ADVERTISEMENT

Does this season feel like the 2006 football season?

RCBeta79

Junior
Jun 7, 2013
I believe it does! Do you?

A favorable schedule with many starters returning on both offense and defense.... plus, a good QB with a solid running back stable and receivers and good defense. Coach Schiano did a good job in filling holes and improving depth.

Let’s check in after seeing the offense against an above average Akron defense. Should be a good temperature check for us. We won’t lose unless the D implodes, but a 17-3 type game would level set expectations for the offense.

Reactions: RULying
We threw the ball way more back then, so even with a new QB it’s not going to feel like 2006 unless they really ramp up the offense

If we have guys who are explosive in the flats it would. AK will throw the ball. Just not as many deep balls.

A favorable schedule with many starters returning on both offense and defense.... plus, a good QB with a solid running back stable and receivers and good defense. Coach Schiano did a good job in filling holes and improving depth.
Not really I was just a kid of 81 back then ,instead of a middle aged guy of 98 today

Like RUGutiarMan said, we weren't expecting the 2006 results until a bit into the season. This year with a new QB for us, who knows what the offense will look like. And we did lose two great defensive players in Melton and Jennings.

2006 was off to a very good start, but didn't feel like a special season until we beat USF. Foster leading the chant in the locker room after that game was fire.

Oh man, this still gets me FIRED UP!

Reactions: eddynyse
Let’s check in after seeing the offense against an above average Akron defense. Should be a good temperature check for us. We won’t lose unless the D implodes, but a 17-3 type game would level set expectations for the offense.
I'm not even sure if a 17-3 win against Akron will tell us much, if Rutgers runs vanilla plays just to win the game. We will for sure find out playing VT. If we lose to Akron then the season might not be so good.

Reactions: eddynyse

No. Not even close.

2006 was off to a very good start, but didn't feel like a special season until we beat USF. Foster leading the chant in the locker room after that game was fire.

Oh man, this still gets me FIRED UP!

I disagree. Getting through UNC and seeing the defense completely dominate Illinois had me thinking that we were onto something really good.

I'm not even sure if a 17-3 win against Akron will tell us much, if Rutgers runs vanilla plays just to win the game. We will for sure find out playing VT. If we lose to Akron then the season might not be so good.

Maybe not. It’s not so much the score though as it is how the offense looks in the flow of the game. Akron projects to have a significantly better defense than the other cupcakes we’ve played in recent years.

Reactions: Extra Point
2006 was a one off kind of thing imo.
Truth is 06 wasn't really that great - some weak teams should have been put away better.
I was at UConn game and that was almost lost
Cincy loss was a disgrace I blame a young Schiano for - he let the team launch into space for a week.
Experienced coaches know how to pop those balloons and get back to earth.
2006 was fun but time to leave it behind and do more.
Bama, OSU et al still hanging on to 18 yr old regular season games?

Last edited:
We threw the ball way more back then, so even with a new QB it’s not going to feel like 2006 unless they really ramp up the offense
In 2006 we threw the ball and average of 22 times per game and ran the ball 38 times per game. In 2023 we threw the ball 22 times a game and ran the ball 39 times a game.

The difference was completions.

In 2006 we threw the ball and average of 22 times per game and ran the ball 38 times per game. In 2023 we threw the ball 22 times a game and ran the ball 39 times a game.

That is an amazing statistic. I would say it's not just completions, but also the ability to make something happen after catching it. Not having to turn around for the ball or wait for it, for example. In fairness, the 2006 WR room was better than 2023, too.

Reactions: gef21

We threw a lot of 15 to 20 yard seem routes to Britt and Underwood.
We also ran excellent screens to Leonard and Young to make defenses pay for blitzing.
Teel was excellent at getting the ball out and delivering an accurate pass when his first read was open.

We left a lot on the table that year with Leonard never running the ball as a diversion to Ray when they were on the field at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: gef21 and eddynyse
Leonard receptions in 06 = 38 with 0 TDs
Rice receptions in 06 = 4 with 0 TDs
Britt and underwood in 06 = 45 receptions with 4 TDs

Shows how bad RU red zone was even with NFL talent all over.
Rice and Leonard with no TD passes
Rice and OL and defense made 06

This team feels a lot like 2006. We have two strong running backs and a great defense, just like back then. Plus, we avoid playing top-tier teams like Louisville and West Virginia were in '06.
If our passing game is even decent, combined with great running and defense against this year's opponents, we could actually surpass the 2006 team! So excited for the season!! 🏈

• Haha
Simple game where coaches try to make you think they are a genius

O-line and d-line

Stapleton started and won Super Bowl with Steelers
Zuttah started in nfl
Sosa
Stephenson
Fladell

Johnson nfl
Westermann nfl cfl
Foster nfl

Simple game where coaches try to make you think they are a genius

O-line and d-line

Stapleton started and won Super Bowl with Steelers
Zuttah started in nfl
Sosa
Stephenson
Fladell

Johnson nfl
Westermann nfl cfl
Foster nfl

Stephenson also played in the NFL. Fladell and Sosa made NFL camps.

I sat in front of Celek’s Entire hometown at Cincy
Of course he had a 80 yard TD where he broke 8 tackles

Had young and Leonard open on the wheel route for a TD very early but missed on both.

Think someone on here said team was sick / worn down the week after Pandemonium.

We switch schedule and play Cuse the following week we sleep walk to a 27-14 win. But at cincy and wvu to end season would’ve been a challenge

Didn’t cincy win 11-12 straight starting with us ??

I sat in front of Celek’s Entire hometown at Cincy
Of course he had a 80 yard TD where he broke 8 tackles

Had young and Leonard open on the wheel route for a TD very early but missed on both.

Think someone on here said team was sick / worn down the week after Pandemonium.

We switch schedule and play Cuse the following week we sleep walk to a 27-14 win. But at cincy and wvu to end season would’ve been a challenge

Didn’t cincy win 11-12 straight starting with us ??

A couple of times Cincy gave up 15 yd PI flags to prevent 70 yd TD passes. The strategy worked

Reactions: gef21
Stephenson also played in the NFL. Fladell and Sosa made NFL camps.
Pre-draft projections had Sosa ahead of Zuttah.
Then his knee was injured and he kept trying to play (Pitt, senior bowls) and making knee worse.
Sosa is a reason I dont grudge draft type guys for skipping bowls

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT