ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Nunz Camp is making an Impact at RU Recruiting.

The problem is not a "first-time head coach." The problem is Chris Ash.

Plenty of first-time head coaches succeed. And plenty of guys who were from the small-school ranks succeeded when they got a job at a big-time school. Plenty of guys with a long resume didn't get it done, either.

Coaches succeed with ALL kinds of resumes, just as they fail with ALL kinds of resumes. This mantra of "experienced head coach" or even funnier "experienced P5 head coach" is a little silly when you consider the pool of candidates who would risk their careers on taking the reins of this program. We are a mess right now, and, like it or not, Ash has to fix it, or at least get it closer to being a real program. With some signs of life on the field, the facilities, etc., can help lure somebody with more than a pulse to this job. But a moribund program with a few shiny bells and whistles is not much of an attraction.

Plenty of first-time head coaches succeed. And plenty of guys who were from the small-school ranks succeeded when they got a job at a big-time school. Plenty of guys with a long resume didn't get it done, either.

Coaches succeed with ALL kinds of resumes, just as they fail with ALL kinds of resumes. This mantra of "experienced head coach" or even funnier "experienced P5 head coach" is a little silly when you consider the pool of candidates who would risk their careers on taking the reins of this program. We are a mess right now, and, like it or not, Ash has to fix it, or at least get it closer to being a real program. With some signs of life on the field, the facilities, etc., can help lure somebody with more than a pulse to this job. But a moribund program with a few shiny bells and whistles is not much of an attraction.

It’s about cost-benefit. It’s like buying penny stocks vs blue chips. We probably wouldn’t go with a Kansas approach and bring in a Les Miles-type name, but AC hasn’t even been a coordinator yet.

The most notable achievement on his Wikipedia page is mentoring Tyler Kroft.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Campanile

With all due respect to both men, wtf are people even talking about on this topic? I think people look at Schiano and see some similarities, but this isn’t the big east of 20 yrs ago. AC would be thrilled (and fortunate) to be DC at RU, forget about HC

Reactions: TRU2RU
It’s about cost-benefit. It’s like buying penny stocks vs blue chips. We probably wouldn’t go with a Kansas approach and bring in a Les Miles-type name, but AC hasn’t even been a coordinator yet.

The most notable achievement on his Wikipedia page is mentoring Tyler Kroft.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Campanile

With all due respect to both men, wtf are people even talking about on this topic? I think people look at Schiano and see some similarities, but this isn’t the big east of 20 yrs ago. AC would be thrilled (and fortunate) to be DC at RU, forget about HC
You are getting your football knowledge base from Wiki?
You do know he was co defensive cord at BC and they had 3rd best pass efficiency defense in nation when he was there,right?

Can you list the first time head coaches who have walked into the Big or SEC and been successful. Not at a place like OSU but at a comparable program to ours.

Reactions: TRU2RU
This is selective memory. Schiano’s staff was always turning over because he worked them especially hard.
so hard that they all followed him to the NFL,minus Elmer Flood who he left behind?
Selective History ?

over the last month and half has landed kids from Montclair,St Petes and Depaul and thats not to mention his previous influence on landing Bolds,Singleton Aliamo going to RU.
Its clear that not only is Nunz the common denominator in all these signing,it will play a more then likely impact on next HC at end of season IMHO.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
Why do you continue to same posts over and over and over again over various threads. If you have nothing better to say, why say it continuously?

so hard that they all followed him to the NFL,minus Elmer Flood who he left behind?
Selective History ?

Of course they moved to the NFL. No one was going to say NO to more money and an opportunity of a lifetime.

And BTW: everyone works hard in the NFL. It goes with the territory.

Of course they moved to the NFL. No one was going to say NO to more money and an opportunity of a lifetime.

And BTW: everyone works hard in the NFL. It goes with the territory.
I agree yet many posters here have criticized Schiano for taking a NFL head coach job and doubling his pay. Many are quick to shit on Greg but if it was not for him we would have sucked for all 150 years of our football existence. I will always appreciate what he did and he even turned down the U of Miami and freaking Michigan to stay at Rutgers. To me that is incredible Michigan and Miami to stay here. Some of you are incredible lol.

I agree yet many posters here have criticized Schiano for taking a NFL head coach job and doubling his pay. Many are quick to shit on Greg but if it was not for him we would have sucked for all 150 years of our football existence. I will always appreciate what he did and he even turned down the U of Miami and freaking Michigan to stay at Rutgers. To me that is incredible Michigan and Miami to stay here. Some of you are incredible lol.

100% Correct. Greg willed this program to success through the sheer force of his personality. Lots of hard work went into transforming Rutgers from the dregs of college football into a respectable program that could compete with anyone. People started taking Greg for granted. I don’t think anyone else could have accomplished what he did.

100% Correct. Greg willed this program to success through the sheer force of his personality. Lots of hard work went into transforming Rutgers from the dregs of college football into a respectable program that could compete with anyone. People started taking Greg for granted. I don’t think anyone else could have accomplished what he did.
The Schiano/Mulcahy/McCormick trifecta made RU FB something to be proud of and brought forth the expectations of greatness that (though unfilled) is still expected today
I'd say Greg wouldn't have been as successful without Bob's backing and Bob wouldn't have been able to back Schiano if Dick didn't give Mulcahy a free hand.

without Schiano we would be Uconn.
If Hobbs and Barchi continue to destroy the Football program ,we may still end up like Uconn.Dont think its not possible. When Uconn was playing in a BCS bowl not that long ago,do you think their fan base thought they would wind up where they are today?

Reactions: chrisru99
The Schiano/Mulcahy/McCormick trifecta made RU FB something to be proud of and brought forth the expectations of greatness that (though unfilled) is still expected today
I'd say Greg wouldn't have been as successful without Bob's backing and Bob wouldn't have been able to back Schiano if Dick didn't give Mulcahy a free hand.

Without bob and dick’s backing, Schiano would have left for Miami or Michigan. Only when dick announced his resignation, did Schiano leave, because he saw the writing on the wall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT