largely down to human activity over the centuries. Industrialization, agriculture and an expanding population that required food and shelter all played a part.”

It’s where the English Navy got the wood to build their ships.
Whenever I see Easter Island stuff I think about total deforestation. England really did a number on Ireland... and I'm sure the age of Imperialism did a lot of damage all over the world... and China is prepared to do that now.. they have many natural resource gathering projects all over the world.

Last edited:
I disagree wrt the Lombardi trophy but it definitely has the stupidest name of a final championship game....calling it a Super Bowl and then having a number after it, in Roman numerals no less, is the epitome of amateur hour.
Some of you might remember this…my cousin’s husband works at Tiffany’s as a silversmith and makes it every year.

I disagree wrt the Lombardi trophy but it definitely has the stupidest name of a final championship game....calling it a Super Bowl and then having a number after it, in Roman numerals no less, is the epitome of amateur hour.
If you think "Super Bowl" is a dumb name, do not blame the NFL. Blame your fellow Americans. We named it.

The official name of what is now retroactively known as "Super Bowl I" was "AFL-NFL World Championship Game". Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. The term "Super Bowl" just sprang up organically. The media was using it freely, but it was totally unofficial and no one owned it. Finally two years later, the NFL officially trademarked "Super Bowl", marketed its upcoming game as "Super Bowl III", and retroactively applied Super status to the two preceding games.

IMO it is a perfect brand which has stood the test of time.

Agree with you on the Roman numerals. It worked back in the days of III, IV, and V. But LVI is a tad awkward.

If you think "Super Bowl" is a dumb name, do not blame the NFL. Blame your fellow Americans. We named it.

The official name of what is now retroactively known as "Super Bowl I" was "AFL-NFL World Championship Game". Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. The term "Super Bowl" just sprang up organically. The media was using it freely, but it was totally unofficial and no one owned it. Finally two years later, the NFL officially trademarked "Super Bowl", marketed its upcoming game as "Super Bowl III", and retroactively applied Super status to the two preceding games.

IMO it is a perfect brand which has stood the test of time.

Agree with you on the Roman numerals. It worked back in the days of III, IV, and V. But LVI is a tad awkward.
There are some who will still argue that point, about the first two being called the Super Bowl when they were actually played.

The fights in the parking lots after Niners-Rams must have been epic.
Uh oh. A little too epic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT