ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson is a Must Win

Must win? Seriously? What terrible thing will happen if we lose?

No, it's not a must-win. Yes, it'd be awesome if RU wins despite the injury situation. Might help some with team confidence. And it won't happen without improved shooting, so if we win, that'll also be a positive.

But win or lose, if Geo's still out and Harper is ailing, then some players will get more playing time. And that additional playing time will make them that little bit better for the experience.

No must win because we've already crushed the early out of conference portion of the season. Terrible things have already happened. This could be just another disappointment with some potential benefits as Mr. Mild has suggested. Seton Hall looming.

The season is already over. Maybe they get 10-12 wins this year. Maybe
Not for me, the season isn't over.

For sure we aren't looking NCAA tournament bound, at least not at the moment and not unless we suddenly remember how to shoot and play defense. But then we've only made it to the tournament 7 times since 1906 (would be 8 if 2020 wasn't cancelled) , with the last time (prior to 2021) being 30 years ago.

Having a tournament appearance as one's season defining expectation, for RU at the moment, is a recipe for unhappiness. Hoping for it made perfect sense, after all we would've made to two seasons in a row. But expecting it? RU? People doing that have short memories.

For me, the season is just starting. I've adjusted my expectations downwards, for now, based on what I've seen so far. I'll enjoy watching the team improve throughout the season; watching the younger players improve. If we only get 10 wins, then I guess I'll get the most enjoyment from those 10 games. But I'm still going to watch them all and cheer on the team.

For sure we aren't looking NCAA tournament bound, at least not at the moment and not unless we suddenly remember how to shoot and play defense. But then we've only made it to the tournament 7 times since 1906 (would be 8 if 2020 wasn't cancelled) , with the last time (prior to 2021) being 30 years ago.

Having a tournament appearance as one's season defining expectation, for RU at the moment, is a recipe for unhappiness. Hoping for it made perfect sense, after all we would've made to two seasons in a row. But expecting it? RU? People doing that have short memories.

For me, the season is just starting. I've adjusted my expectations downwards, for now, based on what I've seen so far. I'll enjoy watching the team improve throughout the season; watching the younger players improve. If we only get 10 wins, then I guess I'll get the most enjoyment from those 10 games. But I'm still going to watch them all and cheer on the team.
My expectations were not the tournament. Recruiting has been abysmal the last 20 months. I love the optimism, but my issue is the team has not been enjoyable to watch. Even when we made the tournament last year, you had no idea what you were about to turn on. In some of our biggest games last year we got smoked by Nebraska and UMD. In the end, they delivered, but it’s such an awful product to watch. How can you blow a 17 point lead to Umass? Football is supposed to be the team that I enjoy watching the rebuild. This isn’t supposed to be a team where I go “I’m looking forward to seeing the young guys improve.”

My expectations were not the tournament. Recruiting has been abysmal the last 20 months. I love the optimism, but my issue is the team has not been enjoyable to watch. Even when we made the tournament last year, you had no idea what you were about to turn on. In some of our biggest games last year we got smoked by Nebraska and UMD. In the end, they delivered, but it’s such an awful product to watch. How can you blow a 17 point lead to Umass? Football is supposed to be the team that I enjoy watching the rebuild. This isn’t supposed to be a team where I go “I’m looking forward to seeing the young guys improve.”
The team has certainly been inconsistent and, at times, hard to watch. Even last season, as you say. OTOH, it was great fun to watch at times last season. Lots of excitement and ups and downs. Was definitely entertaining and fun to be a part of it, as a fan.

It does seem that recruiting is not going well. But I'm not going to dwell on prognostications of doom. I have zero control over recruiting or how the team plays. So what's the point of miring myself in misery over negative predictions?

I'm hoping Pike gets the ship righted ASAP. If not, he'll eventually get fired and a new coach will get a try. We'll just have to see what happens. Life of a sports fan.

Reactions: biazza38
No such thing as a must win in November in college basketball.

If RU goes 2-2 in the next four, we'll all be happy campers.
That’s the thing. After Clemson the next 3 we will be heavy underdogs in all 3. Have to win against Clemson or we’re most likely (but not definitely) looking at a 3-7 start, with the only hope being finishing out of the big ten basement. But sure, I’ll take winning any of the following 3 over beating Clemson. Make it happen!

Im picking Clemson but it also wouldnt surprise me if RU won, Tigers just are not that good this year and Im unimpressed with their results thus far
They are like us right now......give them a reason to lose and they will. Not sure what happens when two teams like this play.

well to be fair, their wins are better and their losses are better and they shoot the 3 well
they have shot the 3 better. so did we early last season............

Id like to think the RAC is the difference. I'd like to think it, but I am not sure I believe it.

9PM start I am going to be looking for my warm milk and cookies

Reactions: Knightmoves
Geo is out
its definitely a must win to realistically have hopes of making the ncaa tournament

you cannot go 6-5 OOC...if so RU would likely have to go 13-7 in league play which is not happening in any world

Exaxtly ...I think Clemson AND Seton hall are must wins to have a chance to make NCAA ...and one of the first three big ten games ...

Can’t think about anything but Clemson

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
Geo is out
its definitely a must win to realistically have hopes of making the ncaa tournament

you cannot go 6-5 OOC...if so RU would likely have to go 13-7 in league play which is not happening in any world
If there is anybody with hopes that we'll make the NCAA tournament, they need to snap out of it. This year is going to be really bad and you just need to brace yourself for further disappointment. This program is in a bad place

We don’t expect it , but making the tournament in this sport is the only thing that matters. That’s the hard truth.

Its a must win for any realistic expectation for a NCAA bid.The three losses to out of conference opponents leaves the team with little margin for error and requires upsets against highly ranked teams.Right now a winning season might be a challenge to achieve.Sadly, the blame game will take up most of fan discussion in coming weeks because in sports winning is the only thing that matters.

Wonderful perspective.
I could never in a million years root for my teams in that fashion, I admit it.
I curse coach’s, throw pillows at the TV and can’t stand to see my teams lose.
I try to coach along every minute and live and die witb each possession.
I’ve tried using perspective and the “we are heathy it’s only a game” outlook but it doesn’t work.
I don’t marvel at how good the competition is when we can’t compete, I marvel at how woeful or incompetent we are.
For me, this will never change

Wonderful perspective.
I could never in a million years root for my teams in that fashion, I admit it.
I curse coach’s, throw pillows at the TV and can’t stand to see my teams lose.
I try to coach along every minute and live and die witb each possession.
I’ve tried using perspective and the “we are heathy it’s only a game” outlook but it doesn’t work.
I don’t marvel at how good the competition is when we can’t compete, I marvel at how woeful or incompetent we are.
For me, this will never change
When I played sports, especially wrestling which is so personal always being 1 v 1, I hated losing more than anything. I was deeply emotionally invested. Even today, when I have a bad game in one of the meaningless pickup soccer games I organize, it can put me in a bad mood for the whole day.

But I've just never been that way as a fan of any sport or team. Of course I get excited or bummed out during games. But once the game ends, I move on to the next thing for the day. Bad seasons aren't as much fun as good seasons. But I have a lot of interests and a lot of sources of entertainment. So when one isn't particularly fun, I switch focus to another.

For me, I see life as far too short to waste it being miserable about something, especially a sporting contest in which I'm not even participating.

That works for me. But everyone's mileage varies with this sort of stuff. So everybody has to do what works for them.

When I played sports, especially wrestling which is so personal always being 1 v 1, I hated losing more than anything. I was deeply emotionally invested. Even today, when I have a bad game in one of the meaningless pickup soccer games I organize, it can put me in a bad mood for the whole day.

But I've just never been that way as a fan of any sport or team. Of course I get excited or bummed out during games. But once the game ends, I move on to the next thing for the day. Bad seasons aren't as much fun as good seasons. But I have a lot of interests and a lot of sources of entertainment. So when one isn't particularly fun, I switch focus to another.

For me, I see life as far too short to waste it being miserable about something, especially a sporting contest in which I'm not even participating.

That works for me. But everyone's mileage varies with this sort of stuff. So everybody has to do what works for them.
I love to compete and hate to lose.
when I chop it up I forgive myself…lol.
Watching my daughter play is quite nerve racking!

Last edited:
Who knows, maybe the forced lineup changes will somehow get this team moving.

basketball-player-performing-slum-dunk-oneinchpunch.jpg

The team has no desire and no balls. Can’t win a game when you play sans testicles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT