ADVERTISEMENT

Clary thrown off By PSU head Coach

WOW!!! something as elusive as leprechauns, hens teeth, West Virginia Virgins, Seton Hall scholars, nice weather in Syracuse, and honest lawyers… we have ourselves an actual Penn State Hoops fan!!!
I'll blow your mind and tell you that I've even been in Syracuse on a nice day...too nice in fact, so that I sweated my ass off sitting in a Dome named after an air conditioning company that didn't in fact have it's own air conditioning.

Reactions: BigRnj
So now a player who plays balls out on the court to the point where he suffers a serious concussion is thrown a side when the team is out of contention because he his family is upfront about wanting more NIL instead of keeping their mouth shut and going to the portal for the pay day next year. In doing so Rhoades invites speculation that it is about Clary's performance on the court, off the court, in practice, or in the classroom when it seems like a complete MONEY issue with Penn State cheeping out. Rhoades is not the hero here no matter what the father said, did, or threatened.
Thrown aside? This was a business decision by the coach. The kid was a problem so coach said go kick rocks. This will be a great learning experience for the kid. The kid was going to throw Penn State aside the minute the season ended so if your season is done already why would a coach put up with the BS and potentially hurt your season next year?

Ultimately the kid should have shut his mouth. finished the season on good terms with everyone and moved to greener pastures for himself and his family. No unfortunately the messed with the coach and the coach hurt his ability to get NIL next year.... Learning lesson.

Kids want the money but no accountability. They are professionals now. They need to act like it.

Funny how the worst part of coaching at the youth, middle school, and high school levels (dealing with parents)… can also be true in D1 hoops 😬

Reactions: ancienthooper
Never a good sign when a player's ego is the coach's fault, not the player

The "never take responsibility for my actions it's always someone else's fault" generation
Both coach and player share responsibility but it’s the coaches job to manage the team.

Has anyone read this detailed description of what happened? Lol there's no need to even come up with your own version of events..

He was receiving $0 nil as the teams leading scorer...got injured, team won some games without him. Came back to increasingly less playing time. Father demanded nil and more playing time coach kicked him off team instead... You can judge both sides based on that. I just chalk it up to it is what is. No need to be dramatic about either side..
Seems like a bunch of speculation based on rumor, no? Tough to judge anybody fairly when we can’t confirm most of it.

None of my business anyway.

I felt like the defense was decent, but really was more about how poorly Rutgers played. Did a good job on coming at Cliff with quick doubles and getting the ball out of his hands...and the pressure led to some turnovers...but many of the turnovers were a bit sloppy by Rutgers. And Rutgers poor shooting night really led to the ability to double Cliff (RU went 1-17 from 3, and most of those 17 were pretty good looks). Rutgers also missed several layups, and went 11-22 at the line that helped lead to the bad offensive night.
Yup. This has been true all season. People like to get on Pikiell for the lack of an offense, but RU gets plenty of open looks every game. Lack of execution (open 3s, layups, free throws) is this team's biggest enemy.

Thrown aside? This was a business decision by the coach. The kid was a problem so coach said go kick rocks. This will be a great learning experience for the kid. The kid was going to throw Penn State aside the minute the season ended so if your season is done already why would a coach put up with the BS and potentially hurt your season next year?

Ultimately the kid should have shut his mouth. finished the season on good terms with everyone and moved to greener pastures for himself and his family. No unfortunately the messed with the coach and the coach hurt his ability to get NIL next year.... Learning lesson.

Kids want the money but no accountability. They are professionals now. They need to act like it.
Bro hug! I was thinking this exact thing. This is nothing more than your typical employment situation, or better yet, contract negotiation. Dumb move if the kid didn't already have another offer in hand.

He's a good college player but his pro prospects are limited and require a Duolingo subscription. He's got to bank some NIL. Big mishandling on the part of the family. Big mistake to complain incessantly and talk portal to his teammates -that actually is being a cancer. Big mistake to not shut-up and wait it out. He does not have an offer in hand because there can be no deal without a head coach getting involved and no way a head coach was sticking their neck out that far.

But consider Roades. You think this is not going to brought up with every recruit that leans toward Penn St for the next decade? Every portal kid? Do you think their big man for next year, Goodman, is not hearing about this? Do you think Brandin wouldn't dump this on the table in any house where we're going head to head. If anyone should have STFU, gone into mitigation mode, and waited it out, it was Rhoades -you know, the supposed adult in the room.

Seems like a bunch of speculation based on rumor, no? Tough to judge anybody fairly when we can’t confirm most of it.

None of my business anyway.
Those are actually the only facts in this thread. I try to be more vigilant about sticking to the facts in this new social media based/reality TV type world we have evolved into. With new technology and innovation comes new responsibilities that we must recognize. In this new era speculation often becomes fact in the eyes of most. Even the most educated people are influenced by it because no one fact checks when they are presented with a narrative that fits whatever emotions or agenda they might have.
The overwhelming sentiment in this thread was that this guy is a "locker room cancer" "wasn't going to class" "bad student". I was looking for any confirmation of this but it seems like it's just multiple guys agreeing with this sentiment which leads to these assumptions becoming facts in the minds of anyone reading this thread. A psu fan even came to the thread and said "I don't think much of that is true" lol but people double down and say NO! HE WAS A CANCER. Lol And that's the problem with social media right there. I really don't care I just thought it was funny reading the thread.

So for me....just take what we know happened and judge on that... Everything else is a person's personal opinion and feelings creating their own version of events to justify their feelings.

Last edited:
Those are actually the only facts in this thread. I try to be more vigilant about sticking to the facts in this new social media based/reality TV type world we have evolved into. With new technology and innovation comes new responsibilities that we must recognize. In this new era speculation often becomes fact in the eyes of most. Even the most educated people are influenced by it because no one fact checks when they are presented with a narrative that fits whatever emotions or agenda they might have.
The overwhelming sentiment in this thread was that this guy is a "locker room cancer" "wasn't going to class" "bad student". I was looking for any confirmation of this but it seems like it's just multiple guys agreeing with this sentiment which leads to these assumptions becoming facts in the minds of anyone reading this thread. A psu fan even came to the thread and said "I don't think much of that is true" lol but people double down and say NO! HE WAS A CANCER. Lol And that's the problem with social media right there. I really don't care I just thought it was funny reading the thread.

So for me....just take what we know happened and judge on that... Everything else is a person's personal opinion and feelings creating their own version of events to justify their feelings.
How do we know what the kid’s NIL deals were? Does PSU report them publicly?

Did the player or his parent or the coaching staff publicly confirm the story that’s being told?

How do we know what the kid’s NIL deals were? Does PSU report them publicly?

Did the player or his parent or the coaching staff publicly confirm the story that’s being told?
??? So what you're saying is there shouldn't be any opinions on this because nothing can be confirmed as fact? I agree with that, but as far as the information available to us, this is the most factual timeline I've seen in this thread. If you want to say he was getting nil as an under recruited 3 star coming back for his sophomore year after avg 3 ppg as a freshman. Then I can't argue with that because I don't know. Just seems like he wasn't a kid that was in demand and required any convincing to stay besides the scholarship..

??? So what you're saying is there shouldn't be any opinions on this because nothing can be confirmed as fact? I agree with that, but as far as the information available to us, this is the most factual timeline I've seen in this thread. If you want to say he was getting nil as an under recruited 3 star coming back for his sophomore year after avg 3 ppg as a freshman. Then I can't argue with that because I don't know. Just seems like he wasn't a kid that was in demand and required any convincing to stay besides the scholarship..
Huh? Where did I say there shouldn’t be any opinions? I’m not saying that and I’m not telling anybody else what to do or think.

All I’m saying is that we don’t really have any proven fact, at least that I am aware of. We just have some rumors. And as @Richard Schnyderite said earlier in his post, we should take the rumors with a grain of salt.

I always feel a little sheepish whenever I realize I’m forming opinions, or judging people, when I don’t have enough factual information to reach accurate conclusions. And lately I’ve been pushing back (for myself) against the popular trend (fed by social media) of feeling it necessary to form an opinion about all kinds of stuff that isn’t really any of my business; that doesn’t impact me, or about which I have no control.

Again, I’m not suggesting others stop doing that stuff. Do what you want.

Reactions: Jerseylegends
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT