ADVERTISEMENT

College basketball added another media timeout

I believe this is optional (and it's ****ing stupid so I hope they decline the option)

Media timeouts​

Conferences as well as the National Invitation Tournament can experiment using five media timeouts on the first dead-ball situations under the 17-minute, 14-minute, 11-minute, 8-minute and 4-minute marks of either half.

The rationale is to help the flow of the game so commercial breaks will not be taken when teams use their allotted timeouts.

I believe this is optional (and it's ****ing stupid so I hope they decline the option)

Media timeouts​

Conferences as well as the National Invitation Tournament can experiment using five media timeouts on the first dead-ball situations under the 17-minute, 14-minute, 11-minute, 8-minute and 4-minute marks of either half.

The rationale is to help the flow of the game so commercial breaks will not be taken when teams use their allotted timeouts.
What is the root word of rationale? Hmmm.

While I am at it. Flopping rule is dumb. Refs can determine what is a charge and what isn’t a charge. If a player flops he is on the ground and can’t play D or rebound.

Too many times I see bigs bully their way to the basket protected by the flop rule. Use a jump stop and you won’t charge

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Now at 17-14-11-8-4. That’s really ridiculous. Guess it helps teams with less depth like us but I still hate it.
I'm old enough to remember thinking that tv timeouts would ruin basketball and football. Momentum killers.
Not sure that I was wrong.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I'm old enough to remember thinking that tv timeouts would ruin basketball and football. Momentum killers.
Not sure that I was wrong.
I will admit they come in handy at the RAC as you get older. Bathroom lines are too long at the half. As the ref is blowing the whistle after 16:00 you are out of your seat and ready to bolt. Your fellow fans in your row know the drill and they know to get up. You are back in your seat well before the players are back on the floor.

Has to be a pure money grab, no need to disrupt the flow of the game with the additional media timeout. They already sneak in a 30 second commercial when teams call timeout when they do not go to the media now this. Lets hope that the BIG does not do this since they tend to run commercials promoting their own members or their own programming.

Now at 17-14-11-8-4. That’s really ridiculous. Guess it helps teams with less depth like us but I still hate it.
Well if players can't play a whole game now with that much rest than they have to be out of shape just a joke

Well if players can't play a whole game now with that much rest than they have to be out of shape just a joke
One of my nephews was a D1 player and back when he was playing I asked him why he couldn’t play 40 minutes with all those media timeouts. He said yeah, probably should be able to.

Reactions: Plum Street
While I am at it. Flopping rule is dumb. Refs can determine what is a charge and what isn’t a charge. If a player flops he is on the ground and can’t play D or rebound.

Too many times I see bigs bully their way to the basket protected by the flop rule. Use a jump stop and you won’t charge
Yes literally the dumbest rule - and the fact that it was implemented recently makes it even worse. No reason it shouldn’t be allowed. Who cares?

Media timeouts​

How does adding another stoppage help flow of game?

I will admit they come in handy at the RAC as you get older. Bathroom lines are too long at the half. As the ref is blowing the whistle after 16:00 you are out of your seat and ready to bolt. Your fellow fans in your row know the drill and they know to get up. You are back in your seat well before the players are back on the floor.
Haha, made me laugh

This blows - not great for the game but we will all suck it up. Ugh.

Maybe they can follow the NFL / NCAA college football paradigm:

Time out / or commercials after:
KO's
Xtra Points
Changes of possession
Punts
Video Reviews
PLUS the all important Coaches time outs, 2 minute warning (NFL)...the game ? will soon be an all day affair- making baseball seem like an event on high speed.

Such excitement....Unbelieveable!

MO

Counting all the reviews that last 2-3 mins and players get to go to bench exactly how many time outs are there now gonna b?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT