ADVERTISEMENT

Clarifying a constantly stated misconception

Who really cares she ‘s not with her team and not that it matters now but that is the real issue for me.

All of the above speculation is no longer applicable.
The program is dead in the water. The contract should have provided language to deal with the situation whether it is a disability, family leave or refusal to do the job. If the contract did not cover these contingencies, then shame on the lawyers. Regardless, there is little chance she is coming back as the active coach. Hobbs needs to complete a settlement with her and find a good replacement ASAP before the damage is beyond repair (which is close) . The entire team will hit the portal and no talent will sign for next year with all the unknowns.
This mess is on a lot of people!!!

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
This is not true. She cannot do anything she wants. Specifically if she is being paid (sick time personal time)or there is an insurance policy in place (short term long term disability). There are absolutely limitations of what a person on leave can do and can’t do. Especially a leave that is medical in nature or pandemic safety related.
Actually, no.

I've never heard disability mentioned - I don't see how it could apply. Not wanting to contract Covid, or being afraid for whatever reasons that you are vulnerable are not disabilities. Even folks on disability, incidentally, are not restricted from doing "things". Theoretically, they can't do things related to their disability, because, well, they can't do them. Otherwise, they can travel, shop or anything else they want to.

Rutgers would have to restrict her activities on any leave using accumulated sick or personal time. If Rutgers said "you have to stay home and have no contact with other folks since you won't come into the office and have contact with others" - then this would be a problem. Do you really, really think RU did this????

Actually, no.

I've never heard disability mentioned - I don't see how it could apply. Not wanting to contract Covid, or being afraid for whatever reasons that you are vulnerable are not disabilities. Even folks on disability, incidentally, are not restricted from doing "things". Theoretically, they can't do things related to their disability, because, well, they can't do them. Otherwise, they can travel, shop or anything else they want to.

Rutgers would have to restrict her activities on any leave using accumulated sick or personal time. If Rutgers said "you have to stay home and have no contact with other folks since you won't come into the office and have contact with others" - then this would be a problem. Do you really, really think RU did this????
I am not saying a claim was filed but I wouldn't be surprised if one was from a risk management standpoint. One does not need to be disabled to take advantage of short term disability. I have seen short term and long term disability insurance claims filed for everything from a hemorrhoid flare up to a fear of public transportation. .
Actually yes an employer Can restrict someone from doing things. CVS not willing to go to work because of “Covid fears” and lack of testing requirements was reported in the articles as the reason for her not being with the team. . If CVS is afraid to report to work because of lack of testing she should steer clear of places that also do not test and would be within the right of her employer to restrict access to such places.

Do you honestly believe Rutgers under Holloway’s stewardship would dare file a violation charge against Stringer’ s leave of absence . Even if she were on disability Stringer could travel and shop and do just about anything. The leave of absence would not restrict her in anyway.

Reactions: bac2therac
Do you honestly believe Rutgers under Holloway’s stewardship would dare file a violation charge against Stringer’ s leave of absence . Even if she were on disability Stringer could travel and shop and do just about anything. The leave of absence would not restrict her in anyway.
And therein lies the problem. Rules do not apply.

Reactions: RUBOB72
I'm serious about contacting the news media to find out if something is true.
Just believing a message board is not the way to evaluate if something is fact or fiction.
Also by contacting a media outlet that thrives in putting down RU sports, they will try to investigate on what they are contacted about and report on it if true
Feel free to exercise that option. There has never been anything posted on any message board that would compel me to contact any media outlet for verification and I doubt there ever will be.

Reactions: bac2therac
Is Hobbs a government employee?
Think you should check if he is.

How is CVS' salary part of the state debt.
Is the sate paying it ?
Is it from taxes paid?
Maybe check the state budget and see where all that money goes.

As for being paid to sit at a desk, think the agreement was for her to coach and possibly move to administration if Stringer decided to retire from coaching but still wanted to be involved with RU Athletics.
Shame that contract isn't published so we can see what it entails in full.
But it's alleged to be extending Vivian's HC tenure with an option to move into the Rutgers Administration, not a state position paid by the state.

What I don't get is how many fans think the state pays for all the RU's coaches salary
Schiano is regarded as the "highest paid state employee". If he is an employee of the State of NJ, so is Hobbs and Stringer. The State Budget provides over $1B to Rutgers. You can argue that every cent goes to academics, but then you can argue that every cent of your State taxes goes to paving roads. We all know you can't track every every tax dollar. The bottom line is the Athletic Department does not make a profit and has a huge IOU to pay.

Feel free to exercise that option. There has never been anything posted on any message board that would compel me to contact any media outlet for verification and I doubt there ever will be.
That is your choice.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever contacted a media outlet to verify a message board rumor? And if the answer is yes , what was the rumor?
yes because before I share something I try to find out the facts.
Rumor ( I remember most)was how many Rutgers fans were opposed to football stadium expansion being spread on a message board
Too much misinformation is passed around like candy on the internet and boards like this.
Sometimes something is found and shared with good intentions, but the original sesame was made with malicious intent and little regard for the truth
Since I tend to criticize the posting of what someone heard but don't know if true, I try not to do that myself
And also contact media to clarify something that was put in an article about a Rutgers sport that I felt was misleading ( that was an article about a HC's salary and claim of a secret deal)

Reactions: KevH
As disgusted as I am with CVS for her morally bankrupt approach to handling this situation, at some point, you just have to accept it isn't going to change. And for that, I blame Hobbs. He is responsible for the horrific decision to give her the new contract. And he is responsible for letting things get to this point. He needs to step up and fix this disaster now. I really feel bad for the players. This can't be what they signed up for.

As disgusted as I am with CVS for her morally bankrupt approach to handling this situation, at some point, you just have to accept it isn't going to change. And for that, I blame Hobbs. He is responsible for the horrific decision to give her the new contract. And he is responsible for letting things get to this point. He needs to step up and fix this disaster now. I really feel bad for the players. This can't be what they signed up for.
CVS is supposed to be a role model. She’s showing her players how to milk the system. No pride.

CVS is supposed to be a role model. She’s showing her players how to milk the system. No pride.
Can't say you're right or wrong.
Unless we know what's really going on, only can go by what we feel without knowing all the facts.
I feel there is more to the issue that we don't know an d the bashing of CVS might be wrong.
But without anyone involved coming forward to clarify what's going on, no one can rightfully complain about any bashes putting down Stringer and/or Hobbs on this issue..

As for me, not happy in the least and can't defend the LOA or how it came to be.
In my opinion: Leaving loyal fans ( along with long time dislike her) in the dark won't gardner much support and lose a little support from long time supporters.

Reactions: LtCol144
If you have accrued vacation and sick days, wouldn’t you use them before you retire?

If you have accrued vacation and sick days, wouldn’t you use them before you retire?
What C suite level positions (coaching at d1 is comparable level to C suite) has accrued vacation and sick days that carry over? I would say none. It’s bizarre that a multi million dollar salaried employee would have that benefit.

I believe state employees may have different types of benefits …my dad was in school administration and remember sick days would carry over … my Dad had 2 years of sick time but did not use it when he retired.

I believe state employees may have different types of benefits …my dad was in school administration and remember sick days would carry over … my Dad had 2 years of sick time but did not use it when he retired.
Huge difference between an average state employee, teacher salaries and a D1 level coach. They should not be in the pension system nor receive standard sick/personal day contracts.

Math please.
It wasn't mine. In a prior thread from earlier in the season. Someone used the number of sick days that accrue to University ? / NJ? employees over a 25 year career. Even at 2 weeks a year - 50 weeks. And the several posters who know about the benefit system I'm pretty sure were indicating it was more than 2 weeks (10 days) a year. But I don't have time to dig the thread out.

I would suspect that some of her other time off (which wasn't a lot, so far as we know) was probably a mix of personal time and perhaps some short term disability.

But again, we don't know.

It wasn't mine. In a prior thread from earlier in the season. Someone used the number of sick days that accrue to University ? / NJ? employees over a 25 year career. Even at 2 weeks a year - 50 weeks. And the several posters who know about the benefit system I'm pretty sure were indicating it was more than 2 weeks (10 days) a year. But I don't have time to dig the thread out.

I would suspect that some of her other time off (which wasn't a lot, so far as we know) was probably a mix of personal time and perhaps some short term disability.

no, I wouldn't ask you to go dig it up. Thanks. Crazy that any benefit system would provide 26 weeks of fully paid STD when an employee has accrued so much sick time. (if that's the case).

Widowed black woman HOF coach with a disabled daughter- good luck with that.
Exactly…had it been Theresa Grentz, someone would have been all over it.

the power, right or wrong, like it or not, is with CVS. Hobbs is not doing anything she does not want. A simple risk-pain-tolerance assessment should lead any reasonable individual to this conclusion. He lost power when the contrast was offered and signed.

Plus there’s always the possibility of comp time.

Hard to believe there’s not an NJ journalist interested in excavating this.
I also wonder, but there could be a no real story worth coverage in this matter and without a story , the coverage won't be there.
We can claim anything we like about why no coverage, but don't think fear of the subject will be involved.
That's for those who want to make a side issue to add to this issue.

I honestly feel any questions are being put off by a confidentially issue involving what's happening and that kills the ability to cover what's going on .

I also wonder, but there could be a no real story worth coverage in this matter and without a story , the coverage won't be there.
We can claim anything we like about why no coverage, but don't think fear of the subject will be involved.
That's for those who want to make a side issue to add to this issue.

I honestly feel any questions are being put off by a confidentially issue involving what's happening and that kills the ability to cover what's going on .
I don’t agree. The Star Liar has repeatedly beefed up non-issues in the past using cherry picked facts to make RU look bad because it sells papers (clicks). They will not be willing to go down that road with CVS because of who and what she is.

I don’t agree. The Star Liar has repeatedly beefed up non-issues in the past using cherry picked facts to make RU look bad because it sells papers (clicks). They will not be willing to go down that road with CVS because of who and what she is.
Might not have enough facts to attack and afraid to be made to look like liars without the material to spin, like they had in the days of Josh and Ted, spinning the truth into misconceptions. .
When there might be a health issue protected by confidentially laws, the media might decide to trend lightly and not have what they report blow up in their face

No one can say for sure the reason of lack of coverage, but making a big deal of issues in the past gives a good indication the Star Ledgers isn't above using non issues to cherry pick attacks .
But show the Star Liar doesn't want to make an issue of something protected by confidentially laws

I don't think this is as black and white as some tend to see it and the grey areas are the coverage problem

I agree. There may not be a story because there is not a story but that hasn't stopped nj.com from writing hit pieces in the past. Especially ones that are as fiscally irresponsible as this.

Figured it would be best to re-post this list in this thread as opposed to the Somogyi one so it doesn't get deleted for the third time. I think some don't realize the extent of struggles we've had in the recruiting category. We all likely remember that before Diamond's class signed we were struggling to get recruiting classes of note. It was not happening. Just like it did not happen last year(hence the need to go to the portal). We got one here and another there, but nothing close to what the top teams are bringing in regularly.

CVS and staff have been striking out when it comes to their target recruits regardless of race. We have two excellent recruits signed for next year and I think we got a good one last year in Sanderlin, and that is a blessing. The list of names that we have struck out on is too extensive to list here. We've been playing against many of them.

Some recent and current targets
Caleigh Walsh, Christina Dalce , Ariel Jenkins, Olivia Olsen, Emma Risch, Nicole Melious, Laci Steele, Jaylin Hartman, Shay Bollin, Paulina Paris and more

Why we don't get certain recruits is not because of any discriminatory practices IMO. With the amount of anti-CVS posters on this site that have wanted her gone for the past 10-15 years and the local media coverage that has been cold on CVS for as long as i can remember,, is it a surprise that the kids who may be listening to them may decide to go somewhere else without giving RU any consideration.

I honestly doubt that any of the Mabrys, Flaherty, Farrell, etc. ever gave RU serious consideration. Heck, we couldn't get Olivia Miles, Leilani Correa, Destani Adams, Diamond Miller, and so many other NJ talents who are starring elsewhere. I honestly think that we've been fortunate to get our most recent recruits off of the spurts of good play over the 4 prior seasons, Arella factor, Betnijah and RU WNBA players, and CVS recent acknowledgements from last season as a trailblazer. Honestly, those factors wouldn't necessarily bring a Mabry to RU. They bring a Maori, and all of those who recently chose to come here. That's not a case of CVS only recruiting one type of player over others. It's more a case of people going where they are organically drawn to.

And as most of us suspect, CVS' coaching style(offense) is likely another factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: MADHAT1
Also just wanted to share this with any who question whether CVS is/has been operating from a discriminatory mindset with her program.

Hope these posts dispel any notions of CVS not welcoming diversity. Like I said before,.....She ain't turning down Paige Bueckers, Caitlin Clark, Cameron Brink, etc. You go after who you think you can get.

This is all just a bunch of noise at this point. The damage to this program is beyond repair. There's plenty of blame to go around but at the end of the day it lands at CVS' feet. Winning a bunch of games the last few years is all smoke. Time for change and return this program to the national stage.

Reactions: motorb54
Figured it would be best to re-post this list in this thread as opposed to the Somogyi one so it doesn't get deleted for the third time. I think some don't realize the extent of struggles we've had in the recruiting category. We all likely remember that before Diamond's class signed we were struggling to get recruiting classes of note. It was not happening. Just like it did not happen last year(hence the need to go to the portal). We got one here and another there, but nothing close to what the top teams are bringing in regularly.

CVS and staff have been striking out when it comes to their target recruits regardless of race. We have two excellent recruits signed for next year and I think we got a good one last year in Sanderlin, and that is a blessing. The list of names that we have struck out on is too extensive to list here. We've been playing against many of them.

Some recent and current targets
Caleigh Walsh, Christina Dalce , Ariel Jenkins, Olivia Olsen, Emma Risch, Nicole Melious, Laci Steele, Jaylin Hartman, Shay Bollin, Paulina Paris and more

Why we don't get certain recruits is not because of any discriminatory practices IMO. With the amount of anti-CVS posters on this site that have wanted her gone for the past 10-15 years and the local media coverage that has been cold on CVS for as long as i can remember,, is it a surprise that the kids who may be listening to them may decide to go somewhere else without giving RU any consideration.

I honestly doubt that any of the Mabrys, Flaherty, Farrell, etc. ever gave RU serious consideration. Heck, we couldn't get Olivia Miles, Leilani Correa, Destani Adams, Diamond Miller, and so many other NJ talents who are starring elsewhere. I honestly think that we've been fortunate to get our most recent recruits off of the spurts of good play over the 4 prior seasons, Arella factor, Betnijah and RU WNBA players, and CVS recent acknowledgements from last season as a trailblazer. Honestly, those factors wouldn't necessarily bring a Mabry to RU. They bring a Maori, and all of those who recently chose to come here. That's not a case of CVS only recruiting one type of player over others. It's more a case of people going where they are organically drawn to.

And as most of us suspect, CVS' coaching style(offense) is likely another factor.
Many names you mentioned on that list were “offered” but not recruited. Big difference. Many of the offers are window dressing. CVS and staff made little effort to land the Mabry’s Flahertys and I may understand why (families were looking for more). But others specifically the shore/central Jersey girls very little to no effort other than a call here and there. No interaction with high school coaches and grass roots coaches. It’s a shame because there were many if given a real opportunity would have entertained Rutgers. It takes more than “offering” to get these girls to sign and there has been less than minimal effort.

Reactions: motorb54
This is all just a bunch of noise at this point. The damage to this program is beyond repair. There's plenty of blame to go around but at the end of the day it lands at CVS' feet. Winning a bunch of games the last few years is all smoke. Time for change and return this program to the national stage.
You're missing my point. My post was in response to the talk of CVS not embracing diversity and not recruiting in NJ. The names listed show otherwise.

The winning streaks over the previous four years was mentioned in reference to the effect it likely had in grabbing the attention of some of those recruits(or people close to them) who we have been able to sign in the last few years.

That's it. It was not mentioned to lobby for more time for CVS and staff. I'm sure you've seen my posts this season and are aware that I, like everyone, at this point, is ready for change. Early in the season I joined in giving suggestions for a successor.

Last edited:
Many names you mentioned on that list were “offered” but not recruited. Big difference. Many of the offers are window dressing. CVS and staff made little effort to land the Mabry’s Flahertys and I may understand why (families were looking for more). But others specifically the shore/central Jersey girls very little to no effort other than a call here and there. No interaction with high school coaches and grass roots coaches. It’s a shame because there were many if given a real opportunity would have entertained Rutgers. It takes more than “offering” to get these girls to sign and there has been less than minimal effort.
I understand what your saying here. Sounds like you have a lot more info than I do regarding the extent of effort put forth for those recruits. If effort was little to none, as you suggest, then shame on CVS for letting all that talent, Miller, Miles, Correa, Adams, Mabrys, and more get away from us without trying.

Reactions: kupuna133
Also just wanted to share this with any who question whether CVS is/has been operating from a discriminatory mindset with her program.

Hope these posts dispel any notions of CVS not welcoming diversity. Like I said before,.....She ain't turning down Paige Bueckers, Caitlin Clark, Cameron Brink, etc. You go after who you think you can get.
This is a joke, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT