Didn't see this about Grant

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
Apologies if already posted.

Special Teams Player of the Week
Janarion Grant, Rutgers
Jr., WR, Trilby, Fla./Pasco
  • Totaled 263 all-purpose yards against Michigan, including 170 yards on five kickoff returns and a 67-yard punt return
  • Returned a kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown, marking his fourth career kickoff return touchdown and sixth career special teams touchdown
  • Added a 67-yard punt return late in the second quarter to set up a field goal on the final play of the first half
  • Claims his second career Special Teams Player of the Week honor
  • Last Rutgers Special Teams Player of the Week: Janarion Grant (Sept. 14, 2015)

Apologies if already posted.

Special Teams Player of the Week
Janarion Grant, Rutgers
Jr., WR, Trilby, Fla./Pasco

• Totaled 263 all-purpose yards against Michigan, including 170 yards on five kickoff returns and a 67-yard punt return
  • Returned a kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown, marking his fourth career kickoff return touchdown and sixth career special teams touchdown
  • Added a 67-yard punt return late in the second quarter to set up a field goal on the final play of the first half
  • Claims his second career Special Teams Player of the Week honor
  • Last Rutgers Special Teams Player of the Week: Janarion Grant (Sept. 14, 2015)

Good for him! Certainly a bright spot!

Him and Carroo have been the most consistent offensive players. Grant is a welcome change from the Windmill Willie years.

Him and Carroo have been the most consistent offensive players. Grant is a welcome change from the Windmill Willie years.

I simply do not understand why the OC isn't doing more to get the ball in Grant's hands in space as many times as possible.

feel like Miles Shuler could have done some of the things that Grant is doing now if he had stayed at RU.

Someone posted it a few days ago. The person said it shouldn't count because Michigan kicked to Grant so many times.

As the only play maker on the field you would think the coaches would design some stuff for him to get off the line. But nope, he's pretty much stationary at the snap.

I simply do not understand why the OC isn't doing more to get the ball in Grant's hands in space as many times as possible.
That is the real tragedy of this offense. There are play makers on this team that are being wasted by poor game planning and less than adequate blocking.

Even Francesca was praising Grant today for running all over Michigan (who he said Grant left exposed on specials)

feel like Miles Shuler could have done some of the things that Grant is doing now if he had stayed at RU.

Sigh ... no.

Grant and Shuler bear little resemblance in style and skill set. Shuler is pure speed - national level sprinter's speed, faster than Grant. Grant is much, much more elusive and dynamic.

Proof, of this is: Is Shuler doing on special teams what Grant is doing at Northwestern? Answer: No.

Reactions: satnom and Kbee3
That is impressive! Now can you just imagine how much better he would be used if we had a real HC?

Congratulations, Janarion! Well deserved! Keep chopping!

Northwestern does have two kickoff returns for touchdowns, but Shuler is their #2 kickoff returner with 3 returns for 71 yards. Solomon Vault leads Northwestern with 19 returns for 539 yards and two TDs (average of 28.4 yards. By comparison, Grant has 31 kickoff returns for 808 yards (26.1 yard avg) and three TDs.

Punt returns: Grant has 9 for 141 yards and a TD. Shuler has 11 for 110 yards. William Likely from Maryland has been the top punt returner in the conference: 22 for 412 yards and 2 TDs. Grant is #2 IMO. Jaylen Dunlap on Illinois has only one return for 17 yards, a higher average than Grant.

i don't know but JG is special....has that unique instinct for finding daylight and when to turn on the jets....MS was fast but not as canny/instinctful though certainly had that potential.

Love Grant as a returner but I think he's shaky as a receiver. Questionable hands and alligator arms in traffic. And how well does he read the coverage and adjust routes ?

Returning kicks/punts not the same skill set. Great at one doesn't mean also at the other

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Sigh ... no.

Grant and Shuler bear little resemblance in style and skill set. Shuler is pure speed - national level sprinter's speed, faster than Grant. Grant is much, much more elusive and dynamic.

Exactly. Shuler is very fast....but straight line fast.
What Grant has is very different.....quickness and elusiveness.
You need speed to be a returner.....but speed alone does not make a returner

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Love Grant as a returner but I think he's shaky as a receiver. Questionable hands and alligator arms in traffic. And how well does he read the coverage and adjust routes ?

Returning kicks/punts not the same skill set. Great at one doesn't mean also at the other
They need to figure out how to get him out in space. I've not seen one rub route to get this kid out in the open.

They need to figure out how to get him out in space. I've not seen one rub route to get this kid out in the open.
I haven't been watching as closely this year, but the last time I can clearly remember them doing this was against Michigan last year. It was a slant that went for big yardage on a rub route.

Bill Parcells and other coaches call catching and returning punts the hardest job in football. I can't see a guy who can catch punts with people in his face having "questionable hands"

I haven't been watching as closely this year, but the last time I can clearly remember them doing this was against Michigan last year. It was a slant that went for big yardage on a rub route.

You could also line him up wide with one or two of his fellow receivers, have the quarterback fling him the ball, get a block or two, and he'd be off to the races. A number of teams have used that with great success vs. RU this season. Of course it would help if the qb could get him the ball quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT