ADVERTISEMENT

Enjoyable Article - How Rutgers Crashed the Big Ten

Can someone give us the readers digest version so we don't have to give any money to NJ.com?

Nice to see positive press for Tim Pernetti. The guy bled Scarlet as much as anyone you can name and it was so sad to see RU throw him under the bus when lawyers (not Tim) decided Mike Rice would not be fired.

We aren't in the Big 10 without Tim. It's that simple.

Nice to see positive press for Tim Pernetti. The guy bled Scarlet as much as anyone you can name and it was so sad to see RU throw him under the bus when lawyers (not Tim) decided Mike Rice would not be fired.

You can add Greg Schiano, Jim Delany, and Joe Paterno to that list.
Not to mention Ed Bloustein (for pushing RU into the AAU).

Also - nice to see acknowledgment / confirmation (in print) of the Rutgers - B1G contacts way back in 1991.

The article spelled it out plainly. It was the essentially the market, not stadium expansion or recent performance that got us in.

Smith commenting the location was perfect and Delany saying none of the facilities were considered or discussed during the run-up to expansion.

The article spelled it out plainly. It was the essentially the market, not stadium expansion or recent performance that got us in.

Smith commenting the location was perfect and Delany saying none of the facilities were considered or discussed during the run-up to expansion.
But...

Recent performance helped to assuage concerns and fears of adding RU.
And recent performance played a big part in the "Rutgers being part of every one of the Top-10 NY Market TV ratings" item that was featured as part of Rutgers' sales pitch to the B1G.

But...

Recent performance helped to assuage concerns and fears of adding RU.
And recent performance played a big part in the "Rutgers being part of every one of the Top-10 NY Market TV ratings" item that was featured as part of Rutgers' sales pitch to the B1G.
Well we sit in the NYC market, that's the point. Hard for teams outside of the market to get better ratings than us in the NYC market. We're not the best performing B10 team but in the same fashion I wouldn't be surprised if we're again involved with the highest rated B10 games in NYC. It's hard to beat a team in ratings in their own home market and luckily ours happens to be the most coveted.

There are mentions of AAU mattering and being a large land grant university fitting the profile but one thing overrides it all...the market.

IMO 95% or more of the reason we're in the B10 is because of our market. It's why, while never considering it a guarantee, I always felt we'd be in the conference before their new tv deal came up despite the hysteria on the board with every defection. If anything I'd put geographic partners for PSU as higher up on the list than performance or facilities. I've mentioned Athletic articles that reference that specifically, not facilities or performance. We have to be grateful we sit where we do.

From the article:

Plus, perhaps most of all, Smith added this: "The location was perfect."

It was not the recent success of the football team that mattered to the Big Ten, although it certainly helped ease concerns. It was not the $100-million expansion of SHI Stadium, either, that made Rutgers a possible candidate-none of the facilities, in fact, "were considered or discussed during the run-up to expansion," Delany said.

But, above all else, Rutgers was on the Big Ten's short list of expansion candidates for one reason. It was the market.

Last edited:
Well we sit in the NYC market, that's the point. Hard for teams outside of the market to get better ratings than us in the NYC market. We're not the best performing B10 team but in the same fashion I wouldn't be surprised if we're again involved with the highest rated B10 games in NYC. It's hard to beat a team in ratings in their own home market and luckily ours happens to be the most coveted.

There are mentions of AAU mattering and being a large land grant university fitting the profile but one thing overrides it all...the market.

IMO 95% or more of the reason we're in the B10 is because of our market. It's why, while never considering it a guarantee, I always felt we'd be in the conference before their new tv deal came up despite the hysteria on the board with every defection. If anything I'd put geographic partners for PSU as higher up on the list than performance or facilities. I've mentioned Athletic articles that reference that specifically, not facilities or performance. We have to be grateful we sit where we do.

From the article:

Plus, perhaps most of all, Smith added this: "The location was perfect."

It was not the recent success of the football tam that mattered to the Big Ten, although it certainly helped ease concerns. It was not the $100-million expansion of SHI Stadium, either, that made Rutgers a possible candidate-none of the facilities, in fact, "were considered or discussed during the run-up to expansion," Delany said.

But, above all else, Rutgers was on the Big Ten's short list of expansion candidates for one reason. It was the market.
Agreed.
But all those other things, while not as important as market, could easily have disqualified RU from being considered - at the time. Everything had to come together to make this happen. And it did.

I've said it often Pernetti worked tirelessly to get into the BIG .Typical uninformed fans attack him when he deserves thank yous.

@Scarlet16E is right.

Lots of moving parts.

This was a marathon relay. There were many baton holders (figuratively and literally). The same can be said for the anchor leg.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
ND joining the ACC and choosing to stay FB independent seems to have kick started the MD and RU invites

Think @bac2therac owes Tim an apology.

The article is a bit of redemption for Tim Pernetti who worked tirelessly to get Rutgers into the Big Ten only to get fired for PR reasons due to tons of negative press by NJ.com for taking bad advise from a lawyer .

Reactions: AdventureHasAName
I've said it often Pernetti worked tirelessly to get into the BIG .Typical uninformed fans attack him when he deserves thank yous.
I can attest to this personally.
Delany wanted us in 100% and did his damnedest to make it so. He knew it was only a matter of time though when expansion kicked off because it is such a win/win.

Agreed.
But all those other things, while not as important as market, could easily have disqualified RU from being considered - at the time. Everything had to come together to make this happen. And it did.
Agreed. Up until around 2005 Syracuse was NYC’s team. We displaced them. Hell even BC was more NY ‘s team than RU before 2005. Recent success had everything to do with us getting in the BIG and becoming a factor in the NYC market. That’s a fact.

Pretty good article. It describes the work that Pernetti and his team did to maintain communications with Delany, as well as showing the benefit of Pernetti's experience in media management in showing the value of Rutgers. Helps to diffuse the ridiculous narrative that "all Tim did was answer the phone".

I do think the article played up the drama a bit. It was less a question of IF Rutgers would be invited to the Big Ten, and more a question of WHEN. After Nebraska was invited, Rutgers was always seen as next man up. That's why when news leaked about Maryland's impending invitation, everyone correctly assumed that Rutgers would join with Maryland. (In fact, if Nebraska hadn't decided to leave the B12, Rutgers likely would have been the 12th member of the Big Ten.)

I also think the article should have mentioned the importance of the 2006 football season, especially the uproar over limited broadcast rights for the Texas Bowl in which Rutgers and its fanbase brought the NFL and major NY Market cable companies to their knees. That showed that Rutgers could generate BTN carriage fees.

But otherwise, a fairly good summary of the events.

Pretty good article. It describes the work that Pernetti and his team did to maintain communications with Delany, as well as showing the benefit of Pernetti's experience in media management in showing the value of Rutgers. Helps to diffuse the ridiculous narrative that "all Tim did was answer the phone".

I do think the article played up the drama a bit. It was less a question of IF Rutgers would be invited to the Big Ten, and more a question of WHEN. After Nebraska was invited, Rutgers was always seen as next man up. That's why when news leaked about Maryland's impending invitation, everyone correctly assumed that Rutgers would join with Maryland. (In fact, if Nebraska hadn't decided to leave the B12, Rutgers likely would have been the 12th member of the Big Ten.)

I also think * the article should have mentioned the importance of the 2006 football season, especially the uproar over limited broadcast rights for the Texas Bowl in which Rutgers and its fanbase brought the NFL and major NY Market cable companies to their knees. That showed that Rutgers could generate BTN carriage fees.

But otherwise, a fairly good summary of the events.
Said a lot of the same on the RT.

* The one point I didn’t mention as I felt my post was already too long. It’s where the rest of the B1G could truly see what Delany was saying and Tim and Rutgers was selling.

Good job, @Upstream bringing it up.👍

Last edited:
That headline sucks.
We didn't "crash" anything.

We were invited because we were the best available option.

Reactions: letitrip2
Agreed. Up until around 2005 Syracuse was NYC’s team. We displaced them. Hell even BC was more NY ‘s team than RU before 2005.
There was really no singular or clear majority NY metro area team but market visibility and mindshare was likely a shared, mixed bag of ND, PSU, SU, and less so BC. Army, Rutgers, and Hofstra were probably in the next tier down.

Agreed.

Exactly. Did anyone really expect Delaney to say, “Rutgers Facilities sucked but we took them anyway”. There’s no point disparaging our facilities 10 years after the fact, so he gave a political answer by emphasizing the market.

The fact is stadium expansion strengthened our application and made the stadium Big Ten worthy. The article also states 1990 Rutgers wasn’t ready for the Big Ten. What changed? Tangible football success and facilities, At least football’s facilities got to competitive. Big Bob, McCormack and Greg pushed very hard for football stadium expansion, because they knew a better stadium would strengthen any conference application. And Big Bob wound up losing his job over it.

There was really no singular or clear majority NY metro area team but market visibility and mindshare was likely a shared, mixed bag of ND, PSU, SU, and less so BC. Army, Rutgers, and Hofstra were probably in the next tier down.
Agreed.

As a separate comment, I was at a Birthday party in Oakland around 15 years ago and there were rumors of Pernetti being the commissioner of the Big East before it fell apart. They were all friends of his or knew him well anyway. He was definitely well thought of in all circles. He was huge for our Football program under Schiano. They worked very well together.

He lives in Franklin Lakes I believe. His boys attend(ed) Ramapo HS and play(ed) football. One of my RU friend's kid (now a sophomore RU student) played with them a couple years ago.
Unless he moved, Tim is in Oakland, but close enough…

Reactions: BLewis1968
I always wondered why so many of our fans couldn’t fathom how Tim was not a huge factor.
The guy came from media and knew how to sell the market.
Though, I also think they are down playing the other factors as well. If 2005-2009 didn’t happen and we were a bottom dweller in the BE. It would be very difficult to see how it happens.
Someone mentioned earlier but he was right, NYC was more about Cuse & ND. Not too sure about BC.
I’m from NY and before 2004- I didn’t even know what a Rutgers was..,

Finally. The article we have waited 10 years for.
Interesting insight into the process. And That TP deserves our thanks big time.

btw - if you install the nj.com-Rutgers app (free), you get all articles without paying any subscription.

I installed the app and it works!

The app is free.

see above. if you install the nj.com/rutgers app all of the RU paywall articles are free
I have the app, and I can't read it. I am asked to pay.

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

The catalyst for Rutgers to the B1G was 2006 and the Louisville game and the ratings for that game. That game which is still the highest rated Thursday night college football game showed the B1G leadership what Rutgers could bring to the conference.

Im sure Pernetti highlighted that to the leadership and Greg winning games did not hurt either. That magical season showed what Rutgers was capable of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT