ADVERTISEMENT

Comparing RU to our Big 10 "Peers"

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
Coming into this season, I viewed Purdue; Maryland; Indiana and Illinois as our peers in the sense that we're all the bottom feeders of the Big 10 and each school in essence has a new HC hired this / last year.

While the jury may still be out on Illinois, it's clear that Purdue; Maryland and Indiana have vastly improved - and we have not.

We need to show improvement and in my eyes - the logical 2 things are as follows:

- Get Lewis in there next week to get his feet wet as he is hopefully the future
- Ash needs to grow cajones and take risks to build confidence with this team - such as going for broke on 4th and inches etc.; executing flea flickers etc.........anything to inspire; boost morale....

1st B1G team to ever lose to EMU!!!!

They should put an asterisk next to that sentence.

Reactions: TheRacRU
- Ash needs to grow cajones and take risks to build confidence with this team - such as going for broke on 4th and inches etc.; executing flea flickers etc.........anything to inspire; boost morale....

It's this behavior that is starting to bother me. I can think of 2 trick plays we have run in 14 games. Our defense just sits like ducks, rarely stunts or blitzes. STs okruch is on thin ice to me and then Ash continues to think its the right move to punt on the 35/40 yard line on 4th and 5 yards.

It's this behavior that is starting to bother me. I can think of 2 trick plays we have run in 14 games. Our defense just sits like ducks, rarely stunts or blitzes. STs okruch is on thin ice to me and then Ash continues to think its the right move to punt on the 35/40 yard line on 4th and 5 yards.
He keeps showing that he has absolutely no confidence in his offense even against an inferior opponent at home by always punting in the opponents territory on 4th and gaining practically no net yards. To your other point I would kill for a fake punt or reverse at this point. Ash is painfully conservative.

Reactions: motorb54
I havent figured ash out yet. We went from hurry up-no huddle to the opposite. His decision on type of offense last year was horrendous. I think he learned in that respect. We dont have the horses to run an offense at that pace. But he is so conservative on 4th down, its mind boggling. Playing the field position game with below average special teams doesnt make sense. Hes calling the game based on the type of team he wants rather than the type of team he has.

I havent figured ash out yet. We went from hurry up-no huddle to the opposite. His decision on type of offense last year was horrendous. I think he learned in that respect. We dont have the horses to run an offense at that pace. But he is so conservative on 4th down, its mind boggling. Playing the field position game with below average special teams doesnt make sense. Hes calling the game based on the type of team he wants rather than the type of team he has.

This.

Coming into this season, I viewed Purdue; Maryland; Indiana and Illinois as our peers in the sense that we're all the bottom feeders of the Big 10 and each school in essence has a new HC hired this / last year.

I'd agree with Purdue and Illinois, but Indiana has gone to 2 straight bowl games and had several seasons of playing the big boys very close. Maryland went to a bowl game last year and has a lot more talent on the roster than Rutgers. So I wouldn't use either of those for much comparison.

There's no reason why this team can't be as good as the four schools mentioned by the OP but right now, Ash is learning on the job and inherited a talent starved team created by poor recruiting and poor player development. His decisions were frustrating poor and Kill's playcalling showed that he did not know the personel. I really believe that if this team played EMU in week 8, the game would have been different, but the game was yesterday. The result was negatively historic.

Please share what is giving you hope. A lot of people in our fan base are desperately looking for a glimmer of hope!
Here's your hope. Temper down your expectations. Look at the Institutions goals and objectives for this football program. Take a realistic look at the athletes we are recruiting. Look at the conference from the top down and ask yourself "who can we realistically beat?"

I firmly believe that coach Ash gets one more year (2018). In 2018 he should win at least 7 wins, but what happens if he only wins 5 games?? Well, if the AD and the Institution keeps him you'll then know that the primary objective is NOT to win at the highest level. So I beg the question why drive yourselves crazy with all this frustration?? Yes root for Rutgers, wish them well and pray that one day they will be able to repeat another year like 2006. But until that happens let me give you some friendly and sound advise. Go to the games, support the team but pick a second favorite team to root for like 99% of other NJ residents.

Reactions: RUnewjersey
Here's your hope. Temper down your expectations. Look at the Institutions goals and objectives for this football program. Take a realistic look at the athletes we are recruiting. Look at the conference from the top down and ask yourself "who can we realistically beat?"

I firmly believe that coach Ash gets one more year (2018). In 2018 he should win at least 7 wins, but what happens if he only wins 5 games?? Well, if the AD and the Institution keeps him you'll then know that the primary objective is NOT to win at the highest level.
Trap you forget "We're Still Broke" we now receive roughly $11 mil. from the B1G and an extra $3 mil. in 2018 isn't going to pay the bills. Win or lose Ash will be here for 4 to 5 yrs. we simply can't afford it. We may be B1G in name but monetarily wise we're still the red headed step-child. We couldn't even afford to pay Ash and staff and had to take out a loan, we're last in B1G coaching salaries for a reason. We're Broke and the B1G isn't going to help out until 2021, but at least Maryland got paid.

Has the B1G ever thrown a team out of the league like we did with Temple in the Big East? Thank God all the other Eastern teams also suck or I' d be watching for the dumpster.

Has the B1G ever thrown a team out of the league like we did with Temple in the Big East? Thank God all the other Eastern teams also suck or I' d be watching for the dumpster.
How can you throw somebody out when your only giving them 1/5th of what all the others are making and 1/4 of the other newcomer you brought in along with them? If they wanted us competitive immediately they would have voted for our buy in to be covered over a twenty year period. They chose 6 years and are getting exactly what they wanted, an increase in pay for little competition. The conference members voted for this, I highly doubt they just found out We're Broke.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
They won't throw you out, they'll take the money generated by having the NY market in the Big Ten Network footprint.

Trap you forget "We're Still Broke" we now receive roughly $11 mil. from the B1G and an extra $3 mil. in 2018 isn't going to pay the bills. Win or lose Ash will be here for 4 to 5 yrs. we simply can't afford it. We may be B1G in name but monetarily wise we're still the red headed step-child. We couldn't even afford to pay Ash and staff and had to take out a loan, we're last in B1G coaching salaries for a reason. We're Broke and the B1G isn't going to help out until 2021, but at least Maryland got paid.
Excellent post. But I must be honest it's tough to read and digest. In a way the B10 screwed us over. There was no need to stretch the revenue out to 2021.

The Big Ten screwed us over? We would fall to our knees in a heartbeat for that same deal today. Would you rather have something to look forward to while struggling or do slightly better with no hope of anything better ahead?

Ash is not the answer.

Football is one game where a coach can make a bad team good. good team great and a great team win the championship.

We have s situation where an average team went terrible with a coaching change. That is simply unacceptable.

Ash must go. He makes Flood look like a decent coach. We have not had a QB who can play the position since Nova left.

What are we recruiting?

Reactions: zazoo2002
Honest question from a psu fan. This is not a troll or anything like that I am genuinely interested in the answers to what I am about to ask.

At this point do any of you regret Rutgers joining the Big 10? I'm not saying that in a disrespectful way, i just believe that where RU is located they could have become a dominant mac level or old big east type of team and still have national accolades. If RU wasn't playing a Big 10 schedule I genuinely believe they could develop into a Boise State type of program on the east coast. Not a P5 conference but a team that gets national respect and accolades.

As of now in the big 10 I mean this respectfully but it will take RU decades to catch up to OSU, psu, Mich, etc. from an infrastructure point of view, money, tradition, donations etc. I believe RU can improve into a 6-6 kind of team in the relatively near future (5years or so) but I cannot see RU legitimately competing for a Big 10 title in the league.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts. I think it would be awesome to have a great mid level power near NYC to get people excited about college football in that area. Again I mean this respectfully but no one is excited about RU football right now with the current state of things.

Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Honest question from a psu fan. This is not a troll or anything like that I am genuinely interested in the answers to what I am about to ask.

At this point do any of you regret Rutgers joining the Big 10? I'm not saying that in a disrespectful way, i just believe that where RU is located they could have become a dominant mac level or old big east type of team and still have national accolades. If RU wasn't playing a Big 10 schedule I genuinely believe they could develop into a Boise State type of program on the east coast. Not a P5 conference but a team that gets national respect and accolades.

As of now in the big 10 I mean this respectfully but it will take RU decades to catch up to OSU, psu, Mich, etc. from an infrastructure point of view, money, tradition, donations etc. I believe RU can improve into a 6-6 kind of team in the relatively near future (5years or so) but I cannot see RU legitimately competing for a Big 10 title in the league.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts. I think it would be awesome to have a great mid level power near NYC to get people excited about college football in that area. Again I mean this respectfully but no one is excited about RU football right now with the current state of things.

Can you spell respectfully again?

No you typical arrogant dick. Go figure why everyone thinks psu fans are such assholes

Reactions: sherepower
The Big Ten screwed us over? We would fall to our knees in a heartbeat for that same deal today. Would you rather have something to look forward to while struggling or do slightly better with no hope of anything better ahead?
Boro: you make good points but let's be honest. We are playing teams that either get 5 times the revenue or generate 5 times the revenue. The program may emplode by 2021, seriously.

Even though your post is laced with subtle and not so subtle insults much of what you say is true. I for one would have loved to play in the ACC. Not saying we would have been much more successful playing their top teams but I feel we would have much more in common with some of the ACC schools and their BB conference makes the B10 look like a MAC conference. Just saying.

But you're correct, it will be decades before we see a 10-2 season. The school is simply not geared to compete against schools like OSU, MICH, PSU or even WISC. Very frustrating.

Last edited:
What does it matter what EMU did in the past? Right now they are 2-0. Who knows maybe they end up being a very good team this year and the loss does not look so bad. Same goes for Washington. Yes they were ranked and we looked good against them. Still not sure how good they are. Maybe we beat the spread against a playoff team. Two games in. Other than being 0-2 we really don't know much else.

Reactions: RUforester72

Good candidate for Post of the Week.

The IQ level on this board after a gameday loss is a source of concern for me. I need a new hobby.

Even though your post is laced with subtle and not so subtle insults much of what you say is true. I for one would have loved to play in the ACC. Not saying we would have been much more successful playing their top teams but I feel we would have much more in common with some of the ACC schools and their BB conference make the B10 look like a MAC conference. Just saying.

But you're correct, it will be decades before we see a 10-2 season. The school is simply not geared to compete against schools like OSU, MICH, PSU or even WISC. Very frustrating.

the ACC is a better fit, it would allow our program to compete and even win championships. The Big 10 affords little shot at playing for championships in the next decade or two. The ACC matchups would still be interesting for the fanbase. Playing Ga Tech or UNC and having a legit shot to win is better than getting blown out by OSU and Mich every year

the ACC is a better fit, it would allow our program to compete and even win championships. The Big 10 affords little shot at playing for championships in the next decade or two. The ACC matchups would still be interesting for the fanbase. Playing Ga Tech or UNC and having a legit shot to win is better than getting blown out by OSU and Mich every year
Substitute Clemson and FSU for tOSU and Mich in the Atlantic Division.
And Miami and Virginia Tech. Maybe they are not top notch, but right now they would be very difficult teams to beat.

all great programs but when Duke can make the ACC championship game than Rutgers could. The level is just different...it goes to those giant stadiums in the midwest where football is king and fans are religious..not the same with a Miami or even Va Tech. Do you honestly think that RU can ever compete for a Big 10 title

Excellent post. But I must be honest it's tough to read and digest. In a way the B10 screwed us over. There was no need to stretch the revenue out to 2021.

The Big Ten didn't "screw Rutgers over". Rutgers is getting a partial share of conference revenue JUST like Nebraska and Penn State before it. You are like a person who buys a house and then complains that the mortgage is expensive to pay every month. No duh. Joining a conference is a 100 year plus proposal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT