ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt will be our Starting Quarterback next year

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
He wasn’t great, but he was good enough.
Even at 8-4, we’re going to the same Pinstripe Bowl that we’re going to at 6-6.

I’m not sure why he is getting a disproportionate share of the Maryland Game blame. We lost the Maryland game because the defense was fatigued, which allowed Maryland to gain well over 500 yards in offensive output, with the quarterback accounting for 361 yards. We had missed assignments and mental mistakes galore, likely caused by fatigue. We gave up more yards and points to Maryland, then to Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan.

The offense scored 24 points, which was our seasonal high against better than .500 Big Ten Competition.

Furthermore, What people aren’t realizing is that he rushed for close to 48.8% of the rushing yards that our Big East Leading back, Kyle Monangai rushed for, with a fraction of Carries. His output was 488 rushing yards, with an exceptionally long TD run vs Indiana . Next year, his rushing output will be higher.

What Wimsatt at quarterback allows you to do is win, against similar or weaker competition, despite a weak WR and TE room, which will continue to be weak for ‘24, though we are bringing in a talented group of freshman who will ultimately rectify the problem. The freshmen will need time to hit their stride, and will likely only make a significant impact in ‘25. Though no one will complain if they do so in ‘24. Duff in particular could impact right away, but unfair to expect it.

The idea that you’re going to roll the dice on an unknown in the portal, because that’s the caliber of qb we would get, without NIL support, is frankly silly. The WSU qb got 10 offers of $1M to transfer to schools. The 9 schools that aren’t successful in landing him, will have significant resources to attract other QBs in the portal.

We might bring in a body, but they won’t be a serious threat to start. And if we don’t, I’m fine with going with AJ and Ajani.

Gavin will work very hard in the offseason to get better, and he’ll be ready to go for ‘24. If he can raise his completion % to over 50%, from 47.8%, that will be great.

Last edited:
Our WR room was not that weak. An accurate QB hits 55-60% or more with that group. There were not an unusual number of drops and many, many open receivers missed. He has to get a lot better - and at this point in his career it’s hard to see it happening.

Our WR room was not that weak. An accurate QB hits 55-60% or more with that group. There were not an unusual number of drops and many, many open receivers missed. He has to get a lot better - and at this point in his career it’s hard to see it happening.
Truth

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers

I’m not sure why he is getting a disproportionate share of the Maryland Game blame. We lost the Maryland game because the defense was fatigued, which allowed Maryland to gain well over 500 yards in offensive output, with the quarterback accounting for 361 yards. We had missed assignments and mental mistakes galore, likely caused by fatigue. We gave up more yards and points to Maryland, then to Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan.

The offense scored 24 points, which was our seasonal high against better than .500 Big Ten Competition.

Furthermore, What people aren’t realizing is that he rushed for close to 48.8% of the rushing yards that our Big East Leading back, Kyle Monangai rushed for, with a fraction of Carries. His output was 488 rushing yards, with an exceptionally long TD run vs Indiana . Next year, his rushing output will be higher.

What Wimsatt at quarterback allows you to do is win, against similar or weaker competition, despite a weak WR and TE room, which will continue to be weak for ‘24, though we are bringing in a talented group of freshman who will ultimately rectify the problem. The freshmen will need time to hit their stride, and will likely only make a significant impact in ‘25. Though no one will complain if they do so in ‘24. Duff in particular could impact right away, but unfair to expect it.

The idea that you’re going to roll the dice on an unknown in the portal, because that’s the caliber of qb we would get, without NIL support, is frankly silly. The WSU got 10 offers of $1M to transfer to schools. The 9 schools that aren’t successful in landing him, will have significant resources to attract other QBs in the portal.

We might bring in a body, but they won’t be a serious threat to start. And if we don’t, I’m fine with going with AJ and Ajani.

Gavin will work very hard in the offseason to get better, and he’ll be ready to go for ‘24. If he can raise his completion % to over 50%, from 47.8%, that will be great.
100%

Plenty of great options at QB in the portal but this fanbase does not really want to win. The QB’s that can come here and do a great job and make everyone happy won’t be coming here. he will go to the schools where the fanbase actually gives a sh8t about winning. Hopefully Gavin improves because no one is coming here and we can blame ourselves. Recruiting in 2023 is about NIL and we don’t participate.

First season = "memorization"
Second season = "understanding"
Third season = "mastery"

Those three steps are how Kirk Ciarrocca sees QB development according to the Maryland game announcers

6:10-6:25

Yes, so every third year we can have a good quarterback. And that is only the case if the next guy in line stays 5years. An incredible statement by KC.

It a better receiver group than Penn State has this year. They have bailed him out with some good catches. In the Penn State game alone there were at least 4 catches they made that should have been incompletions.

The idea that you’re going to roll the dice on an unknown in the portal, because that’s the caliber of qb we would get, without NIL support, is frankly silly. The WSU got 10 offers of $1M to transfer to schools. The 9 schools that aren’t successful in landing him, will have significant resources to attract other QBs in the portal.

Why wasn’t Maryland fatigued ?

Wimsatt will work hard to get better in the offseason, and he knows he must do so.

I don’t know what games you were watching because Your 55-60% assertion is based on nothing. Yes, There were too many misses, and that’s bad on Wimsatt. But there were also a ton of passes successfully defended and broken up, and that’s due to the lack of talent in the WR room.

The WR room is certainly Weak compared to the competition we lost to. Michigan, OSU, PSU, Maryland, Iowa, and Wisconsin certainly have more talented WR Corp.

Marylands WR Corp will soon be playing in the NFL, while ours will likely be pushing paper 📑 in NYC after graduating, though maybe one might have a chance as a UDFA.

If you can’t see that Marylands WRs were head and shoulders better, than we’ll just have to disagree.

I just have to wonder if, at this point, his ability to throw better can be really improved all that much.
Clearly, he is not a natural thrower. Based on his ability to run, why can't he learn to hit shorter passes rolling out?
Short of some kind of miracle, I can't see us getting someone who will be a one and done starter.
Winning with a totally run based offense just isn't going to cut it.

Given the current roster, GW will probably start 2024 as the starting QB. He needs a lot of improvement in seeing the field and accuracy passing the ball. I’m not sure he will be able to improve that much. RU’s WR corps is not that talented for a B1G team. However, the threat of GW running the ball is an important part of the offense, without that the run game would be much worse in the B1G, especially if Monangai leaves this year. The other RBs do not have the quick feet and vision that KM has which is going to make the run game less effective next year.

The WR room is certainly Weak compared to the competition we lost to. Michigan, OSU, PSU, Maryland, Iowa, and Wisconsin certainly have more talented WR Corp.
RU does not have a B1G WR corps.
Yards after a catch barely exist.
Catch/tackle...catch/tackle....catch/tackle and so on
One WR has to often reach for balls and then falls often down after a catch.
Washington made a great catch on a Wimsatt "moon ball" (announcer term) and the TKR crew was wondering why he wasn't used more

Reactions: tomatocan
They were fatigued, but less fatigued then we were.

Because they have a soon to be NFL Quarterback who threw for 3300+ yards, combined with a good rushing attack, which kept their defense fresher.
Then perhaps Rutgers need a new strength and conditioning program because Rutgers defense played the 16th fewest snaps on defense nationally and 4th fewest in the BIG. Marylands defense played a whole additional games worth of snaps and still wasn’t as fatigued.

On top of that Maryland defense was on the field for 79 plays while Rutgers defense was on the field for 59 plays. So why was Rutgers defense so much more fatigued especially in the first quarter when Maryland scored 21?

Yes, so every third year we can have a good quarterback. And that is only the case if the next guy in line stays 5years. An incredible statement by KC.

He might have picked-up that three-year plan from Schiano lol
That's exactly how Glacier Greg see's his timetables

Al- as you know, I have been a patient supporter of GW all year. He was a big reason why we outplayed the pre season predictions and his jump from 2022 to 2023 on game 1 was outstanding. It just gave a lot of hope.
I also saw him make some great throws and decisions. And break off some big runs when they were needed. He was still locking on his primary and sailed way too many throws but those are mechanics and catching up to the speed o the game things that should get better.
For me- 2023, I would have expected that over 3 months of games and practice- he would have looked much better by game 12. But, it seems he stayed where he was in game 1. Still, much better than last year but makes me wonder if we have seen his ceiling.

The next part falls completely on him. If he works hard on what he does poorly and can make a similar jump from 2023 to 2024, then I am good for him to go next year and excited to see what he can do. But until we see it, I have to go into the off season in fear that 2023 is his ceiling. And, that just will not be good enough.

I hope he has it in him. Seems like a good kid and you can see that talent is under the surface. But, he just has to get better.

I just have to wonder if, at this point, his ability to throw better can be really improved all that much.
Clearly, he is not a natural thrower. Based on his ability to run, why can't he learn to hit shorter passes rolling out?
Short of some kind of miracle, I can't see us getting someone who will be a one and done starter.
Winning with a totally run based offense just isn't going to cut it.
His biggest issue is mechanics. When he sets his feet, in particular, he throws an NFL ball. This was shown time and time again, especially in the Northwestern and MSU games.

Reactions: eddynyse
RU does not have a B1G WR corps.
Yards after a catch barely exist.
Catch/tackle...catch/tackle....catch/tackle and so on
One WR has to often reach for balls and then falls often down after a catch.
Washington made a great catch on a Wimsatt "moon ball" (announcer term) and the TKR crew was wondering why he wasn't used more
Seperation is easier if the QB doesn’t stare down his primary target and an entire Offense isn’t dumbed down to accommodate a qb who has no touch or feel and can’t run a two minute drill or a hurry up

Third season = "mastery"

Those three steps are how Kirk Ciarrocca sees QB development according to the Maryland game announcers

I don’t understand how he thinks he can be successful in today’s game with a three year program. With roster turn over the way it is you simply aren’t going to have a qb for 3 years all the time.

Sorry Al. This isn’t a a good take from you at all. He isn’t getting the blame for the Maryland loss per se. Fans are looking comprehensively at the big picture as we think about next season. There’s no way to sugar coat having the WORST stats in FBS. And it doesn’t matter if some of the losses would’ve been losses anyway or if we’d end up in the same bowl with a better record. 8-4 is still much better than 6-6.

The bottom line is his poor play directly contributed to the Wisconsin, Iowa and yes, also the OSU losses. That’s not to say we 100% would’ve won those games if not for him. Rather, a better way to put it is that we would’ve had a better chance in all 3 of those games with most FBS starting QBs and the same surrounding cast. On the flip side, I don’t see a single win you could point to where you’d say - we probably don’t win that game without Gavin (i.e. with a different starting FBS QB playing in his place). You’ll try to tell me we needed Gavin’s legs for the Indiana game, but I’m not buying it. Another QB would’ve done much better than 5/12 and 39 yards in the air against them.

My feeling is we better have a plan to bring in someone at least as the Noah Vedral level to compete with Gavin and the freshmen for a starting spot.

Third season = "mastery"

• Mike Teel too 4.5 years to be a good QB
  • Ryan Hart took 3 years to be a good qb in year 4
  • Gary Nova took 3 years to be a good qb in year 4
  • Noah Vedral was a good qb in ‘21, but he had a ton of experience. Unfortunately he didn’t play much in ‘22.
Why should Gavin Wimsatt be any different? Yes, it was an ugly passing year, but we did what we needed to do and got to a bowl.

If it was simply mechanics why is in year 3 he is doing the same things? So you are saying he has had little or bad coaching the past 3 years?
He is not consistently demonstrating solid mechanics. The why, I’m not sure about.

Our WR room was very week. Yes GW struggled to hit some passes, but we also had multiple drops and struggles at times to beat man press. Once Jackson got hurt he was never the same and we stopped being able to beat 1 on 1 man press matchups without rub routes or different actions. Our top 3 WRs were out or not at 100%.

I think next year I think CD and IS with CL coming back and hopefully our transfer being cleared it will be very different. Our big issue is finding a TE.

• Noah Vedral was a good qb in ‘21, but he had a ton of experience. Unfortunately he didn’t play much in ‘22.
Why should Gavin Wimsatt be any different? Yes, it was an ugly passing year, but we did what we needed to do and got to a bowl.
Were these guys the worst FBS QBs in their prior years? I don’t have the data but I doubt it.

Were these guys the worst FBS QBs in their prior years? I don’t have the data but I doubt it.
No they weren’t. But they also didn’t rush for anything close to 488 rushing yards. Wimsatt’s total productivity was over 2K yards, which is good enough.

Technically I have no issue with the three-year development tree.
My problem with Schiano is he sees everybody as "young" and needing micro steps.
A B1G player is supposed to have some talent
When you stress talented players to perform they can surprise even themselves.
That builds confidence as well as maturing ability
I'm not saying a young QB should start flinging balls into triple coverage but maybe try a shovel pass on goal instead of the usual 3 downs and FG.
Even when RU has the talent the RZ offense sucks year-in and year-out.
Teel had NFL WRs/OL/RB and while devouring yards between the 20s, the RZ offense was still a struggle.

Our WR room was very week. Yes GW struggled to hit some passes, but we also had multiple drops and struggles at times to beat man press. Once Jackson got hurt he was never the same and we stopped being able to beat 1 on 1 man press matchups without rub routes or different actions. Our top 3 WRs were out or not at 100%.

I think next year I think CD and IS with CL coming back and hopefully our transfer being cleared it will be very different. Our big issue is finding a TE.

Stop. Every team has a few dropped passes. We did not have an eye popping number of these. The glaring problem is Gavin’s incompetence in the short game. Even with poor wide outs we could’ve used the RBs for these. Except we couldn’t because Gavin’s poor percentage was even worse with these type of bunny passes that most other QBs complete at 85% or better. Also - he was responsible for lack of follow on yards on many of the ones that were completed because of the poor ball placement.

I don’t understand how he thinks he can be successful in today’s game with a three year program. With roster turn over the way it is you simply aren’t going to have a qb for 3 years all the time.
Are you expecting to lose Allar this year? Who is going to step in for him?

Combination of both. There were drops. More importantly very inconsistent getting open downfield. Not defending Gavin. Just saying better receivers Gavin’s numbers are better too. Upgrades needed at QB AND TE AND WR and OL etc etc

Plenty of great options at QB in the portal but this fanbase does not really want to win. The QB’s that can come here and do a great job and make everyone happy won’t be coming here. he will go to the schools where the fanbase actually gives a sh8t about winning. Hopefully Gavin improves because no one is coming here and we can blame ourselves. Recruiting in 2023 is about NIL and we don’t participate.
Could be one of the silliest comments ever. Name one fan that does not want to win…..I will wait

Reactions: yesrutgers01
The WR group was weak other than Dremel , Jackson and occasionally a combination of Washington, Strong. Long was out that hurt for sure. Compare our receivers to those of Ohio State, Michigan , Penn State, Maryland
Sorry Al. This isn’t a a good take from you at all. He isn’t getting the blame for the Maryland loss per se. Fans are looking comprehensively at the big picture as we think about next season. There’s no way to sugar coat having the WORST stats in FBS. And it doesn’t matter if some of the losses would’ve been losses anyway or if we’d end up in the same bowl with a better record. 8-4 is still much better than 6-6.

The bottom line is his poor play directly contributed to the Wisconsin, Iowa and yes, also the OSU losses. That’s not to say we 100% would’ve won those games if not for him. Rather, a better way to put it is that we would’ve had a better chance in all 3 of those games with most FBS starting QBs and the same surrounding cast. On the flip side, I don’t see a single win you could point to where you’d say - we probably don’t win that game without Gavin (i.e. with a different starting FBS QB playing in his place). You’ll try to tell me we needed Gavin’s legs for the Indiana game, but I’m not buying it. Another QB would’ve done much better than 5/12 and 39 yards in the air against them.

My feeling is we better have a plan to bring in someone at least as the Noah Vedral level to compete with Gavin and the freshmen for a starting spot.
rutgersal some of these posters will say anything . Denying that there were definitely undertones of blame being placed on Gavin. Sounds so 2023 doesn’t it?

Reactions: rutgersal
Stop. Every team has a few dropped passes. We did not have an eye popping number of these. The glaring problem is Gavin’s incompetence in the short game. Even with poor wide outs we could’ve used the RBs for these. Except we couldn’t because Gavin’s poor percentage was even worse with these type of bunny passes that most other QBs complete at 85% or better. Also - he was responsible for lack of follow on yards on many of the ones that were completed because of the poor ball placement.
Everyone knows Gavin has to improve his accuracy. Gavin knows that better than anyone else.

But if you are going to slag Gavin, you can’t ignore that there were a ton of passes successfully defended On catchable balls. A ton. And that was because we lack talent in the WR Corp.

Reactions: ILikePike
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT