ADVERTISEMENT

Do players commit to University, program or coach

Big East Beast

All American
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2001
Obviously, the answer is all three. However, this year has brought some interesting situations to light. It could be argued that by firing the coach when they did, the University gave up on this season and essentially put the program on “hold”. Isn’t it reasonable, then, for Sitkowski, Blackshear, Lewis (players with talent & options) to choose to put their eligibility on hold and take a wait and see attitude?

If they like what they see with the new coach and want to continue with RU, is there any reason other than holding a grudge not to welcome them back?

Obviously, the answer is all three. However, this year has brought some interesting situations to light. It could be argued that by firing the coach when they did, the University gave up on this season and essentially put the program on “hold”. Isn’t it reasonable, then, for Sitkowski, Blackshear, Lewis (players with talent & options) to choose to put their eligibility on hold and take a wait and see attitude?

If they like what they see with the new coach and want to continue with RU, is there any reason other than holding a grudge not to welcome them back?

Oops- wrong board!

None of the above.

Players commit to a situation.
It’s a combination of all of those and more(their own expectations for a professional career).

Change the coach or playing time or scheme and the situation is different.
Then the player reevaluates and determines if it is still the best situation for them.

Growing up as a young fan of a school that's had great success can't hurt recruiting. Something Rutgers has had a very small window to prove unfortunately.

I think and I’ll go back to football, that many of the kids committed to Rutgers and not to Ash. However, for many, it was their best option and choosing a Big 10 school with nice facilities and a great academic reputation with the hope that the program was turning the corner was the reason. With Schiano, all of the above applies but the reason we will land top players is specifically due to his success in grooming players for the NFL and having them succeed. So a lot of it depends on the caliber of player in this discussion. The better kids had better options so we got just a few which was never going to work. The players are more important than the plays. (Urban Meyer)

I think hoops is different. The kids all want go to the dance and they also want to play. But I think having the opportunity to go to post season and making yourself believe you’ll beat out the other kids for time, outweighs the losing seasons. That’s why this season is critical for Pikiell. As good as he’s been progressing, he needs the winning record and post season appearance. It’s like a company that finally turns profitable. We need that breakout quarter to happen this year. I think we are on track but I’m concerned about missing that front court dominant player that we need. Will it be Cliff? We just don’t know? I really hope so because the other pieces are coming together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT