ADVERTISEMENT

ESPNU Talking About Maryland/RU Trophy Names

How about a modified reproduction of the Liberty Bell. We fight for Philadelphia, a city between us yet not properly belonging to either.

Given Maryland's love of all things Equestrian i.e. the Preakness, and the fact that NJ's state animal is the Horse. I'd like the trophy to be a Golden Horse, or something like that.

Makes for a very cool trophy.

To build out Revolutionary War ties I say The Bronze Musket (aka like the Little Brown Jug, the trophy is an object not a trophy.) They could get a reproduction revolutionary musket and have it bronzed. On one side of the stock it says Rutgers and you can engrave the years they win., The other side Maryland and engrave the years when they win.
Why stop at a musket go with a friggin CANNON:boom:

Reactions: RUTrack94
Think the Maryland Troops did winter at Jockey Hollow but their Revolutionary War history is pitiful compared to New Jersey's.

Go with something that ties into our colonial roots. How about a colonial-era canon trophy?

I would support using a small cannonball as the trophy. It's transportable, easy to paint in school colors and has direct ties to Rutgers (literally where Alexander Hamilton's artillery brigade fought) and Maryland, where fort McHenry survived a rather famous night of bombardment in 1812.

images

I would support using a small cannonball as the trophy. It's transportable, easy to paint in school colors and has direct ties to Rutgers (literally where Alexander Hamilton's artillery brigade fought) and Maryland, where fort McHenry survived a rather famous night of bombardment in 1812.

images

I like this idea. . . but Ideally you want the trophy to tie into some other industry. . .that's why I said it should be a Horse.

Anything that creates a broader base is worth pursuing. Remember Maryland has the Preakness, and NJ's State Animal is the Horse.

a trophy that's a bucking Bronco is right on point.

and this creates the perfect synergy for Hobbs to reach out to the racing industry. . . and bring them on board.

I like the colonial idea because I think Rutgers needs to emphasize its colonial history as part of its brand. It's what makes us unique -- no other colonial college plays football at this level.

I love it when they show the cannon crew on TV.

I think we should pursue this in other ways. I'd like fife and drum type stuff, colonial flags, etc. The band could play Yankee Doodle after a touchdown while waiting for extra point and before they do the fight song. Notre Dame does the Irish Jig. Georgia plays the Battle Hymn. We have a school named after a Revolutionary hero; it's a natural fit.

It's good branding and something to be proud of.

Another idea I was thinking of was the Battle for Megalopolis because it's what we have in common with Maryland -- part of the 50 million people living in the big cities between Boston and Washington. I'd call the game "The Nor'Easter."

By the way, Penn State is not in the Megalopolis, so this would be just about our two schools. The other D1 schools in the Megalopolis are Temple, Army, Uconn, and BC, but the Battle for Megalopolis would be in the B1G.

The choc bucket ... A colleague of mine does civil war reenactments and said soldiers used to drink choc in old tin buckets.

No one thinks of crabs when they think of NJ. No one.

It would be like calling the trophy a pork roll sandwich or whatever they are called.

Um.. maybe the trophy game will change that? Maybe they should be thinking you can get good crabs here instead of thinking of New Jersey as some rest stop on the turnpike between NYC and Philly?

It wouldn't be the worst thing if they mentioned New Jersey Barnegat Bay crabs once a year during that game.

Being from Maryland, I have to correct. NJ isn't famous for blue "claw" crabs. Maryland owns that. And when there, I wouldn't call them that. People will think you don't know what you are talking about.

No one thinks of crabs when they think of NJ. No one.

It would be like calling the trophy a pork roll sandwich or whatever they are called.

Cali, you're being a tad provincial. I just caught a 1/2 bushel of NJ Blue "claw" crabs today in Barnegat bay and made some delicious crab cakes. I have family on the MD Eastern shore and the blue crabs are excellent ( I love 'em with Old Bay Seasoning, and there is this restaurant in Oxford south of Chestertown ...). Nonetheless there are excellent crab fisheries in VA, DE, and NJ as well. The average MD harvest is 33 M pounds with VA at 29 M and NJ at 20 M. The Chesapeake is bigger so it yields more, but NJ is definitely in the game. Now about Striped Bass VS Rockfish...

Cali, you're being a tad provincial. I just caught a 1/2 bushel of NJ Blue "claw" crabs today in Barnegat bay and made some delicious crab cakes. I have family on the MD Eastern shore and the blue crabs are excellent ( I love 'em with Old Bay Seasoning, and there is this restaurant in Oxford south of Chestertown ...). Nonetheless there are excellent crab fisheries in VA, DE, and NJ as well. The average MD harvest is 33 M pounds with VA at 29 M and NJ at 20 M. The Chesapeake is bigger so it yields more, but NJ is definitely in the game. Now about Striped Bass VS Rockfish...

This reminds me of a sign in a local breakfast place near me that proclaims that New Hampshire is the third largest producer of maple syrup in northern New England.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who reps the garden state more than me, but crabs? C'mon man.

You think an RU/MD trophy will make people associate our state with crabs?
I think crabs would be one of the top three things anyone in the country would associate with MD. I don't think that would be in our top hundred list.

I'm not arguing reality. I'm arguing perception.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think it would be cool if the trophy was a small fishing boat.....big enough to fit two people, but not too big for football players to carry over their heads around on the field after winning it.

Also, the winners get to paint their logo somewhere on it every year! That would add a memorable visual element not unlike the Old Oaken Bucket receiving a new chain link with the initial of the winning team each year.

MagicWing-03.jpg
This ^^ .. .is a killer idea.

...Look, I know to you I’m just a guy who writes about a team that plays in South Canada. But as a Minnesota fan I’ve seen first hand what happens when schools force trophy games. Behold, the Balsa Wood Bell of Triumph Governor’s Victory Bell!

Don’t let yourself be stuck with a trophy you have to feign indifference for. When rivalries and trophy games get forced the outcome is always bland, uninspiring, and often gets a sponsor attached to it for no good reason. Let it happen naturally. Lose a random piece of equipment when you next play on the road...

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/7/26/12291288/maryland-rutgers-trophy-rivalry

ADVERTISEMENT