ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Nunz Camp is making an Impact at RU Recruiting.

BlockR

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2015
over the last month and half has landed kids from Montclair,St Petes and Depaul and thats not to mention his previous influence on landing Bolds,Singleton Aliamo going to RU.
Its clear that not only is Nunz the common denominator in all these signing,it will play a more then likely impact on next HC at end of season IMHO.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

over the last month and half has landed kids from Montclair,St Petes and Depaul and thats not to mention his previous influence on landing Bolds,Singleton Aliamo going to RU.
Its clear that not only is Nunz the common denominator in all these signing,it will play a more then likely impact on next HC at end of season IMHO.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
In my opinion if ya’ll get rid of Ash, I bet ya’ll hire Nunz brother Anthony and he’s going to keep Nunz.

In my opinion if ya’ll get rid of Ash, I bet ya’ll hire Nunz brother Anthony and he’s going to keep Nunz.
58189981.jpg

Hopefully you are right. The positive recruiting results by the Ash hire will reflect well on the current regime and will be reflected by results on the field.

Anthony C also can leave to become the Rutgers DC with no penalty/buyout. It doesn't necessarily need to be a head coach position.
Why would he leave Michigan to be a DC at RU? Hes clearly learning at a blue blood power 5 program to be a HC.

Why would he leave Michigan to be a DC at RU? Hes clearly learning at a blue blood power 5 program to be a HC.

Pay raise? More responsibility? Closer to family?
He makes 415k at Michigan. McNulty now is making over 600k.

I'm guessing he asked for that coordinator stipulation to be added to the contract. Why is it there if he wouldn't at least consider becoming a DC at Rutgers?

I'm guessing he asked for that coordinator stipulation to be added to the contract. Why is it there if he wouldn't at least consider becoming a DC at Rutgers?

It is boiler plate language in the contract of every assistant coach .

The alleged story is he only wants to come back as the HC,and wants to build his resume,and learn at a winning traditional program first,and that he turned down Ash.

Should it be necessary in the future I really hope these Campanile whispers and talk for HC aren't serious....not a fan of such a move. It reminds me of Flood's hire. So many here want guys with experience that you're not even happy with qualified coordinator names how is that kind of name satisfactory or worthy at this point in his career.

If you want Jersey ties, I like Elko much more and a guy who has done more with less at previous stops in his career. If you're looking at Michigan's staff Josh Gattis their new OC is an up an coming name and known to be a pretty good recruiter. There others too I'd prefer should we need it.

Reactions: Big East Beast
You seriously think that after striking out with a first time head coach, Hobbs is going to hire another first time head coach with a far less impressive resume?

It will be the most important hire of his career. My guess is he is going to go with an experienced head coach.

To recruit Jersey ya gotta be Jersey. Being Italian too helps.
Yes because we have so many Italians on our football squad. Have you ever watched one of our games? Now if you said wrestling, well that's a different story entirely. We have the Goomba All-Star team. And they're pretty damn good, but football? Man, come on.:)

Because it's a step up from Defensive ASSITANT Coach. You really think Harbaugh is going to get rid of Don Brown in favor of Campanile or the other board favorite Partridge? You're nuts. The name of the game is to keep forwarding your career and building a resume. Not staying idle.

The Campanile's may well be future RU head coaches or coordinators but that's not going to happen for a while. I agree with the posters who say Hobbs will not hire another assistant, he learned his lesson with Ash. (That is if Ash isn't successful this season and gets canned.)

The Campanile's may well be future RU head coaches or coordinators but that's not going to happen for a while. I agree with the posters who say Hobbs will not hire another assistant, he learned his lesson with Ash. (That is if Ash isn't successful this season and gets canned.)
I think Hobbs learned his lesson from Ash disaster BUT,with Barchi here we may be one more HC and full share cycle away from hiring a proven power five HC.If a boosters steps up,a proven HC could be hired but dont be surprised if it's the Camps takeover at end of November .that's the rumours and smoke signals.

Anthony would be on staff now if Ash wasn't such a blockhead and actually listened to the people around the program that said he needed to be retained.
I spoke with a former player, highly respected by his teammates and this board, and he told me AC was the best coach on the entire staff. This was independent of his recruiting ability.

I think Hobbs learned his lesson from Ash disaster BUT,with Barchi here we may be one more HC and full share cycle away from hiring a proven power five HC.If a boosters steps up,a proven HC could be hired but dont be surprised if it's the Camps takeover at end of November .that's the rumours and smoke signals.

I guess we'll see but i would be surprised by that. Hobbs is going to have explain why Ash was a bad hire. He isn't going to say HE picked the wrong guy (which would be the truth), he will go to the most obvious excuse. In this case, he will say "we need a proven head coach to compete in the BIG10 blah, blah blah". He will then go out and hire an experienced coach. The odds of him hiring a good coach will be the same, but people will buy the story.

Remember, Barchi, the board, and big boosters (that's a lot of b's!) need to approve of the hire. Human nature, especially in group think, is to do the opposite of the last mistake. Even if Hobbs likes Camp, the machine won't let him do it regardless of the $$.

Reactions: BlockR
You seriously think that after striking out with a first time head coach, Hobbs is going to hire another first time head coach with a far less impressive resume?

It will be the most important hire of his career. My guess is he is going to go with an experienced head coach.
If you look at all Hobbs other head coach hires for sports other than football, I believe they have all had head coach positions. He will not replace Ash with another coordinator.

If you look at all Hobbs other head coach hires for sports other than football, I believe they have all had head coach positions. He will not replace Ash with another coordinator.
again,I think Hobbs finally gets it about never been assts as HC in B10. HOWEVER,with the Barchi factor and no full share come November,Im not feeling warm and fuzzy that an EX power 5 HC will be hired to take over.
Betting money will be with the Camps,minus a donor stepping in with $$.

Also, neglected to mention I agree with OP, Nunzio appears to be having a huge impact. Hope he can keep it up.

Reactions: Wolv RU
The alleged story is he only wants to come back as the HC,and wants to build his resume,and learn at a winning traditional program first,and that he turned down Ash.

I'd suspect it may be most accurate to say that he did not want to come to Rutgers as an assistant (DC) last off season. I don't think it is a certainty that he would not come as DC for a potentially new coach, especially an offensive minded one where the DC will have a lot of influence. Otherwise, why have a carve-out for that scenario in his contract with Michigan.

It is boiler plate language in the contract of every assistant coach .

In this case, that is not true. It is language that specifically carves out Rutgers. He can't leave to be an assistant at any other Big Ten East school without a buyout penalty except for Rutgers. If he becomes the Rutgers head coach or its DC, there is no penalty.

Reactions: RUonBrain

But what is the main issue with Ash? Is it the coaching, or the recruiting? I'd say it's the latter. And that imo, has a lot to do with him being a midwest guy.

Thus I think I'd rather hire a North East guy, better yet a Jersey guy, who has shone he can recruit the area, then bring in a veteran coach who coached at Purdue or Vanderbilt and has no ties here.

Should it be necessary in the future I really hope these Campanile whispers and talk for HC aren't serious....not a fan of such a move. It reminds me of Flood's hire. So many here want guys with experience that you're not even happy with qualified coordinator names how is that kind of name satisfactory or worthy at this point in his career.

If you want Jersey ties, I like Elko much more and a guy who has done more with less at previous stops in his career. If you're looking at Michigan's staff Josh Gattis their new OC is an up an coming name and known to be a pretty good recruiter. There others too I'd prefer should we need it.
Sadly those whispers are very real. I say this as someone who is a huge fan of the campanile brothers. However, we simply can’t make the mistake of going to a first time HC again. But we just might

Reactions: BlockR

He is still striking out with the top guys in North Jersey, so lets slow down the recruiter of the year talk....lol.

In addition , I'm pretty sure Joseph was the lead recruiter for Mack and the DL Coach snagged Wright from St. Peter's. But, Nunz did get Collin's and Nicky Bags.

But what is the main issue with Ash? Is it the coaching, or the recruiting? I'd say it's the latter. And that imo, has a lot to do with him being a midwest guy.

Thus I think I'd rather hire a North East guy, better yet a Jersey guy, who has shone he can recruit the area, then bring in a veteran coach who coached at Purdue or Vanderbilt and has no ties here.

Not sure what the main issue is but good recruiting covers up a lot of issues. I agree, he hasn't shown he is a top notch recruiter.

i don't think it matters as much where you are from in recruiting. You are either good at it or not. Not having local ties makes it even harder, so yes a north east guy would be preferred.

He didn’t go to Michigan because they are a blue blood. He went to continue to learn from Don Brown who he considers to be the best defensive mind in the game. He would have followed him anywhere.

Sadly those whispers are very real. I say this as someone who is a huge fan of the campanile brothers. However, we simply can’t make the mistake of going to a first time HC again. But we just might
Well that’s a downer. You know I’m perfectly fine with qualified coordinators with some offensive connections/background even again after Ash but to go even farther down the totem pole is inexplicable to me.

Why wouldn’t the decision makers like Elko if you want jersey ties. Frankly strong offensive background or connections are priority 1 and where do you get that with guys who haven’t been around long enough to have a nice network of good connections to fill out a staff adequately specifically the coordinators (opposite side of the ball especially). I’m not as down about what’s going on as everyone seems to be. I see it resolving soon for better or worse.

But a prospect of this type of hire would be a downer for the next handful of years as opposed to the very near term. Coordinators, G5, ex P5 all good to me but this kind of hire would be quite disheartening.

Reactions: Wolv RU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT