ADVERTISEMENT

Didn’t see last nigh’s game BUT...

...Is it just me or does this team appear to be playing very “soft” so far this season?? Maybe time for a little “tough love” in practice sessions?

Guessing (Hoping) it a feeling out process. Getting used to playing with the new pieces. Seeing who can be counted on in certain situations. I think Pickell has it under control

Guessing (Hoping) it a feeling out process. Getting used to playing with the new pieces. Seeing who can be counted on in certain situations. I think Pickell has it under control

I hope this is the case in general BUT, again, the 2 games I’ve seen thus far we seem to lacking the “toughness” that we’ve become accustomed to under Pikes.

I hope this is the case in general BUT, again, the 2 games I’ve seen thus far we seem to lacking the “toughness” that we’ve become accustomed to under Pikes.

Youth has something to do with that and Eugene is missed in that department. Perhaps we are turning a leaf and becoming a finesse but aggressive team
Rather that the tough win it at the rim team

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Last night I never felt like they were going to lose but they certainly under performed and let their foot of the gas at bad times.

A lot of this has to do with finding lineups and experimenting with new schemes as ive noted before.

I think come big play Myles/Carter will be in the paint with mathis rhj and geo starting. McConnell and Young being next subs.

The team is not soft; they’re working plenty hard out there. I think the minutes will begin to consolidate soon with current starters Geo, Caleb, Myles, Mathis and Harper getting more minutes. (Geo’s going to play a ton.)
After that Shaq for Myles and Yeboah get next level with Young and Mulcahy spotting for the guards based on the situation. Shaq may need to play the 4 for some minutes in Big 10 games. In a tight Big 10 game, Doucore should get 0-4 minutes.

We gave up 57 points on 67 possessions which isn't terrible. Would like it a tad better, but overall can't really complain. We went thru a few stretches where we either lost or man and/or were late on close outs. Mathis was particularly bad here. However overall the defensive end wasn't the issue.

Offensively we were brutal. Scored only 62 points on 67 possessions against Drexel. If you take out the few cherry picks by Mathis the numbers look worse. Our points per possession in a half court setting were abominable.

Does that mean we were soft or tired? I say NO!!!!!

We have all these new offensive parts. Offensively our non Baker perimeter parts aren't clicking. Caleb is afraid of making mistakes and is not pulling the trigger on good looks. Young needs to find his role on the team and in the half court offense. Mathis still has a long way to go in half court. Ron is succeeding in looking for and taking his shots, but needs more to go down.

If you are in the camp (my tent is elsewhere) that isn't worried about offense then frankly the postseason thesis is still there as the O will improve and hopefully D stays OK.

We gave up 57 points on 67 possessions which isn't terrible. Would like it a tad better, but overall can't really complain. We went thru a few stretches where we either lost or man and/or were late on close outs. Mathis was particularly bad here. However overall the defensive end wasn't the issue.

Offensively we were brutal. Scored only 62 points on 67 possessions against Drexel. If you take out the few cherry picks by Mathis the numbers look worse. Our points per possession in a half court setting were abominable.

Does that mean we were soft or tired? I say NO!!!!!

We have all these new offensive parts. Offensively our non Baker perimeter parts aren't clicking. Caleb is afraid of making mistakes and is not pulling the trigger on good looks. Young needs to find his role on the team and in the half court offense. Mathis still has a long way to go in half court. Ron is succeeding in looking for and taking his shots, but needs more to go down.

If you are in the camp (my tent is elsewhere) that isn't worried about offense then frankly the postseason thesis is still there as the O will improve and hopefully D stays OK.
The defense is a bit much for these kids. We are not Illinois as of yet.

The team is not soft; they’re working plenty hard out there. .

Please don’t put words in my mouth. Nowhere did I say that they weren’t working hard. There’s a difference between that and being “soft.” So far, again, in the two games that I’ve watched I am not seeing the same kind of let’s say “aggressiveness,” specifically in the paint, that we have gotten accustomed to under Pikes.

Reactions: MOBFreehold
Please don’t put words in my mouth. Nowhere did I say that they weren’t working hard. There’s a difference between that and being “soft.” So far, again, in the two games that I’ve watched I am not seeing the same kind of let’s say “aggressiveness,” specifically in the paint, that we have gotten accustomed to under Pikes.
If you mean the bigs playing soft, I would agree. If the whole team, then no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT