ADVERTISEMENT

Dark Horse Final four contenders

Not to mention the PSU game at PSU which we really should have won.

I forgot to list that one as a toss-up. Yes they needed a last second shot to beat us, but they were also up 18 at halftime.

This is what concerns me........

assuming Myles or Cliff are always on the floor we will always have 1 non shooter on the floor.

Until I see differently Mathis Young and Mulcahy are non shooters.

it seems like we will only have 3 3 point shooters max on the floor at all times.

I understand that was the way it was last year. Will the minutes Yeboah and Caleb played be replaced by shooters?

what id love to see for RU and Cliff and Myles sake is for them to develop in to perimeter options over the next 2 years.

assuming Myles or Cliff are always on the floor we will always have 1 non shooter on the floor.

it seems like we will only have 3 3 point shooters max on the floor at all times.

I understand that was the way it was last year. Will the minutes Yeboah and Caleb played be replaced by shooters?

what id love to see for RU and Cliff and Myles sake is for them to develop in to perimeter options over the next 2 years.
Lack of shooting is a concern but it was last year and we had an amazing season. If we became a good 3 point shooting team we would be national championship contenders. Every team has weaknesses.

Why would we want Myles wasting development time on long-range shooting? Work on FT and being a beast from 15 feet max and in. I have no idea how far along Cliff is in that way.

Iowa has a bunch of shooters. They also gave up 75 ppg in conference, which was 9.4 more than we did. Interesting to see they shot .339 from long range in conference and we were .316. That is 0.023 better, or roughly one out of 40 attempts. Big deal. (Bohannon being out made a difference, granted.)

Three teams had significantly better 3PT%. Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State.

Illinois is a favorite to win the conference next season. They were dead last in conference at 3%.

We had a bunch of blowout wins over top teams, but every loss of the season was close. We were underrated & over-achieved..as for lack of crowd - I think games at home may be closer, but we should win 80-90%. On the flip side, many close losses on the road should turn to wins. We could win 40-50% of our games on the road. NCAA bid at minimum, sweet 16 distinct possibility

We haven’t played a game yet and though I would love us to get to the 2nd 3rd rounds of the NCAA ... let’s win some games first ... make the B1G finals or win it...the rest takes care of itself... Caleb sitting causes us to be weaker unless Mag , Palmquist , Reiber step up... If they do then yes we can be a surprise team this year.

It’s kind of an odd thought, “let’s win some game first” when we are talking about pre-season polls or pre-season prognostications. By definition, there are no games to play, and the content is speculative.

It’s OK to have some fun pre-season. I absolutely think we are a dark horse for the final four. There. I said it. That was fun!!

Go Knights!

Having a 5 that can shoot outside 10 feet is a luxury not a necessity in the college game.

It’s kind of an odd thought, “let’s win some game first” when we are talking about pre-season polls or pre-season prognostications. By definition, there are no games to play, and the content is speculative.

It’s OK to have some fun pre-season. I absolutely think we are a dark horse for the final four. There. I said it. That was fun!!

Go Knights!
Sorry but even our team doesn’t look at being a Dark Horse final 4 . Do they expect to win every game? I am sure they do. Fans that conjecture this far ahead are not being realistic. Enjoy whatever season we have at Rutgers and remember though we were probably a NCAA team in 2019 we still have not played a tournament game in forever. All things need to align ... health, improvement and winning enough games to get a good seed in that venue. We are a good team with some very good players and a very good leader in Pike. If you tell me sweet 16 or final 8 then the conversation becomes more clear.

Sorry but even our team doesn’t look at being a Dark Horse final 4 . Do they expect to win every game? I am sure they do. Fans that conjecture this far ahead are not being realistic. Enjoy whatever season we have at Rutgers and remember though we were probably a NCAA team in 2019 we still have not played a tournament game in forever. All things need to align ... health, improvement and winning enough games to get a good seed in that venue. We are a good team with some very good players and a very good leader in Pike. If you tell me sweet 16 or final 8 then the conversation becomes more clear.
You’re off base with what the team thinks they can do. They absolutely have their sights set on a final four appearance. Palmquist even said in his twitter video his goal is to make a final four this year and then eventually win a national championship.

You’re off base with what the team thinks they can do. They absolutely have their sights set on a final four appearance. Palmquist even said in his twitter video his goal is to make a final four this year and then eventually win a national championship.
EVERY team should think positive of reaching the NCAA final 4 ...Next year if all came back including recruits and Caleb better than 50% chance...this year maybe a 30% possibility. Just a different way of being realistic especially with covid 19 hanging around.

EVERY team should think positive of reaching the NCAA final 4 ...Next year if all came back including recruits and Caleb better than 50% chance...this year maybe a 30% possibility. Just a different way of being realistic especially with covid 19 hanging around.
Hey, I wanted to be a MLB player as a high school student or an Orthopedic Surgeon. . Then reality sets in for most... Not everything is attainable and for so many intangibles.. . I have dutifully followed RU sports since mid to late '60s...The '76 team and the '82 team which lost to St.John's in the regional south final are the 2 squads I felt were our all time best... the '82 team with Hinson was an outstanding team ...they got screwed in the south regional... Everything has to go right for Rutgers or any team to reach the final 4... Love Palmquist but would you expect him to set a low goal?

I have a feeling the top two or three in the B1G could play their way into the final four so winning the B1G may not be a prerequisite...but I’d sign up for it!
NCAA would probably screw the Big by putting top 3 or 4 teams in on bracket

Speaking of 3 point shooting what would be considered a good percentage now that 3 point line moved back a little. ( this is first year for that correct?)

Speaking of 3 point shooting what would be considered a good percentage now that 3 point line moved back a little. ( this is first year for that correct?)

In 2019-20 Big Ten play only: (Smaller sample size, but no games against low-major defenses)

The best-shooting team was Ohio State at 36.2%.

Middle of the pack was Indiana and Rutgers at 32.0% and 31.8%.

Illinois was worst at 29.3%.

National, year-long numbers (bigger sample size, but more noise with level of competition)

37.2% gets you in the top 25.

34.7% gets you in the top 100.

33.3% puts you in the top half of all teams.

So to answer your question, I'd say shooting 33.3% overall (32% in Big Ten play) is the bar to clear. "Good" would be more like 34-35%.

One thing that concerns me is that I realize we might not have fans at any of our home games. I wonder if other teams in the BIG 10 may be in states that just might allow some fans to attend. If so we might be at a big disadvantage. I would hope the BIG 10 would make all league members follow the same rules on allowing fans to attend.

Andy katz is the man...he loves us for sure. it's always nice to know about the publicity. There are some big expectations here for sure. At the end of the day every team better be on their best behavior and positive mindset. Do ya'll agree?

http://gselles.whatisfes.com

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT