ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to MSU & Wisky - Both in Final 4

Re: Congrats to MSU & Wisky - bth in Final 4

We'd all like to see the Scarlet Knights in this tourney, but since that's not happening, congratulations to Wisconsin and Michigan State comprising 50% of the Final Four. Not bad at all B1G.... not bad at all.

and good luck to the Zags as I am tired of the Dukees

As a Buckeye, I root for all BIG teams in big games almost as hard as I root for the Buckeyes. You guys just need a couple of years in the conference and you'll get there and be alright. Go Badggers and Sparty !

So a BIG final is coming up, great news!
P.S. I am thinking positive!
This post was edited on 3/29 5:16 PM by goru1869

Originally posted by goru1869:
So a BIG final is coming up, great news!
P.S. I am thinking positive!
This post was edited on 3/29 5:16 PM by goru1869
Agreed....MSU - Izzo is an incredible post-season program. Wisconsin is very close to Duke according to 538. (Duke 22% to win - Wisconsin 19%. Go B1G! National Champs and National runner-up.

My son and his room mates scored tickets for Saturday's games through Wisconsin. They're going to have a blast!

Originally posted by Source:
We'd all like to see the Scarlet Knights in this tourney, but since that's not happening, congratulations to Wisconsin and Michigan State comprising 50% of the Final Four. Not bad at all B1G.... not bad at all.
Yeah, I think we can all agree that no one on this board even expects a Final Four appearance in our lifetime. If we made the tourney, that coach would reach 2x Greg status in the minds of most anyone that follows the men's team.

Have faith anvilofstars. I have already witnessed a Final Four appearance by Rutgers. It was, and hopefully will be, a memorable and wonderous thing to behold. We just have to have the right pieces in place on the court and off of it.

would be nice to see Wisky and Sparty in the finals. And as others point out.. if Wisky wins it all... um... Hay SOURCE.. when was the last time Rutgers had beaten the eventual national Champ in regular season play?

I think it happened with UCONN..

I got married the same year RU made its one and only final four appearance. Still married to the same girl and would like to see the school do it once more. For what it is worth, I think it is a lot tougher than it was then.

Have faith anvilofstars. I have already witnessed a Final Four appearance by Rutgers. It was, and hopefully will be, a memorable and wonderous thing to behold. We just have to have the right pieces in place on the court and off of it.
Wasn't this the last time the final four had two unbeaten teams?

Indiana and Rutgers entered the Final Four undefeated in 1976 at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. I believe it is the only time that has happened. I know it has not happened since 1976.

Ironically, Princeton, Rutgers and Seton Hall have all made the Final Four (Final 2 for Seton Hall). Each time in history, they lost to Michigan.

This post was edited on 3/30 8:38 PM by Source

Indiana and Rutgers entered the Final Four undefeated in 1976 at the Palestra in Philadelphia. I believe it is the only time that has happened. I know it has not happened since 1976.

Ironically, Princeton, Rutgers and Seton Hall have all made the Final Four (Final 2 for Seton Hall). Each time in history, they lost to Michigan.
Actually, it was the Spectrum, not the Palestra. I believe the rest is correct though.

Yes, you are correct. I meant Spectrum. Thanks for the correction.

You're welcome. I remember Rutgers became the 19th NCAA men's team to finish its season undefeated (26-0) in 1975-76. I watched them beat Bentley and then set the all time scoring record blasting Seton Hall with well over a hundred points. After that, I couldn't get any tickets to games at The Barn.

Originally posted by RUich:
I got married the same year RU made its one and only final four appearance. Still married to the same girl and would like to see the school do it once more. For what it is worth, I think it is a lot tougher than it was then.
It is unquestionably harder now than it was then.

For one thing, you only had 32 teams, maybe not even that many. I know it only took three wins, not four, for RU to make it then.

Also there was no seeding per se. Regional integrity was maintained, Eastern teams played in the east. The power team in the east (other than RU) was ACC champ UNC -- which conveniently was upset before they got to us.

But the main difference was that there were few if any at-large bids then. If you didn't win your conference, you were likely left out. So there weren't all that many power teams, capable of winning it all, in the field.

IIRC to get to the Final Four that year, RU only had to beat Princeton (a memorable one-point win) UConn (who were not very strong then) and VMI (who had upset DePaul, who had upset UNC).

And congrats also to fellow newbie Maryland, who just made the women's final four!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT