ADVERTISEMENT

Dylan Harper Recruitment Update

Just stay home for a one and done!
Hoping he reverses the long line of athletes that have left NJ to become stars on "foreign" soil: R U listening Lance Thomas, Jay Williams etc. etc. etc. With this commitment (G'd willing) Dylan cements the Harpers in Rutgers / NJ lore; Forever!

WE WANT DYLAN HARPER!

MO

It’s crazy but I really feel like he’s already a part of the team and R family. Never followed a high school recruit more closely. Even went to his playoff game last year at Bosco against SH prep and the Camden game at Kean this year. I really hope he stays home. If not please go to Duke or Auburn somewhere far away. If he goes to Indiana I will be physically sick

If he has an underwhelming freshman year he might not be one and done. If you look at the Duke guys this past year they all fell out of the lottery even though they were top 5 prospects. Some might still go pro but I could also see them staying to try to get back into the lottery and secure that bigger contract.

If he has an underwhelming freshman year he might not be one and done. If you look at the Duke guys this past year they all fell out of the lottery even though they were top 5 prospects. Some might still go pro but I could also see them staying to try to get back into the lottery and secure that bigger contract.

Dariq Whitehead and Dereck Lively have already declared for the NBA draft with no intention of returning.

The difference in contract isn't why people return.
It's to get into the 1st round and a guaranteed contract.

Any money gained by returning (a couple million) is vastly less than the money they lose by delaying a 2nd NBA contract for an additional year.

Feels like Dylan is ours provided we deliver close to the $1M deal he’s getting elsewhere.

I don't think NIL is priority for him. He comes from money... He knows he will be in NBA sometime in the future...
Not a priority but you still get close to your worth even if you give someone a discount.

Dariq Whitehead and Dereck Lively have already declared for the NBA draft with no intention of returning.

Any money gained by returning (a couple million) is vastly less than the money they lose by delaying a 2nd NBA contract for an additional year.
Not always the case. The kid from Florida is coming back to get into next years lottery as it has a much weaker draft. He would have gone first round this year.

Thank you. This should pop up whenever anyone posts about anything related to top prospects leaving for the draft.
This and a generic "almost every player will improve their NBA prospects more in the G League than in college".

Duke is also proof that landing a bunch of 5 stars does not guarantee success. Considering all of their one-and-done talent, this year was a big disappointment for the Blue Devils.

He is absolutely a one and done, Ace is one as well.
Well, I would temper expectations a bit
I would expect both to play well as freshmen, but college life and tough games away take adjusting to
I would expect to make the tournament, but how far you go is tough to gauge

Now if both played three years I would guess a deep run.
Both playing for one year helps the program, but then I question how much benefit we get down the road....

I could be wrong but I think both play here multiple years, if they enjoy the college experience. Possibly parents influence in that direction also

Duke is also proof that landing a bunch of 5 stars does not guarantee success. Considering all of their one-and-done talent, this year was a big disappointment for the Blue Devils.
It doesn’t guarantee success but it doesn’t hurt. Duke made the final four with a one and done class the year before. Definitely need a core in place before the freshman arrive though.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Coming from money isn’t the same as making your own money. There’s a difference.
I agree but I dont think he has his eyes on NIL as ultimate prize. His prize is NBA and NBA money.
Nothing is guaranteed but i dont think there is anyone who would say he will never make it to NBA. Im sure he is thinking same.

So what is college to him?

I dont think NIL breadcrumbs money (compared to what he will make in NBA) is what will drive his decision on college.

Whitehead and Lively were also battling injuries all year, and they still managed to win 27 games and get to the sweet sixteen. Hard to call something a disappointment when we haven’t seen that kind of success since 76.

I would counsel my child to go to the best opportunity for their future -- not the best financial opportunity for one year. They are not the same thing.

A good argument could be made that G-League Ignite is that.
Play full time basketball in a professional structure. No need to be distracted by classes and such.

A good argument could be made that G-League Ignite is that.
Play full time basketball in a professional structure. No need to be distracted by classes and such.
If all you care about is basketball, Ignite is a very good choice. If you believe that one year of acclimating to living outside the home with your peers before going pro might benefit personal development (off the court), you might feel differently. And, of course, if you value education notwithstanding a basketball future, you may stay longer than one year.

since we are all just voicing our opinions based on limited information we have.

here's my take what is his priority and no priority (if i was in his shoe)

Priority
#1 - Experiencing College for year or two
#2 - Playing for good coach that will allow him to be better as player in all aspects (offence and defense)
#3 - chance for Legacy (Natty possibility)
#4 - Atmosphere

non priority
#1 - NIL money - i believe and everyone believes he will make alot of money in NBA
#2 - go to Big Name School - I think Rutgers has enough incoming big recruits, that he doesnt need to go to Duke to play with best players

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Not always the case. The kid from Florida is coming back to get into next years lottery as it has a much weaker draft. He would have gone first round this year.

Riley Kugel?
Is he a 1st round pick this year?
I haven't really seen that many places. I've seen 2nd round pick this year (which is unguaranteed contract) and potential to get into 1st round next year.
Makes sense he would return if that's the case - try to play himself into a more solid draft projection.

Note for others: This is a perfect example of how bogus the "declare to get an evaluation" is. These guys all have a good idea of their projection already well before declaring.

Just based on rankings it’s more likely than not that two top 5 players in their class would be one and dones. There are exceptions of course but I don’t see where the multiple years of college takes would be coming from other than wishful thinking

I don’t want to throw water on everybody’s parade, but this is Duke we’re dealing with. Clemson thought they had Zion Williamson in the bag and then when he committed to Duke it was a huge shock. Let’s just breathe easily and hope everything works out okay. I think it will, but again, we need to be careful here

Riley Kugel?
Is he a 1st round pick this year?
I haven't really seen that many places. I've seen 2nd round pick this year (which is unguaranteed contract) and potential to get into 1st round next year.
Makes sense he would return if that's the case - try to play himself into a more solid draft projection.

Note for others: This is a perfect example of how bogus the "declare to get an evaluation" is. These guys all have a good idea of their projection already well before declaring.
Most mocks I’ve seen have his first round but year I guess not entirely a lock. He didn’t seem to be rising every week. At the end of the day I highly doubt ace or Dylan stay in college for more than a year but it’s happened before. Think that guy ware from Oregon is transferring but not going pro and he was ranked like 7th last year.

Reactions: NickRU714
Whitehead and Lively were also battling injuries all year, and they still managed to win 27 games and get to the sweet sixteen. Hard to call something a disappointment when we haven’t seen that kind of success since 76.
Duke got bounced in the Round of 32. They did not make the Sweet 16.

I would counsel my child to go to the best opportunity for their future -- not the best financial opportunity for one year. They are not the same thing.
I would counsel my kid to go to college play at a high level and get paid. His finalists are all academically sound. Duke and Indiana are not terrific schools?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT