ADVERTISEMENT

Distribution of Minutes

Doesn't look like Pike has had many players over 6-8 over his last five years at Stony Brook, and he hasn't really used them heavily when he's had them. I don't know if that's because he hasn't been able to recruit talented bigs to Stony Brook, or if his style lends itself more to playing 6-7/6-8 guys in the post.

2015-16: 91 min in 33 games by 2 players (2.8 mpg)
2014-15: 401 min in 33 games by 2 players (12.2 mpg)
2013-14: 603 min in 34 games by 2 players (17.7 mpg)
2012-13: 659 min in 33 games by 2 players (20.0 mpg)
2011-12: 337 min in 32 games by 2 players (10.5 mpg)
2010-11: 1165 min in 32 games by 2 players (36.4 mpg)
2009-10: 742 min in 32 games by 3 players (23.2 mpg)
2008-09: 587 min in 30 games by 3 players (19.6 mpg)
2007-08: 818 min in 30 games by 2 players (27.3 mpg)

We have 5 scholarship players taller than 6-8 this year, up from 4 last year.

FSU took that mentality all the way to the Elite 8 last year. They played 12 guys 10+ minutes a game. Not saying Rutgers has the recruits that Leonard Hamilton has at his disposal but it's something to think about as you're running in fresh guys every few minutes during the heart of the B1G schedule. Could tip some games in their favor just on sheer hustle and energy.

Good many coaches ran them in and out freely--John Thompson, Senior at Georgetown. Dean Smith at UNC, for example, but both rosters were loaded with quality players from 1 thru the last guy on the bench at Georgetown. UNC always had a couple of guys a little less talented than the rest whose main job was to lift the team's overall GPA to acceptable levels and cheer a lot.
TL

This is an interesting post

Couple of things

1.) the three best of Mathis, Harper, kiss and thiam will get 25 mpg plus per game. One of these four will be the odd man out...

2.) point guard is baker backed up by Macconnel ...probably a 30/10 spilt in mpg

3.) Eugene is good for 27 mpg. Three of the other four fight for the 53 mpg. Someone will be the odd guy out

Reactions: littlenis5
In terms of returnees, I’m pretty comfortable at taking an educated guess. Geo 30+, Gene high 20s, Issa 20-ish, Shaq D 15+. As per Mamadou, though, very confused. I can imagine as little as five, as much as 20. In addition to his development as a player, I think Pike’s wise usage will play into this.

Good many coaches ran them in and out freely--John Thompson, Senior at Georgetown. Dean Smith at UNC, for example, but both rosters were loaded with quality players from 1 thru the last guy on the bench at Georgetown. UNC always had a couple of guys a little less talented than the rest whose main job was to lift the team's overall GPA to acceptable levels and cheer a lot.
TL

Pikiell and Hobbs coached under Calhoun. He did it more than anybody. He'd find 9 minutes for no name guys with 4 NBA players on the roster. In '04-'05 he found 10 mpg for Ed Nelson on a team that played Gay, Boone, Villanueva, and Hilton Armstrong in the front court. Ed Nelson!

Last edited:
Reactions: dkostus
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT