ADVERTISEMENT

Didn't we offer another kicker after Barbir flipped?

Once Barbir departed, it appears that Ash's Kicker thinking moved in the direction of Preferred Walk On - (which appears to be what Ash's natural preference would have been to begin with - but he was going to honor Flood's scholarship offer to Barbir as long as Barbir was committed)

About a week before signing day it seemed that there were 3 PWO's in mind:

Jonathan Ryker
- Hammonton, NJ - but announced that he will play at Louisville
Mitchell Wasson.- Marietta (Ga.) - then signed LOI to Alabama
Jared Smolar - Valparaiso (Valparaiso, IN) - has offers from Marshall & Arkansas State

Ash seems willing to spend a scholarship - but only on a kicker that can demonstrate that he can perform - in the higher pressure environment of a packed B1G stadium .

Once Barbir departed, it appears that Ash's Kicker thinking moved in the direction of Preferred Walk On - (which appears to be what Ash's natural preference would have been to begin with - but he was going to honor Flood's scholarship offer to Barbir as long as Barbir was committed)

About a week before signing day it seemed that there were 3 PWO's in mind:

Jonathan Ryker
- Hammonton, NJ - but announced that he will play at Louisville
Mitchell Wasson.- Marietta (Ga.) - then signed LOI to Alabama
Jared Smolar - Valparaiso (Valparaiso, IN) - has offers from Marshall & Arkansas State

Ash seems willing to spend a scholarship - but only on a kicker that can demonstrate that he can perform - in the higher pressure environment of a packed B1G stadium .

Isn't Wasson a PWO at Alanama? Then he did not sign anything.

Ryker never announced he would play at Louisville. He said he had the OPPORTUNITY to play at Louisville, i.e., they offered him a PWO. However, unless I missed something, he has yet to accept and is still biding his time.

Isn't Wasson a PWO at Alanama? Then he did not sign anything.

- Cloudy area - he probably did 'sign' something - He "committed" - but at this point he does not have a Football Scholarship $$$ - technically he could say he 'signed' because there are papers that represent a form of formal commitment for a PWO - and after signing these papers it opens the door for more extensive communications with the player
Bottom Line - it looks like Wasson is off the table & is going to Bama :

Mitchell Wasson ‏@wasson_mitchell After a lot of thinking I've decided to commit to The University of Alabama blessed to have this opportunity.
----------------------------------------
Marietta (Ga.) Lassiter kicker Mitchell Wasson has committed to Alabama as preferred walk-on for 2016, according to Chris Sailer Kicking.

Ryker never announced he would play at Louisville. He said he had the OPPORTUNITY to play at Louisville, i.e., they offered him a PWO. However, unless I missed something, he has yet to accept and is still biding his time.

correct - that "OPPORTUNITY" faked me out again - Ryker seems to still be in play

Ryker kid really wants to be here. I expect him to be the PWO.

- Cloudy area - he probably did 'sign' something - He "committed" - but at this point he does not have a Football Scholarship $$$ - technically he could say he 'signed' because there are papers that represent a form of formal commitment for a PWO - and after signing these papers it opens the door for more extensive communications with the player
Bottom Line - it looks like Wasson is off the table & is going to Bama :

Mitchell Wasson ‏@wasson_mitchell After a lot of thinking I've decided to commit to The University of Alabama blessed to have this opportunity.
Marietta (Ga.) Lassiter kicker Mitchell Wasson has committed to Alabama as preferred walk-on for 2016, according to Chris Sailer Kicking.

Pretty sure if someone offers him a 'ship, he could accept it, he is not bound to the Tide.

Pretty sure if someone offers him a 'ship, he could accept it, he is not bound to the Tide.

Bridgewater Junior kicker is apparently 7th ranked Junior kicker in country. Should be a high priority for this coming year's recruiting class.

Reactions: PaKnight
Justin D from Bridgewater is really good. My son trained with him several times over the last year. His kickoffs are particularly good, consistently deep with 4.2 hang time. Hope they give him a serious look.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT