ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Collins just did what every Big Ten CBB fan has wanted to see their coach do

Unfortunately this type of attitude will lead coaches to the "they can't call everything" strategy Collins uses. They just try to foul everytime the ball went to the post and then cry about the free throw disparity.

If you had actually watched it, the disparity is quite easy to explain. Starting with the fact that ten of the free throws came in the last 29 seconds of overtime with Purdue up multiple possessions and the shot clock off. And Collins throwing his tantrum with two seconds left to try to create a larger disparity to cry about afterwards.
so you've gotten the disparity down to about 5-1...but yeah, I am sure Purdue didnt foul NW that much

respectfully, you're part of the problem. one of the reasons officiating has gotten this bad, is because people wish away these things with your pretzel logic.

everyone accepts the fact that stars get better treatment from officials, but we're supposed to believe that it stops there. I dont know what more proof you need that by definition, officiating is a biased profession. because human beings dont have the ability to be neutral.

yet when it comes to reffing games, logical people are supposed to believe that it's fair. and when there is a game, that is played in public, and one team shoots 46 FTs and the other team shoots EIGHT...people try to rationalize it as fair.

look, I dont care who wins...Purdue or NW...could not care less...but there is no way this game was officiated well with that FT stat.

No...way. And yes, I didnt see the game and stand by my conclusion.

so you've gotten the disparity down to about 5-1...but yeah, I am sure Purdue didnt foul NW that much

respectfully, you're part of the problem. one of the reasons officiating has gotten this bad, is because people wish away these things with your pretzel logic.

everyone accepts the fact that stars get better treatment from officials, but we're supposed to believe that it stops there. I dont know what more proof you need that by definition, officiating is a biased profession. because human beings dont have the ability to be neutral.

yet when it comes to reffing games, logical people are supposed to believe that it's fair. and when there is a game, that is played in public, and one team shoots 46 FTs and the other team shoots EIGHT...people try to rationalize it as fair.

look, I dont care who wins...Purdue or NW...could not care less...but there is no way this game was officiated well with that FT stat.

But “if reffing is fair foul shots will be even” is not remotely logical.

Reactions: TC4THREE

Doubling down on ignorance. Impressive. Who needs to actually see what they are passing judgment on?

Reactions: Erial_Lion
Was watching…the fan in me loved it. But then I thought about the fines he gonna get and the example he needs to set to his team.

Buie shows how an elite pg raises the level of everyone else.

Glad Purdue won but agree the ft disparity was bad and both teams played physical.
He set the example that needs to be set---he's going to fight for his team & not still for lousy calls.

Reactions: SirScarlet
this was awesome. I always liked/respected Collins as a coach and have given him props here before. This was just beautiful

who said anything about even?

I said fair

the gross disparity suggests otherwise
If a gross disparity suggests unfairness that means a lower disparity (i.e. foul shots being more even) is required for fairness. Why do you believe this to be the case?

Reactions: TC4THREE
I remember talking to Tom Young once and he told me the Atlantic Ten used to allow the head coaches to request any one particular official to not ref their games and they honored it!

• Wow
Reactions: RW90
Did see a good part of that game between 2nd half and OT. Lot of total dogshit calls & non calls.

The B1G is clearly allowing a different standard for Edey because they are protecting the POY candidate once again. If Cliff put an elbow in the defender’s face and pushed off like Edey does he’d be getting hit with flagrant fouls.

The call in the corner was absolutely atrocious. Purdue player hooked the NWs player’s leg to swing around him. Ref had full view of it. Should have been a no call and NE ball.

Collin’s took one for the rest of the B1G with his ejection. Shouldn’t have gone out on the floor while play was still in progress.

Now we’ll see how Edey is reffed the next few games and if Purdue drops a game. Protecting Edey in conference play does the B1G no good come tourney time when other refs call it straight up. This is another overrated Purdue team that will exit early despite seeded as a 1 or 2.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I used to think technicals were stupid but I changed my tune on that after being part of a team years ago where one guy would get T’d up often.

In the right circumstances, the T always gave our team a lift.

Big 10 refs really do suck and have an agenda which is clear. RHJ got some calls but guys like Garza and Edey.make it a joke. I'm all for star players getting their fair share but this is way beyond their fair share.

I blame the refs for setting Purdue up to lose to FDU. Purdue had a good chance of losing to us in BIG last year until Cliff got 2 phantom fouls in like 5 seconds. Had we won Purdue would have been a 2 seed and probably would have made a run because they would have been pissed. But when things get handed to you there is no fight in the dogs. That's how you lose to FDU.

Even with the bad calls I rooted for them against FDU. No agenda here.

You sure ? That really seems egregious.
100% I rewatched our game he had one where he was in the paint for 6-7 seconds and nothing, he had a couple of other 3 seconds and he had 5 blatant travels which 3 were in consecutive possessions when we got the game to 2 points and all led to buckets or fouls; then watch Edey go for rebounds he just blatantly pushes the opposing players in the back; this guy should be fouling out in the first 20 minutes if they actually made calls against him; in our game he also whacked Woolfolk in the head and elbowed Cliff in the ribs and nothing!!
Don't tell me the reffing for him isn't egregious it is 100%

Reactions: Scarlet83 and RUEd
100% I rewatched our game he had one where he was in the paint for 6-7 seconds and nothing, he had a couple of other 3 seconds and he had 5 blatant travels which 3 were in consecutive possessions when we got the game to 2 points and all led to buckets or fouls; then watch Edey go for rebounds he just blatantly pushes the opposing players in the back; this guy should be fouling out in the first 20 minutes if they actually made calls against him; in our game he also whacked Woolfolk in the head and elbowed Cliff in the ribs and nothing!!
Don't tell me the reffing for him isn't egregious it is 100%
Any chance you can put up a video of that 6-7 seconds, or at least the juncture in the game where it occurred? Thanks.

Big 10 refs really do suck and have an agenda which is clear.
Go to message boards of teams in all 32 conferences, and you’ll see people complaining that the refs suck in their conference. Where are all the good refs hiding?

The best way to tell what referees are most respected is to look at NCAA tournament assignments…you’ll see several guys that you’d likely consider “Big 10 refs” working games the second week/weekend, and into the Final 4 and Title game. Guys aren’t getting those assignments because they “suck”.

Now we’ll see how Edey is reffed the next few games and if Purdue drops a game. Protecting Edey in conference play does the B1G no good come tourney time when other refs call it straight up. This is another overrated Purdue team that will exit early despite seeded as a 1 or 2.
I ask again, what are the “other refs”? How are they different than the refs calling games for Purdue’s first 30+ games of the season? If 1, 2, or all 3 of those guys from Wednesday night are calling Purdue’s first NCAA game, are they making different calls?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT