ADVERTISEMENT

Delaware Blue Hens Message Board

Sh!t is about to get real over there?
pJAqqsg.jpg

tubby raymond coaching legend
the u. of del.
300-113-3.... 35 yr career
didn't invent the del wing t but perfected it

Their board does have a guy with the NIC "HeHateMe." XFL tribute goes a long way.

UD had great turf fields in the spring of 1976 and a midwest-like spacious vibe to the campus.

Love ya Nuts, but they had only 14K for their home game last week so I'd say it's very doubtful.
They have a TON of alumi in New Jersey. I know huge groups of them going from Hoboken, JC and Hamilton as well. I could be wrong but don't be surprised if they show up (at least to tailgate) in much better #'s than Temple and/or some of our old AAC/Big East "rivals" use to show up with lol!

They have a TON of alumi in New Jersey. I know huge groups of them going from Hoboken, JC and Hamilton as well. I could be wrong but don't be surprised if they show up (at least to tailgate) in much better #'s than Temple and/or some of our old AAC/Big East "rivals" use to show up with lol!
Delaware fans will make noise and chant some stuff

there really needs to be a lower tier FBS Northeastern conference once the AAC eventually falls apart... Temple, UConn, UMass, Buffalo, Stony Brook, Delaware, Army, Navy, Villanova, Liberty

perfect not only for the region but also good for scheduling for nearby upper conference schools like Rutgers, Syracuse, Maryland, Penn State, Virginia, Va Tech, etc

Random thought.

Will this be the 1st time RU plays teams with the same exact helmet design back to back?
Probably, unless you want to count when most teams used a "blank" helmet. Princeton stopped using the winged helmet in 1938 when Michigan began using it. Delaware started using it in 1951.

Probably, unless you want to count when most teams used a "blank" helmet. Princeton stopped using the winged helmet in 1938 when Michigan began using it. Delaware started using it in 1951.
Two of our CF HOF coaches played at Michigan. That would be David Nelson and Harold (Tubby) Raymond. Nelson brought the winged helmet to U. Maine, then to UD.

I expect there will be a decent number of UD fans in the stands. Certainly more that you folks describe from Temple.

BTW, we had to go through a number of steps to attend our home game on Saturday. That is, copy of vacc card or negative COVID test within 72 hours, ID, online health check, face masks indoors. That certainly limited our attendance. Any such requirements in Piscataway?

Reactions: thegock and DirtyRU
Greg will be bringing this up:

GO RU
Maybe if Ricky Santos came out of retirement and was granted a 5th year by the NCAA.

People forget how good a QB he was. Multiple 1AA All America. Walter Payton Award for best player in 1AA. Was 3rd all time in the NCAA in passing yards when he was done.

Two of our CF HOF coaches played at Michigan. That would be David Nelson and Harold (Tubby) Raymond. Nelson brought the winged helmet to U. Maine, then to UD.

I expect there will be a decent number of UD fans in the stands. Certainly more that you folks describe from Temple.

BTW, we had to go through a number of steps to attend our home game on Saturday. That is, copy of vacc card or negative COVID test within 72 hours, ID, online health check, face masks indoors. That certainly limited our attendance. Any such requirements in Piscataway?
Nope. Come as you are (within reason).
**EDIT** Correction - facemasks indoors, such as in the Club or in the restrooms.

Last edited:

Face masks indoors.

Reactions: rurichdog
I have a couple of friends who are U Del grads (one of the top chem eng'g schools) and they're diehard football fans who tailgate and go to every game. Attendance used to average over 20K, but has dropped a bit the past 10 years, despite pretty good success.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_Stadium
Some excellent scientists in the field of catalysis and pollution control at UDel.

Reactions: wisr01 and RU848789
I don't know that they're really the #6 in the FCS their ranking says, but they're a good top-tier FCS team in a good top-tier FCS conference.

Rutgers rolls, but if this were 2015-2019 I wouldn't be anywhere near as confident.

I don't know that they're really the #6 in the FCS their ranking says, but they're a good top-tier FCS team in a good top-tier FCS conference.

Rutgers rolls, but if this were 2015-2019 I wouldn't be anywhere near as confident.
There's no doubt we should win handily, but sports are funny sometimes and if one team plays way over their heads and the other mails it in, upsets are certainly possible as we've seen a bunch this year, so Greg has to make sure the team is ready.

Anyone who tried to register on that site, let me know what name you used and I'll pass it on to the Admin.
Wow. I've tried since early summer without any success.
He found and activated your user name over there.

I have a couple of friends who are U Del grads (one of the top chem eng'g schools) and they're diehard football fans who tailgate and go to every game. Attendance used to average over 20K, but has dropped a bit the past 10 years, despite pretty good success.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_Stadium
We actually have had very modest success since playing in the 2010 FCS Championship game. We fired a coach, brought in Dave Brock, whom you know about. Dave recruited well, including two starters in Sunday night' Rams vs. Bear game. Dave got canned after some epic losses, and we hired Danny Rocco from U. Richmond. Danny is slowly building us back, but we were 4-7 in 2019.
We played this spring, and ended 7-1, losing in the semi's. South Dakota State manhandled us in the final game. Some fans are not sure if other teams took the spring season as seriously as we did, and no one is much impressed by wins over Maine and Sacred Heart.
All of that said, I would be very disappointed if we did not compete for four quarters in Piscataway. We have enough guys that are capable of it. We'll see......

We actually have had very modest success since playing in the 2010 FCS Championship game. We fired a coach, brought in Dave Brock, whom you know about. Dave recruited well, including two starters in Sunday night' Rams vs. Bear game. Dave got canned after some epic losses, and we hired Danny Rocco from U. Richmond. Danny is slowly building us back, but we were 4-7 in 2019.
We played this spring, and ended 7-1, losing in the semi's. South Dakota State manhandled us in the final game. Some fans are not sure if other teams took the spring season as seriously as we did, and no one is much impressed by wins over Maine and Sacred Heart.
All of that said, I would be very disappointed if we did not compete for four quarters in Piscataway. We have enough guys that are capable of it. We'll see......
So what's the word on attendance for this away game? One of our posters mentioned there being a large contingent of NJ-based alums, but are a lot of DE-based fans planning on making the trip?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT