ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff Omoruyi Planning Visits

In 4 years with Mike Williams we won 9 BIG games. He leaves and all of a sudden we win 7 in 1 year.

Mike Williams didn't have the ball in his hands 40-50% of all offensive possessions.

I did overate Mike Williams. Can't play the 2 or 3 and miss as many perimeter shots as he did. A shame because he did everything else. I loved the way he played otherwise.

Last edited:
And that has nothing to do with a good freshman class and Myles Johnson development? I just stated a fact that a few out of state recruits know more of the name Corey Sanders then they know about Rutgers. Do you dispute that?

IM(NS)HO the primary reason why we improved was Corey leaving. Secondarily the good freshman class was a reason too.

Yes out of state recruits know who Corey Sanders is. Has that helped us?

As I have said many times.....Corey was a good teammate, I had no problem with his effort, he was a very good defensive player. His inability to shoot from the outside and his inability to pass when penetrating made our offense remarkable inefficient.

FIG, It's bc of the entire different roster filled with much better talent. Corey was surrounded by bums. You honestly think we would have been better Corey's other years too without him? He was the one holding the team back? Wildly bad take Fig come on. If it wasn't for Sanders we probably win 0 B1G games over that span and that's not an exaggeration.

When the team wins more games this season it's bc EO was holding them back these last few years too then right? It won't be because of Yeboah Young Mulcahy and the growth for freshman and first year B1G players in Harper Caleb Mathis Myles Carter. It will be due to the increased offensive efficiency we get from losing EO. EO was clearly holding us back this whole time! If only we could have gotten rid of him sooner!

Just make sure your bad take is consistent between Sanders and Eugene bc we are going to win more games and be more efficient offensively this season

Years ago, I only realized where Gonzaga was after I landed in Spokane on my way to C'oure d'alene.

I bet 95% of the kids wouldn't have a clue either.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
We won 7 games last year! He won 7 in 3 years. Look at his stats!

I am sorry. I told everyone last year our offense would be better. It seemed obvious to me.

Years ago, I only realized where Gonzaga was after I landed in Spokane on my way to C'oure d'alene.

I bet 95% of the kids wouldn't have a clue either.
Any HS baller knows where Gonzaga is and probably knows the coach's name too.

Last edited:
Reactions: silkcitypirate
FIG, It's bc of the entire different roster filled with much better talent. Corey was surrounded by bums. You honestly think we would have been better Corey's other years too without him? He was the one holding the team back? Wildly bad take Fig come on. If it wasn't for Sanders we probably win 0 B1G games over that span and that's not an exaggeration.

When the team wins more games this season it's bc EO was holding them back these last few years too then right? It won't be because of Yeboah Young Mulcahy and the growth for freshman and first year B1G players in Harper Caleb Mathis Myles Carter. It will be due to the increased offensive efficiency we get from losing EO. EO was clearly holding us back this whole time! If only we could have gotten rid of him sooner!

Just make sure your bad take is consistent between Sanders and Eugene bc we are going to win more games and be more efficient offensively this season

" Bums " ?

Out of line IMO

We won 7 games last year! He won 7 in 3 years. Look at his stats!

I am sorry. I told everyone last year our offense would be better. It seemed obvious to me.

That doesn’t mean Sanders set the program back.

Sorry you’re a moron. Stop picking on the kid it’s getting old.

Reactions: TODDB33
15 years ago, no one, in basketball or not, had heard of Gonzaga, outside the Northwest. It is like a pretty good school like Drake. You could ask a 100 people in the Northeast and maybe 5 would know it is in Des Moines, Iowa. I do think it is strange though that in 2019 that kids wouldn’t know at least that Rutgers is in the Northeast. We are the 41st ranked university in the world, have hundreds of thousands of alumni around the country, and have various sports on national TV almost every week. It is not like we are Georgian Court, Bloomfield, or Seton Hall.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
15 years ago, no one, in basketball or not, had heard of Gonzaga, outside the Northwest. It is like a pretty good school like Drake. You could ask a 100 people in the Northeast and maybe 5 would know it is in Des Moines, Iowa. I do think it is strange though that in 2019 that kids wouldn’t know at least that Rutgers is in the Northeast. We are the 41st ranked university in the world, have hundreds of thousands of alumni around the country, and have various sports on national TV almost every week. It is not like we are Georgian Court, Bloomfield, or Seton Hall.
Funny post as usual. You probably neverr heard of a guy named Bing Crosby either. Oh, he graduated from Gonzaga and many knew that since he was also a major donor.

Last edited:
Funny post as usual. You probably eer heard of a guy named Bing Crosby either. Oh, he graduated from Gonzaga and many knew that since he was also a major donor.

giphy.gif

Hahaha, wrong.

You would have to go back farther than 2004. Because that Gonzaga team had Ronny Turiaf and Adam Morrison. I watched them beat Maryland that season.

John Stockton was pretty good. Although in fairness I don't recall him putting them on the map.

Adam Morrison has a strong showing on the all bust team in the NBA over the past 25 years.

EDIT: Actually reading he had a terrible knee injury so I'll keep him off the list just like Jay Williams or Bobby Hurley

Last edited:
I had a Florida kid, who had a RU offer, ask me where Rutgers was. He seriously had no idea.
Not surprised. That same kid probably couldn't tell you what states Stanford, Creighton, Marquette & Xavier are located in? If a school doesn't have it's state's name in it then a lot of high school kids don't know where it is.

Last edited:
Not surprised. That same kid probably couldn't tell you what states Stanford, Creighton, Marquette & Xavier are located in? If a school doesn't have it's state's name in it then a lot of high school kids don't know where it is.
He was getting interest from Marquette and Xavier & knew where they were located. He mentioned not being interested in going to school "up north."

He was getting interest from Marquette and Xavier & knew where they were located. He mentioned not being interested in going to school "up north."
I gotta say then Russ that this kid isn't too swift as both schools are up north and one is well north of us, and I'm sorry, I just don't believe the average BB recruit can tell you where Xavier is unless they look it up, same as they might do with Rutgers

33% of high school kids can't even tell you where Washington DC is on a map.

Last edited:

Sorry but your anecdotal examples hold no water. If a kid is interested or drawing interest from a school, it's a good bet they use the google machine or otherwise to find out there the school is at.

None of those schools are state schools...

I gotta say then Russ that this kid isn't too swift as both schools are up north and one is well north of us, and I'm sorry, I just don't believe the average BB recruit can tell you where Xavier is unless they look it up, same as they might do with Rutgers

33% of high school kids can't even tell you where Washington DC is on a map.
I never said he had above average intelligence, just that he knew where Marquette and Xavier were located. Maybe someone told him. Maybe he saw them play on TV & heard the TV announcers say where those two schools were from. He definitely knew Corey Sanders played at Rutgers, he just didn't know where the school was located when I interviewed him.
Sorry but your anecdotal examples hold no water. If a kid is interested or drawing interest from a school, it's a good bet they use the google machine or otherwise to find out there the school is at.
My anecdotal examples hold no water? LOL I'm not giving examples. I'm stating a fact. He was getting interest from Marquette and Xavier & knew where they were located.

Chances are good that he never looked up where Rutgers was located because by the time they offered he had pretty much made up his mind where he was going to go to school.

John Stockton was pretty good. Although in fairness I don't recall him putting them on the map.

Adam Morrison has a strong showing on the all bust team in the NBA over the past 25 years.

EDIT: Actually reading he had a terrible knee injury so I'll keep him off the list just like Jay Williams or Bobby Hurley
And he was a diabetic.

I never said he had above average intelligence, just that he knew where Marquette and Xavier were located. Maybe someone told him. Maybe he saw them play on TV & heard the TV announcers say where those two schools were from. He definitely knew Corey Sanders played at Rutgers, he just didn't know where the school was located when I interviewed him.

My anecdotal examples hold no water? LOL I'm not giving examples. I'm stating a fact. He was getting interest from Marquette and Xavier & knew where they were located.

Chances are good that he never looked up where Rutgers was located because by the time they offered he had pretty much made up his mind where he was going to go to school.

Let me try this again......

Did he know where Marquette and Xavier where located before he was getting interest from these programs?

NJH says it is because our program was not equipped to make players better....i dont buy that as the primary reason.

I think it's a big part of the reason - but it's not just facilities, it was the coaching.

Eddie Jordan was out of his depth and didn't know how to teach fundamentals (or didn't have any interest in it - rebounding not being "in his coaching package" and all). Mike Rice was a nut who turned off some of our better players, leading them to either shut down (Miller) or want out (Biruta). FHJ was also pretty terrible (handling of Inman, handling of Echenique's eye injury, letting Rosario have free rein, etc).

It seems as though Pike has coaching ability and lacks the flaws of his most recent three predecessors. That's a big thing. Adding in better facilities also helps.

But you're right, that it needs to turn into winning seasons before we break through on the recruiting scene.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT