ADVERTISEMENT

Does Goodale's Twitter mean Ashnault to All Star match ?

Racpack

Senior
Jan 21, 2012
Coach Scott Goodale ‏@CoachGoodale
Some great news coming tomorrow for @RUWrestling !!

What else could it mean ?

I don't think its a commit. Hope I am wrong, but a commit either happens or it doesn't. So you either get the BOOM or not.

I am not familiar with the all-star match. I assumed it was either something to do with practice facility, or the Princeton match.

For those not familiar with the all star wrestling match it is sponsored by the NWCA and is held Nov 5th in Cleveland, OH. It is not an "official" match, but it is a great honor for the wrestler and school to be picked. They have been announcing 1 wrestler every few days for a few weeks. Here are the current match ups as of today.

125:
133: Zane Richards (Illinois) vs Eric Montoya (Nebraska)
141:
149: Lavion Mayes (Missouri)
157: Brian Murphy (Michigan) vs Max Rohskopf (NC State)
165: Isaac Jordan (Wisconsin) vs Daniel Lewis (Missouri)
174:
184: Gabe Dean (Cornell)vs Myles Martin (Ohio State)
197: Brett Pfarr (Minnesota) vs Brett Harner (Princeton)
285: Connor Medbery (Wisconsin) vs Ty Walz (Virginia Tech)

For those not familiar with the all star wrestling match it is sponsored by the NWCA and is held Nov 5th in Cleveland, OH. It is not an "official" match, but it is a great honor for the wrestler and school to be picked. They have been announcing 1 wrestler every few days for a few weeks. Here are the current match ups as of today.

125:
133: Zane Richards (Illinois) vs Eric Montoya (Nebraska)
141:
149: Lavion Mayes (Missouri)
157: Brian Murphy (Michigan) vs Max Rohskopf (NC State)
165: Isaac Jordan (Wisconsin) vs Daniel Lewis (Missouri)
174:
184: Gabe Dean (Cornell)vs Myles Martin (Ohio State)
197: Brett Pfarr (Minnesota) vs Brett Harner (Princeton)
285: Connor Medbery (Wisconsin) vs Ty Walz (Virginia Tech)
So which opponent do you think it would be if Ashnault is chosen? Heil? McKenna?

And we can now confirm Anthony Ashnault will wrestle Bryce Meredith in the All Star Classic on Nov 5th. in Cleveland OH.

Last season 141 NCAA's at MSG (awesomely run event ) :

141 POUNDS
1-Dean Heil, Oklahoma St.
2-Bryce Meredith, Wyoming
3-Joey McKenna, Stanford || Story
4-Anthony Ashnault, Rutgers || Story
5-Chris Mecate, Old Dominion
6-Solomon Chishko, Virginia Tech
7-Joseph Ward, North Carolina
8-Randy Cruz, Lehigh

Seems like a weak field unless more kids enter this week. Lehigh does have some freshman studs entered who are most likely red shirting. Farro, Karam, Weiler, and Wood will be there.

Does anyone know if Rutgers needs to cut one wrestler to get to a 30 wrestler limit. WNG can you help with this question ? Who do you think it will be ?

Well then that pretty gives the 197 spot to Mulligan if this is truly being used as the evaluation. I thought he was front runner to win it anyway. I am sure WNG knows. Watch out for Paetzell at 25 to give McCabe a run and Grello at 65 over Pafumi. I think we put the best 10 out there. If Gross can get the rust off think he wins 285 and can do some damage 2nd half of season.

I think lineup will be
McCabe
Delvecchio
Ashnault
Theibold
Lewis
Grello
Bakuckas
Gravina
Mulligan
Gross

Paetzell has a shot at 25, I see Dippery and Giraldo as depth guys this year and Pafumi 65/74 backup again but I think any if these guys could start depending on situation.

Well then that pretty gives the 197 spot to Mulligan if this is truly being used as the evaluation. I thought he was front runner to win it anyway. I am sure WNG knows. Watch out for Paetzell at 25 to give McCabe a run and Grello at 65 over Pafumi. I think we put the best 10 out there. If Gross can get the rust off think he wins 285 and can do some damage 2nd half of season.
On paper there is no doubt in my mind this is our deepest team ever. Might have some growing pains early but by the time B1G/NCAA tourney rolls around Goodale and Pritz will have us running like a well oiled machine.

Last edited:
I think lineup will be
McCabe
Delvecchio
Ashnault
Theibold
Lewis
Grello
Bakuckas
Gravina
Mulligan
Gross

Paetzell has a shot at 25, I see Dippery and Giraldo as depth guys this year and Pafumi 65/74 backup again but I think any if these guys could start depending on situation.
That lineup would be incredible. Outside of some inexperience, a very balanced and formidable lineup with no gaps in talent.

I thought Correnti was heading to 197 for this year. I would think he would be the starter. $$$$

I thought the same. But if he is not wrestling in the ESU Open, and that is being used in place of a wrestle-off, then it would seem that Mulligan has a good chance to claim 197. I expect we will hear an announcement as to why he is no longer entered along with the other two and what that means as far as the starting lineup.

I'm wondering if the ESO is more or less going to be for those starting spots that aren't cut and dry, like 165 for example. Lewis now not wrestling and obviously Ash not wrestling in the ESO makes me think that Goodale doesn't want to risk injury to bonafide starters like Lewis. Other weight classes such as 165 where it isn't as clear who will start will wrestle at ESO.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Mackall sat during the Saturday practice so he was hurt I believe. Don't count Messner short at 197. He looks good there.

Mackall had surgery after Ohio States so probably best for him to take it slow this year.

Apropros of nothing, I'd be pretty surprised if Correnti isn't the best 197lber in the room at this point.

Looks like 3 guys previously on the ESU open registration list are now off. 125 - Mackall, 197 - Correnti and 197 - Kremiller.

Is there a link somewhere to show who's entered ? Thanks.

I wonder if Correnti is struggling to get to 197. I know Wnbargarini said something about he was within 2 pounds , but I wasn't sure about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT