ADVERTISEMENT

Ex-Rutgers Sports Reporter returning to the East Coast - Taryn Hatcher

I think the world is in dire need of real journalists. But I also think that in this world of social media.. a journalism degree alongside some special area of interest.. tech, finance, etc... with a social media concentration of some sort.. could do well.

Many companies appreciated well-spoken people who could understand their business.. the ability to put that into word on various web sites and social media should find interest out there.
Exactly. And you would surprised how many individuals in top management positions simply can’t write or communicate well. They need folks to help them.

Exactly. And you would surprised how many individuals in top management positions simply can’t write or communicate well. They need folks to help them.

Or, just rely on Spellcheck and the Grammarly App for Chrome.

My uninformed guess is that the social media world changes too quickly for academic courses to be useful. In addition, journalists have the mindset of challengers, not team players in a business environment.
There are probably some standards and "rules of thumb" that could be identified that would apply to any number of social media sites. If you notice people who market themselves to this end, they say "social media expert".. not some specific sites. I would think there is a lot of room for classes to be designed around that.

There are probably some standards and "rules of thumb" that could be identified that would apply to any number of social media sites. If you notice people who market themselves to this end, they say "social media expert".. not some specific sites. I would think there is a lot of room for classes to be designed around that.

You may be right, but an awful lot of people -- including many people here -- seem to have become pretty social media savvy without having to sit in a classroom for a semester.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT