ADVERTISEMENT

Db torched all night

letterman

Sophomore
Aug 18, 2003
One of our defensive corners was singled out as easy pickings by the EM staff. And they threw at him consistently with success thr,oughout the night. They stayed away from Austin. Wharton will have to get a lot better ,quickly, or he's going to have a real tough year. I guess he's the only one we have to put out there or we would have seen a change last night.

Damon Hayes and Wharton gave up some big pass plays. Hayes more so than Wharton. They were not entirely to blame. Saquon Hampton was supposed to be providing support over the top and was MIA or way late reacting to the play.

Maybe Kiy Hester isn't as good as we thought when we were excited when he transferred back? He has the potential i think we lack good coaching of this unit...Austin gets by on talent alone, don't see exceptional or even good technique from anyone on critical plays

Let's also give their QB credit for throwing a couple excellent passes to their receiver's outside shoulder. I remember at least 2 that couldn't have been defended even though the CB had good coverage.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
You can teach technique but you cannot teach speed. Schiano had a D full of quicks.I know he's not here anymore but it couldn't hurt could it?

The DB's did fine, that highly experienced QB threw the ball where it couldn't be defended, more than a few times. We held them to only 16 points! The problem was the offense. Surely we should have been able to score 21 or more points with the guys we have on offense.

The DB's did fine, that highly experienced QB threw the ball where it couldn't be defended, more than a few times. We held them to only 16 points! The problem was the offense. Surely we should have been able to score 21 or more points with the guys we have on offense.
Our DBs did not do fine, but I think it was because our press coverage defense sucks against a QB who is throwing quick passes. We seldom hit their receivers at the line of scrimmage, let them get into their patterns untouched and then had to chase them all over the field. Sometimes I wonder if the coaches are watching the same game we are.

It was obvious that EMU's strategy in the passing game was to throw the ball up and have their receivers try to make a play, knowing that the RU DBs would never look for the ball.

I don't want to hear another person say that our secondary:

- "is our strength"

- "is one of the best units in the B1G"

...or anything similar, because they aren't, period. Give that QB credit he KNEW we couldn't defend the back shoulder pass and absolutely abused us throwing it down both sidelines..as well as hitting wide-open guys over the middle which is a whole 'nother story SMDH....

One play down the middle, in the 4th, maybe for 15-20 yards, Hampton looks right at the ball - EASILY could have stepped into its path and deflected or picked it up - and chooses to veer back to wear the WR is waiting for the ball to hit him and where, IIRC, Austin was waiting to make the tackle. I was sitting there in disbelief that he didn't play the ball.

** yes, the O didn't score, but that has ZERO to do with the play of our DB's

You can teach technique but you cannot teach speed. Schiano had a D full of quicks.I know he's not here anymore but it couldn't hurt could it?
Speed wasn't the problem with the secondary in this game. Ball skills were, and that CAN be taught.

Speed wasn't the problem with the secondary in this game. Ball skills were, and that CAN be taught.
Sure it can be taught...if you have someone to properly teach it...do we? Hasn't looked like it...we aren't talking about young inexperienced players here...all these guys played last season or for multiple seasons now...

The DB turning head vs not turning head issue has been discussed many times.

Here are some helpful links:
#2 <--- really good with lots of videos and add'l explanations

Indiana did the same thing against OSU during week 1 in the 1st half.

We did start showing press and falling into a zone in an attempt to confuse their QB.

How do you defend the back shoulder throw while playing press man? Indiana is gonna do it all game.

I don't want to hear another person say that our secondary:

- "is our strength"

- "is one of the best units in the B1G"

...or anything similar, because they aren't, period. Give that QB credit he KNEW we couldn't defend the back shoulder pass and absolutely abused us throwing it down both sidelines..as well as hitting wide-open guys over the middle which is a whole 'nother story SMDH....

One play down the middle, in the 4th, maybe for 15-20 yards, Hampton looks right at the ball - EASILY could have stepped into its path and deflected or picked it up - and chooses to veer back to wear the WR is waiting for the ball to hit him and where, IIRC, Austin was waiting to make the tackle. I was sitting there in disbelief that he didn't play the ball.

** yes, the O didn't score, but that has ZERO to do with the play of our DB's

Well secondary is our strength, but that isn't saying much appearantly. New coach once we get B1G money in 2021, then he needs 3 years so 2024 we will be rocking and rolling again.

DSaquon Hampton was supposed to be providing support over the top and was MIA or way late reacting to the play.
B I N G O

We need a free safety who can arrive in time to knock down some balls... or even, *gulp*, intercept a few. Until QBs have to wonder where the FS is and if he is tricking them to go long, they will just look for their top burners deep assuming the FS won't get there.

I know the DB are suppose to watch the receiver and not look for the ball. However, they could be react better when the receiver is about to catch the ball. It looks like "Well if he catchs it, I will tackle him." When they did it a little better, they interfered with receiver. There is that magical space between the receiver and ball they work in.
One interference call when the receiver was behind of the DB and the ball was a little overthrown. The receiver ran in the back of the DB and if the DB did not turn around into the receiver he would not gotten the penalty. Also the DB was in a better position to catch the ball if he knew where it was.

They also seem to work on the height difference between the receiver and DB. To be honest some balls were so well thrown the DB didn't have much chance.

Since we are on pass defense- the TE and RB where kill us still with poor DE/LB coverage.

The QB also had a lot time to throw due to weak/slow rush.

If you think you are going to see a Bill "suitcase check cashing" Busch secondary improve then........well.......good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT