ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Post Game

MCKnight2004

Senior
Oct 25, 2012
Watched the presser, looks and sounds defeated, obviously...didn't really give any positive outlook for recruits and being better next season. Hopefully this isn't his tone and message on the recruiting trail.

I love Edde and he bleeds scarlet through and through. But if there isn't even a glimmer of hope for anything by Year 4, he is going to have to take a settlement and let someone else give it a try. I would applaud the effort, but this program is teetering on rock bottom.

Take a look in the mirror, Eddie. Then ask yourself what Mike O'Koren brings to a college basketball program. Why did you waste the top spot on your staff on a guy with no recruiting juice or no college experience. Lewis is the only kid on the roster that grew as a player during the season.

Is Mike O'Koren in the top 10 reasons why this team was so terrible this season ? I'd say no.

This season reminds me of Waters 4th year when the team went 10-19 (2-14) in the BE. Although he turned it around the following season he was rewarded with Freddie Hill as his assistant after year 4 and the handwriting was on the wall for GW as a guy on his way out at RU.

They need to press more next year. Need more than 3 guards. Get points that way. Trimble was also 3-13. Carino gave credit to Myles for that in paper.

Originally posted by Knightmoves:
Is Mike O'Koren in the top 10 reasons why this team was so terrible this season ? I'd say no.

This season reminds me of Waters 4th year when the team went 10-19 (2-14) in the BE. Although he turned it around the following season he was rewarded with Freddie Hill as his assistant after year 4 and the handwriting was on the wall for GW as a guy on his way out at RU.
Eddie not using staff is pretty high up there.

Watching Eddie after the game, I think he feels the rebuilding job might be even harder than he thought. Does he have the will to stick it out, or does all the circumstances working against the basketball program give him the feeling it's hopeless?

Originally posted by mikefla:
Why wouldnt he sound defeated, the team quit on him...Kadeem Jack is a joke and Mack is going 3-10....
Half of your posts are focused on individually denigrating our players. YOU are the joke.

Jack has had ups & downs but he certainly deserves better than the likes of you. 16 rebounds vs a top 10 team. 18 points 11 boards in his last game vs a strong Purdue squad.

Originally posted by Exit117:
Watching Eddie after the game, I think he feels the rebuilding job might be even harder than he thought. Does he have the will to stick it out, or does all the circumstances working against the basketball program give him the feeling it's hopeless?
That is an answer you better find out soon. If it is felt he doesn't possess it, going down the road 3 more years is an enormous waste of time and money.

Knightmoves -- What do you expect to get our of your lead assistant when you have limited talent on your roster? How about recruiting, recruiting, recruiting, and teaching? What background or expertise did O'Koren bring to RU? A life in the NBA and playing for UNC a long, long time ago. What AAU or prep programs did he have connections with? When did he ever have to connect with the parents of a kid? How much time had he spent coaching 18-19 year olds on basketball fundamentals? Jordan's hiring decisions will be his downfall far more than the lack of a practice court.

Van Macon is trying...O'Koren just sits there.

Each player when coming off the court should know that some coach (assistant or head) will have something good or bad to say. We are just totally wasting a bench spot with someone occupying a chair and not actively using it to provide individual instruction.

Originally posted by 78CollegeAve:
Take a look in the mirror, Eddie. Then ask yourself what Mike O'Koren brings to a college basketball program. Why did you waste the top spot on your staff on a guy with no recruiting juice or no college experience. Lewis is the only kid on the roster that grew as a player during the season.
O'Koren needs to be removed from the staff before next season. Guy played pro basketball decades away, has zero recruiting cache or connections. That is not the kind of hire you make to bolster a college basketball staff. It simply was a terrible hire and while it may not have detracted anything from the team, it certainly did nothing to ADD to it either.

Yes it is quite clear that one of our biggest problems is an assistant coach

rolleyes.r191677.gif

(that's me rolling my eyes)

If EJ quits at the end of this year I absolutely promise you that things will get alot worse with this program.

And I'm pretty sure that O'Koren was responsible for a lot of Lewis' improvement this year.

Can anyone tell me unless you have been to every practice and witnessed first hand what goes on how you can possibly say an assistant isn't doing his job (aside from analyzing his body habitus on the bench during games which IMHO is not a valid way to evaluate someone)

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
And I'm pretty sure that O'Koren was responsible for a lot of Lewis' improvement this year.
PhilaFans,

great point about O'Koren and Lewis. But this thread about searching for the guilty among Eddie's staff. Funny but I thought that Van Macon was an experienced recruiter and that's what Shoes also brought to the table. Someone on the staff needs to teach basketball development skills to the players in practice. Maybe that's what O'Korens role was ?

Originally posted by seels2662:
If EJ quits at the end of this year I absolutely promise you that things will get alot worse with this program.
what if Bobby Hurley Jr or Tim Cluess took over? Agree to disagree

Originally posted by Knightmoves:

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
PhilaFans,

great point about O'Koren and Lewis. But this thread about searching for the guilty among Eddie's staff.
FIND SOMEONE TO BLAME!!! Its the American way!

If you want to play the blame game, here's who we have to thank for our situation

Kevin Bannon
Gary Waters
Fred Hill
Mike Rice

EJ? ....to be determined.

Originally posted by PatrickRU92:
Can anyone tell me unless you have been to every practice and witnessed first hand what goes on how you can possibly say an assistant isn't doing his job (aside from analyzing his body habitus on the bench during games which IMHO is not a valid way to evaluate someone)
Watching interactions with players and individualized coaching. It happens on the opposing bench and not ours.

Also add the fact that no one is whispering in his ear or giving him a different opinion about substiutions.

There is no way a collection of humans could get substiutions as wrong as we have seen. Looking at last night Mike Williams getting a 2nd half DNP has to be the worst snub I have EVER seen. This is one man making decision without the consultation of someone else. This is a team being managed with no preparation or thought, it is if he forgets to substitute.

FIND SOMEONE TO BLAME!!! Its the American way!

If you want to play the blame game, here's who we have to thank for our situation

Kevin Bannon
Gary Waters
Fred Hill
Mike Rice

EJ? ....to be determined.
naked foul shots, Bob Mulcahy, Fred Hill, Eric Murdock

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:
Watching interactions with players and individualized coaching. It happens on the opposing bench and not ours.

Also add the fact that no one is whispering in his ear or giving him a different opinion about substiutions.

There is no way a collection of humans could get substiutions as wrong as we have seen. Looking at last night Mike Williams getting a 2nd half DNP has to be the worst snub I have EVER seen. This is one man making decision without the consultation of someone else. This is a team being managed with no preparation or thought, it is if he forgets to substitute.
I mean this in a very nice manner, but you need to stop acting like you know more than an NBA coach because you coach a youth league. You don't.

In addition, you constantly bang the drum for substitutions and I agree to a point but I also never see you anywhere in a thread when posters point out that is often when the games have runaway from us. When we bring in our backups and a 7 point deficit goes to 12 in a manner of 2 minutes. There is a reason why EJ didn't sub much.

Originally posted by ruman:

You will have to set the bar much lower than that.

This post was edited on 3/4 1:15 PM by seels2662

As for substiutions, I have brought it up all year and in the preseason. I even created a thread 2 weeks ago outlining exactly what could/would happen yesterday.

As for acting like I know more than Eddie...i don't need to act. Give me this team in March 2014 and allow me to hire a few assistant coaches and this team would be much better. It would have almost nothing to do with my knowledge of basketball. I would run the team like a CEO, delegating responsibilities to others, and creating a culture with expectations and accountability. The recruiting is a different story...I'd be lost and have ZERO interest.

Ask Myles Mack and Kadeem Jack is Jordan let them down. Ask them if they wished he pushed them more. Ask them if they wished Mike Rice coached them for all 4 years.

As for acting like I know more than Eddie...i don't need to act. Give me this team in March 2014 and allow me to hire a few assistant coaches and this team would be much better.
Then hand in your resume to Julie Herman and get paid good money to do it. I have an insanely high football IQ and I love to evaluate football prospects. I am also not very impressed with Flood, that being said I know he would run coaching circles around me. You lose all credibility with a comment like that.

Mike Williams should be a starter next year and Daniels as a 6th man.

Why? Mike Williams is part of this under class who will eventually be the hope of Rutgers in the next 3 years. He plays defense and people must give more effort behind him. He needs to be the model to follow. Also, Daniels is dribbling too much and is turning the ball over. Williams has the best handle on the team.

Also, one funny way to get a recruit to maybe come here? Sounds crazy but have new socks and new shoes. If you can't beat em, join em. At this point we're that desperate. Most of us don't understand the craze behind the shoe/sock/uniform hype, but these kids enjoy it. Maryland last night looked spiffy.

Fig, if you have experience talk to BK. See if he can get you in. We would love to have someone that can help turn this around.

Originally posted by RUskoolie:

As for acting like I know more than Eddie...i don't need to act. Give me this team in March 2014 and allow me to hire a few assistant coaches and this team would be much better.
Then hand in your resume to Julie Herman and get paid good money to do it. I have an insanely high football IQ and I love to evaluate football prospects. I am also not very impressed with Flood, that being said I know he would run coaching circles around me. You lose all credibility with a comment like that.
I'll keep my day job thanks. Tons more job security, I have a state of the art practice facility (YMCA) across the street and I wouldn't be allowed to post on the message board.

A lot of us on this board know a thing or two about basketball. Whether we could get through to 19-22 on a daily basis is something else. Nonetheless, if anyone has any experience coaching, what is stopping you from going to the next level?

Go do it. Let's stop trying to prove to each other on here that we know something. Doesn't do anything saying anything on a message board.

Hurley Jr makes $250K and Buffalo has a practice facility. He has 20 wins already and a possible NCAA berth so he's due for another pay raise when schools start calling his agent. He's a big name because of his Duke playing career.

I don't think Hurley would risk his career at Rutgers, the same way Danny chose not to.

This post was edited on 3/4 3:58 PM by Aggs

Exactly, Lewis looks better this year. Does O'Koren get credit for that?

He makes 250k -- Eddie makes 1.1 million.

He might not take the job, but I certainly would ask.

But unless Eddie walks, this wont happen this year

He makes 250k -- Eddie makes 1.1 million.

He might not take the job, but I certainly would ask.

But unless Eddie walks, this wont happen this year
I think he's good enough where he can take a job where the school is in a financial position to succeed. Rutgers is not.

Of course I would ask, and then ask, and ask, and ask again!

But you could make the argument he has more tools to succeed at Buffalo than at Rutgers.
This post was edited on 3/4 4:42 PM by Aggs

Shields -- sure, let's give O'Koren all of the credit for Lewis' improved play over the course of the season. Then I presume that you will also give him all the credit for Foreman's inability to master some basic skills and team play, unlike countless freshmen in other programs. And I guess we'll punt of who on the staff was responsible for managing Kadeem-world. Doorson, what, treaded water? Maybe next year he'll be in shape to begin the season. It's hard to show more than brief flashes when you're pooped after a couple of loops of the court. With the right instructional staf he could be pretty good by his junior year, huh?

78, are you always this unhappy? I am 53 and have seen RU since 1975. I have not seen one practice this year. I don't know what goes on. Watching PSU game they mention a PSU sophomore who has improved a lot from freshman year. Can we see what happens with Foreman and Williams next year? I said this before, John Battle as a frosh I hardly knew he was on team. Sophomore year he started to develop. Not picking a fight because I am trying to be positive. I hope next year maybe team can press more, need more than 3 guards. Foreman needs to get in weight room also.
This post was edited on 3/4 7:41 PM by shields

Originally posted by bac2therac:

of anyone out there right now, I would take Bobby Hurley
Come on man. You know that RU will ride Eddie at least two more years so they don't have to pay much in the way of severance if they decide to can him. He's currently no worse than Waters was in GW's year four. What evidence exists to make you think that Barchi/Herman have a burning desire to win now in MBB ? They appear to be happy to be in the B1G but still want to minimize Athletic Dept costs. That's what is driving the bus right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT