ADVERTISEMENT

Everyone CHILL

R house

Redshirt
Dec 12, 2004
I’m a strong believer in Pike. He talks the talk and walks the walk. Every year his team has gotten better and every year he has brought in better talent. Eugene left and that is not Pike’s fault, that is a character flaw on Eugene, no one saw this coming.

To me this is a team that is finding itself and learning their roles. They lack senior leadership which is the main problem. No identity yet. However, the pieces are there for this team to be above 500. Pike needs to iron out the roles real quick, but he will get it done. He’ll find his go to guys and role players will begin to set up the play makers.

I also think Paul will be a real special player. He plays the right way and will setup our scorers. He can play defense, so enough. He is active in the zone and adds length. He can play man against the three and eventually some ones and twos. I also think Yaboa will be a very effective offensive player, we will see that soon. The guys who need to be on the floor are Caleb, Geo, Harper, Johnson And Yaboa, off the bench in this order Paul , Mathis , young for the guards. Johnson needs more touches.

We may be a year off, but this team is built well and will be a special group when done. It is very obvious to me, I believe in Pike.

Last edited:
I like and appreciate your comments. We lose one game and the negatoids always pop up. Many of these posters probably never even played sports on a major level. They just like to criticize and think they know everything.

Fine, I'll bite. How is raising questions about Pikiell a different level of people thinking they know everything than people saying "this team is built well and will be a special group when done. It is very obvious to me." ?? What makes one of those arrogant and one of them not?

Of course nobody here KNOWS what will happen and we all want to see the basketball program succeed. But to act like there isn't a valid conversation to be had is starting to remind me of the Flood years on the football board. That's not a comparison of Pikiell to Flood, because Pikiell has a much better grip on the program. But it is a comparison to how some posters seem to turn a blind eye to actual things a coach does (or does not do) that are worth criticizing.

Plenty to criticize or be concerned with so far, but to act like the season is over or to lose confidence in Pike at this point like many have done is is an over reaction. This is a very young team that needs to settle in. They will find their way. Pike has consistently improved the team so he has earned our confidence and patience. I don’t know what our record will be this year but I do know we are still heading in the right direction.

Fine, I'll bite. How is raising questions about Pikiell a different level of people thinking they know everything than people saying "this team is built well and will be a special group when done. It is very obvious to me." ?? What makes one of those arrogant and one of them not?

Of course nobody here KNOWS what will happen and we all want to see the basketball program succeed. But to act like there isn't a valid conversation to be had is starting to remind me of the Flood years on the football board. That's not a comparison of Pikiell to Flood, because Pikiell has a much better grip on the program. But it is a comparison to how some posters seem to turn a blind eye to actual things a coach does (or does not do) that are worth criticizing.

Exactly. We all like Steve and very much want him to succeed, but this attitude that these apologists have that he is above any criticism at all is preposterous.

He hasn't done close to enough to just keep giving passes for these eggs that are being laid. If they want only flowers and sunshine, stick to ScarletKnights.com. This is a place to discuss and when warranted, criticize. Criticism of Saturday's performance is more than warranted.

Last edited:
I like and appreciate your comments. We lose one game and the negatoids always pop up. Many of these posters probably never even played sports on a major level. They just like to criticize and think they know everything.

You're a well-respected coach and educator so it surprises me that you're acting so obtuse.

So unless I've played Division I basketball, I can't comment about what I saw? I don't think anyone claimed they "know everything." Should only people that have been president be allowed to criticize the guy holding that office?

Reactions: drewbagel423
Exactly. We all like Steve and very much want him to succeed, but this attitude that these apologists have that he is above any criticism at all is preposterous.

He hasn't done close to enough to just keep giving passes for these eggs that are being laid. If they want only flowers and sunshine, stick to ScarletKnights.com. This is a place to discuss and when warranted, criticize. Criticism of Saturday's performance is more than warranted.
In the end head coaches should be evaluated on what the won/loss record is at the end of the season and cumulatively during their tenure.For Rutgers mens basketball it hasn't been a positive look and that is why fans express frustration during the season because they have seen continuous losing for a very long time.

In the end head coaches should be evaluated on what the won/loss record is at the end of the season and cumulatively during their tenure.For Rutgers mens basketball it hasn't been a positive look and that is why fans express frustration during the season because they have seen continuous losing for a very long time.
I like Pikiells attitude toward each game and towards the season. He says he enjoys the grind and if that’s true, that’s how you have to think in order to be successful. Good teams bounce back from tough performances and sometimes mediocre teams shoot the lights out. Watching in Toronto with my son we were just laughing at the run that Bonnie made and couldn’t believe that all of their 3 pointers were hitting.

I’ll give one criticism or flaw that I have seen in 3 out of the 4 games and that’s how guys are picking up the switches on defense when coming off a screen. I feel like our guy gets screened out the and other defender flashes towards him but only briefly. I think if you mix that up and actually switch defenders from time to time, we will end up with more steals and better results. When our defender flashes towards the guy with the ball and then goes back to defend the guy that picked him, there are too many open looks and we have tired towards the end of some of those picks and that’s when guys are getting open looks.

If I could explain it better I would but I hope it makes sense? It’s like a very predictable flash that doesn’t slow up the other team as they know it’s not a real switch.

I like Pikiells attitude toward each game and towards the season. He says he enjoys the grind and if that’s true, that’s how you have to think in order to be successful. Good teams bounce back from tough performances and sometimes mediocre teams shoot the lights out. Watching in Toronto with my son we were just laughing at the run that Bonnie made and couldn’t believe that all of their 3 pointers were hitting.

I’ll give one criticism or flaw that I have seen in 3 out of the 4 games and that’s how guys are picking up the switches on defense when coming off a screen. I feel like our guy gets screened out the and other defender flashes towards him but only briefly. I think if you mix that up and actually switch defenders from time to time, we will end up with more steals and better results. When our defender flashes towards the guy with the ball and then goes back to defend the guy that picked him, there are too many open looks and we have tired towards the end of some of those picks and that’s when guys are getting open looks.

If I could explain it better I would but I hope it makes sense? It’s like a very predictable flash that doesn’t slow up the other team as they know it’s not a real switch.
This is called a “hedge.”

I do think there is something to what you are saying. The reason the warriors revolutionized the NBA was not just their shooting but their ability to switch on screens defensively pretty much PG through Center. If Rutgers really is moving more positionless, they should be taking advantage by switching on screens. This should definitely be the case when Myles is not in the lineup.

Reactions: zazoo2002
Local, I NEVER said a person had to have played basketball to be able to comment. I said "many of these posters probably never even played sports on a major level". By major level I mean high school or college sports. Of course there are exceptions like people who were managers or could not participate in sports for some reason but still love them. However I have spoken with many people who are so negative and have only been following the team for a very short time and want instant gratification. Pikiell to me has our team so much improved from what he inherited. He gets it in so many ways. I feel we are lucky to have him as our coach.

You know the difference between constructive criticism ...and the nonsense that comes up that is both over the line and bordering on harassment when calling out players and coaches without a constructive basis.

Keep it legit criticism it’s fine...but s lot of it is quickly making this forum go down hill ....

Everyone here is angry and frustrated for 29 years without a ncaa bid. Keep the criticism to what’s at hand and don’t heap the previous 25 years of ineptitude on this staff or Group of players ....

The window of opportunity @ Rutgers is small and closing. While I'm a big fan of Pike, the program 'appears' to be stalling - ongoing recruiting difficulties, lack of team cohesiveness, lost defensive identity, and a tweener offensive identity. There's still a long season ahead...but if Pike doesn't demonstrate sustained progress this year and isn't at least knocking on the door by next season, he'll have very possibly squandered that window; not sure what else he'll have to sell recruits...the lifeblood of any program.

The window of opportunity @ Rutgers is small and closing. While I'm a big fan of Pike, the program 'appears' to be stalling - ongoing recruiting difficulties, lack of team cohesiveness, lost defensive identity, and a tweener offensive identity. There's still a long season ahead...but if Pike doesn't demonstrate sustained progress this year and isn't at least knocking on the door by next season, he'll have very possibly squandered that window; not sure what else he'll have to sell recruits...the lifeblood of any program.

all of this based on 1 loss?

- We lost to 0-3 St Bonaventure. The rest is great and all, OP, but that was a REALLY BAD loss.

- We can’t defend the 3. PERIOD. Since Day 1.

- it’s becoming apparent that losing Jay Young has really, REALLY hurt this staff. He needs to be replaced appropriately. ASAP. I know that’s likely not to happen during the season but our “bigs” seem to have taken a major step backwards AND they are playing very “soft”

- I am now convinced this team “bought into” their press clippings. I wasn’t after 2 games HOWEVER these last 2 have I am.

- recruiting is okay BUT really needs to get better and anyone saying otherwise is simply blowing smoke (sorry guys...)

...these things are all on Pikes AND it’s his job to fix them.

Last edited:
you are so right and we can list the prime examples--they tend to write long diatribes that blow with the wind

Pike has constructed a roster such that we could be one major injury to Myles Johnson from flushing this season and maybe the next two down the toilet.

Reactions: Local Shill
- it’s becoming apparent that losing Jay Young has really, REALLY hurt this staff. He needs to be replaced appropriately. ASAP. I know that’s likely not to happen during the season but our “bigs” seem to have taken a major step backwards AND they are playing very “soft”

Jay Young is a coach...c'mon.

You can't go this path without stating the obvious

Since blowing out Iowa on the road in what was the highlight of last season, not much has gone right. Isaa slaps his girlfriend around and gets tossed, team collapses with three straight terrible losses to end the season, Gene bails, Steve hires his boy instead of a real recruiter and now team looks pretty bad in 3 of the first 4 games this year. Throw in some recruiting misses and it hasn't been a great 8 months.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
Since blowing out Iowa on the road in what was the highlight of last season, not much has gone right. Isaa slaps his girlfriend around and gets tossed, team collapses with three straight terrible losses to end the season, Gene bails, Steve hires his boy instead of a real recruiter and now team looks pretty bad in 3 of the first 4 games this year. Throw in a some recruiting misses and it hasn't been a great 8 months.

Am I missing anything?

Yeah but you're basing this off one game.

(sarcasm)

EDIT: Throw in that Midknight Madness was by most accounts a letdown. The act they book got arrested four days beforehand (out of their control obviously) and the general vibe from recruits and what Richie has said was that the whole experience wasn't very good. Not a well-run show, lots of just standing around. That's the stuff Rutgers could control.

that isn't what i meant...blaming our coach leaving for bigs being soft is silly when looking at roster differences

Got it sorry I’m scrambled today...and I disagree...things are different, it’s obvious to most, To think for one second that losing a top-flight assistant coach such as Jay has an affect in this team is been very, very short sighted in my most humble of opinions.

Last edited:
Agree with the OP that the long-term prospects are still positive. Bonnie's game was a very bad loss for which Pike must take the blame. But this season will be judged over the long haul, especially by how RU plays in conference games. That remains to be seen. Hopefully, most of the many kinks will be ironed out by then. I would like to see this team with it's length at the 1-3 positions press full court much more. Not sure why we've not seen any of that.

If the full-court press and the zone defense were the elixir that magically fixed every defense then every team would be doing it. Fact is they're hard to install in a way that will be effective. West Virginia doesn't even press anymore.

Got it sorry I’m scrambled today...and I disagree...things are different, it’s obvious to most, To think for one second that losing a top-flight assistant coach such as Jay has an affect in this team is been very, very short sighted in my most humble of opinions.

So we are soft because a coach is gone? Roster changes not a factor?

So we are soft because a coach is gone? Roster changes not a factor?

I don’t recall our current big guys playing so soft last year. As a matter of fact: they didn’t. Actually started a thread about after game 3(?) and most agreed.

Local, I NEVER said a person had to have played basketball to be able to comment. I said "many of these posters probably never even played sports on a major level". By major level I mean high school or college sports. Of course there are exceptions like people who were managers or could not participate in sports for some reason but still love them. However I have spoken with many people who are so negative and have only been following the team for a very short time and want instant gratification. Pikiell to me has our team so much improved from what he inherited. He gets it in so many ways. I feel we are lucky to have him as our coach.
Knights1212, I enjoy reading your posts. But this past Saturday, Pikiell, whom I really love, laid an egg. There was no reason to lose to the Bonnies. None. BTW, I played major BB and have coached it, and I don't think many here want to see him fail. We all want to see him succeed.

With that said, I didn't understand why when the Bonnies were making that ridiculous run in the first half to go up 19, why he thinks that playing man-to-man D when it's not working, he shouldn't think about going to zone, or changing up our personnel who were so off in their shooting and D that it put us in such a hole we never recovered from?

I know Pike has zone and presses in his arsenal. I just wish, as he's learning more and more about our players and who gels best with one another, he also reflects to his own coaching abilities and is able to change up schemes when they're obviously not working.

Just so you know, I am all in with Pike, but I heavily criticized him after the last defeat, because it was avoidable, and as a Rutgers alum and fan since the 1970's I'm sick of losing as I'm sure you are.

Reactions: RUJMM78
I’m not sure our Bigs are soft or just a little lost in the new scheme. Losing Shaq and Gene isn’t easy on the team but it shouldn’t be THE excuse for them to struggle. People forget Myles was pretty stout last year but he got into foul trouble which also happened Saturday. It didn’t help that RHJ sat early, too.

I only listened to the game but, to me, our 3 point defense was a factor plus they were just seemingly hitting everything they threw up there.

I trust Pike. He’ll get the most out of this group this year.

I think this game will turn into a valuable lesson for the whole team, including coaches.

I don’t recall our current big guys playing so soft last year. As a matter of fact: they didn’t. Actually started a thread about after game 3(?) and most agreed.

You open a can of worms here.......the actual thesis I had for underperformance to expectations

Who was the leader of the team last year? The captain.

Who's playing soft? What does that even mean? We're 5th in the country in block percentage defensively, and we've drawn at least 3 or 4 charges that I can remember.

You open a can of worms here.......the actual thesis I had for underperformance to expectations

Who was the leader of the team last year? The captain.

Ohhhh su Gene leaves and the other big guys get soft? Gotcha. :Eyes: :See::Eyes: :See::Eyes: :See:

As we ALL are but that doesn’t mean you can’t discuss, criticize, and/or form opinions during the season.
Nothing that I have seen on the court goes against my thinking so far.....unfortunately. All my thoughts and concerns and expectations have played out.

I do hold out hope players will surprise to the upside. 4 games is NOT enough. There is a HUGE difference between playing OOC and playing P5/P6. We have zero sample size there.

Since blowing out Iowa on the road in what was the highlight of last season, not much has gone right. Isaa slaps his girlfriend around and gets tossed, team collapses with three straight terrible losses to end the season, Gene bails, Steve hires his boy instead of a real recruiter and now team looks pretty bad in 3 of the first 4 games this year. Throw in some recruiting misses and it hasn't been a great 8 months.

Am I missing anything?
Sometimes reading factual information brings fans back to reality as to what has happened in the past and and how it possibly impacts what is happening now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT