ADVERTISEMENT

End of Divisions Not a Done Deal

That fluky Purdue showed more fight and played a better game than the Buckeyes did in the previous week.
Yea but that’s one game anything can happen in any game. OSU beat B10 west teams Iowa and Wisconsin soundly while Purdue lost to them. It’s not one game here or there, it’s the whole season body of work. If things are even for the most part then you can go down to splitting hairs about individual games etc…

It’s a done deal. There won’t be divisions. Let’s worry more about our football program in general because if our esteemed HC can’t recruit athletes and evolve himself to todays game then it don’t matter whether there are divisions or not because we ll get our ass kicked regardless of who we play.
This.
His unwillingness to bend and his authoritarian style will be his undoing as a B1G HC.
Pat and Company need to start the search now.

Michigan 9-0, OSU 8-1, PSU 7-2, Purdue 6-3…that’s why they’re less deserving. They’re not ranked either. If they had the conference record and ranking to justify taking a playoff spot from another conference mate then no problems but they don’t.
Yes, but OSU and PSU didn't play the same schedules as Purdue. That's the point of divisions - you play the same schedules as everyone else in the division and the team with the best record is the "winner." I couldn't care less about rankings; that's just sports writers jerking off.

Reactions: robcac26
Yes, but OSU and PSU didn't play the same schedules as Purdue. That's the point of divisions - you play the same schedules as everyone else in the division and the team with the best record is the "winner." I couldn't care less about rankings; that's just sports writers jerking off.
I’m talking about CFP rankings because that’s what will determine playoff spots. People may not like the committee but at least they actually watch the games and put some effort into it, more than most of these other rankings.

Michigan, OSU and PSU likely had a harder SOS and still had better records. I’m one of the biggest advocates for lower status teams getting opportunity in the playoffs but you have to at least have a resume arguably deserving of it. 8-4 and unranked isn’t that and you’d be taking a spot from a likely more deserving conference mate. For any conference as a whole, it’s better that the teams who had the best seasons have the opportunity for a playoff spot.

I’m talking about CFP rankings because that’s what will determine playoff spots. People may not like the committee but at least they actually watch the games and put some effort into it, more than most of these other rankings.

Michigan, OSU and PSU likely had a harder SOS and still had better records. I’m one of the biggest advocates for lower status teams getting opportunity in the playoffs but you have to at least have a resume arguably deserving of it. 8-4 and unranked isn’t that and you’d be taking a spot from a likely more deserving conference mate. For any conference as a whole, it’s better that the teams who had the best seasons have the opportunity for a playoff spot.
But Purdue didn't "have an opportunity for a playoff spot" ... Purdue could have won by 30 last night and they weren't getting a playoff spot. Same as Utah, same as Kansas State, same as LSU. These conference championship games were not play-in games. Hell, they couldn't even get you knocked out of the playoffs (as TCU proved).

But Purdue didn't "have an opportunity for a playoff spot" ... Purdue could have won by 30 last night and they weren't getting a playoff spot. Same as Utah, same as Kansas State, same as LSU. These conference championship games were not play-in games. Hell, they couldn't even get you knocked out of the playoffs (as TCU proved).
I’m not talking about yesterday.
I’m talking about for the future. That’s why these conferences are doing away with divisions. The champ game will be for a playoff spot and they don’t want an unranked and worse conference record 8-4 type Purdue team taking a spot from a more deserving conference mate on a fluke win in a champ game.

I’m not talking about yesterday.
I’m talking about for the future. That’s why these conferences are doing away with divisions. The champ game will be for a playoff spot and they don’t want an unranked and worse conference record 8-4 type Purdue team taking a spot from a more deserving conference mate on a fluke win in a champ game.
But they won't be for a playoff spot, as Utah and Kansas State just proved. They should be (imho), but they won't be. Personally, I think the playoffs should be the five conference winners (as determined by the conference), any undefeated teams (non Power 5) and then 0 to 3 at large teams. But they don't really care about my opinion.

But they won't be for a playoff spot, as Utah and Kansas State just proved. They should be (imho), but they won't be. Personally, I think the playoffs should be the five conference winners (as determined by the conference), any undefeated teams (non Power 5) and then 0 to 3 at large teams. But they don't really care about my opinion.
What do you mean they won’t be for a playoff spots? They will be in the future in a 12 team playoff. Utah would’ve gotten a top 4 seed and a bye and KSU would be in. TCU and USC would’ve made it well but they would’ve lost their byes they had going into the weekend.

Last edited:
Current system: we need to finish ahead of 6 teams (including OSU, UM and PSU) to make CCG

Future system: we need to finish ahead of 14 teams (including OSU, UM PSU, Wisconsin, USC, UCLA, Minnesota)

How exactly is this better?
We are playing for the Pinstripe Bowl. Never heard of this CCG, what is that?

Reactions: RU at the shore
It won’t be his undoing because most fans think he’s the best coach for Rutgers. And this blind idiocy is why we will be a 4 win bottom-feeder until at least 2 years after he’s gone.

Last edited:
It won’t be his undoing because most fans think he’s the best coach for Rutgers. And this blind idiocy is why we will be a 4 win bottom-feeder until at least 2 years after he’s gone.
That’s part of the Rutgers Football problem..blind loyalty to a HC who clearly is not a B1G HC.
The next HC hire will be huge and will determine where we go.

What do you mean they won’t be for a playoff spots? They will be in the future in a 12 team playoff. Utah would’ve gotten a top 4 seed and a bye and KSU would be in. TCU and USC would’ve made it well but they would’ve lost their byes they had going into the weekend.
I meant that they won't be this year.

I meant that they won't be this year.
Well of course not this year but these conferences are scrapping divisions not for the present but for the future. They have an eye on the 12 team playoffs and trying to ensure that the teams in their conferences with best seasons have the best shot to get in.

Well of course not this year but these conferences are scrapping divisions not for the present but for the future. They have an eye on the 12 team playoffs and trying to ensure that the teams in their conferences with best seasons have the best shot to get in.
It's going to be a delight watching Michigan and Ohio State playing back-to-back weeks every year to end the season. *Fart Noise*

Ok so you acknowledge the issue of having teams play different schedules in conference, but you want to further magnify that problem by making the variation potentially as high as 67% by scrapping divisions?
I just provided facts that didn’t fall in line with your claim of divisions being the only place to compare.

This season provided a real life example of how bad these unbalanced divisions are. The bad part was it was pretty obvious from the beginning.

With the CFP committee placing so much importance to conference champs in the future format, it would behoove a conference to have its winner be very successful. What happened this year allowed for that possibly being a 4-loss team.

A lot of us want divisions to go away. The current setup is terrible for us because we have to play Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State every year. But will divisions be abandoned? The situation has changed now that USC and UCLA are joining. Those teams are not going to want to travel three time zones to the East Coast more than maybe once a year. Will the Big Ten do anything to accommodate them? Maybe -- the Big Ten wanted those schools so much that it's giving them full revenue right away. So we should take Warren at his word in saying the schools will discuss the topic in the spring.

As I stated, who cares if it’s those 3 or a different 3. Or any 9. We ain’t winning 2 of any 9 with this coach. Cherry pick 9 conference games this year and youd still have the same win total. Northwestern ? Would you bet on that ? Bottom is bottom. Do you all forget who Northwestern’s only conference win was against in 2021 ? And it wasn’t a close game. Go ahead, dispute any of the above. Find conference wins with or without divisions.

Divisions aren’t the reason we’re a lowly B10 and P5 program. This head coach is the reason, as well as the decision process which led to that awful hire.

It’s pathetic and misguided to think the conference should help the programs that can’t swim on their own. Rutgers created its own rotted program in this league by hiring a bad coach it can’t even afford to fire.

Last edited:
I just provided facts that didn’t fall in line with your claim of divisions being the only place to compare.

This season provided a real life example of how bad these unbalanced divisions are. The bad part was it was pretty obvious from the beginning.

With the CFP committee placing so much importance to conference champs in the future format, it would behoove a conference to have its winner be very successful. What happened this year allowed for that possibly being a 4-loss team.
I feel like we are each having different debates. Divisions are the only place where teams are compared with MOSTLY the same schedule. It's not perfect because of the crossover games, so ideally either they would eliminate crossover games or don't have them count for conference standings. The rest of your post is about the divisions being unbalanced, which I've been saying this whole time should be addressed by rebalancing them. Scrapping them just exacerbates the problem that we both pointed out, which is that it doesn't make much sense to compare win and loss records of teams that play different schedules. You provided a great example of how a 33% variation in the schedule can skew the standings. Now imagine you get rid of divisions and you have one team playing a conference schedule that is 67% different than another team's conference schedule. That doesn't fix the problem, it makes it worse.

Reactions: retired711
They'd only have to move Purdue to the East if they kept divisions. There's already 7 teams in each division so if the East added Purdue, they'd have 8 teams and the West would have 6 teams plus USC/UCLA moving in. I think Warren ends divisions though so it's a moot point.
This is the easiest solution
Move Purdue to the east , add the newcomers to the west and a seamless and less disruptive expansion
No worries about further damaging established rivalries

This is just an acknowledgement that is isn't official yet. But they have to end these divisions. To keep it, you'd have to move Purdue and one other team to the East so that USC and UCLA could be in the West. While that would improve the overall quality of the west, you're still stuck with a lot of competitive imbalance.

Once they are one big division, what I hope they do is create schedules for each team based on competitive balance the way they do in the NFL. And when they match us up against ACC or Pac 10 teams, let the bottom feeders play each other and the top teams play each other. This is pretty much how these basketball "challenge" tournaments work.
Man you think they are gonna give us a schedule break, we will see Michigan,State Penn and Ohio State every year and the will probably replace Indiana with USC or UCLA. Those are the 2 teams that will get a break, think they won't help to ensure that the West Coast teams make a bowl in 24,25 and 26. Its about the $$$.

Man you think they are gonna give us a schedule break, we will see Michigan,State Penn and Ohio State every year and the will probably replace Indiana with USC or UCLA. Those are the 2 teams that will get a break, think they won't help to ensure that the West Coast teams make a bowl in 24,25 and 26. Its about the $$$.
Agree. What some people fail to grasp is that the B1G doesn't care if the teams in its two biggest markets, not including LA yet, are competitive, let alone successful. The B1G let Northwestern flounder for decades and didn't lift a hand to help them, they only wanted access to the Chicago market, not a winner in Chicago. Same deal for us, the B1G doesn't care if we go 1-8 in the conference for all eternity, as long as they have access to the NY market. Therefore, we will not get a scheduling break no matter what the conference format. The West Coast teams will want access to the NY market, our schedule will not get any easier even if they get rid of the divisions.

Lame Lou…so, have the better teams play harder schedules. And we play weaker schedules because we can’t compete fair and square ? And on top of that we get to play the weakest OOC too ? Pathetic.

On top of all that, maybe give us an auto +8?win credit so we finish near the top of the conference every year. Does that work for you ?
As is, Rutgers and Maryland, despite having teams that would consistently beat 1/2 the teams playing in bowl games, have empty stadiums. Yes, my proposal would help ensure better records and better attendance for the bottom half of the league. As you are aware, this is all about money. That's why the NFL does this.

As is, Rutgers and Maryland, despite having teams that would consistently beat 1/2 the teams playing in bowl games, have empty stadiums. Yes, my proposal would help ensure better records and better attendance for the bottom half of the league. As you are aware, this is all about money. That's why the NFL does this.
Did you really mean to say that Rutgers "would consistently beat 1/2 the teams playing in bowl games?" I find that difficult to believe.

The NFL has a draft and owners spending billions to buy (and hundred plus millionevery year), because of the opportunity to win. Other pro leagues too.

You, however, want pity and a bailout for our own shit program decisions. And you want the programs that built success over decades of good decisions to give up their earned advantage. One of the lamest opinions I’ve ever seen here.

Send a note to the big10 asking for a trophy for something so you don’t feel left out of winning ok ?

The NFL has a draft and owners spending billions to buy (and hundred plus millionevery year), because of the opportunity to win. Other pro leagues too.

You, however, want pity and a bailout for our own shit program decisions. And you want the programs that built success over decades of good decisions to give up their earned advantage. One of the lamest opinions I’ve ever seen here.

Send a note to the big10 asking for a trophy for something so you don’t feel left out of winning ok ?
I understand and respect your POV on this. But this is all about money now. It is to the advantage of the conference to prop up teams that are struggling and keep all stadiums full.

You have to be kidding, right? You know who runs the B1G, you are a smart guy based on your posts, you know the history and you know the chances of any of the powers in charge even considering that type of proposal. This isn't the NFL, this is a conference whose main objective is to see that Michigan and OSU win football games, period, and if that ever stopped being the case, they would realign the conference in a nano second. The rest of the participants are necessary foils. That is why many Penn State fans hate the conference and why USC fans over time are in for a rude awakening.

You have to be kidding, right? You know who runs the B1G, you are a smart guy based on your posts, you know the history and you know the chances of any of the powers in charge even considering that type of proposal. This isn't the NFL, this is a conference whose main objective is to see that Michigan and OSU win football games, period, and if that ever stopped being the case, they would realign the conference in a nano second. The rest of the participants are necessary foils. That is why many Penn State fans hate the conference and why USC fans over time are in for a rude awakening.
They can re-align the conference every year, nothing is going to stop USC from being a powerhouse if it is allowed to spend money to buy players. It has a bigger pool of donors than Michigan and Ohio State. It probably has the biggest pool of donors in the country, with the possible exception of Texas.

What you are saying is fair. But they did put OSU and UM in the same division as Penn State. So they literally split geographically by east and west (Purdue is slightly more west than U of Indiana) rather than have shenanigans to give those teams a more competitive advantage.

Take a look at the bowl schedule and draw your own conclusion.
Teams in bowl games have to have at least a .500 record.. Of the four teams that Rutgers beat, all had losing records. None won over four games. So I am surprised, to say the least, that you believe that our team would "consistently beat 1/2 the teams playing in bowl games."

#1. I think Lou is denial about a lot of things.

#2. He thinks it's fair and makes sense for the conference to have pity on us and give us the weakest conference opponents every year.

#3. "Consistently beat half the teams" makes absolutely no sense, nevermind what he was trying to say, which is wrong but not logically nonsensical.

#1. I think Lou is denial about a lot of things.

#2. He thinks it's fair and makes sense for the conference to have pity on us and give us the weakest conference opponents every year.

#3. "Consistently beat half the teams" makes absolutely no sense, nevermind what he was trying to say, which is wrong but not logically nonsensical.
Bottom line, don't look for the B1G to give us any help out of this mess, we have to dig ourselves out of this hole.

Some of you are exaggerating what opponents of divisions want. It's reasonable not to want to have to play all three of Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State every year. That isn't asking "for the weakest conference opponents every year." Rather, it's just asking not to have the worst possible schedule. Probably Indiana, Maryland, and Michigan State would also like some relief. My uninformed guess is that divisions will stay because of the need to avoid a lot of long trips east for UCLA and USC but that teams won't have to play every team in their division every year. Or perhaps we will have four divisions of four teams, with better balance among the divisions, with each division rotating in opponents from other divisions. There are a lot of creative ways to address problems like this.

I wanted to add that often east-west divisions are not based strictly on geography. Baseball fans will remember that when there were only two divisions in the National League, Atlanta and Cincinnati were in the West, although Chicago and St. Louis were in the East. I am so ancient and decrepit that I remember the 1958 Baltimore Colts/New York Giants sudden-death playoff that did so much to put the NFL on the map. Baltimore was, believe it or not, part of the Western division, although there were teams west of it (for instance, Cleveland and Detroit) in the Eastern division. It was difficult to explain to my mother why Baltimore was in the West, but presumably it was for competitive balance. But I must say that it was a little hard for me to learn later where Baltimore was.

Reactions: NickRU714
I wanted to add that often east-west divisions are not based strictly on geography. Baseball fans will remember that when there were only two divisions in the National League, Atlanta and Cincinnati were in the West, although Chicago and St. Louis were in the East. I am so ancient and decrepit that I remember the 1958 Baltimore Colts/New York Giants sudden-death playoff that did so much to put the NFL on the map. Baltimore was, believe it or not, part of the Western division, although there were teams west of it (for instance, Cleveland and Detroit) in the Eastern division. It was difficult to explain to my mother why Baltimore was in the West, but presumably it was for competitive balance. But I must say that it was a little hard for me to learn later where Baltimore was.

Good points.

The current leaders of the NBA Western Conference - Southwest Division are:
New Orleans Pelicans and Memphis Grizzlies.

The only actual team in the South Western area of the country is Phoenix - currently leading the Pacific Division.

BTW, my recollection -- I'm probably wrong -- is that as of 1958, the NFL East consisted of the New York Giants, the Philadelphia Eagles, the Washington Redskins, the Cleveland Browns, the Detroit Lions, and the Chicago Cardinals (soon to move to St. Louis). The West was the Baltimore Colts, the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Chicago Bears, the Green Bay Packers, the San Francisco 49ers, and the Los Angeles Rams. Shortly after that, the Minnesota Vikings and the Dallas Cowboys entered as expansion teams.

The AFL was also geographically odd, altough not as much. When the league began in 1960, the East had the Boston Patriots, the New York Titans, the Buffalo Bills and the Houston Oilers. The West had the Los Angeles Chargers (yes, the Chargers started there, and now they're back!), the Dallas Texans (who the Cowboys ran out of town and became the Kansas City Chiefs), the Oakland Raiders, and the Denver Broncos. Believe it or not, I'm old enough to remember all this. In my view, the AFL succeeded because there was lots of scoring in its games, and people like scoring.

I'm sure I'm misquoting, but Barron Hilton (son of Conrad Hilton, founder of the hotel chain) was once introduced as "the man who made a million dollars bringing baseball to San Diego!" He rose and said, "Thank you! But it wasn't baseball, it was football; it wasn't San Diego, it was Los Angeles; it wasn't a million dollars, but ten million dollars. And I didn't make it -- I lost it!" Still, Hilton later said that his six years owning the Chargers were the best six years of his life. Paris Hilton, btw, is his granddaughter.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT