ADVERTISEMENT

USC Victory will be our BEST EVER

I notice the "will be" in the title as though we're guaranteed to win. This is bulletin board material. Let's win the game first and then we can talk about whether it was our biggest victory ever.
I'm surprised someone hasn't posted a message Board Geniuses take on this.
Maybe they haven't been notified about what Al said yet 😁

I think USC enters game with a 3-4 record...A Win would be great but nothing Special

Now if The Trojans of USC enter the game at 7-0 and Ranked in USA Top 3 with Wins over LSU, Utah State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maryland and Penn State...Then Yes it will be Best Ever!

Last edited:
If we beat them when they were a national power it would have been huge. Nowadays not so much. Still would be nice to beat a "name" team.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
All we need for our QB to do is have a 58% completion % and hopefully throw for roughly 2,500 yards. His completion % was 54% year 1 and 53% year two, so this would be a step up for him.
Athan progressing from a 53% to 58% completion percentage, based on his volume last year, translates to literally one additional completion per game.

Your take on things, everything really, could not be any worse.

Athan progressing from a 53% to 58% completion percentage, based on his volume last year, translates to literally one additional completion per game.

but that one additional completion will be a 95 yard TD pass with 10 seconds left to give RU the win over USC .
Making Al's prophecy true and up there with the Savage to Brown ending of the RU game with UConn in 2009.

Reactions: rutgersal
We’ve never beaten a team like USC, except when some of us took Rutgers against USC in NCAA football in 2006. But this year is our opportunity, and they are very beatable. USC is projected for 7.5 wins by one source and Rutgers is projected for 6.5 wins. So the talent discrepancy, at least according to outside sources, has never been smaller between Rutgers and USC, save for the 2006 season, perhaps.

But make no mistake about it, this Rutgers team is capable of winning ALL its games, thanks to the preponderance of talent, which has bolstered our roster. I see potential All Americans on the Offensive Line, Defensive Line, in the RB Corp, in the WR Corp, in the LB Corp, and in our DB Corp.
If there is one thing this team does not lack for, its talent.

In comparing USCs roster with ours, I feel that Rutgers has superior talent. We can run the ball, stop the run, rush the passer, and hit short and intermediate passes a good portion of the time.

USC is the only team that stands between Rutgers and the playoffs. Let’s make it happen.
See you there!

AL is the BEST … FAN … EVER

If we do beat USC, which is a big if, the optics would be one of the best victories RU has gotten. Same as the Miami win, people were buzzing about it. It was a weakened Miami team, but Rutgers lost to them every single game prior to that bowl win.

Reactions: RULuca
If we do beat USC, which is a big if, the optics would be one of the best victories RU has gotten. Same as the Miami win, people were buzzing about it. It was a weakened Miami team, but Rutgers lost to them every single game prior to that bowl win.
Of course it was huge. Look at all our prior results vs Miami.

0-11 with massive margins of defeat.

Our last 5:

11/20/1999 at Miami L 0-55
09/30/2000 #10/12 Miami L 6-64
09/08/2001 at #1/2 Miami L 0-61
11/02/2002 #1/1 Miami L 17-42
11/22/2003 at #14/13 Miami L 10-34

I think USC enters game with a 3-4 record...A Win would be great but nothing Special

Now if The Trojans of USC enter the game at 7-0 and Ranked in USA Top 3 with Wins over LSU, Utah State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maryland and Penn State...Then Yes it will be Best Ever!
It could happen, though they likely lose to LSU.
6-1 USC vs 7-0 Rutgers could be a prime time matchup.

Lol I like this dude...my type of guy... Doesn't it get exhausting to read about how bad things will be in the future? Give me this form of trolling any day over the whoa is me act many have adopted. And while they may not be what the used to be, usc is still a high profile NCAA team in their inaugural big ten season. Would be nice win, idk about biggest ever but. Obviously Al is attempting to become a media personality...I actually think we need more like this that choose to tap into positive energy to get clicks rather than negative stories to grab your attention. I'm always shocked how much this guy's posts piss some of you off.. It's ok to be optimistic and it's a game, enjoy it..

One completion could be the difference between winning in losing. Football is all about details.

More likely, 4-3 USC vs. 3-4 Rutgers.
Not really. Rutgers should have beaten Nebraska two years ago, and now we have a running game churning at peak efficiency, a defense that could be the best in the country, and should have a vastly improved passing game.

Last years difference vs Wisconsin was a pick 6 and Braelin Allen’s stellar performance. Allen got drafted. Washington is fielding a team with mostly new starters, who won’t be operating at peak efficiency in game four. We manhandled VT last year, and they won’t be able to makeup for our superiority in the trenches in one year. UCLA has a new coach who is going to take time to acclimate.

We have a good shot of being 7-0, going into the USC game.

-

I’m sorry but I have to agree with Al - unless USC goes like 2-10 this year, a win over them will carry prestige to Rutgers. The score and highlights on the 11pm NBC NY news that night will swing perception of us on its own. Rutgers football going into the LA Colesium and coming out of there with a win would be a milestone victory

Reactions: RUforester72
-

I’m sorry but I have to agree with Al - unless USC goes like 2-10 this year, a win over them will carry prestige to Rutgers. The score and highlights on the 11pm NBC NY news that night will swing perception of us on its own. Rutgers football going into the LA Colesium and coming out of there with a win would be a milestone victory
But it still doesn't make it Rutgers biggest victory ever!

Reactions: newell138
But it still doesn't make it Rutgers biggest victory ever!
Unless USC is in the #1 at the time.
But I don't even see the Trojans coming in as even a top 10 team.
It will be a nice victory over a well known brand name and will help recruiting .
That's big enough for me

All we need for our QB to do is have a 58% completion % and hopefully throw for roughly 2,500 yards. His completion % was 54% year 1 and 53% year two, so this would be a step up for him.

Your saying all we need is him to be 58% for what? To beat USC? To win a Natty? Go to a bowl? Just trying to understand the context as completion rate is blended across all games which obviously skews things since a few inaccurate pass heavy games are overweighted on a relative basis in the metric.

This is why I’m cautiously optimistic about our potential with AK. In reality, he struggled with accuracy in 4 games - Michigan, Iowa, UNC and Purdue. I wouldn’t even say he played bad vs Purdue - just had to throw a ton because they were playing from behind. Nobody is as accurate when the D knows a pass play is being called.

But putting that aside - in the other 2/3 of his games AK completed 61.2% of his passes. And even that doesn’t really tell the whole story. AK was very accurate, for example throughout most of the Illinois game - rare occasion when Minny had some success on the ground. He was at 61.1% and 3 TDs - his team with a 26-21 lead and 3 minutes to go in the game. He threw the ball away there on 3rd and 4 which is the right play if you don’t have an open receiver. Illinois got the ball back at their own 16 and drove the length for a TD. So okay - he didn’t get it done with 50 seconds and one last chance to drive with the D knowing he’d be throwing - he threw 3 incompletions suddenly he was at 11 for 22 (50% instead of 61.1%) because of that one drive and the throw away nursing the lead. He didn’t exactly have an inaccurate day. Rather one bad drive at the end. The Nebraska game was similar to Purdue, Minny could only manage 55 yards on the ground - so AK threw 44 passes. That time he got it done for Minny on his last drive leading them to a FG to win it.

Your saying all we need is him to be 58% for what? To beat USC? To win a Natty? Go to a bowl? Just trying to understand the context as completion rate is blended across all games which obviously skews things since a few inaccurate pass heavy games are overweighted on a relative basis in the metric.

This is why I’m cautiously optimistic about our potential with AK. In reality, he struggled with accuracy in 4 games - Michigan, Iowa, UNC and Purdue. I wouldn’t even say he played bad vs Purdue - just had to throw a ton because they were playing from behind. Nobody is as accurate when the D knows a pass play is being called.

But putting that aside - in the other 2/3 of his games AK completed 61.2% of his passes. And even that doesn’t really tell the whole story. AK was very accurate, for example throughout most of the Illinois game - rare occasion when Minny had some success on the ground. He was at 61.1% and 3 TDs - his team with a 26-21 lead and 3 minutes to go in the game. He threw the ball away there on 3rd and 4 which is the right play if you don’t have an open receiver. Illinois got the ball back at their own 16 and drove the length for a TD. So okay - he didn’t get it done with 50 seconds and one last chance to drive with the D knowing he’d be throwing - he threw 3 incompletions suddenly he was at 11 for 22 (50% instead of 61.1%) because of that one drive and the throw away nursing the lead. He didn’t exactly have an inaccurate day. Rather one bad drive at the end. The Nebraska game was similar to Purdue, Minny could only manage 55 yards on the ground - so AK threw 44 passes. That time he got it done for Minny on his last drive leading them to a FG to win it.
58% across all games to have at least a 10 win season. Obviously he will perform worse against USC than he does against Akron. But he won’t have to face Michigan, OSU, PSU, or Iowas defense. Wisconsin will probably be the best of the defenses.

58% across all games to have at least a 10 win season. Obviously he will perform worse against USC than he does against Akron. But he won’t have to face Michigan, OSU, PSU, or Iowas defense. Wisconsin will probably be the best of the defenses.

Nebraska is an excellent defensive team. That’ll be a very tough game for us at their place in my opinion.

They only allowed over 20 points in regulation twice all season (Michigan and Colorado). At home, nobody other than Michigan scored more than 14…

The stature which saw them win 11 National Championships. They are a football blue blood and a worthy adversary and would represent our best victory EVER.
Best win ever means best team at the time ever, not in their history. Louisville easily remains our best win ever, since they were #3 near the end of the year and ended up in the top 5-10 for the season (unlike the #2 USF team that was a mirage that I don't think ended the year ranked).

Reactions: Knight Shift
Beating a top 25 team might not be that big of a deal, unless beating one assures RU a top 25 spot
Looks like USC is starting to get a little ( early) love
College football post-spring Top 25 rankings - ESPN

25. USC Trojans

Keep on being optimistic Al, Message Bord Geniuses might try to put your messages down, but looks like ESPN is beginning to believe you that USC might be a real good team when the Scarlet Knights go west and beat the Trojans 10/26 in LA

According to ESPN’s pre-season rankings that came out today, it wouldn’t even be the best win of the season. VTech is ranked 21. USC is 25. Wisconsin and Washington are on the “just missed” list.

Beating a top 25 team might not be that big of a deal, unless beating one assures RU a top 25 spot
Looks like USC is starting to get a little ( early) love
College football post-spring Top 25 rankings - ESPN

25. USC Trojans

Keep on being optimistic Al, Message Bord Geniuses might try to put your messages down, but looks like ESPN is beginning to believe you that USC might be a real good team when the Scarlet Knights go west and beat the Trojans 10/26 in LA
I mean VTech is 21 so…

We’ve never beaten a team like USC, except when some of us took Rutgers against USC in NCAA football in 2006. But this year is our opportunity, and they are very beatable. USC is projected for 7.5 wins by one source and Rutgers is projected for 6.5 wins. So the talent discrepancy, at least according to outside sources, has never been smaller between Rutgers and USC, save for the 2006 season, perhaps.

But make no mistake about it, this Rutgers team is capable of winning ALL its games, thanks to the preponderance of talent, which has bolstered our roster. I see potential All Americans on the Offensive Line, Defensive Line, in the RB Corp, in the WR Corp, in the LB Corp, and in our DB Corp.

In comparing USCs roster with ours, I feel that Rutgers has superior talent. We can run the ball, stop the run, rush the passer, and hit short and intermediate passes a good portion of the time.

USC is the only team that stands between Rutgers and the playoffs. Let’s make it happen.
See you there!
Oh boy. In before the thread lock!

Which means, Tech can't be taken as an easy win right now and will be be a good win at Lane Stadium on 9/21 if VT keeps that spot when RU goes there

Of course it would be a good win. The folks stamping that one as automatic don’t know what they are talking about. Drones wasn’t the QB for their loss to Purdue. They were missing several key defensive players the first 4-5 games of the season. The team they ended the season with would not have lost to Marshall. And they added some pieces in the portal too.

See you there!
I think I am flying out for this one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT