ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Gettys

CJ is a player I will never forget. You have to be a real leader to come in when he did and believe in this program. In my opinion; he was every bit of the reason that Pikiell was able to get us to where we are today. You don’t get from point A to point B without bumps and a few catalysts. Thank you CJ and I hope to you come back as coach to Rutgers. You would be amazing teacher for the bigs.

Deshawn Freeman was so much better. He scored more rebounded more and was a great defender. What gives? Freeman was also a 4 star with options that came here when we sucked. Gettys was a one and done with no power 5 offers.🤔

Last edited:
CJ was very good for us. He made a huge difference in our team and took very few shots. Freeman was good as well but he often shot the ball and seldom threw the ball back out. Freeman had more rebounds but he played many more minutes as well. He had a great game against Indiana in the 2018 BIG Tournament at MSG.

Reactions: ChasRC69
Deshawn Freeman was so much better. He scored more rebounded more and was a great defender. What gives? Freeman was also a 4 star with options that came here when we sucked. Gettys was a one and done with no power 5 offers.🤔
Why are you ragging on Gettys. He came in as a grad student and pretty much gave his all every game. That's why he is liked so much by the fan base. No one comparing him to Freeman until you brought it up

Freeman wasn’t a transfer, was he? I don’t understand the comparison.

Exactly, what gives? This is a thread about CJ and you rip him because you like Freeman more? Why not start a thread about Deshawn instead. There’s plenty of room to support both without being dic to one of them.

Freeman played hard but was selfish as hell and forced a ton of shots down low. His play was what made doubt Pike as a coach here early on because Freeman was allowed to to anything he wanted without any apparent repercussions. It was like he wasn’t being coached at all. Fortunately, I have not seen that treatment with any other player since then.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Freeman played hard but was selfish as hell and forced a ton of shots down low. His play was what made doubt Pike as a coach here early on because Freeman was allowed to to anything he wanted without any apparent repercussions. It was like he wasn’t being coached at all. Fortunately, I have not seen that treatment with any other player since then.
hmmmmm.. I might suggest there have been others who drove into multiple defenders, head down, not thinking of driving to pass... but you are correct.. did not see that much at all last year.. so Pike and staff are correcting behaviors.

BTW.. for those that cannot decipher that tweet.. CJ is onto Japan's B2 league.. here is his team's roster.. checking a few names I see players from OK State, South Carolina and Xavier.

Last edited:
For CJ Getty’s fans, he is selling some of his Rutgers gear on The Players Trunk—

Freeman wasn’t a transfer, was he? I don’t understand the comparison.
No. A junior college player that chose Rutgers. I liked both players. You could see then we had promise. I was optimistic at that point. Sure there were blowouts but progress was evident

Freeman was more talented no argument. I will say no more after that.

Reactions: shields
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT