ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Former RHoops G Jaden Jones has NBA workout with Charlotte Hornets

Jones getting drafted wouldn’t be a great look for us. I obviously don’t know all the inner details but him getting no playing time made no sense.

Reactions: NYSportsFan
The very sad thing is what if this kid actually played to this level and effort this past season as he was supposed to be. What effect does that have on an already very good year?
He deserves a pat on the back and a kick in the a$$.

Saying Rutgers developed him is a huge stretch and even if true him not playing still makes no sense.
Who developed him then? He's been at Rutgers for a season and a half and no other college. Rutgers bball coaches, training staff and strength and conditioning, practices, going against DPOY Caleb

Reactions: S_Janowski
I'm sticking to Jones not getting drafted.
I think his chances are higher than most think.

NBA drafts a lot based on potential, they’ll see a certain build and skill set and NBA will develop him since it’s such a different game.

It’s honestly one of the reasons I was surprised Cliff didn’t enter the draft. NBA teams had to have seen a big enough jump from year 1 to 2. Figured they would have wanted to take it from here.

NBA drafts a lot based on potential, they’ll see a certain build and skill set and NBA will develop him since it’s such a different game.

It’s honestly one of the reasons I was surprised Cliff didn’t enter the draft. NBA teams had to have seen a big enough jump from year 1 to 2. Figured they would have wanted to take it from here.
could be looked at as a possible 2nd round choice signed to a split contract while his game is being made NBA ready in the G-League

If he gets drafted i don’t even know what to say about our staff.
Two scenarios here:

If he was benched due to an off the court issue - you can’t blame the staff. They need to protect the program.

If he was benched due to lack of defense - you can’t blame the staff. They’ve built a program focused on defensive effort and shutting down the opposing team. This is the culture that has built up Rutgers’ success. It’s time for the fanbase to understand and accept that.

As a side note. We didn’t get to see a lot of Jaden, but his game reminded me of Jeremy Lamb a little bit.

Anything is certainly possible. Note however that there are currently over forty 18-19 year olds on the Top 100 draft boards. The NBA only drafts 60 players each year and Jaden is not currently assessed on almost all lists. There is minimal college game tape on him so NBA teams would be relying mostly on personal workouts and high school highlight tapes. I think many here are underestimating the sheer amount of high level talent & competition to be drafted. Cliff IMO has the talent and would possibly be a mid-late 2nd rounder in this draft. The value of staying in school is to increase his prospects with improved footwork as well as offensive range and post moves.

could be looked at as a possible 2nd round choice signed to a split contract while his game is being made NBA ready in the G-League

Here's a comparison to consider. Bryce McGowen is somewhere between a late first to mid-2nd round pick. If a second rounder he may also be a candidate for a split contract. How does Jaden stack up against this competition?

Jones getting drafted wouldn’t be a great look for us. I obviously don’t know all the inner details but him getting no playing time made no sense.
He did get playing time in the earlier part of the season. I assume you didn't watch him play because it was pretty clear that he didn't deserve pt ahead of the guys who did get the minutes as the season progressed.

Anything is certainly possible. Note however that there are currently over forty 18-19 year olds on the Top 100 draft boards. The NBA only drafts 60 players each year and Jaden is not currently assessed on almost all lists. There is minimal college game tape on him so NBA teams would be relying mostly on personal workouts and high school highlight tapes. I think many here are underestimating the sheer amount of high level talent & competition to be drafted. Cliff IMO has the talent and would possibly be a mid-late 2nd rounder in this draft. The value of staying in school is to increase his prospects with improved footwork as well as offensive range and post moves.

I think some people are under the impression that the NBA is 7 rounds deep lol. NBA draft is on potential but each team only gets 2 picks lol.

I’ll stick my my gut and not read too much into these “workouts” and would be SHOCKED if Jones got drafted.

Let me also say I’m not rooting against the kid and would love to be wrong.

Reactions: Eagleton96
He did get playing time in the earlier part of the season. I assume you didn't watch him play because it was pretty clear that he didn't deserve pt ahead of the guys who did get the minutes as the season progressed.
In what sense?

I keep seeing people say this and a lot of the times they point to his offensive output.

While I understand there’s more to a game than just stats, but statistically on the offensive side of the ball he wasn’t as bad as many think.

Here's a comparison to consider. Bryce McGowen is somewhere between a late first to mid-2nd round pick. If a second rounder he may also be a candidate for a split contract. How does Jaden stack up against this competition?
Good comparison. I don't see how McGowen is close to being NBA ready. Let alone being drafted where some "experts" place him. Both kids are head scratches to me. Jones more because of his lack of pt.

In what sense?

I keep seeing people say this and a lot of the times they point to his offensive output.

While I understand there’s more to a game than just stats, but statistically on the offensive side of the ball he wasn’t as bad as many think.
I actually give him a pass on his scoring because he probably felt the need to defer to the upperclassmen. It had more to do with his willingness to put out on the offensive glass, his overall defense, his passing, and perhaps his understanding of the offense (that's just a guess on my part). Hyatt, Maggie, Caleb, Miller all gave the team more energy and focus than Jones did, imo.

In what sense?

23% on 3 point shots is not bad?

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
He’s not getting drafted lol.
if not drafted by the NBA the workouts he attends might have an NBA team have their G-League affiliate sign him based on what they saw in the workouts ( like this one) he went to .
Also the workouts might help him get a spot in one of the NBA's Summer League teams.
That play starts in July , I believe.
Don't know if either possibility will happen, but being invited to workouts shows there's always a chance if Jaden proves he has the type of talent , in workout,that's worth a summer league /G-League spot

I'm no basketball talent evaluation expert.

But I do have 2 eyes and a brain.

I wish Jones all the luck in the world. But, from what I saw, there is no way he is getting drafted. And there is no way he will ever make an NBA roster.

I just don’t see Jaden Jones getting drafted as I question his footwork and quickness at the next level. He can shoot but will he be able to create his own shot? We will know soon enough but his not playing but minimal minutes at Rutgers is baffling however as someone intimated there had to be something else . Lack of D or perhaps he has a false belief in how good he was when he arrived. For Pikiell to limit his playing minutes shows it’s more than than just the physical part. Attitude in practice or perhaps toward teammates or staff.

The OP is really pushing Jones, the same he pushed Oskar Palmquist as a potential starter his redshirt freshmen year. This guy did not get an NBA or G League Combine invite.

How come we are not hearing about who is coming in to see Harper or his visits to teams?

yeah, kind of bizarre if you ask me.

Two scenarios here:

If he was benched due to an off the court issue - you can’t blame the staff. They need to protect the program.

If he was benched due to lack of defense - you can’t blame the staff. They’ve built a program focused on defensive effort and shutting down the opposing team. This is the culture that has built up Rutgers’ success. It’s time for the fanbase to understand and accept that.

As a side note. We didn’t get to see a lot of Jaden, but his game reminded me of Jeremy Lamb a little bit.
Agreed and I can't imagine him getting drafted (by the NBA, lol). He certainly has the height, athleticism and - maybe - shooting to get a look eventually (which is why I was so high on him before last season), but not yet. Contrary to popular opinion, one has to play defense in the NBA and he showed little desire to do that in his limited time last season.

I'm no basketball talent evaluation expert.

But I do have 2 eyes and a brain.

I wish Jones all the luck in the world. But, from what I saw, there is no way he is getting drafted. And there is no way he will ever make an NBA roster.

exactly. Saw nothing to suggest that when the lights turn on that he is a player. He shot poorly and brought no intangibles at all. Intensity was non-existent

Reactions: runner3283
23% on 3 point shots is not bad?
It’s not good, but note that our entire team struggled shooting the ball when he was playing.

If you go back and look at the numbers, he really only had two games that were really bad (and both games the entire team was really bad).

I really just think his game didn’t fit in/work here.

I actually give him a pass on his scoring because he probably felt the need to defer to the upperclassmen. It had more to do with his willingness to put out on the offensive glass, his overall defense, his passing, and perhaps his understanding of the offense (that's just a guess on my part). Hyatt, Maggie, Caleb, Miller all gave the team more energy and focus than Jones did, imo.
I don’t think we had an offense at that point in time. It was just iso ball and hoping we got a shot towards the end of the clock if the iso didn’t work (most of the time low percentage shot).

Agree with you on the other stuff, just think it was a bad fit. Guys like Mag work because it’s and effort/grinder mentality that plays directly into Pikes coaching style/culture.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT