ADVERTISEMENT

Donigan out

This should not be a super difficult task-to hire a quality coach. It’s a great situation to step into. Already at rock bottom in terms of program success (so things have got to get better with a coach who has skills) but there are some decent players on the roster to work with. Facilities are a plus and getting better. Big Ten. Great recruiting region. Stuff you all have been saying. I guess that given all of these draws, I expect Hobbs to really knock this out of the box and make an exciting but solid and sensible hire. To fail on this with all of the factors working in Rutgers’s favor would be devastating.

Some that come to mind.

While several of these names bring back some good memories of better days for the mens soccer program, I am not sure any of the former players noted are good candidates. Lalas would certainly bring a name but can't believe he would be interested and if he was, would need to be sure about his commitment. He might be a better resource to Hobbs than an actual hire. Masur's name came up when Donigan was hired. Not sure if there was mutual interest at the time. Some indicated his recent St.Johns teams have not been at the same level as his earlier team which could be a red flag. The UConn assistant could be the best of the bunch, but no HC experience. Appreciate the list but would like to see others. No room for sentimentality here. We learned the hard way with Jordan on that front.

I like the UConn guy and the idea of a big-name hire. Also like the coach from Montclair as a dark horse candidate...I know he's unknown and they are Div III but he certainly can coach and knows NJ soccer. Love Lalas but he's never coached and he's getting PAID and making a name for himself with his current gig.

Lalas ain't coming here.

Tumelty at Montclair State would be an intriguing hire. Another NJAC title and seven NCAA Tournament appearances in eight years. Could see him being an assistant pick if RU goes with a bigger brand name coach.

Reactions: bigmatt718
If this info from NJ com article about Donigan being released is correct, then I have to say that Hobbs did not really play his cards very well last year:

“Donigan was given a three-year extension as Rutgers coach on March 3, 2017. His contract terminates Dec. 13, 2019, which means the university will be on the hook for the remainder of a deal that includes an annual base salary of $143,500.”

I hope Lalas isn't a real consideration. Though a Rutgers guy, his rep in the soccer world isn't great, which is putting it mildly.

Huh? Alexei is one of our best known athletes on a global scale.

I'm not saying that he should be hired as our coach, given his lack of coaching experience. But I do feel that he should be involved in the search since he represents a connection to the glory years.

I'm not saying that he should be hired as our coach, given his lack of coaching experience. But I do feel that he should be involved in the search since he represents a connection to the glory years.

Known doesn't mean respected and liked in that community. Among many players of his generation, it isn't great.

Perhaps involved in the search, but he's personally rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I've been hearing that for a long time.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Known doesn't mean respected and liked in that community. Among many players of his generation, it isn't great.

Perhaps involved in the search, but he's personally rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I've been hearing that for a long time.

Spot-on. I’ve known Alexis for a long time, not very well, but hangout with them a few times back in school, and he’s the same guy he is on the air and that doesn’t rub everybody the right way. I also think he loves being on TV, and would never leave it to go through the grind of recruiting and coaching and everything else, so I think it’s a non-started to begin with but I could be wrong who knows.

Reactions: scarlet night
My dream of seeing Z. Thornton roaming the sidelines isn't looking so great.

DC United is pulling out all the stops to keep him.

I don’t see any benefit In Lalas even being involved (and I certainly don’t see him as a head coach candidate) unless he and Hobbs and/or whoever Hobbs has as a point person for the search have a prior good relationship. Lalas has a big personality and I can see his presence, even in an advisory capacity, being more of an issue and distraction than useful.

I don’t see any benefit In Lalas even being involved (and I certainly don’t see him as a head coach candidate) unless he and Hobbs and/or whoever Hobbs has as a point person for the search have a prior good relationship. Lalas has a big personality and I can see his presence, even in an advisory capacity, being more of an issue and distraction than useful.

Completely agree.

If this is a valid list of candidates than I may need to reset my expectations that the next coach will have a solid track record of success at the collegiate level. Really comes down to what criteria will Hobbs use and who is he relying on to develop the list of both criteria and candidates. I would put Meola in the Lalas category of being a big name without much or any coaching experience. I agree that Masur window may have closed. These MLS guys may turn out great, but you would be going on recommendations from others and their supposed recruiting relationships than any real body of work.

If this is a valid list of candidates than I may need to reset my expectations that the next coach will have a solid track record of success at the collegiate level. Really comes down to what criteria will Hobbs use and who is he relying on to develop the list of both criteria and candidates. I would put Meola in the Lalas category of being a big name without much or any coaching experience. I agree that Masur window may have closed. These MLS guys may turn out great, but you would be going on recommendations from others and their supposed recruiting relationships than any real body of work.
I would say that Acquista and Williams look to be the most appealing names on this list. Young, energetic, deeply involved in either academy, MLS, and/or national team. They both may not have exact collegiate coaching experience but have great familiarity as players at high levels and as scouts/coaches at MLS or academy. I think they would both offer excitement, great recruiting potential, and the ability to lead the team with charisma and deep knowledge of how to succeed. If either of them were hired, I think that they would need very strong technical assistant on their staff. Likely a key person or two with the exact college coaching experience they don’t have.

I’m interested why aren’t we hearing about Brendan Nash? At least as a candidate. HC experience, recruits the area well, respected in N.J. not sure he has the connections with the highe end academies though.

I’m interested why aren’t we hearing about Brendan Nash? At least as a candidate. HC experience, recruits the area well, respected in N.J. not sure he has the connections with the highe end academies though.

Because RU can and should get a better hire. Besides being from NJ what does he bring to the table? Has not had a winning season since 2013-14.

Because RU can and should get a better hire. Besides being from NJ what does he bring to the table? Has not had a winning season since 2013-14.
While true, you know what that timing coincides with? The rest of the Patriot League began giving scholarships and Bucknell has not. Pretty hard to outrecruit peer schools when your school will cost the family $70k a year more.

Based on your interview linked in this thread, it seems as if you would.
I'm not sure what this response means.

Is there head coaching experience here?

What are his local ties? Born or grew up in the area? College here?

Played a couple MLS seasons in the area at the end of his career.

Coaching wise, has he coached outfield players? Can he recruit?

"BD: What should Rutgers be looking for in a new coach?

KD: A new coach needn’t necessarily be a success at the college soccer level as, in recent years, former players have done well in creating excitement and enthusiasm. A young coach who is a former player could be a great hire. Five years at this job could see a coach transition to being an assistant at the MLS level or maybe even a head coach."

Based on your interview answer:
1) He has experience at Villanova where he recruited well
2) He's early 40's
3) He is a former player, AA in college and many years in the MLS, including Goalie of the Year, MLS Champions, and played for the US National Team.
4) He's already an assistant at an MLS team so wouldn't want to go back. He would likely only leave for an MLS job
5) His contacts at the academy level in the area are very, very strong.

It isn't going to happen though. DC United is pulling out all the stops to keep him, which tells you how good of a coach he is and how he is viewed in the world of soccer.

"BD: What should Rutgers be looking for in a new coach?

KD: A new coach needn’t necessarily be a success at the college soccer level as, in recent years, former players have done well in creating excitement and enthusiasm. A young coach who is a former player could be a great hire. Five years at this job could see a coach transition to being an assistant at the MLS level or maybe even a head coach."

Based on your interview answer:
1) He has experience at Villanova where he recruited well
2) He's early 40's
3) He is a former player, AA in college and many years in the MLS, including Goalie of the Year, MLS Champions, and played for the US National Team.
4) He's already an assistant at an MLS team so wouldn't want to go back. He would likely only leave for an MLS job
5) His contacts at the academy level in the area are very, very strong.

It isn't going to happen though. DC United is pulling out all the stops to keep him, which tells you how good of a coach he is and how he is viewed in the world of soccer.
What are the stops they are pulling out for him?

What are the stops they are pulling out for him?

$$$. His contract is up. They are making it hard to not stay, considering the success the team had to close the year, Rooney coming back, and a full season in their new stadium.

He will be a head coach/manager some day, whether it be in the MLS or a major college, I am convinced.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT