ADVERTISEMENT

EO #3 all-time fav?

My five
John Battle
Roy Hinson
Phil Sellers
Hollis Copeland
James Bailey

Think it’s official now with this latest display after yet another serious injury.

5) Salvi
4) Kent
3) Eug
2) Hodgson
1) Billet

In no order: Hughes, Duncan, Salvi, Hodgsen, Kent/Eugene.....
others for consideration: Coleman, Shields, Billet, Lumpkin, Lamourex,
Andre Hill, Douby, Geo.......

Last edited:
Hinson
Battle
Black
Kent
Griffin

I was too young for the 75-79 era of players, so I didn’t include them.

Last edited:
Eric Clark. He was our lone undersized big man asked to take on the other teams center.

Targum interviewed Wenzel one time about Clark's inability to gain weight despite a high calorie diet etc. and he said something like I cant figure out his secret but if I did I would bottle it up and sell it to all the fat housewives in the suburbs, it was hilarious

Quincy Douby too. He was the original Rutgers Steph Curry, he could really drop some bombs.

Anyone remember Damon Santiago?

Last edited:
Anyone remember Damon Santiago?

Damon was instrumental in one of the most amazing RU road wins ever.....in 1996 RU was at Pitt, and trailing Pitt by 20 in the second half....Pitt was still leading by 12 pts with 2:39 left, but the game came down to RU trailing by two with one second left, and in bounding the ball

Santiago received the in bound, spun around, and drained a three pointer for the win. He had two defenders on him, and still hit the off balance shot

RU 71-Pitt 70

https://apnews.com/a29a2c64cab121825e686a59d7aad037

Last edited:
Damon and Earl each had phenomenal senior year’s - they get honorable mention

Frank If you ever get a chance to watch them they were pure magic. They could have been just as successful now as they were 43 years ago.

Reactions: FrankZ
My list of 5 favorites is not necessarily our best players, but those who were memorable nonetheless:
James Bailey
Rashod Kent
Herve Lamazana
Joel Salvi
Damon Santiago

PS: None of our current players are on my list, yet. But there are a couple that might make it after they graduate. Have to wait til their careers here are completed to see how they stack up.

I would go with Sellers, Dabney, Bailey, Copeland and Jordan and throw in Douby as a sixth. That Final Four team was by far the best team we ever had and Douby was MONEY with the ball in his hands.

Reactions: wheezer
As for the Hodgson story. He went a semester to Indiana and than Suffolk Community College. His dad played high school ball with Bob Wenzel and was a good friend. He and his dad also really liked Dunphy at Penn. I seem to remember Rob got on a train heading to Penn when he changed his mind and got off. He decided on RU. This was a back & forth story discussed almost every day on the WCTC sports talk show that was on every M-F from 7:10 PM after a sports update until 8 PM.

As for the Hodgson story. He went a semester to Indiana and than Suffolk Community College. His dad played high school ball with Bob Wenzel and was a good friend. He and his dad also really liked Dunphy at Penn. I seem to remember Rob got on a train heading to Penn when he changed his mind and got off. He decided on RU. This was a back & forth story discussed almost every day on the WCTC sports talk show that was on every M-F from 7:10 PM after a sports update until 8 PM.

Interesting post about Rob Hodgson from years ago(2004) and an email he sent in to the site publisher

https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/rob-hodgson-checks-in

Yes I did.
Darius was one tough dude as was Kelvin Troy and they were both from Lakewood. Crazy thing is I actually played on an industrial hoops team with those two and Rudy Mann and others. I was the only darn guy on the team who couldn’t dunk and Rudy could barely at 7 foot tall lol.

Loved Tom Savage. He was a poor man's Sellers in a lot of ways. He'd rip your heart out. Who didn't like Phil Marcotte, Mike Jones, and Lloyd Moore?

Last edited:
Battle
Hinson
Lumpkin
Dadika,Rich
Corey Sanders

Honorable mention:
Earl Duncan
Gettys
Lloyd Moore
Craig Carter

Would take me awhile to really go through the years. Tom Savage and Rick Dadika are on my list for sure. I loved Duncan, Steve Worthy, Rob Hodgson. Making a list of 13 scholarship players might look like this! Keep in mind that I’m from 1988 so I missed battle, Hinson and those older greats.

Savage
Dadika
Duncan
Worthy
Hodgson
Hughes
Lumpkin
Douby
Sanders
Mike Jones
Myles Mack
Dahntay Jones
Mike Williams

Would take me awhile to really go through the years. Tom Savage and Rick Dadika are on my list for sure. I loved Duncan, Steve Worthy, Rob Hodgson. Making a list of 13 scholarship players might look like this! Keep in mind that I’m from 1988 so I missed battle, Hinson and those older greats.

Savage
Dadika
Duncan
Worthy
Hodgson
Hughes
Lumpkin
Douby
Sanders
Mike Jones
Myles Mack
Dahntay Jones
Mike Williams

Also really loved the toughness of Daryl Smith, Damon Santiago was a player and many others. Tough to eliminate guys. Loved rashod Kent but too many missed FTs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT