ADVERTISEMENT

Football Damiere Shaw has been promoted to WRs coach

What is your take on this?
As the wide receivers coach at Fordham, Shaw mentored three wideouts to over 600 receiving yards, the only team in the Patriot League to achieve the feat. That included rookie DeQuece Carter, who broke the school record for receptions (53) and receiving yards (723) by a freshman. Overall, the Rams paced the conference in total offense (357.2) and scoring offense (25.0), placing second in passing offense (223.9).

Shaw spent the 2017 and 2018 seasons as an offensive quality control coach for head coach Matt Rhule at Baylor. The job included assisting with coaching the wide receivers, identifying opposing team’s coverages and personnel tendencies on game day, and breaking down opposing team’s game film during the week. Shaw helped develop Jalen Hurd, a third-round pick of the San Francisco 49ers and the 2018 Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year. He also mentored Denzel Mims, who finished third in school history in touchdowns, fifth in receptions and sixth in receiving yards. The Bears won the 2018 Texas Bowl over Vanderbilt.

Prior to his stint at Baylor, Shaw spent one season as a graduate assistant coach for Temple under Rhule in 2016, assisting with the wide receivers. The Owls won the American Athletic Conference championship that season.

Shaw made the transition from player to coach following an injury as a freshman. He served as a student assistant focusing on wide receivers with the Owls for three seasons from 2013-15. During the tenure, Shaw worked closely with Robby Anderson, who posted the second-most receiving yards in program history, and Keith Kirkwood, both NFL receivers.

As the wide receivers coach at Fordham, Shaw mentored three wideouts to over 600 receiving yards, the only team in the Patriot League to achieve the feat. That included rookie DeQuece Carter, who broke the school record for receptions (53) and receiving yards (723) by a freshman. Overall, the Rams paced the conference in total offense (357.2) and scoring offense (25.0), placing second in passing offense (223.9).

Shaw spent the 2017 and 2018 seasons as an offensive quality control coach for head coach Matt Rhule at Baylor. The job included assisting with coaching the wide receivers, identifying opposing team’s coverages and personnel tendencies on game day, and breaking down opposing team’s game film during the week. Shaw helped develop Jalen Hurd, a third-round pick of the San Francisco 49ers and the 2018 Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year. He also mentored Denzel Mims, who finished third in school history in touchdowns, fifth in receptions and sixth in receiving yards. The Bears won the 2018 Texas Bowl over Vanderbilt.

Prior to his stint at Baylor, Shaw spent one season as a graduate assistant coach for Temple under Rhule in 2016, assisting with the wide receivers. The Owls won the American Athletic Conference championship that season.

Shaw made the transition from player to coach following an injury as a freshman. He served as a student assistant focusing on wide receivers with the Owls for three seasons from 2013-15. During the tenure, Shaw worked closely with Robby Anderson, who posted the second-most receiving yards in program history, and Keith Kirkwood, both NFL receivers.
It is a very good selection and I’m of the belief Greg carefully made it based upon his prior coaching experieand ability to recruit. Good Luck coach Shaw.

All that works for me. Of course, if it doesn't work out someone will unearth my post after five years and call me out. Just getting ahead of it!

Sounds great, but I’m wondering if this is a net positive or negative from Tiquan

We had him on staff, so are we anticipating another hire or is this just plugging a hole from Tiquan leaving?
Hard to say, and depends on what is important.

Here are the positives- three years of coaching/analyst/QC experience under Matt Rhule. Ti did not have that. Said to be a guy with strong recruiting ties to Philly, and DMV. Don't think Ti had that, but from several accounts, he was said to be a good recruiting. When Ti was hired by Greg, he had the same amount of college coaching experience as Shaw does, but he did not have 3 years as an analyst/QC guy under a guy like Rhule.

Negatives-Ti had a great resume NFL/CFL experience and great experience as a player for Greg. Shaw does not have that.

There are hundreds of great position and head coaches who did not play in the NFL or CFL . Nice if that’s your main requirement on a resume. Does not mean you will have more success in both recruiting and development. Do you see why that fact is not really as important .

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Sounds great, but I’m wondering if this is a net positive or negative from Tiquan

We had him on staff, so are we anticipating another hire or is this just plugging a hole from Tiquan leaving?
Can we stop saying "leaving." Tiquan wasn't going to have his contract renewed. There's a difference.

I would rather we have hired someone who coached WRs before like Joe Dailey or even someone like Lanear Sampson who played in the NFL.

Can we stop saying "leaving." Tiquan wasn't going to have his contract renewed. There's a difference.
Correct and there are reasons for not renewing it. Could it be as much as it pains Schiano to part with a former player and coach our WR production was not great for several years. Certainly not all issues fall on the positional coach but even our recruiting WR’ers was not good . This was in the works and someday people will get the answer to why?

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I would rather we have hired someone who coached WRs before like Joe Dailey or even someone like Lanear Sampson who played in the NFL.
It’s about rewarding loyalty . One thing that many miss and the reason Greg feels he can be the guy. I don’t believe these transfers and recent commits were not told prior that a change could occur in 2022. Schiano does not get out worked in this aspect .Perhaps his X’s and O’s but his evaluations are usually proven to be decent.

It’s about rewarding loyalty . One thing that many miss and the reason Greg feels he can be the guy. I don’t believe these transfers and recent commits were not told prior that a change could occur in 2022. Schiano does not get out worked in this aspect .Perhaps his X’s and O’s but his evaluations are usually proven to be decent.
Joe Dailey worked for Schiano previously and is the current BC WR coach.

Player skills development is a big concern at the WR position currently. Getting a guy that’s been coaching the position would be very important, I’d think

A bit underwhelming but it's not like I was blown away by hiring Ti to coach WRs.

So can't say I have a strong opinion either way when I had the same opinion about the guy leaving.

Reactions: RUSK97
I think this is the best hire we could have hoped for after Tiquan decided to leave his alma mater. Good job by everyone involved.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Joe Dailey worked for Schiano previously and is the current BC WR coach.

Player skills development is a big concern at the WR position currently. Getting a guy that’s been coaching the position would be very important, I’d think
Read Schiano’s take on the move just up . Explains it and goes along with my take in the new coach and Ti Underwood’s departure to Pitt.

what's Wayne Chrebet doing? My inclination would be that the WRs who need to make up for lack of physical measurables would make good coaches because they had to maximize all other skills.. like hands and route running.

Sounds like a natural progression up the coaching ladder for this young man
Started out as a GA in 2016 ( but was a student assistant before that) progressed up the ladder and became a WR coach in 2019 at a FCS program then moved on to a P-5 program as Dirictor of Operations .
Now promoted to WR Coach.
Shaw looks like a man with a promising coaching future, but in the early stage of it now

what's Wayne Chrebet doing? My inclination would be that the WRs who need to make up for lack of physical measurables would make good coaches because they had to maximize all other skills.. like hands and route running.
I ran into him last summer because he’s a friend of a friend. He’s down In Colts Neck, working as a financial advisor and investing in race horses.

You know this for fact?
That's not in line with what Greg said in his presser today. He made it sound like Ti decided to leave. Of course, that could be the narrative that was agreed upon, but just relaying what Greg said today.
It was made pretty clear, on at least 1 pay site, that Ti was NOT having his contract renewed. Odds are, as has been the case previously, Greg told Ti that, he gave him time (and possibly helped him) to find a new job, THEN both announcements were made on the same day (and, yes, Ti continued to bust his ass for Greg until he officially left....). Greg may very well have said things, today, that they both agreed upon (which is Greg's way to do things and that's fine).

Cost savings move with GS spin on top of it.
Maybe but someone is always at the bottom of the pay scale in business and sports and Shaw ‘s $$$$ amount will be equal to or possibly more. It will be released soon enough.

Wayne Chrebet ? Grasping at straws don’t you think . I thought he retired back in the early 80’s.

You know this for fact?
That's not in line with what Greg said in his presser today. He made it sound like Ti decided to leave. Of course, that could be the narrative that was agreed upon, but just relaying what Greg said today.
I would bet Ti was looking for more $$$$ and Greg told him not this year . So it was a mutual agreed upon separation.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I would bet Ti was looking for more $$$$ and Greg told him not this year . So it was a mutual agreed upon separation.
What would lead someone who coaches WR’s to ask for a raise after the way the WR’s played this past year?? ? Who did Ti bring in as a recruit this past class???

That just may have something to do with his family and left ? Tip for you in life.If you don’t ask the question you won’t know answer. Why shouldn’t he have asked his contract was up after two years.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaryLeeRU
You know this for fact?
No, he doesn't, and the fact that he speculated in response to you is proof of that.
@Knight Shift possible maybe Greg offered him a different role, as well, which LED to that final decision? Regardless it doesn't seem like relationships were destroyed, or anything like that, which is a positive.
Tiquan Underwood decided to leave Rutgers for Pitt. Period. And there's nothing wrong with admitting that. Just a young man doing what he thinks is best for his future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT