ADVERTISEMENT

College Rugby Tourney

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Every first week of June, they have the National College Rugby Tourney in Chester, PA just outside of Philly. Wish RU had a team good enough to play in that tourney. Also wish men's/women's rugby was a D1 sanctioned sport. It would be cool for a spring sport and I totally would watch RU rugby games at RU Stadium or at Yurcak. Probably would play at Yurcak since it's grass and RU Stadium hosts lax.

Every first week of June, they have the National College Rugby Tourney in Chester, PA just outside of Philly. Wish RU had a team good enough to play in that tourney. Also wish men's/women's rugby was a D1 sanctioned sport. It would be cool for a spring sport and I totally would watch RU rugby games at RU Stadium or at Yurcak. Probably would play at Yurcak since it's grass and RU Stadium hosts lax.

There are 9 NCAA sanctioned D1 Women's Rugby programs now:

American International
Army
Brown
Dartmouth
Eastern Illinois
Harvard
Mount St. Mary's
Quinnipiac
Sacred Heart

With the elimination of the 5 varsity sports awhile back - some of which with far more alumni financial support, it will be along time before RU Rugby ever sniffs varsity status. The women have a better chance as a title 9 complement to another sport.

The CRC 7's tournament is so successful, is because it is not run by USA Rugby and is not technically a national championship.

Until college rugby has its own national organization organizing it, it will never reach its full potential. So many attempts at a national premier league have been scuttled by coaches with parochial views.

although if the new major league rugby this year having a TV contract (game of week on CBS SN and all games streamed on espn+) starts getting the ratings and starts drawing more fans, I could see rugby getting airtime on BTN

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT