ADVERTISEMENT

easiest way to reduce property taxes

simple.... you stick your d!ck in it, you pay for it... any questions?

Since many people feel the second amendment applies to militias, every neighborhood should form one. 24 hour armed patrols in each neighborhood. Not only could you drive crime down, but you would have 24 hour fire watch. Haha, let's do it. We can start the Scarletnation Militia. Patrol the banks of the Raritan like days long past.

Since many people feel the second amendment applies to militias, every neighborhood should form one. 24 hour armed patrols in each neighborhood. Not only could you drive crime down, but you would have 24 hour fire watch. Haha, let's do it. We can start the Scarletnation Militia. Patrol the banks of the Raritan like days long past.

Sadly the civil rights guaranteed by the 2A in in the Bill of Rights do not exist in NJ. You'd have to be armed with flashlights.

sarcasm gets you no where my friend

You know, we've just stumbled into a scope of government conversation. I think a good place to start would be the founding laws that our government is based on. The federal government is involved in way too much of our lives based on the Constitution. These arguments are correctly in the place of the States and it's People. This state and it's people have chosen an extensive government with limits to civil rights. As I said earlier most of the folks in this thread support that size of government and no one is going to win that argument here. The only option is to move to another state.

Examples: Govt maintains roads and mail is a given. Schools and healthcare no so much.

You know, we've just stumbled into a scope of government conversation. I think a good place to start would be the founding laws that our government is based on. The federal government is involved in way too much of our lives based on the Constitution. These arguments are correctly in the place of the States and it's People. This state and it's people have chosen an extensive government with limits to civil rights. As I said earlier most of the folks in this thread support that size of government and no one is going to win that argument here. The only option is to move to another state.

Examples: Govt maintains roads and mail is a given. Schools and healthcare no so much.

What is a good state to go to? They all pay for school, police, and fire as far I understand. We are liberal state, but not sure what you completely get rid of moving, you get more freedom in guns and such.

You know, we've just stumbled into a scope of government conversation. I think a good place to start would be the founding laws that our government is based on. The federal government is involved in way too much of our lives based on the Constitution.

Oh jeez. Not this Hamilton vs Jefferson thing again. I thought Jefferson's Vice President solved this issue.

I say repeal the 16th amendment, and get back to the original Constitution - "No Direct taxation".

My property taxes went up 73.4% last year all bc the county "could read my scanned copy of a utility bill". Gov't is filled with crooks who will shake you down for more cash at every chance they get.

I have great disdain for anyone who supports and promotes these crooks. I will go as far to say, gov't cant solve problems. [smoke]

Reactions: R1776U
I say repeal the 16th amendment, and get back to the original Constitution - "No Direct taxation".

My property taxes went up 73.4% last year all bc the county "could read my scanned copy of a utility bill". Gov't is filled with crooks who will shake you down for more cash at every chance they get.

I have great disdain for anyone who supports and promotes these crooks. I will go as far to say, gov't cant solve problems. [smoke]
Are you complaining they caught you underpaying property tax or that the increase was unjustified?

scientology needs to be outlawed... i know it kinda shifts my thread a little but if you've ever spent any time with a scientology whacko, you'd understand

No possible. Nj constitution required property be assessed on a uniform basis. Also required quality free public education. No way around that. Plus, all the old people now calling for this didn't bring it up while THEIR kids were in school lol. This proposal would cause the financial collapse of the public education system which is fine for me, but I'm a 1%-er, so nothing phases me when it comes to money.

Spot on, and very, very sad. Our elected officials allowed the public sector unions to rape the state with artificially high salaries, insane pensions and lifetime medical benefits. I don't begrudge any public sector employee who receives these perks. However, we're all paying for this which is adversely affecting the quality of life of most taxpayers.

Maybe they can make a new policy for NJ residence that reduces your property tax by any amount up to $1000.00 that matches a donation that you make to Rutgers or to any other NJ school of your choice not funded with property tax money. The donation would also be tax deductible.

I think the idea is the same amount per child can pay for private school. It's a bad idea because running a school is not as linear per child as people think, so only makes sense if you can sell off the public school which no place does.

Garbage is privatized in many places, even some in NJ.

Taxes are a town/country requirement and relocating to a cheaper area is a real option. People around where i live talk all the time about moving once kids are done with school to a cheaper town.
Nowhere cheaper than Paterson.

The only realistic option is to move away from the state dominated by the Left. You're arguing with folks who for the most part vote for the folks who put these policies in. You won't win that argument here. Everyone here has a kid they want you to help pay for or a sister who's a poor underpaid teacher (LOL) or a brother-in-law with a backbreaking (LOL) union job. It's your duty to help support all of these heroes.
This. I vote for my best interests & my family's best interests. My neighbor votes for what would be best for society as a whole. If he voted in his own interests, maybe life would get better for us in the middle.

A legitimate way to save a lot of money on education is to combine school districts. As an example, there's no reason for Middlesex, Green Brook, and Dunellen to require 3 sets of administrators. Less districts means less administrators making 6 figures. I'm guessing NJ could easily get to under 100 and probably under 50 school districts of they wanted to. There are currently 604.

What is a good state to go to? They all pay for school, police, and fire as far I understand. We are liberal state, but not sure what you completely get rid of moving, you get more freedom in guns and such.

Yes but what is it that we have or are funding through property taxes that other states aren't? And if you add up all taxes (sales, property, income, excise, etc) are we on average, high or low? We don't tax gasoline much, but have insanely high property taxes.

Someone brought up the option to regionalize school boards and districts, which makes some sense.

A legitimate way to save a lot of money on education is to combine school districts. As an example, there's no reason for Middlesex, Green Brook, and Dunellen to require 3 sets of administrators. Less districts means less administrators making 6 figures. I'm guessing NJ could easily get to under 100 and probably under 50 school districts of they wanted to. There are currently 604.
Mike, here is the problem with that. I have seen some of the consolidation laws. What would happen would be one County Superintendent picked by Trenton. That person would of course need 20 or so Asst. Supers also picked by the State. You would not lower the number of Principals etc.

In NJ can you imagine the boondoggle this would become. We think the Port Authority is a cesspool Trenton , not local representation, would be making all decisions on those high paying jobs. All you need to look at is other states that have put in County Wide schools.

Reactions: RU22
I think there should be no public transportation....you want to ride it you foot the entire bill, but then again if you choose to drive you pay directly for every road you drive on...why should i pay for the north jersey coast line train or repaving rt 35. Btw all of you downthe shore....build your own dunes.

Sounds simple. But reality is much more complex. Airports get the most federal subsides of all the different types of transportation. So if you fly, you aren't paying the full amount - same with driving or taking a train.

I agree that subsidies are horrible. It's just that they are more embedded than most people realize. [smoke]

Mike, here is the problem with that. I have seen some of the consolidation laws. What would happen would be one County Superintendent picked by Trenton. That person would of course need 20 or so Asst. Supers also picked by the State. You would not lower the number of Principals etc.

In NJ can you imagine the boondoggle this would become. We think the Port Authority is a cesspool Trenton , not local representation, would be making all decisions on those high paying jobs. All you need to look at is other states that have put in County Wide schools.

Why would the administrators be picked by Trenton. Why wouldn't they be picked by school boards elected by voters, just like happens now with regional school districts.

Are you complaining they caught you underpaying property tax or that the increase was unjustified?

I pissed that I have to pay property taxes. They raised my taxes bc they didn't think I lived there. It's called a homestead deduction. Since they raised my taxes, "they can't adjust them to where they are suppose to be." My only option is lawyering up which doesn't make financial sense to do.

So I'm complaining that I got screwed over. [smoke]

Why would the administrators be picked by Trenton. Why wouldn't they be picked by school boards elected by voters, just like happens now with regional school districts.
Here is an example. Monmouth County has very large Vocational HS offering. I think it is up to 7 schools. Does anyone in Monmouth County vote for those BOE members, no, appointed. Does anyone even know who they are? Probably not all of them are hand chosen political hacks. Any idea what their budget is? Etc, Etc.

Also most states that have County Regional School have paid BOE members that are part of the political machine. Some school districts BOE members in NJ are leaning in that direction but they are mostly the larger districts.

make people that have kids pay for their own kids education.. problem solved.. maybe that way more $ can be donated to RU by non alums who are fans that don't have kids?

How about make public schools compete and allow vouchers to send their kids to any schools they want, and make them compete?

Half the parents in Hoboken and Jersey city pay twice because they have to pay public school tax and private school tuition? You think this is fair. I would love your proposal, If I don't send my kids to Public school, I shouldn't have to pay school tax? How about that?

Oh, and what about pubic charter schools in Jersey city get about $10k per pupil and regular public school kids in Jersey City public schools get almost $20k, Is that fair?

The whole thing is one big corrupt mess in New Jersey.

You might want to do a little research on the Freehold Regional High School District. The superintendent (a proud Rutgers grad & football fan) was not appointed by Trenton and oversees Freehold Boro, Freehold Township, Marlboro, Manalapan, Colts Neck & Howell high schools. Hardly a "boondoggle" or a "cesspool "

Reactions: ruhudsonfan
Here is an example. Monmouth County has very large Vocational HS offering. I think it is up to 7 schools. Does anyone in Monmouth County vote for those BOE members, no, appointed. Does anyone even know who they are? Probably not all of them are hand chosen political hacks. Any idea what their budget is? Etc, Etc.

Also most states that have County Regional School have paid BOE members that are part of the political machine. Some school districts BOE members in NJ are leaning in that direction but they are mostly the larger districts.
They seem to run quite well, though.
NJ is rife with political hackery. Look no further than a certain Senator's fixation on loading the RU BOG with hacks.
Or the State Parole Board. Christie tried twice to put this loser from the Ocean County Freeholders on the parole board who had ZERO qualifications. After an uproar, he withdrew his name.
http://www.app.com/search/jack kelly/

I have no idea how Monmouth County BOE members are selected. But even if they are appointed by the county or Trenton, it doesn't have to be that way. Somerset Hills Regional School System serves several towns in Somerset County. The BOE is selected by voters in those towns. The same model could be used by other regional school districts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT