ADVERTISEMENT

Fonseca/Zagoria - "Whoa, this is a game-changer": How Rutgers became a destination for the best players in the country.

gregkoko

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2016

Great article about the rise in recruiting at Rutgers. How Pike was essentially knocking on high school doors his first year and where the major recruiting services see us now.

Very positive. Not sure what to make of the fact that Bailey's commitment was evidently tied to the W against Ohio State.

This is one outstanding article. Zags gave us a real shout out. Now we just hope that our recruits sign their letters of intent in April for those from the class of 2023 and in November for those in the class of 2024. We certainly enjoy these times at RU and I for one are so grateful to Steve Pikiell and our entire staff for how hard they work each and every day. Just maybe those who criticized Steve and our recruiting might now see how much Steve has improved our basketball team and recognize him for all of that.

Very positive. Not sure what to make of the fact that Bailey's commitment was evidently tied to the W against Ohio State.

When you have those options and can get everything you want at almost any school in the country, sometimes it's these types of things that throw it over the top.

I like how shu posters think that Rutgers is suddenly swimming in NIL money. We are one of the worst schools when it comes to athletic donations in power 5.

Did we even pay bailey anything? Still amazed we landed him. It's not like we have a six figure deal lined up for him. We can barely get to 500k for a month long NIL donation drive.

I like how shu posters think that Rutgers is suddenly swimming in NIL money. We are one of the worst schools when it comes to athletic donations in power 5.

Did we even pay bailey anything? Still amazed we landed him. It's not like we have a six figure deal lined up for him. We can barely get to 500k for a month long NIL donation drive.
Yes we paid him. And every player on football, basketball and women's basketball has a NIL deal.

That's a lot better than many schools.

I knew Pike was the one with this story. Our crew was tailgating in the Yellow lot and I saw Pike walking around by himself shaking hands. He came up to me and said "hey, try and check out the basketball team this year, we are going to be good". I let him know that I was season ticket holder and wished him the best of luck. He asked for my name and shook hands and went off to the next tailgate.

A week or so before the season the ticket office reached out to me and let me know Pike has two extra tickets for me for the OOC games. I knew right then he was the man.

Just a guess but I think he would have committed anyway but wanted to go to the locker room to do it. Would not have worked out if we had lost and the team was depressed. So the win allowed him to follow his plan. Again just a guess.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I knew Pike was the one with this story. Our crew was tailgating in the Yellow lot and I saw Pike walking around by himself shaking hands. He came up to me and said "hey, try and check out the basketball team this year, we are going to be good". I let him know that I was season ticket holder and wished him the best of luck. He asked for my name and shook hands and went off to the next tailgate.

A week or so before the season the ticket office reached out to me and let me know Pike has two extra tickets for me for the OOC games. I knew right then he was the man.
he told me same--- that this team would be really good--guess he really believed that

Reactions: MiloTalon13

Richie intimated Bailey has a six figure NIL deal. Rutgers boosters stepped up.

This. Absolutely this. A humble guy who deserves all he has earned and will continue to.

Quite a lesson in leadership demonstrated here. Honestly, he could have failed as Rutgers coach and to me that would still leave a lasting impression of his character and humility.

Thanks for sharing.

Great article - thanks for posting it here.

Maybe somebody can explain this to me. A friend sent me an email with this article linked but I couldn't read it because I'm not a subscriber.

So I found this on the bulletin board and I can read it. How come I can read it in one link and not in the other?

Very interesting all time Rutgers recruiting list on the 247sports composite ranking link. It's not really "all time" as it only dates back to 2000. If the list dated back a few more years, I wonder how high Dahntay Jones would rank.

The list also shows how much Geo Baker and Myles Johnson exceeded expectation.

Very interesting all time Rutgers recruiting list on the 247sports composite ranking link. It's not really "all time" as it only dates back to 2000. If the list dated back a few more years, I wonder how high Dahntay Jones would rank.

The list also shows how much Geo Baker and Myles Johnson exceeded expectation.
Todd Billet was ranked higher than Dahntay. Billet was ranked higher than Steve Blake which didn't make sense.

Reactions: scarletpumpernickl
This really puts to bed the bad argument the last couple years that Rutgers and HC Pike don't target one-and-done mercenary type players. "We're not Duke and Kentucky".

We are that type of program now.
Literally bringing in 2 one and done players (hopefully) in 2014.
Plus however long Gavin stays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT