ADVERTISEMENT

Ex-Rutgers Sports Reporter returning to the East Coast - Taryn Hatcher

The Philly media barely cover Rutgers except when the teams are doing *quite* well or *quite* badly. Still, it's great to have her back in the area.

It’s a quote from the Q&A in the article. She was asked her favorite concert. His other comment is related to a poster on here that does not like moles on women. Maybe he likes them on men. Who knows.
And it was all sarcasm. Ms. Hatcher is an excellent reporter, and I wish her well. . . despite her bad taste in music.
Are there any hot women that like Slayer?

Reactions: RU_DIO
I remember once saying that Taryn Hatcher had "it".. was a future star.. people agreed.. then some wet blanket chimed in saying we were all dirty old men.

So.. at risk of that... she has "it".

Reactions: Section124
giphy.gif

Reactions: RU-AGK and MikeRU09
This is a great move for her given her roots and anytime we can get RU folks in the major markets it’s a good thing. Enough with the Syracuse sports mafia already...

Taryn is hot.
I hope I’m still allowed to notice and comment on a hot girl when I see one on this site...In todays world....?
With the current weather report, we will all be hot. For those that are heavier than others, the heavier ones will be hotter than the skinnier ones.
#WeAreAllHot

Reactions: lakejj
This thread brings something to mind...I know we have SCILS and there is a journalism major, but I always wondered why a school of Rutgers' size in this media market never had a dedicated journalism school within SCILS or on its own. We seem to produce our fair share of talent over the years.

Taryn is hot.
I hope I’m still allowed to notice and comment on a hot girl when I see one on this site...In todays world....?
Even her name is hot. Plus she's a good earner, if she can cook I'm not kicking her out of bed.

This thread brings something to mind...I know we have SCILS and there is a journalism major, but I always wondered why a school of Rutgers' size in this media market never had a dedicated journalism school within SCILS or on its own. We seem to produce our fair share of talent over the years.
Because journalism is dead. Apparently anyone who can blog is considered a journalist these days. Editing is not a thing anymore, as even the pros put out pieces full of errors. Why have a school that generates graduates who can't get a job?

Because journalism is dead. Apparently anyone who can blog is considered a journalist these days. Editing is not a thing anymore, as even the pros put out pieces full of errors. Why have a school that generates graduates who can't get a job?

Hardy dead, just remade into "news like" opinion/entertainment shows masquerading as news that dominate cable TV.

Yes, we're having a discussion about a Rutgers Alum who is doing well in the profession.

Journalism has always been a very chancy business. Getting a job often involves being at the right place at the right. I'm glad Taryn is doing well and I hope that continues.

Journalism programs at the undergraduate level don't translate into having a job afterward. Matter of fact, not even a masters in journalism helps that much, although it is better than having just the undergraduate degree. Journalism is very much a "learn by doing" field, so it doesn't lend itself to the classroom that well.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUSK97
Journalism has always been a very chancy business. Getting a job often involves being at the right place at the right. I'm glad Taryn is doing well and I hope that continues.

Journalism programs at the undergraduate level doesn't translate into having a job afterward. Matter of fact, not even a masters in journalism helps that much, although it is better than having just the undergraduate degree. Journalism is very much a "learn by doing" field, so it doesn't lend itself to the classroom that well.
And you can make that case for how many other fields? Then why does the major exist at all? Why does any major or any university exist at all? Bottom line is that Rutgers has the major and is in a major media market. I think it's reasonable to ask why the University hasn't placed a greater emphasis on it.

And you can make that case for how many other fields? Then why does the major exist at all? Why does any major or any university exist at all? Bottom line is that Rutgers has the major and is in a major media market. I think it's reasonable to ask why the University hasn't placed a greater emphasis on it.

It's not considered very "academic" and journalism professors often don't publish much research.

Yes, we're having a discussion about a Rutgers Alum who is doing well in the profession.
She's very talented and very fortunate and...for better or for worse, looks are important in broadcast journalism and she ain't ugly to look at. Those three main factors have gotten her to where she is. It's not the case for many other journalism majors. I mean, what're you gonna do - aspire to work at the Star Ledger or nj.com? It's not a liberal arts degree that gives you a wide base of learning (that's a whole other debate). Journalism is a targeted professional degree.

She's very talented and very fortunate and...for better or for worse, looks are important in broadcast journalism and she ain't ugly to look at. Those three main factors have gotten her to where she is. It's not the case for many other journalism majors. I mean, what're you gonna do - aspire to work at the Star Ledger or nj.com? It's not a liberal arts degree that gives you a wide base of learning (that's a whole other debate). Journalism is a targeted professional degree.

To be fair, I do know of people who had an undergraduate major in journalism who went on to do other things. One is a Ph.D in psychology and a leading clinical therapist. Cal had just abolished its undergrad major in favor of a master's program when I was there. I considered going into the master's program, but couldn't figure out anywhere it would take me.

Reactions: Peteyd
Natalie Morales has done quite well for herself with a journalism degree from Rutgers coming up on 25 years ago now. Not sure whether the Journalism program within SCILS could or should be elevated given any built-in media market advantages. That said, the Library Science program within SCILS is very highly regarded.

I think the world is in dire need of real journalists. But I also think that in this world of social media.. a journalism degree alongside some special area of interest.. tech, finance, etc... with a social media concentration of some sort.. could do well.

Many companies appreciated well-spoken people who could understand their business.. the ability to put that into word on various web sites and social media should find interest out there.

I think the world is in dire need of real journalists. But I also think that in this world of social media.. a journalism degree alongside some special area of interest.. tech, finance, etc... with a social media concentration of some sort.. could do well.

Many companies appreciated well-spoken people who could understand their business.. the ability to put that into word on various web sites and social media should find interest out there.

My uninformed guess is that the social media world changes too quickly for academic courses to be useful. In addition, journalists have the mindset of challengers, not team players in a business environment.

I wonder if she will cover local Phillies with a passion? I love baseball, i could just see her now coverimg local church league softball too.

which reminds me. I heard about this guy, we’ll call him numbers (not his real name) Hit a homerun in his slow pitch softball league a few weeks back - no fence, hit it over the CF'shead and had to run full speed (and his full speed ain't what it used to be) around the bases to make it. As He huffed and puffed to the bench afterwards, I heard he half jokingly told his teammates that he wondered how Taryn Hatcher would cover his shot if only her coverage extended up to central New Jersey.

My daughter was interviewed in that video above. Taryn was very nice. I'm not qualified to comment on her journalistic abilities. However, as a dirty old man, I am qualified to comment that she is smokin' hot, much more so in person.

Journalism programs and degrees are not limited to those areas. Graduates can pursue jobs in PR, Marketing, Digital Marketing and Social Media that are creative and can pay well. I wouldn’t say the major is dead, but it continues to evolve.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I wonder if she will cover local Phillies with a passion? I love baseball, i could just see her now coverimg local church league softball too.

which reminds me. I heard about this guy, we’ll call him numbers (not his real name) Hit a homerun in his slow pitch softball league a few weeks back - no fence, hit it over the CF'shead and had to run full speed (and his full speed ain't what it used to be) around the bases to make it. As He huffed and puffed to the bench afterwards, I heard he half jokingly told his teammates that he wondered how Taryn Hatcher would cover his shot if only her coverage extended up to central New Jersey.
I will go to my grave wondering the same thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT