ADVERTISEMENT

For Rutgers football, it was more than just big plays. It was a culture that won out

And you know it’s a culture problem. Gotcha. Since you are so knowledgeable, Do us all a favor and list just 5 other teams with culture inferior to ours. No rush.
Lol Google "Texas A&M football" and "arrested" and you have your answer.

Reactions: Bagarocks
And you know it’s a culture problem. Gotcha. Since you are so knowledgeable, Do us all a favor and list just 5 other teams with culture inferior to ours. No rush.
Well, Urben Meyer had a stone cold killer on his team and won.
Speaking of which- players in the NFL I know have told me that every team has that same type player and you all know who not to hang out with. And most have them have come from the winningness programs down south.
There are schools and fans that do care about culture, I am proud that we do. Many of the teams that win, the culture is- win at any cost. So, it depends on the culture you respects

Lol Google "Texas A&M football" and "arrested" and you have your answer.
I think the LOL is directed to you for the weak-ass answer. So you have no evidence of inadequate culture anywhere in the country except for TAMU arrests being the reason they are 2-2 in the SEC west. Great debate work there F Lee Bailey

Gotcha?? Really?? Culture is not and never will be an in the moment, game, week thing. You seem to be trying to put culture in an in the moment thing. Last year 4 wins has nothing to do with any wins this year. Every team, every company, every family, everything has a culture. How those within determines the outcome of that culture. Culture can always be negative or positive. It cannot be expected for anyone to list 5 teams with inferior cultures is not a comparison. It is what teams, companies etc do with “their” cultures that matters! History has shown team have won with cultures that are pretty suspect. If that works for them, good for them. We won a game because our “developing” culture (and folks hate to hear that term) is starting to put RU in a place to start winning games we are supposed to win. Are we there yet, no way. Will we ever get there, who knows, but we have a better shot with how this team continues to be developed and grow. That is culture.

I think the LOL is directed to you for the weak-ass answer. So you have no evidence of inadequate culture anywhere in the country except for TAMU arrests being the reason they are 2-2 in the SEC west. Great debate work there F Lee Bailey
A&M is a perfect example.

Another obvious example would be our two former bonehead coaches and their teams.

Our basketball team is another excellent example of a winning culture that kids want to be a part of.

Idk if you've ever actually played on a winning team before or even played sports in your life but nobody who's played on a winning team would agree with you. Culture is very important to winning.

Bart Scott said every team needs a few "goblins" on defense.
That doesn't mean a dirty Vontaze Burfict trying to injure
Some players just hate to lose and they'll hate you for trying to make it happen.
They have an extra intensity right on the border.

All that "FAMILY" stuff doesn't really get you there in any large way.
Culture is good for work habits and good character but sometimes you have to be a rule breaker
Devraun Thompson had that - hated to lose and was smart about finding the gap in the armor.
He had resovle and if you didn't have that same resolve going against him he would know it - and you would know he knew it .

Vs Louisville Schiano called a blitz to the left side but Thompson called one to the right instead. DT and Collins made a sack

"After the game Schiano asked me why I flipped it and I just said 'I didn't like it'. He just said 'Oh, OK'. If I had flipped it and we didn't make a play I would have been in trouble, but after four years, he knew what I was doing."

Man when you play defense with a savvy, tough LB like that you love it.
Its like being lost in the woods but there's one guy who always knows the right path
Its not family its make-up and DT had it when he got to RU from state title HS team.
That's the kind of players you want compared to Boy Scouts

They very best insight into all this comes from psychologist Jordan Peterson.
He discusses men with "the monster" inside thats under control, but still making waves

"Their presence radiates implicit potential for havoc..If you're harmless you're not virtuous - you're just harmless - like a rabbit (who gets eaten)...a hero has to be a monster - a controlled monster - but still a monster "

Last edited:
Not buying the premise. Our guys don’t work any harder. Other teams aren’t composed of quitters. Other coaches motivate.

Our guys just made more plays in the end.
I have a hard time understanding your logic,
With that in mind I am seriously trying to understand your perspective,
Have you ever participated in sports?
Have you ever been involved in team sports?
I want to understand your perspective a little better.

Reactions: sct1111
You’re missing the point. Are you saying we have a better culture than the 5 teams we beat and not as good a culture as the two teams we lost to ? Of course you aren’t.

How many wins did F.A.M.I.L.Y. get us ?

Wagner’s Sagarin is below 250. Terrible culture ?

Did the Braves have a better culture than the Phillies all season, but the Phillies culture was better in the playoffs ?

As in these examples, I am saying that culture isn’t what won the game on Saturday. That’s idiotic and you know better than that.
Team chemistry is responsible for championships across all sports on all levels
Ever hear of the 69 Mets
The opposite can be true as well.
It’s not the ultimate predictor of wins and losses, however it can play an integral part in determining a team, program or organization’s
Success.
It’s not even debatable

Last edited:
Reactions: sct1111
What teams don't keep playing hard?
How many players are running into the line and falling down?
QBs just throwing the ball away to end the game?

Giants had a bigger comeback against the Cardinals.
Do the Giants have some amazing culture? Seems to be working out great on the field. At least we have the culture to comeback against the Cardnials.

If MSU ended up scoring on that last drive - there are zero national articles or threads about our culture and never quit attitude.
You must have missed how Yukon lost their game on a blocked PAT. The outside blocker on the FG Protect team basically just stood up out of his stance and watched the defender run past him and eat the ball. Game over. He quit on the play and they lost the game. That could have happened here, but for culture. Our guys swarmed the fumbled punt because they still believed; they could have just hung back and stomped dirt when they realized what could have been. Same with the sky kick recovery.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT