ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt will be our Starting Quarterback next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
RU needs to bring in a transfer to compete for the starting job and if GW beats out the transfer QB, and any of the other QBs, then good for him. RU will be better with an improved GW, but it cannot stand pat without significant improvement from the QB position.

Reactions: satnom
There was something missing through most of the year and I can't just put it on players. Too often, we could see the other team took something away from us and we just never did something to change it up.
How many times did we see a team take away the inside run from GW and KM and we just keep doing the same thing instead of maybe trying something to the outside. And in so many other years- even with a boring offense, GS had a trick or two waiting. A reverse, a HB pass or anything- even just start running to the outside.
but we just never did it.
I was watching the OL quite a bit this year- they were very well coached and I think we could have done more if we used them more to pull rather than just always just try to move the line forward 3 yards. And even with GW- who is one of the more talented running QB's out there- why the heck did we not design more for him and then watch guys with lead boots on the other team find a way to the outside or inside draws.
So much of this did seam to be on offensive side of the ball coaching.
Baffling and inexcusable imo.
Iowa, a team I still think we can beat was one of the worst offensively imaginative games I’ve ever witnessed.
The staff was literally scared to death to allow Gavin to have any influence on the outcome of the game

Or maybe there are really good defensive backs in the big ten? Good defensive play really doesn't excuse wide open misses or the frequent failures to see the wide open alternatives that prevent that good defensive play. All star recievers will help overall but don't address these issues that fans are complaining about much.

better talent helps anyone. The question is can anyone perform better with the current talent?
Wide open misses are a bad on Wimsatt. Better Spotting wide open alternatives are part of a quarterback’s development. Kids will get better with repitition an watching film.

You know a good player when you see one I know.
Production is reduced and harder to come by when the supporting cast isn’t great, but you’ll always come away saying “that kid can play”
When Iowa took away Kyle, we were sunk, we had no answer because the coaches knew there wasn’t an answer.
Zap sure I understand this . Originally , I was upset by some here who are “ not just upset with the offense or coaching staff or the QB “ but dwell only on his accuracy failures. We all know it and we all can see it. KC and Schiano know it , Gavin is a smart guy , he knows it . Those fans wanting to start a QB carousel here already are asking for similar problems. You have Simon , Sheppard AJ Surace and Gavin Wimsatt. The “ Wimsatt should transfer thread was wrong plain and simple.Many of them dislike Schiano to a fault. If he brought in an established guy then we better damn make certain he has the surrounding depth at all offensive positions. Hey, I’m rooting for this kid and I’ve never met him. I always root for Rutgers and everyone can trust this we have seen the good and bad since 1967.

Iowa, a team I still think we can beat was one of the worst offensively imaginative games I’ve ever witnessed.
The staff was literally scared to death to allow Gavin to have any influence on the outcome of the game
Exactly … now that wasn’t on this QB but the staff and team.

According to stats on ESPN and scarletknights.com, here are the "passes defended" totals against us by game:

Maryland 7
Penn State 0
Iowa 4
Ohio State 4
Indiana 1
Michigan State 2
Wisconsin 2
Wagner 1
Michigan 1
Va Tech 1
Temple 5
Northwestern 2

The Maryland game total was high and so was Temple, but the others weren't that bad considering how strong the Iowa and Ohio State defenses are this season.

Exactly … now that wasn’t on this QB but the staff and team.
Reminded me of Nova's early years...Until he was a Senior- there was obviously a dictate to him that he was never to cross the LOS with the ball in his hand. And that was when we would see some of the dumbest mistakes ever- passing the ball 5 yards past the LOS, spiking on 4th down, etc...It was in his head more than just making a play.
Once Fridge got here and just said- let the kid play and make plays without thinking, he became a different QB for us.
There were games and Iowa was one- it seemed that GW was playing not to make a mistake.

I’m done with this thread on GW. How’s the MBB team going to do in the B1G after the tight game against St.Peters? Does Pikiell know anything about coaching? Why aren’t our rotations completed yet? Our guards can’t find Cliff. Cliff has not progressed as he should have on offense. He has no post moves, his footwork stinks . Derek Simpson looks lost. JMike is a work in progress. Woolfolk only had 1 rebound. We got outboarded by St.Peters. Can ‘t believe we suck this much. Now that’s how we critique our MBB team after a 31 point victory. Yes it’s me.😊🪓🪓🪓🪓🪓

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Stop. Every team has a few dropped passes. We did not have an eye popping number of these. The glaring problem is Gavin’s incompetence in the short game. Even with poor wide outs we could’ve used the RBs for these. Except we couldn’t because Gavin’s poor percentage was even worse with these type of bunny passes that most other QBs complete at 85% or better. Also - he was responsible for lack of follow on yards on many of the ones that were completed because of the poor ball placement.
Agree. Many times I've seen posters criticize our receivers for their lack of yards after catch... But although we may not have elite speedsters as our wideouts, way too many times the receiver has to slow down, stop, turn around, jump high, etc, to have a chance at catching the ball because the throw is often placed in the vicinity of the receiver but not in an ideal position for the receiver to catch the ball in stride to maximize yards after catch. Those extra seconds required to adjust to make the catches negatively affect the receivers' speed and momentum and allow defenders additional time to react. I'm sure it's a little frustrating for our receivers too.

Reactions: RUShea
Agree. Many times I've seen posters criticize our receivers for their lack of yards after catch... But although we may not have elite speedsters as our wideouts, way too many times the receiver has to slow down, stop, turn around, jump high, etc, to have a chance at catching the ball because the throw is often placed in the vicinity of the receiver but not in an ideal position for the receiver to catch the ball in stride to maximize yards after catch. Those extra seconds required to adjust to make the catches negatively affect the receivers' speed and momentum and allow defenders additional time to react. I'm sure it's a little frustrating for our receivers too.
Every receiver in America has to adjust to the ball, at times, because they are not always thrown perfectly. Making the difficult catches look routine is what separates the NFL kids from the office kids.

people railed on Nova for 3-4 years until after he was gone they realized he was actually pretty good

His arm was good and it tempted him to make very unwise throws.
Nova's INTs tended to come in final minutes with RU behind or close.
Then he would panic and chuck a ball into triple coverage and get intercepted.
In HS you can get away with torching passes because DBs are slooow.
Nova was often bad at judging D1 DB closing speed.
Personally if a Nova game was close in 4th I stopped watching because I knew what was coming.
It was like watching Favre with the Jets.
Nova didn't throw buckets of INTs but thew ones he threw were gut busters.
Home crowd booed him off the field vs USF and Dodd had to win the game.
Now that I know the "three year plan" for QBs I can see why Nova could throw 3, 4, 5 INTs and stay in game.
There was always next year to train for

RU needs to bring in a transfer to compete for the starting job and if GW beats out the transfer QB, and any of the other QBs, then good for him. RU will be better with an improved GW, but it cannot stand pat without significant improvement from the QB position.
Transfer quarterbacks have been a waste of time for us historically. The odds of finding a good quarterback, who didn’t work out elsewhere, and doesn’t require NIL support, are very low. Better off just focusing on the freshmen we’ve recruited, imo.

Now if someone wants to write a $1M check, then we might get somewhere.

Stop it Al. It pisses people off when you're accurate.

As to other comments, the fan's don't want to win? BS. The fans don't want to pay 18-22 years olds to go to college for free and play football. If you do great. Otherwise STFU. You don't know what anyone's financial situation is. I'm not paying the salary of the Jets or Giants. I pay for tickets and a scholarship fund. It that's not enough too effin' bad. Maybe Rutgers should take some of those millions it gets from the TV contracts and send some to the players. Maybe it can take some of the tuition increases that have far outpaced inflation over the past 20 years and use that. There is no way I'm taking one cent I could leave to my granddaughters and giving it to pseudo professional football players that will go to the highest bidder.

Every receiver in America has to adjust to the ball, at times, because they are not always thrown perfectly. Making the difficult catches look routine is what separates the NFL kids from the office kids.
And making inaccurate throws look less routine is what separates...... Never mind.

When an open receiver has to frequently stop his route, turn around, jump high in the air, etc., to catch an inaccurately thrown ball, and especially when it's not a long or difficult throw, it's not what any B1G level receiver should be expected to have to do as often as our receivers have to do it. Saying that all receivers in America have to adjust to imperfectly thrown balls isn't a valid argument. It's the quantity or percentage of the imperfectly thrown balls that makes the difference.

With that being said, I'm not necessarily on the "replace GW at all costs" bandwagon, but anybody that doesn't admit that he has some accuracy issues that can affect completion percentage and yards after catch, at least at this time, either isn't seeing what I'm seeing, or else probably has a significant pro-GW bias.

As to other comments, the fan's don't want to win? BS. The fans don't want to pay 18-22 years olds to go to college for free and play football. If you do great. Otherwise STFU. You don't know what anyone's financial situation is. I'm not paying the salary of the Jets or Giants. I pay for tickets and a scholarship fund. It that's not enough too effin' bad. Maybe Rutgers should take some of those millions it gets from the TV contracts and send some to the players. Maybe it can take some of the tuition increases that have far outpaced inflation over the past 20 years and use that. There is no way I'm taking one cent I could leave to my granddaughters and giving it to pseudo professional football players that will go to the highest bidder.
Totally get where you’re coming from Gray. Understandably, your granddaughter takes priority.

But the fact is, our competitors use their F U money to fund NIL payments to their players. If we can’t do likewise, it puts us at a competitive disadvantage.

I love a lot of things about Schiano teams but the dread he projects at some offensive players is unhealthy. Imagine taking the field knowing your HC doesn't have much confidence in you (maybe next year in Part 2).

Its like a QB has to play with one hand behind his back because using two can cause more turnovers. How many things that Gavin gets criticized for "not doing" trace back to coaching?

I love a lot of things about Schiano teams but the dread he projects at some offensive players is unhealthy. Imagine taking the field knowing your HC doesn't have much confidence in you (maybe next year in Part 2).

Its like a QB has to play with one hand behind his back because using two can cause more turnovers. How many things that Gavin gets criticized for "not doing" trace back to coaching?
I sometimes wonder if Schiano's ideal Super Bowl qb performance would be Trent Dilfer vrs the Giants. 12 of 25. 153 yds. 1 td. 0 turnovers.

He wasn’t great, but he was good enough.
Even at 8-4, we’re going to the same Pinstripe Bowl that we’re going to at 6-6.

I’m not sure why he is getting a disproportionate share of the Maryland Game blame. We lost the Maryland game because the defense was fatigued, which allowed Maryland to gain well over 500 yards in offensive output, with the quarterback accounting for 361 yards. We had missed assignments and mental mistakes galore, likely caused by fatigue. We gave up more yards and points to Maryland, then to Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan.

The offense scored 24 points, which was our seasonal high against better than .500 Big Ten Competition.

Furthermore, What people aren’t realizing is that he rushed for close to 48.8% of the rushing yards that our Big East Leading back, Kyle Monangai rushed for, with a fraction of Carries. His output was 488 rushing yards, with an exceptionally long TD run vs Indiana . Next year, his rushing output will be higher.

What Wimsatt at quarterback allows you to do is win, against similar or weaker competition, despite a weak WR and TE room, which will continue to be weak for ‘24, though we are bringing in a talented group of freshman who will ultimately rectify the problem. The freshmen will need time to hit their stride, and will likely only make a significant impact in ‘25. Though no one will complain if they do so in ‘24. Duff in particular could impact right away, but unfair to expect it.

The idea that you’re going to roll the dice on an unknown in the portal, because that’s the caliber of qb we would get, without NIL support, is frankly silly. The WSU qb got 10 offers of $1M to transfer to schools. The 9 schools that aren’t successful in landing him, will have significant resources to attract other QBs in the portal.

We might bring in a body, but they won’t be a serious threat to start. And if we don’t, I’m fine with going with AJ and Ajani.

Gavin will work very hard in the offseason to get better, and he’ll be ready to go for ‘24. If he can raise his completion % to over 50%, from 47.8%, that will be great.
I find it amusing that you don't consider why the defense was fatigued....

6 wins is the only stat that matters
Bull crap. I would like a competent offense. This junk is like watching paint dry. We are boring. And now we get to go to the glorious yankee bowl. I go to yankee stadium for one reason and one reason only…and it’s not to watch two boring teams rip up that beautiful field.

Reactions: noble106
RU does not have a B1G WR corps.
Yards after a catch barely exist.
Catch/tackle...catch/tackle....catch/tackle and so on
One WR has to often reach for balls and then falls often down after a catch.
Washington made a great catch on a Wimsatt "moon ball" (announcer term) and the TKR crew was wondering why he wasn't used more
Disagree. YAC (lack of) was primarily due to bad throws. Almost no passes hit guys in stride. When you have to stop or twist or turn back or show string, you don’t have the luxury of gaining YAC. Instead it is catch/tackle…catch/tackle. Lucky the catches wven happened. Watch the MD game again. We had guys open all day. Receivers are not all Americans, but they battled their butts off all season and made lots of great catches. It would be amazing how much respect they would have had from DBs if they had someone who could pass rather than throw to them.

Reactions: RUShea and AZBlues

A f'in Men

And making inaccurate throws look less routine is what separates...... Never mind.

When an open receiver has to frequently stop his route, turn around, jump high in the air, etc., to catch an inaccurately thrown ball, and especially when it's not a long or difficult throw, it's not what any B1G level receiver should be expected to have to do as often as our receivers have to do it. Saying that all receivers in America have to adjust to imperfectly thrown balls isn't a valid argument. It's the quantity or percentage of the imperfectly thrown balls that makes the difference.

With that being said, I'm not necessarily on the "replace GW at all costs" bandwagon, but anybody that doesn't admit that he has some accuracy issues that can affect completion percentage and yards after catch, at least at this time, either isn't seeing what I'm seeing, or else probably has a significant pro-GW bias.
Everyone acknowledges that his accuracy issues are his #1 opportunity to get better.
He will work hard in the offseason to do so.

Reactions: RUGiddy777
Bull crap. I would like a competent offense. This junk is like watching paint dry. We are boring. And now we get to go to the glorious yankee bowl. I go to yankee stadium for one reason and one reason only…and it’s not to watch two boring teams rip up that beautiful field.
Our wins were plenty exciting:

Reactions: Wagram97
  • Mike Teel too 4.5 years to be a good QB
  • Ryan Hart took 3 years to be a good qb in year 4
  • Gary Nova took 3 years to be a good qb in year 4
  • Noah Vedral was a good qb in ‘21, but he had a ton of experience. Unfortunately he didn’t play much in ‘22.
Why should Gavin Wimsatt be any different? Yes, it was an ugly passing year, but we did what we needed to do and got to a bowl.
Did any of the above mentioned QB’s have the worst passing completion ratio in FBS? And 5% worse than the second worst QB?
Rutgers can’t go into next year without a portal QB to at least give Gavin a QB competition.
Literally any FBS QB in the portal would be a more accurate passer.
I’m not discounting Gavin’s ability to run. But a P5 (or P2) football team needs to have a competent passer.

Did any of the above mentioned QB’s have the worst passing completion ratio in FBS? And 5% worse than the second worst QB?
Rutgers can’t go into next year without a portal QB to at least give Gavin a QB competition.
Literally any FBS QB in the portal would be a more accurate passer.
I’m not discounting Gavin’s ability to run. But a P5 (or P2) football team needs to have a competent passer.
His value is in his ability to run, which allows us to beat the teams we should beat. I count 9 winnable games on next years schedule with Wimsatt as QB. If we can get 6 of those 9, that would be good enough. The only unwinnable are Washington, USC, and Wisconsin.

They could get a body from the portal but unlikely to get a starter.

2024 Rutgers Football
Aug. 31: Howard
Sept. 7: Akron
Sept. 21: at Virginia Tech
Sept. 28: Washington*
Oct. 5: at Nebraska*
Oct. 12: Wisconsin*
Oct. 19: UCLA*
Oct. 26: at USC*
Nov. 9: Minnesota*
Nov. 16: at Maryland*
Nov. 23: Illinois*
Nov. 30: at Michigan State*

His value is in his ability to run, which allows us to beat the teams we should beat. I count 9 winnable games on next years schedule with Wimsatt as QB. If we can get 6 of those 9, that would be good enough. The only unwinnable are Washington, USC, and Wisconsin.

They could get a body from the portal but unlikely to get a starter.

2024 Rutgers Football
Aug. 31: Howard
Sept. 7: Akron
Sept. 21: at Virginia Tech
Sept. 28: Washington*
Oct. 5: at Nebraska*
Oct. 12: Wisconsin*
Oct. 19: UCLA*
Oct. 26: at USC*
Nov. 9: Minnesota*
Nov. 16: at Maryland*
Nov. 23: Illinois*
Nov. 30: at Michigan State*
Hard to guess wins and losses when we have no idea how many starters are returning at this point.
That being said, you’ll see more teams stacking the box next year with Gavin at QB.

But even on the passes he did complete, how many times did he hit a runner in stride to allow the receiver to get YAC?

Disagree. YAC (lack of) was primarily due to bad throws. Almost no passes hit guys in stride.
All the guys get bad passes but one who falls down a lot after making a catch.
Of course a lot of passes go to the sidelines where its hard to run anywhere

You mean the game plan was to play not to lose but never ever playing to win. Cannot overcome a 5 yard false start ? Are you kidding me ? Running on 3rd and 12 ? Besides the fact this was coach Joe’s worst game plan of the year , Kirk and Greg did not try to take the lead and win the game. Get that thought threw one’s head.

I swear there’s not a man on the planet who needs a girlfriend more than RutgersAl …. It’s genuinely incredible to witness a man go 20 years straight of pure delusion

Hard to guess wins and losses when we have no idea how many starters are returning at this point.
That being said, you’ll see more teams stacking the box next year with Gavin at QB.

But even on the passes he did complete, how many times did he hit a runner in stride to allow the receiver to get YAC?
I don’t know, but this play comes to mind, so it did happen.

Our WR room was not that weak. An accurate QB hits 55-60% or more with that group. There were not an unusual number of drops and many, many open receivers missed. He has to get a lot better - and at this point in his career it’s hard to see it happening.
Disagree. Separation was generally poor and we had no real TE and the number of drops was quite high. Doesn't mean Gavin was an accurate passer, but it wasn't all his fault and yes, he has to get better.

It's quite the change from having us winning the national championship every year lol
lol so true. I mean wasn’t 4 weeks ago he was claiming Rutgers will be passing up Ohio State and Michigan. But right now they don’t have enough talent to keep up with Maryland.

Al is a silly fan boy. He lacks insight, isn't capable of providing an objective perspective, and will consistently defend mediocrity. He loves the goalposts constantly and I honestly don't think he can engage in an discussion without NIL and Fieldhouse as his crutches.

I have nothing against him - this os what his posting history illustrates - but it's tiring.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT