ADVERTISEMENT

Dylan Harper Update

I get this is his opportunity to enjoy the process. Being so highly rated/coveted his recruiting experience will be different than 90% of HS athletes.

Hoping all reports are true he continues to be a Rutgers lean. Gosh this is taking forever…wish he would announce.

Harper played a ton of league games with Ace Bailey over the summer and built a lasting friendship

Pike and Knight traveled around the globe to watch him play when other coaches didn't

I'm sure he'll get a comfortable NIL deal at Rutgers

Why commit to a school that has hardly paid any attention to you other than getting a big check? (BTW, Harper will make good money at Rutgers and will CERTAINLY make big bucks in the NBA)

Have to feel good with Richie's crystal ball

Harper played a ton of league games with Ace Bailey over the summer and built a lasting friendship

Pike and Knight traveled around the globe to watch him play when other coaches didn't

Why commit to a school that has hardly paid any attention to you other than getting a big check? (BTW, Harper will make good money at Rutgers and will CERTAINLY make big bucks in the NBA)

Hypothetically if Kansas was to offer a few million more it would be very hard to turn down.

Unfortunately that's just the way things are.

Hypothetically if Kansas was to offer a few million more it would be very hard to turn down.

Unfortunately that's just the way things are.
Although he might just realize that it’s possible he can make that money anyway in the NBA. Regardless of how he plays in college he’ll still be a lottery pick because of his high school ranking alone.

Reactions: Scarlet83
This is the recruiting landscape.

Kansas probably trying to pull away Ace. You get Ace and you get Harper.
Pretty sure the story goes, Ace could have went anywhere but he wants to play his one year in college with JMike. If there is no room for JMike, Ace isn't coming no matter the offer and if JMike stays here for 24-25 no amount will change that.

I mean the positives of signing with a school like Kansas are literally endless. Let’s not be naive. Hopefully Rutgers pulls it off though.

KU gonna hit him with a 2-4M NIL offer. Big league flex.

I have no idea what RU is offering but if it's not near that I wouldn't fault the kid for going. If it's at the higher end of the scale, that's real money. Walks with $2MM likely into the NBA. This is a business and that is the right business move.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I have no idea what RU is offering but if it's not near that I wouldn't fault the kid for going. If it's at the higher end of the scale, that's real money. Walks with $2MM likely into the NBA. This is a business and that is the right business move.
Unfortunately I have to agree. If we miss on him it would be easier to stomach if KU simply delivered him a dump truck of benjamins rather than something else.

I mean the positives of signing with a school like Kansas are literally endless. Let’s not be naive. Hopefully Rutgers pulls it off though.
What are those endless positives over other schools?
Literally the only advantage they have aside from money is that they are a legit NC contender each season.

But the belief is that these kids collectively create a NC contender so where’s the advantage?

They’re both slated in mock drafts as top 10 picks in 2025 already lol.

Who the fck pays an 18 year old 2 million dollars to play at their favorite school for one year?

People are saying Kansas has all these advantages however, my question, if you're Addidas where do you want him to play? An hour away from NYC and in the center of the media market capital of the world or Lawrence, Kansas population 96,000? I don't know about you, but I never hear about Kansas on the evening sports news until March Madness.

Last edited:
If you're Addidas where do you want him to play? An hour away from NYC and in the center of the media market capital of the world or Lawrence, Kansas population 96,000?
Excellent point. If they want to start the marketing early, no better place to do it. But I don’t know how the whole NIL sneaker money thing works. Does Addidas have a bigger pot to throw around at Kansas than RU? Don’t know.

Excellent point. If they want to start the marketing early, no better place to do it. But I don’t know how the whole NIL sneaker money thing works. Does Addidas have a bigger pot to throw around at Kansas than RU? Don’t know.
I don't know either, just thought of why the B1G took us for our location and made a sh*t ton of money because of it. Why wouldn't these shoe and merchandise companies think along the same lines? If I was our NIL GM I'd be marketing the sh*t out of this angle. You want to be on the evening news in NYC/NJ or Lawrence, Kansas?

Reactions: malaka27
I don't know either, just thought of why the B1G took us for our location and made a sh*t ton of money because of it. Why wouldn't these shoe and merchandise companies think along the same lines? If I was our NIL GM I'd be marketing the sh*t out of this angle. You want to be on the evening news in NYC/NJ or Lawrence, Kansas?
I agree. But I just don’t know how they structure things.

I would imagine they look at star potential and allocate funds accordingly, but what if they just devote more of their money to blue bloods since they usually produce NBA talent and get the most attention in the CBB world?

I think we have the potential to do better for these players but it’s still a bit of a leap right now.

Reactions: koleszar
Dylan can do whatever he wants. It is his life. But I will say this. If after everything put out there for him to come to Rutgers..
Location.(mom)
Ace. (Partner)
Legacy.(Brother Ron)
Staffs commitment to him. (World wide travel and long term commitment for a "one and done")
NIL funds sourced.

If he pulls a last minute rug.. .. to quote Tom Petty.. "Don't come around here no more"

I'm an old school guy and not a fan of chasing so called one and dones. But if Pike wants him this much he'd leap frog Lance, Dantey, Rosario, Etch, Omoury, and the rest of those screw jobs as the biggest xxxxx to have played Rutgers (sorry for the misspelled names).

I know family says make YOUR mark and Rutgers itself holds a different value. But the name Harper and Rutgers could be a historic mark made that would have value beyond cash and live well after it's spent.

People are saying Kansas has all these advantages however, my question, if you're Addidas where do you want him to play? An hour away from NYC and in the center of the media market capital of the world or Lawrence, Kansas population 96,000? I don't know about you, but I never hear about Kansas on the evening sports news until March Madness.

My thought (totally uninformed) is that Addidas would offer the same money regardless of Rutgers or Kansas.
Like you said - to Addidas I can't see Kansas being any different than us.
It's all about getting Harper in the Addidas family for the NBA.

However, maybe it's Kansas private NIL opportunities adding on top of Addidas $$ which potentially buries Rutgers? Hopefully not.

It seemed the Addidas money was the differentiator between us and Duke.
However, it seems Kansas has access to the same Addidas finds since they are also an Addias school. As said above, Addidas seems to not care about particular school.

Adidas isn’t going to bid against itself, that’s stupid. Any above and beyond what we are offering would come from elsewhere.
Every KU alum is nuts over hoops. It’s like PSU and football. It’s the identity of the whole institution. We offer something different - an opportunity to create history, which is not for everyone but hopefully Dylan sees the potential.

Dylan can do whatever he wants. It is his life. But I will say this. If after everything put out there for him to come to Rutgers..
Location.(mom)
Ace. (Partner)
Legacy.(Brother Ron)
Staffs commitment to him. (World wide travel and long term commitment for a "one and done")
NIL funds sourced.

If he pulls a last minute rug.. .. to quote Tom Petty.. "Don't come around here no more"

I'm an old school guy and not a fan of chasing so called one and dones. But if Pike wants him this much he'd leap frog Lance, Dantey, Rosario, Etch, Omoury, and the rest of those screw jobs as the biggest xxxxx to have played Rutgers (sorry for the misspelled names).

I know family says make YOUR mark and Rutgers itself holds a different value. But the name Harper and Rutgers could be a historic mark made that would have value beyond cash and live well after it's spent.
I think Pike is going after one and dones because even the three star guys are one and done (transfer) in the NIL era

If it’s about money in the end, and goes for tge bag last minute, that would be a very low thing for him to do. Considering it’s so last minute, the love and commitment shown to him, and tge fact that Adidas deal would prolly be same. Rutgers ain’t Kansas in hoops lore I get it, but that’s old news. He would be more than a program maker. Here, he’s legend. There? Not so much. I think his Mom knows that.

I think Pike is going after one and dones because even the three star guys are one and done (transfer) in the NIL era
Yup basically semi pro. Anyone can/will leave after one year. Vast majority will not make it to the league. Then ruin their college experience hopping around to different schools with no real focus on academics which is what will sustain them in the long run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT