ADVERTISEMENT

Commitements Should Mean $omething

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
We lose a coach for $ome reason... and we lo$e a recruit because he rethink$ hi$ commitment.

It's time that ALL coaches are either on board and in for the duration of the HC ....or we find someone who is.

There should be a bonus for recruits who pledge and sign/ a penalty for commits who pledge and then have 2nd thought$.

Sick of this.

And NO I don't wish any of them good luck....even the poor 17 or 18 year olds who can't tell that a commitment is something to be honored!

MO

This is what happens when there are coaching changes. Who knows maybe RU brings someone in who has ties to recruits and can get a flip. I have no idea what happens from now til signing day but I don't think it ends in a net positive for RU. That being said, it will still end up the best class since 2012.

We lose a coach for $ome reason... and we lo$e a recruit because he rethink$ hi$ commitment.

It's time that ALL coaches are either on board and in for the duration of the HC ....or we find someone who is.

There should be a bonus for recruits who pledge and sign/ a penalty for commits who pledge and then have 2nd thought$.

Sick of this.

And NO I don't wish any of them good luck....even the poor 17 or 18 year olds who can't tell that a commitment is something to be honored!

MO
Meh --- what is a kid commits to a coach and coach is dismissed or leaves after signing day. Much in the last decade has shown (1) the word of anyone being worth anything is rapidly diminishing to zero and (2) in today's hyper me and media focused world -- it is accepted and even relished. At some point, grab some popcorn and watch because I don't think those in positions of (1) and (2) care about (3) what the rest of us think.

Sick of this.

MO
Commitments should mean something? Aren't you on marriage number 4?

• Yes, all football employees must turn down raises and promotions offered by other employers. They should do this even though they do not have non-competes in their at-will contracts. Let's move on - no reason to try and make this bigger than it is.
@RutgersMO

Problem is you need to recruit the kids for the school. I recruited HS athletes in baseball back in the early 90's for a D1 school.The question you should ask each kid (and their parents) is "If on the first day of class you fall down some stairs, tear up your knee and you can never play ball again, are you happy you came to this school?" In the years I worked I never had a player change their mind after the told me they were coming.
Recruiting is now the coaches, the programs, TV, do we ever wear black uniforms?, etc. There may be lip service paid to the school but I can be pretty sure it's not near the top of the list.

Sick of this.

MO
By your reasoning, Ash shouldn't have come to RU, because Urban's still at Ohio State.

Sick of this.

MO
Commitments should mean something? Aren't you on marriage number 4?
:p :D :)

Commitements Should Mean $omething
It does, up until another school offers more financial incentive!
Gotta pay your head coach at least 3 million and your assistants and coordinators relative to their peers in the B1G, or forever be nothing more than a revolving door weak football playing school.
This is one chicken and egg scenario we control.
This won't change until Barchi leaves.

Part of the recruiting problem can be solved with a football early signing period when a commitment is final.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Sick of this.

MO
Very naive. You are telling us that you would turn down a promotion and a $50K-$100K raise. Right. You would have made the same choice otherwise your wife would be kicking your butt.

As for players, this is the only time they have any power. Once they sign LOI they are at the mercy of the transfer rules. While I don't like it when kids decommit, I can understand as this is the biggest decision they have or are going to make so far in their young life.

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
You are all missing the point on assistant coaches and staff. I've seen assistants extremely loyal to the school and as soon as the HC gets let go they are all out of work regardless if they personally are doing a good job or not! Hell it just happened here. Loyalty is a two way street and the street sign on most schools is "One Way". Say what you want but not all assistants and staff always agree with poor decisions their HC makes yet they are all lumped in with his failures because it is the HC who calls the shots. Give that some thought - it's not like in the real world where a lot of companies take the time to evaluate individuals.

Very naive. You are telling us that you would turn down a promotion and a $50K-$100K raise. Right. You would have made the same choice otherwise your wife would be kicking your butt.

As for players, this is the only time they have any power. Once they sign LOI they are at the mercy of the transfer rules. While I don't like it when kids decommit, I can understand as this is the biggest decision they have or are going to make so far in their young life.

I actually turned down a position in 2003 where my salary would have doubled (making over six figures ). I was just hired by a company right after Thanksgiving for half that amount... and a friend had helped me secure the job. I thought I owed something to him for helping me and the company for taking a chance on me.

As you know if you're in business your oral commitments and statements mean something too...and in some cases are enforceable.

MO

I actually turned down a position in 2003 where my salary would have doubled (making over six figures ). I was just hired by a company right after Thanksgiving for half that amount... and a friend had helped me secure the job. I thought I owed something to him for helping me and the company for taking a chance on me.

As you know if you're in business your oral commitments and statements mean something too...and in some cases are enforceable.

MO
I try to keep my oral commitments to a minimum.

It does, up until another school offers more financial incentive!

This won't change until Barchi leaves.

For better or worse, I think it's unlikely to change under a new president. There is not enough alumni or public support for spending big bucks on football. Maybe if Ash is a big success, he can get a high-dollar renewal, but that will depend on what alums are willing to kick it and on whether Ash can make the program popular. It's a chicken and egg problem just as Zappaa says: we won't have the public and alumni support for big money until we win, and we won't win without that same public and alumni support.

That won't change a thing. It will just move the timeline up for flipping kids.

I disagree.

Schools are now trying to round out their class by flipping some recruits who they did not initially want/recruit (3-star) because they believed they would get someone better (4-star).

However, the "Early Signing Period" would take all of those recruits off the table.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

RU will not be successful in the B1G east unless we hire a 6 million coach with star power who can attract recruits on his name alone. The RU football brand is not good so we need something dramatic and huge to make a difference. I know it will never happen,...just saying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT