ADVERTISEMENT

For Rutgers football, it was more than just big plays. It was a culture that won out

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
PISCATAWAY, N.J. — For two veteran players on the Rutgers football roster, Saturday’s win over Michigan State was especially meaningful. While Johnny Langan and Mayan Ahanotu took different paths to Rutgers, both understood the significance of Saturday’s win for this program.

At the beginning of the fourth quarter, more than just the season was on the line for Rutgers. Yes, Saturday’s game was one of those winnable games that the Scarlet Knights need if they are to be bowl-eligible in this all-important fourth year of head coach Greg Schiano’s return to the program.

But had Rutgers lost on Saturday, it could well have been the end of this rebuild. Down 24-6 to a peer program in the Big Ten, it isn’t unfair to say that the vision for the program could have come crashing down.

Hope could have been lost on Saturday. In fact, with only several thousand fans left inside SHI Stadium, many had potentially stopped believing.

Those on the Rutgers sideline never stopped believing either.

https://sports.yahoo.com/rutgers-football-more-just-big-100056927.html

Reactions: RUfromNJ
Would you rate the coaching for the 4th of the game the best quarter of coaching this season so far?

Reactions: RUNVA
Not buying the premise. Our guys don’t work any harder. Other teams aren’t composed of quitters. Other coaches motivate.

Our guys just made more plays in the end.
I am not sure how much the Michigan state coaches motivate . They have an interim staff. Schiano should out coach them.
We were prepared and capitalized
But let’s be honest , if the Michigan state punter can handle a punt things might have been different.

Reactions: Morrischiano
I am not sure how much the Michigan state coaches motivate . They have an interim staff. Schiano should out coach them.
But let’s be honest , if the Michigan state punter can handle a punt things might have been different.
Or if the KO returner was more decisive in catching the ball. Not taking anything away from the great effort and win, but culture had nothing to do with it. Culture doesn’t delineate winning and losing teams.

Our culture has a catchphrase (keep choppin) but that doesn’t make it any better.

Or if the KO returner was more decisive in catching the ball. Not taking anything away from the great effort and win, but culture had nothing to do with it. Culture doesn’t delineate winning and losing teams.
It doesn’t ?

Culture is the foundation for success in ant organization

Bizarre statement to say the least

When was this the last time you saw a team with dysfunction be successful?

It doesn’t ?

Culture is the foundation for success in ant organization

Bizarre statement to say the least

When was this the last time you saw a team with dysfunction be successful?
You’re missing the point. Are you saying we have a better culture than the 5 teams we beat and not as good a culture as the two teams we lost to ? Of course you aren’t.

How many wins did F.A.M.I.L.Y. get us ?

Wagner’s Sagarin is below 250. Terrible culture ?

Did the Braves have a better culture than the Phillies all season, but the Phillies culture was better in the playoffs ?

As in these examples, I am saying that culture isn’t what won the game on Saturday. That’s idiotic and you know better than that.

Last edited:
You’re missing the point. Are you saying we have a better culture than the 5 teams we beat and not as good a culture as the two teams we lost to ? Of course you aren’t.

I am saying that culture isn’t what won the game on Saturday.
But without a strong culture we definitely wouldn’t have won

Teams that stick together when the chips are down are successful

Sorry Shelby, yes culture did win this game. Punter did not field the snap, RU capitalized. MSU could not field the “sky” kick RU capitalized. MSU could not stop the run when it mattered RU capitalized. That is all about culture. So many make fun of the Chop concept, and many times mock it. But in a B1G game, a high school game, trying to get started in life, or motivating a team (nope not a sports team) working in the moment and doing what you can in the moment matters. RU had it on Saturday, and on Saturday MSU did not. Winning the moment always matters.

Sorry Shelby, yes culture did win this game. Punter did not field the snap, RU capitalized. MSU could not field the “sky” kick RU capitalized. MSU could not stop the run when it mattered RU capitalized. That is all about culture. So many make fun of the Chop concept, and many times mock it. But in a B1G game, a high school game, trying to get started in life, or motivating a team (nope not a sports team) working in the moment and doing what you can in the moment matters. RU had it on Saturday, and on Saturday MSU did not. Winning the moment always matters.
Agree to disagree. Wins and losses don’t hinge on culture. Culture wasn’t much help last year, was it ? The better teams have better cultures ?

PISCATAWAY, N.J. — For two veteran players on the Rutgers football roster, Saturday’s win over Michigan State was especially meaningful. While Johnny Langan and Mayan Ahanotu took different paths to Rutgers, both understood the significance of Saturday’s win for this program.

At the beginning of the fourth quarter, more than just the season was on the line for Rutgers. Yes, Saturday’s game was one of those winnable games that the Scarlet Knights need if they are to be bowl-eligible in this all-important fourth year of head coach Greg Schiano’s return to the program.

But had Rutgers lost on Saturday, it could well have been the end of this rebuild. Down 24-6 to a peer program in the Big Ten, it isn’t unfair to say that the vision for the program could have come crashing down.

Hope could have been lost on Saturday. In fact, with only several thousand fans left inside SHI Stadium, many had potentially stopped believing.

Those on the Rutgers sideline never stopped believing either.

https://sports.yahoo.com/rutgers-football-more-just-big-100056927.html
I started a thread on this very thing on Sunday
Got 1 response 😂

Agree to disagree. Wins and losses don’t hinge on culture. Culture wasn’t much help last year, was it ? The better teams have better cultures ?

This is one of those "after the fact" things people like to attribute success to way too early.
Same as announcing "we've turned the corner" immediately after a game.

Was it the Wisconsin culture that forced the pick 6? Doubtful.
But it was the Rutgers culture that caused the illegal formation on the 1st punt? Without which the 2nd punt and TD never happens.

If we lose to Indiana, is that part of our culture?
Seems like it comes and goes based on game outcome.

This is one of those "after the fact" things people like to attribute success to way too early.

But it was the Rutgers culture that caused the illegal formation on the 1st punt? Without which the 2nd punt and TD never happens.

I think many of you guys are misreading where the "culture" comes into play. This is my interpretation of why culture is important and the philosophy of CHOP.
Rutgers was down after three quarters of terrible play by the scarlet knights, terrible calls by the refs, and terrible weather. They were down 24-6 early in the 4th quarter, many myself included, thought the game was essentially over. most of the fans at the stadium did also as by 4th quarter there were maybe 3-4 thousand fans left in the stands and under the overhangs.
Schianos philosophy of "just keep chopping" came into play because Rutgers exploded and played with such heart that even fans of rival teams and the national news couldn't help but notice and acknowledge how incredible a feat it was for Rutgers to stage the turnaround. We all know the outcome of game and it is one of the top five finishes for Rutgers football of the Schiano 1.0 and 2.0 eras.
Schiano got so emotional I think because he knew most of the fans had given up and to see his team overcome the adversity of the weather, score and fans he was overcome with emotion.
Schianos CHOP culture had his players keep on playing hard despite all the adversity this game presented. My only regret is I wish I was there.

Because the other guys on the board seem like such interesting party animals?
Oh there's definitely a select group here that would make the party at the Tri Lam house, pre-Booger "cigar joints," look like a full-blown rave lol!!

I think many of you guys are misreading where the "culture" comes into play. This is my interpretation of why culture is important and the philosophy of CHOP.
Rutgers was down after three quarters of terrible play by the scarlet knights, terrible calls by the refs, and terrible weather. They were down 24-6 early in the 4th quarter, many myself included, thought the game was essentially over. most of the fans at the stadium did also as by 4th quarter there were maybe 3-4 thousand fans left in the stands and under the overhangs.
Schianos philosophy of "just keep chopping" came into play because Rutgers exploded and played with such heart that even fans of rival teams and the national news couldn't help but notice and acknowledge how incredible a feat it was for Rutgers to stage the turnaround. We all know the outcome of game and it is one of the top five finishes for Rutgers football of the Schiano 1.0 and 2.0 eras.
Schiano got so emotional I think because he knew most of the fans had given up and to see his team overcome the adversity of the weather, score and fans he was overcome with emotion.
Schianos CHOP culture had his players keep on playing hard despite all the adversity this game presented. My only regret is I wish I was there.

What teams don't keep playing hard?
How many players are running into the line and falling down?
QBs just throwing the ball away to end the game?

Giants had a bigger comeback against the Cardinals.
Do the Giants have some amazing culture? Seems to be working out great on the field. At least we have the culture to comeback against the Cardnials.

If MSU ended up scoring on that last drive - there are zero national articles or threads about our culture and never quit attitude.

Reactions: tico brown
It is intangible but culture is essential to winning as it is a building block to believing one can or even should win, confidence is key.

I would guess anyone on this board who played a sport on any level can relate that they played better when they were in a relaxed, confident state vs. uncertain and tight.

Reactions: Bagarocks and csphi
The 4 guys who rushed the punter on back to back plays full speed despite being down 3 TDs in the 4 th quarter was culture, sorry. Keep Chopping personified. A lot of teams would not have put that effort in to get to the punter. Also, Amankwaa running down the field full speed and leaping in the air and holding the ball after getting whacked was also culture. A lot of weaker teams don’t make those plays in that situation. Our guys stayed mentally and physically focused despite the blowout because of culture.

Or if our punter didn't drop the ball. Works both ways.

I’ll fall back on my RU education: Culture is a necessary but not a sufficient condition.

Winning cultures get the most out of their players because the players WANT to get better and win for each other. Things like studying tape in their free time, being positive and methodological (keep chopping), making the right decisions off the field are all culture things.

Notice how we haven't really had any off field issues (knock on wood) since schiano has been here?

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
I side with you on this one as I get what you are saying. It is not an argument if GS teaches a great culture or not, the point is, we are not the only team with a great culture and who play to the last snap. Culture is also not the reason we win this game either. As you said, where was this culture last year then.

The other point- I see people mentioning the ST's brain farts on Mich St as part of culture...Where is the culture here when we try to catch a punt inside the 10 while having to dive to try to catch it instead of letting it possibly bounce into the endzone.

This game did show a team that refused to quit but that doesn't mean the culture is any different then so many other teams

What teams don't keep playing hard?
How many players are running into the line and falling down?
QBs just throwing the ball away to end the game?

Giants had a bigger comeback against the Cardinals.
Do the Giants have some amazing culture? Seems to be working out great on the field. At least we have the culture to comeback against the Cardnials.

If MSU ended up scoring on that last drive - there are zero national articles or threads about our culture and never quit attitude.
Exactly

A lot of losing teams, teams with bad chemistry, teams with issues off the field that are distractions don't play or prepare as hard.

I can tell who has and who hasn't played on a winning team before.

A lot of losing teams, teams with bad chemistry, teams with issues off the field that are distractions don't play or prepare as hard.

I can tell who has and who hasn't played on a winning team before.
Did the culture here change between a 4 win season where we were beat by a HC who was distracted beating off to a rape survivor and this season where we are 5-2 and poised for a Bowl berth?
I dare say that our 2022 and 2023 teams had the same culture.

I understand the thought process here as our HC has stayed consistent but I think there are small changes that have had an effect on culture for example the change at OC may have the boys playing better or seeing improvements in your QB or OL from year to year may build the belief that we are headed in the right direction.

I would even go so far as to say being more competitive in a 2023 loss vs. a 2022 blowout loss will have more players buying in to the program.

Schiano understands the importance of "bELieving" and I think it is paying off for him now.

Last edited:
I understand the thought process here as our HC has stayed consistent but I think there are small changes that have had an effect on culture for example the change at OC may have the boys playing better or seeing improvements in your QB or OL from year to year may build the belief that we are headed in the right direction.

I would even go so far as to say being more competitive in a 2023 loss vs. a 2022 blowout loss will have more players buying in to the program.

Schiano understands the importance of "bElieving" and I think it is paying off for him now.
You hit the nail- it wasn’t culture- maybe coaches like P Fitz for the OL was bigger. The culture was here and we always played to the last second…but now we have coaches who know how to put our players in position to succeed. There are so many teams with great cultures but have not won and shitty cultures that have.

Reactions: Shelby65
Did the culture here change between a 4 win season where we were beat by a HC who was distracted beating off to a rape survivor and this season where we are 5-2 and poised for a Bowl berth?
My point is that a team with a bad culture probably doesn't win as much as a team with a good culture with the same level of talent. Just look at these A&M teams that are absolutely loaded who are never even close to making the CFP.

My point is that a team with a bad culture probably doesn't win as much as a team with a good culture with the same level of talent. Just look at these A&M teams that are absolutely loaded who are never even close to making the CFP.
And you know it’s a culture problem. Gotcha. Since you are so knowledgeable, Do us all a favor and list just 5 other teams with culture inferior to ours. No rush.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT