ADVERTISEMENT

Federal judge enjoins NCAA's NIL rules

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
A federal judge today granted a preliminary injunction barring the NCAA from enforcing its NIL rules. Those rules barred the use of NIL as a recruiting inducement and prohibited the involvement of boosters. The judge said that the rules are barred by the federal anti-trust laws as unreasonable restraints of trade. The injunction, among other things, jeopardizes the NCAA's investigation of U. Tennessee for alleged violations of its rules. If the ruling becomes final and is upheld, then basically NIL can't be regulated without federal legislation granting some kind of exemption for NIL rules from the anti-trust laws.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...nnessee-lawsuit-judge-injunction/72716725007/

Reactions: Fat Koko
Does this mean that coaches and boosters can more closely partner together during recruiting?

Like can Jeff Towers literally walk around with Pike and sit down with recruits to discuss potential NIL deals?

I think in the past Pike and Schiano had to pretend they weren’t involved.

I might have this all wrong.

I think it's time to dump the FB and BBall season tickets and just watch from home until the sports get totally domnated by a small handful of deep pocketed donor schools....sad....

Reactions: Mike from MD
Does this mean that coaches and boosters can more closely partner together during recruiting?

Like can Jeff Towers literally walk around with Pike and sit down with recruits to discuss potential NIL deals?

In line with your Pikiell and Schiano question- can we drop the silly facade of "the University cannot pay athletes" and it must be done through this dumb scheme of collectives? (not a knock on our particular collectives, just collectives in general). IIRC, didn't NJ have more restrictions around NIL than other states?

So, if Rutgers and any other school could get NIL directly under control of their Athletics department, might that be better for Rutgers.?

NFL 2.0
Maybe call it the LFL "Legacy Football League"
The student athlete shtick is gone too.
SEC players playing for their colleges as pros and being able to move around?
NFL has a problem on the way and that's good.

The infinite wisdom of the Supreme Court - LMAO.

In the next 5 years, you will either see a federal anti-trust exemption (and return to normal) or a 50 team mega-conference (with schools on the outside beginning a 25 year period of steady reduction of their athletics departments to nothing).

In line with your Pikiell and Schiano question- can we drop the silly facade of "the University cannot pay athletes" and it must be done through this dumb scheme of collectives? (not a knock on our particular collectives, just collectives in general). IIRC, didn't NJ have more restrictions around NIL than other states?

So, if Rutgers and any other school could get NIL directly under control of their Athletics department, might that be better for Rutgers.?
It is still prohibited by state law.

I'm kind of tuned out on all this and I saw there was an article in The Athletic, but no time to read it.

Questions:
1. Does this decision, if affirmed on appeal, mean the wild west and the "haves" will have more and the "have nots" will have less?

2. Is this good or bad for Rutgers? Worst case scenario, or something else?

Thanks.
I think it's for the rest of the semester like the temporary no restrictions on transfers ruling that came down recently. So collectives have no restrictions either and can contact high school players etc.. I'm not sure about players on current rosters, I'd think no for that but who knows. Both will likely become permanent until any sort of structure is put in place.

I've said before collective bargaining is going to be needed to put some rules and structure in place and somewhere down the line that's probably coming.

I've always said playing time still matters on some level and each athlete is different and the mindset of an athlete can change as well from one year to the next. Get the money from a school 1-2 years and if the playing time doesn't materialize move on to another school even if you might not get the same money. If you're a school like RU that's what you'd look for imo. The "castoffs" who have gotten their money but doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't be potential contributor Look at the #1 qb recruit Nelson who went from USC to Boise or the qb from Texas to Duke. Will they be good or not for those schools? Who knows but there will be potential contributors out there with a similar situations.

The infinite wisdom of the Supreme Court - LMAO.

In the next 5 years, you will either see a federal anti-trust exemption (and return to normal) or a 50 team mega-conference (with schools on the outside beginning a 25 year period of steady reduction of their athletics departments to nothing).
yup
no one should be celebrating this decision

@RUJON how does this impact KTR?
The short answer is a combination of "not sure" and I don't think this changes our philosophy of focusing on retention and collaborating with Rutgers coaches on their needs. I don't think we want to negotiate directly with HS players or transfers. We leave that communication up to coaches and staffs.

What is not addressed directly in this ruling is whether this will now allow Rutgers Athletics collaborate more directly with KTR on promoting NIL and the collective's efforts. We have been working through this with Athletics staff but they are limited on what they can do based on the current NCAA guidelines. If this eliminates those guidelines then it could open up more ways for us to work together.

Jon

I assume this means the bogus sanctions against programs accused of bending the rules will automaticly disappear, correct?

I’m so close to just throwing in the towel on college sports.

This NIL situation may come to further undermine the college football landscape/experience.

The NCAA in the past tried to regulate certain aspects of college sports to make teams more competitive such as imposing the 85 scholarship rule for football teams as well as policing rule violators.

In the old days a team could bring in 120 scholarship players draining a state of the majority of good players.

Having unlimited NIL can set off an arms race with a few well financially endowed teams throwing significant money to bring in the best players.

College HC coaching salaries have already exceeded $ 5.0 million or more per year greatly exceeding college presidents salaries.

If an 18 year old unproven athlete begin to receive $ 1.0 million or more to come to a school and leave for $3.0 million in the portal a few years later to another team, then the system is broken IMO. If there is no body to regulate the NIL then it is out of control.

The NFL has Salary Caps which ALL NFL teams must adhere too and an NFL Draft Process that requires the good teams to get lower draft pics. The NFL realizes that they have to have some form of parity for NFL teams to ensure National Interest continues.

If College Football (Farm Team) evolves into a few money teams that win every year because of NIL with no regulation, then I will have to rethink how enjoyable college sports is.

Hey, I always have the option of going to Acrisure Stadium and watching the Steelers (Professional Players) in the comfort of Club Seats.

Will still financially support Pitt in Projects that will have a much greater ROI than on what college sports provides now or in the future.

Pitt's Research Capability (AAU University) attracts $1.16 Billion per year in research grants and contracts and through the financial generosity of alums, friends, industry and benefactors have allowed Pitt to attain a $5.5 Billion Endowment.

If I don't follow Pitt, then I also have no interest in watching other SEC or B1G games. I think many others college sport enthusiast may also come to the same conclusion with respect to their team having little chance (lack of NIL funds) of competing in the new world of college sports.

College sports is fun until it isn't.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Optimistic prediction: the judge will be reversed. Let's first note this is home cooking: a decision by a district court judge sitting in Tennessee on a lawsuit brought in part by the Tennessee attorney general.

Second, anti-trust laws permit restraints on competition like the NCAA's NIL rules if they are reasonable. The Supreme Court's decision in Alston striking down the NCAA's restraint on educational benefits reaffirmed that principle. A good case can be made that barring the participation of boosters in NIL is reasonable. It's one thing for Caitlin Clark to make a ton of money endorsing clothing -- that's what NIL is about. Having NIL used as a recruitment inducement is quite different.

Reactions: Kbee3 and satnom
Long term this current model is unsustainable. The NFL learned long ago parity breeds viewership.
You’ll never have full parity in college or anything close to it but anything that pushes in that direction is helpful.

Some sort of CBA will be needed.

You’ll never have full parity in college or anything close to it but anything that pushes in that direction is helpful.

Some sort of CBA will be needed.
Note that a collective bargaining agreement is possible only if college athletes are allowed to unionize -- otherwise there will be no union that the NCAA can make an agreement with.

Note that a collective bargaining agreement is possible only if college athletes are allowed to unionize -- otherwise there will be no union that the NCAA can make an agreement with.
I think that will happen too sometime in the future. It seems like the only way to get some foundational structure and rules in place.

You can imagine RU donors being closer to the action, but for every Jeff Towers we have, the big time programs will pull even further ahead

This NIL situation may come to further undermine the college football landscape/experience.

The NCAA in the past tried to regulate certain aspects of college sports to make teams more competitive such as imposing the 85 scholarship rule for football teams as well as policing rule violators.

In the old days a team could bring in 120 scholarship players draining a state of the majority of good players.

Having unlimited NIL can set off an arms race with a few well financially endowed teams throwing significant money to bring in the best players.

College HC coaching salaries have already exceeded $ 5.0 million or more per year greatly exceeding college presidents salaries.

If an 18 year old unproven athlete begin to receive $ 1.0 million or more to come to a school and leave for $3.0 million in the portal a few years later to another team, then the system is broken IMO. If there is no body to regulate the NIL then it is out of control.

The NFL has Salary Caps which ALL NFL teams must adhere too and an NFL Draft Process that requires the good teams to get lower draft pics. The NFL realizes that they have to have some form of parity for NFL teams to ensure National Interest continues.

If College Football (Farm Team) evolves into a few money teams that win every year because of NIL with no regulation, then I will have to rethink how enjoyable college sports is.

Hey, I always have the option of going to Acrisure Stadium and watching the Steelers (Professional Players) in the comfort of Club Seats.

Will still financially support Pitt in Projects that will have a much greater ROI than on what college sports provides now or in the future.

Pitt's Research Capability (AAU University) attracts $1.16 Billion per year in research grants and contracts and through the financial generosity of alums, friends, industry and benefactors have allowed Pitt to attain a $5.5 Billion Endowment.

If I don't follow Pitt, then I also have no interest in watching other SEC or B1G games. I think many others college sport enthusiast may also come to the same conclusion with respect to their team having little chance (lack of NIL funds) of competing in the new world of college sports.

College sports is fun until it isn't.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I agree with what you say. College sports are fun for me because of my ties to the college (UM and RU, BTW). The big media teams (like Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Alabama etc), however, have huge followings that have no association with the universities. Those fans could care less about how they win, as long as they win. In fact a large % of those fans see the University rules and obligations only as an impediment to winning. So while fans like me and you will lose interest, there will be many more who will fill our spots to keep the money flowing. Maybe not for RU, but certainly for UM.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
I agree with what you say. College sports are fun for me because of my ties to the college (UM and RU, BTW). The big media teams (like Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Alabama etc), however, have huge followings that have no association with the universities. Those fans could care less about how they win, as long as they win. In fact a large % of those fans see the University rules and obligations only as an impediment to winning. So while fans like me and you will lose interest, there will be many more who will fill our spots to keep the money flowing. Maybe not for RU, but certainly for UM.

Depending on what happens with future NIL decisions, college sports may be at an inflection point.

Some regulations (NIL caps per team/monitoring) will need to be agreed to. I realize at this point it is now out of the control of the NCAA but I think something must be done and I think most universities administrators would agree.

If NIL per school spending is limitless and reaches the millions of dollars per year then the negative PR on unfettered expenditures would be a hard sell.

If National Championships are ultimately determined by how much a team spends using massive NIL spending to recruit then it may be time to reconsider whether it is enjoyable to watch this debacle. I think many others will also have the same point of view in this matter. Losing 15-20% or more of viewers will have a big impact on future TV contracts and ticket sales.

The NFL is a business and they have concluded that they must maintain some semblance of parity to preserve National Interest for the benefit of all.

I guess we will have to wait to see how this evolves.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
State Law is superseded by Federal Law, assuming Congress ultimately passes a law, so these state laws will ultimately be nullified.
That's true. But assuming Congress ultimately passes a law, the most likely law they would pass would be an anti-trust exemption for the NCAA ... and that would not nulify state laws prohibiting (or regulating) state schools from paying players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT