ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern Michigan, FDU, and Columbia

Is this official now as I don't see it listed anywhere. How did you find this out. I heard a rumor of this several weeks ago regarding FDU and Columbia but I never heard anything about Eastern Michigan. I think this is good. We just need to know the other 3 OOC games.

Didn't eastern Michigan beat us in football? Uh oh. Lol
Not the first time a football opponent became a hoops opponent. Including North Carolina. Would love to schedule both Colorado and South Carolina for both football and hoops. Good intersectional battles without surrendering recruiting turf.

Didn't Valvano used to say to stay away from the "directional" schools?

Eastern Michigan last season, according to Sagarin, would have been at season’s end a 2-point underdog to Rutgers on a neutral floor. Worthy, non-cupcake opponent.

EMU returns their 3 highest scorers in 6'10" Thompson who averaged 14.5 ppg and 11 + in rebounds, Minnie a 6'9" forward who got 16.8 ppg and Jackson a 6'2" point guard who averaged 14.9 ppg and 4.7 apg. All three will be seniors. I would think they will not be a cupcake. Their fans think they can win the MAC.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
EMU plays a really tough matchup zone defense. Obviously they don't have the athletes or the talent of Syracuse players but their matchup zone defense is probably second only to Syracuse. The head coach is a former Syracuse assistant.

They will probably be the best zone defense Rutgers will see all season.

Thompson is terrific I REALLY like him. Tough, skilled and has very good size.

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
Old guys like me remember when Eastern Michigan beat Rutgers during our first season in the Big East and Bob Wenzel made a comment after the game along the lines of it being a mistake to schedule them.
Good stuff. Don't remember the game but didn't we lose to Buffalo that year also? For some reason, that game sticks out and it was a road game. Think Geoff Billet was a freshman that year and Hodsgon became active in late December or thereabouts

Old guys like me remember when Eastern Michigan beat Rutgers during our first season in the Big East and Bob Wenzel made a comment after the game along the lines of it being a mistake to schedule them.
Looked it up and we lost 74-71 to E.Michigan on 12/9/95 as the great Earl Boykins was on that squad. I was definitely at the game but dementia and other things cause me to not recall though I do remember Piscataway Mike discussing the game not too long ago. His memory is amazing. During the 95/96 season - our first in the Big East - we lost some other beauties to Buffalo(road game); Wagner (home) and Manhattan (home) and eeked out a 2 point win vs Monmouth. Good memorable Times indeed...)

Reactions: Local Shill
Is this official now as I don't see it listed anywhere. How did you find this out. I heard a rumor of this several weeks ago regarding FDU and Columbia but I never heard anything about Eastern Michigan. I think this is good. We just need to know the other 3 OOC games.
Art - maybe Hartford again?...lol ..and we can watch the great Jason Dunne show for 1 last year....:)

Looked it up and we lost 74-71 to E.Michigan on 12/9/95 as the great Earl Boykins was on that squad. I was definitely at the game but dementia and other things cause me to not recall though I do remember Piscataway Mike discussing the game not too long ago. His memory is amazing. During the 95/96 season - our first in the Big East - we lost some other beauties to Buffalo(road game); Wagner (home) and Manhattan (home) and eeked out a 2 point win vs Monmouth. Good memorable Times indeed...)

Correct....this was our first year in the big east and we went 3-6 out of confrence and bob looked like he was going to get canned .

Then rob became eligible, geoff was Geoff and got some help as Damon Santiago played amazing hoops in the last 15 games and we actually went 6-12 in the big east ...and looked pretty competitive most nights and got bob a reprieve for a year

That was probably Gary Waters last season as an assistant coach at EMU. I think he got the Kent State HC job at the end of that season.

Rutgers is the only Power 5 team to ever lose to EMU in football. Let's hope we return the favor in basketball, where we actually have the right coach to take us to the promised land.

Rutgers is the only Power 5 team to ever lose to EMU in football. Let's hope we return the favor in basketball, where we actually have the right coach to take us to the promised land.
EMU has some talent and it's a veteran team. Plus RU probably won't see that defense before they play EMU. They are a challenge to prepare for.

Hopefully record can get them on a quick turnaround or maybe be Eastern Michigan's third game in five days.

Not the first time a football opponent became a hoops opponent. Including North Carolina. Would love to schedule both Colorado and South Carolina for both football and hoops. Good intersectional battles without surrendering recruiting turf.
I would love a road game against USCe in Columbia. 2 hour drive for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT