ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Former RHoops G Jaden Jones has NBA workout with Charlotte Hornets

Ultimately, without saying anything negative about Jones (I don't have anything negative to say about Jones or his time at RU).....but these threads and everything highlight only one aspect of basketball, which is a catch and shoot aspect of a players game.

I think we all can agree that aspect of basketball is an isolated occurrence and probably makes up about 5 to 10% of what it takes to be a real Professional basketball player......OR it is maybe 15% of what it takes to be a starter at a Major College program.

These are highlights, designed to market and create some sort of buzz on a player who can shoot. But basketball highlights "should" show a complete aspect that actually translates to actual "real basketball ".

Are there highlights showing the player on the ball, creating a play for his teammates ??

Are there highlights showing the player crashing the boards for an offensive rebound??

Are there highlights showing the player playing through contact on a drive, where the player scores and has consistently made baskets, creating an "And-1".....where you score, and make the FT??

Are there highlights on the defensive end, that show how the player is committed to helping his teammates, by switching to defend a tougher offensive player??

Are there highlights showing a player, fighting through a screen, to get a hand up to make the offensive player, take a tougher shot??

Are there highlights, where the player is defending a smaller/quicker player and using his length to keep the player from scoring??

Are there highlights showing "time and score", where a play needs to be made and he gets a key rebound, a key blocked shot or altered shot?? Maybe a key deflection/tipped pass that leads to a turnover??

There is absolutely no way that a player will ever make the next level of basketball, by skipping college basketball and not showing any semblance that he can do any of the things above. If he cannot defend, rebound, make plays off the ball, make plays for his teammates on the ball, how is he going to eventually do that??

I think Jaden is an excellent player, when it comes to mastering the drills, the exercises, the "combine: aspect of basketball, when there aren't any other players on the court with you.

There is absolutely zero chance that a player can successfully play as a starter at a college level, unless he has some ideas on being at least average on defense or at least willing to show the effort that shows the intensity on defense.....why show all of the enthusiasm and intensity when running drills and in shooting drills and then show very lax or not as energetic film, when it comes to all the other aspects that make up a winning basketball player???

There are 2 ends of the court....offense and defense.....offense has nights off, where your shooting is not there.....if you're not making shots, what else can you do on the court??

I think these are great highlights, but any scout is going to look for the next steps....

The last and most important item, is mental toughness.....how mentally tough or resilient are you as a player??

I don't know what will happen if a player bodies up to a Jaden Jones type of player and pushes him off his spot.....steers him away from the basket....and if Jaden isn't able to stop anyone from scoring, how is he supposed to play anywhere??

Maybe someone at the next level is willing to pay a talented shooter and convince him that there are 2 ends of the court......OR

He could be the NBA version of former Michigan player, Duncan Robinson.....Robinson signed a 5 year/90M contract extension off of his bubble performance with the Miami Heat.

Robinson can't get on the court for Pat Riley, Eric Spolestra and the Heat.....because he's too slow, not tough enough, not committed enough to showing the footspeed to be a willing defender.....he is bolted to the bench because he's going to give up WAY more points than his potential 3 point shooting will provide.

You cannot play a Jaden Jones on this level of basketball, unless he showed a willingness to do something else, other than be great in drills. That's not legitimate basketball and not every player understands that.
Great detailed take on what it takes to be a winning player vs hype.

A scout that is doing their job, is going to pour over game tape......what will they see when they watch Jaden against sub par mid or low majors??
A little confused with your take on Duncan Robinson. Was that tongue n cheek or you don’t think he defends?

Reactions: RUsojo
Kcg - what does shooting 23% from 3 and 36% overall (in addition to not grasping the defensive schemes) have to do with Pike and Jaden not seeing eye to eye? He had plenty of early opportunities to prove his worth. Outside of playing well (mostly in garbage time) in the Illinois game -he earned his spot on the bench based on in game performance. It’s not like he was shooting well and scoring a ton but Pike still benched him because of the defense. He sat because he wasn’t contributing on either end. No other reason.

I'm no basketball talent evaluation expert.

But I do have 2 eyes and a brain.

I wish Jones all the luck in the world. But, from what I saw, there is no way he is getting drafted. And there is no way he will ever make an NBA roster.
Never say never. Lots of guys who don't start In the NBA find a spot in the league after playing elsewhere. Jaden is very talented but his experience is minimal. I would be shocked if he's drafted, but it doesn't mean they can't stash him for a few years in the D league or elsewhere and let him develop.

Kcg - what does shooting 23% from 3 and 36% overall (in addition to not grasping the defensive schemes) have to do with Pike and Jaden not seeing eye to eye? He had plenty of early opportunities to prove his worth. Outside of playing well (mostly in garbage time) in the Illinois game -he earned his spot on the bench based on in game performance. It’s not like he was shooting well and scoring a ton but Pike still benched him because of the defense. He sat because he wasn’t contributing on either end. No other reason.
Do not quote a 30 shot sample size as if it's meaningful.

You don't bury a freshman on the bench and never bring him back because of 120 mediocre minutes. Otherwise Caleb McConnell would've never gotten a chance here. Jones, Palmquist, Hyatt, and Miller all had stretches where they hurt the team much more than they helped but only Jones out of that group never sniffed the court in the second half of the year. There's obviously more going on.

Reactions: gregkoko
Do not quote a 30 shot sample size as if it's meaningful.

You don't bury a freshman on the bench and never bring him back because of 120 mediocre minutes. Otherwise Caleb McConnell would've never gotten a chance here. Jones, Palmquist, Hyatt, and Miller all had stretches where they hurt the team much more than they helped but only Jones out of that group never sniffed the court in the second half of the year. There's obviously more going on.
They weren’t mediocre showings. They were awful showings. It would’ve been different if he was making shots to offset his poor defense - but he wasn’t. Pike needed to turn the season around and he couldn’t do that with a kid who routinely left perimeter shooters wide open playing big minutes.

Hyatt played a different position. We had no better options at the 4. He played in relief there. Miller was used for a specific purpose in limited action when we needed another ball handler and/or servicable perimeter defender in the game due to foul trouble. Jones couldn’t provide this. There simply wasn’t a role that we needed to bring him in because we had no other options like the others.

They weren’t mediocre showings. They were awful showings. It would’ve been different if he was making shots to offset his poor defense - but he wasn’t. Pike needed to turn the season around and he couldn’t do that with a kid who routinely left perimeter shooters wide open playing big minutes.

Hyatt played a different position. We had no better options at the 4. He played in relief there. Miller was used for a specific purpose in limited action when we needed another ball handler and/or servicable perimeter defender in the game due to foul trouble. Jones couldn’t provide this. There simply wasn’t a role that we needed to bring him in because we had no other options like the others.
They were not awful showings. His offensive rating was 99.4. I agree he looked lost on defense but he wasn't Souf Mensah out there.

I'm not saying Pikiell was wrong to bench him. I'm just saying that it's pretty clear the reasons for that run deeper than what happened on the court.

He has the tools to grow into a nba game. 6'8, shooting, ball handling. He seemed to be a true gym rat, and put on alot of strength - in just one off season. Wasn't it said he put on like 25pds or something. I was hoping he had a chance to play freely through his mistakes - because he was our best young player for the future. He has a Kyle Anderson game - who has had a sustained NBA career. Jaden could've been fire power off the bench for us this year. Oh well

Kyle Anderson was a McDonalds All American, Parade All American first team, collegiate All American. He has an elite basketball IQ and point guard skills and has developed a completely unique play style. Just because they’re both tall and skinny doesn’t make them a point for comparison.

Can’t believe there are 3 pages discussing this. Draft workouts are as much for filling summer league rosters (that don’t pan out for roster spots almost ever) as anything else. The sources commenting on the workouts are Richie and Zagsblog who are starved for content right now. No shot Jones is drafted

Reactions: TRU2RU
Kyle Anderson was a McDonalds All American, Parade All American first team, collegiate All American. He has an elite basketball IQ and point guard skills and has developed a completely unique play style. Just because they’re both tall and skinny doesn’t make them a point for comparison.

Can’t believe there are 3 pages discussing this. Draft workouts are as much for filling summer league rosters (that don’t pan out for roster spots almost ever) as anything else. The sources commenting on the workouts are Richie and Zagsblog who are starved for content right now. No shot Jones is drafted
Lmao "skinny." Hop on the floor and hoop with 6'8 225-230pds players, and tryin get in their way. You'll reevaluate that skinny thought. Kyle was an advanced prospect. I mentioned Jaden as a developmental nba prospect. Kyle Anderson is just what I could see him becoming, maybe he becomes nothing. Idc honestly

Me and my buddy referred to Jaden as Kevin Knox when he was in the game. But honestly, that is an insult to Kevin Knox.

Reactions: Scangg
They were not awful showings. His offensive rating was 99.4. I agree he looked lost on defense but he wasn't Souf Mensah out there.

I'm not saying Pikiell was wrong to bench him. I'm just saying that it's pretty clear the reasons for that run deeper than what happened on the court.
The defense was awful and the offense was mediocre at best (combined with the bad defense - that nets to unplayable if we had any hope of being competitive). That’s how he wound up on the bench. It started in the Purdue game where without Geo he only saw 7 minutes of PT, missed 2 free throws as well as his only shot - we won that game. Again without Geo on the road, Pike saw we were a heck of a lot more competitive at Seton Hall than at Illinois with Jones sitting. So again Jones didn’t play much. Then Geo came back and there was even less of a role for him. I’m not sure why some folks think there’s a ton more to it than that. He was beat out for PT by other guys who were producing or filled a specific role that he couldn’t fill.

one thing we are forgetting when it comes to draftabilaty.
He might not have shown that at RU, but might impress enough ,at workouts like this, to be considered a 2nd round pick for a team willing to gamble on developing him.
More than likely not, but being invited to workout makes me think it's a possibility , even if a slim one

He might not have shown that at RU, but might impress enough ,at workouts like this, to be considered a 2nd round pick for a team willing to gamble on developing him.
More than likely not, but being invited to workout makes me think it's a possibility , even if a slim one
He has no shot, there are so many players ahead of him. Not one draft site has him in the draft or anywhere on the fringe. Teams bring in many players for workouts, they only draft 2.

Or his dad has connections and the workout is a favor. There are 76 players invited to the combine where their skills will be showcased for scouts. Another group will be showcased in the G league combine. That doesn’t even include the top kids who decline the combine invite because they know they are lottery picks.

So even assuming he were to beat out every single kid that didn’t fall into the categories above - there are a total of 60 spots for everyone in total. He’s not getting drafted.

Last edited:
Ultimately, without saying anything negative about Jones (I don't have anything negative to say about Jones or his time at RU).....but these threads and everything highlight only one aspect of basketball, which is a catch and shoot aspect of a players game.

I think we all can agree that aspect of basketball is an isolated occurrence and probably makes up about 5 to 10% of what it takes to be a real Professional basketball player......OR it is maybe 15% of what it takes to be a starter at a Major College program.

These are highlights, designed to market and create some sort of buzz on a player who can shoot. But basketball highlights "should" show a complete aspect that actually translates to actual "real basketball ".

Are there highlights showing the player on the ball, creating a play for his teammates ??

Are there highlights showing the player crashing the boards for an offensive rebound??

Are there highlights showing the player playing through contact on a drive, where the player scores and has consistently made baskets, creating an "And-1".....where you score, and make the FT??

Are there highlights on the defensive end, that show how the player is committed to helping his teammates, by switching to defend a tougher offensive player??

Are there highlights showing a player, fighting through a screen, to get a hand up to make the offensive player, take a tougher shot??

Are there highlights, where the player is defending a smaller/quicker player and using his length to keep the player from scoring??

Are there highlights showing "time and score", where a play needs to be made and he gets a key rebound, a key blocked shot or altered shot?? Maybe a key deflection/tipped pass that leads to a turnover??

There is absolutely no way that a player will ever make the next level of basketball, by skipping college basketball and not showing any semblance that he can do any of the things above. If he cannot defend, rebound, make plays off the ball, make plays for his teammates on the ball, how is he going to eventually do that??

I think Jaden is an excellent player, when it comes to mastering the drills, the exercises, the "combine: aspect of basketball, when there aren't any other players on the court with you.

There is absolutely zero chance that a player can successfully play as a starter at a college level, unless he has some ideas on being at least average on defense or at least willing to show the effort that shows the intensity on defense.....why show all of the enthusiasm and intensity when running drills and in shooting drills and then show very lax or not as energetic film, when it comes to all the other aspects that make up a winning basketball player???

There are 2 ends of the court....offense and defense.....offense has nights off, where your shooting is not there.....if you're not making shots, what else can you do on the court??

I think these are great highlights, but any scout is going to look for the next steps....

The last and most important item, is mental toughness.....how mentally tough or resilient are you as a player??

I don't know what will happen if a player bodies up to a Jaden Jones type of player and pushes him off his spot.....steers him away from the basket....and if Jaden isn't able to stop anyone from scoring, how is he supposed to play anywhere??

Maybe someone at the next level is willing to pay a talented shooter and convince him that there are 2 ends of the court......OR

He could be the NBA version of former Michigan player, Duncan Robinson.....Robinson signed a 5 year/90M contract extension off of his bubble performance with the Miami Heat.

Robinson can't get on the court for Pat Riley, Eric Spolestra and the Heat.....because he's too slow, not tough enough, not committed enough to showing the footspeed to be a willing defender.....he is bolted to the bench because he's going to give up WAY more points than his potential 3 point shooting will provide.

You cannot play a Jaden Jones on this level of basketball, unless he showed a willingness to do something else, other than be great in drills. That's not legitimate basketball and not every player understands that.
Contrary to common misconceptions about the NBA, defense is played there, and it's played at an exponentially higher level than it's played in elite college conferences. A below average defender will have trouble making a roster unless he's a lights-out-lead-the-league-in-scoring type. Even those types of NBA players are at least serviceable team defenders.

Reactions: drewbagel423
Compare what James Harden did and was allowed to do on defense in the playoffs to what is happening every night in the NHL.

If for some reason Jones stays in the draft: this board is going to lose their minds if Jaden gets drafted late in the 2nd round and RHJ does not.

Note - don't think this is even close to happening but it would be a fun 24 hours on the board.
We are not going to care.

Reactions: Rokodesh
He was not given a fair shot in any sense of the word. It might be his own fault, but his chances were a fraction of other players. Again, perhaps he did something to warrant the lack of play time, but what I saw did not warrant zero play time by any stretch of anyones imagination….and if Jaden said he’s leaving regardless, than Kudos to pike for not playing him.
Says who....We're you at practices. In his classes? I watched every game and the times I saw him on the court and I did not see what you see. Yes his videos look good but everyone's video looks good when they edit them and shoot 100%. He played most minutes against Illinois, Clemson, CCS, and UMASS. Illinois and was 4-14 and Clemson he was 2-9, UMass he was 5-9 but 1-5 from 3, Lehigh was 2-5, Lafayette 1-6, Purdue 0-1 from field and 0-2 line. Maine 0-3, CCS 2-7 but 1-6 from 3. After that he did not play much. Was it attitude or Pike? #'s do not lie.

Jaden Jones
62 points in 174 minutes.
FG shots was 24-66
3 pt. shots were 7-30
FT 7-10
Assists - 3
Boards - 20

I was hoping he would stay, mature and improve his game but not sure how Pike is at fault here if you say he is a star.

Says who....We're you at practices. In his classes? I watched every game and the times I saw him on the court and I did not see what you see. Yes his videos look good but everyone's video looks good when they edit them and shoot 100%. He played most minutes against Illinois, Clemson, CCS, and UMASS. Illinois and was 4-14 and Clemson he was 2-9, UMass he was 5-9 but 1-5 from 3, Lehigh was 2-5, Lafayette 1-6, Purdue 0-1 from field and 0-2 line. Maine 0-3, CCS 2-7 but 1-6 from 3. After that he did not play much. Was it attitude or Pike? #'s do not lie.

Jaden Jones
62 points in 174 minutes.
FG shots was 24-66
3 pt. shots were 7-30
FT 7-10
Assists - 3
Boards - 20

I was hoping he would stay, mature and improve his game but not sure how Pike is at fault here if you say he is a star.
Okay now do the rest of the team for those games please.

He maybe had 1 bad game where the rest of the team was average.

His other bad games, the entire team looked like crap.

Context is important.

Okay now do the rest of the team for those games please.

He maybe had 1 bad game where the rest of the team was average.

His other bad games, the entire team looked like crap.

Context is important.
Jaden had 3 Assists on the season and does not play D.

I thought this thread was about the proclaimed Star that you are all raving about.

He had one decent statistical game against UMASS and is not even a true freshman.

Jalen had 8 Assists, 7 steals, 15 boards as a true freshman. Jaden had 3 Assists, 2 Steals, and 20 boards. Jalen also played in more stressful games that mattered even if for only a few minutes to handle the ball.

Last edited:
Jaden had 3 Assists on the season and des not play D.

I thought this thread was about the proclaimed Star that you are all raving about.

He had one decent statistical game against UMASS and is not even a true freshman.

Jalen had 8 Assists, 7 steals, 15 boards as a true freshman. Jaden had 3 Assists, 2 Steals, and 15 boards and played in stressful games that mattered even if for a few minutes to handle ball.
You’re using offensive stats to justify his lack of playing time, but that doesn’t work considering the offensive output from the other players during those games.

I agree it was defense related, but you have to admit it was a supppppper short leash.

You’re using offensive stats to justify his lack of playing time, but that doesn’t work considering the offensive output from the other players during those games.

I agree it was defense related, but you have to admit it was a supppppper short leash.
But it’s a combination of the 2. You can’t only look at one OR the other. There was a reason Caleb continued to play with the Yips. As bad as he was, it hurt us a ton on the other end when he wasn’t on the court for defense. If you stink at defense, you can’t be bad on offense and still get PT. Your on a tighter leash if you can’t defend.

But it’s a combination of the 2. You can’t only look at one OR the other. There was a reason Caleb continued to play with the Yips. As bad as he was, it hurt us a ton on the other end when he wasn’t on the court for defense. If you stink at defense, you can’t be bad on offense and still get PT. Your on a tighter leash if you can’t defend.
Absolutely agree, but again in those early games our team wasn’t doing anything.

Players couldn’t hit the side of a barn and they played defense like they were running in sand.

I agree that in general his defense was subpar, but it’s not we were playing great individual/team defense across the board during those games.

Again, super short leash IMO. I think he could have brought value down the stretch when we had 0 bench points. Never argued for him to see massive minutes, just didn’t understand why Pike kept him buried as if he would bring zero value.

Absolutely agree, but again in those early games our team wasn’t doing anything.

Players couldn’t hit the side of a barn and they played defense like they were running in sand.

I agree that in general his defense was subpar, but it’s not we were playing great individual/team defense across the board during those games.

Again, super short leash IMO. I think he could have brought value down the stretch when we had 0 bench points. Never argued for him to see massive minutes, just didn’t understand why Pike kept him buried as if he would bring zero value.
You would be the same guy complaining about Pike if leaving Jaden in more games led to the team losing other games

What does this mean? What does Harden do? I didn't watch but Harden is the worst. Painful to watch
Means watch the NHL playoffs and not the NBA playoffs.

I havent watched a single play of the NBA, but I real that Harden disappeared offensively in the deciding game and his defense was way worse than his offense. There were players with some bad quotes.

NHL playoffs are intense and everyone on the ice is giving it their all.

Reactions: Scangg
Pike's job #1 is to win games, not to develop NBA prospects. JJ flashed offensively a few times early in the season, in particular when the rest of the O was in a stretch of putrid play which made him look even better. But he was definitely beat out by Mag, Hyatt and Rieber for PT.

If the kid had a lot of talent should Pike have invested in him at least a little? Maybe. But my guess is Pike knew he wasn't going to be sticking around and fighting to earn his minutes the old fashioned way. So why would pike invest game minutes in the kid over other players that were going to stick around?

Also, last season was on the brink of disaster. So in particular there was no margin for error to be messing around with a kid that didn't rebound, defend, or do anything else above average.

The whole point of a one and done is that the kid is good enough to contribute right away. One and done types do not struggle against low major teams and look lost. Pike isn't running an NBA developmental team. This is not AAA baseball where winning doesn't matter as much as developing prospects for the next level. So if the kid isn't very likely to stick around and develop for Rutgers, there is no logic in investing game minutes in him. Pike's job is to win games for the University and its fans. Win games.

Last edited:

That’s not true. The weak link on defense was Jones - defending the perimeter. Actually, it was Jaden and Hyatt. When one of them played there we couldn’t stop anyone. When Geo returned and the perimeter rotation became mostly Geo, Paul, Caleb with Miller getting a few filler minutes and Mag shifting to defend a perimeter spot when one of the 3 starters sat, the perimeter defense improved 10 fold.

Hyatt continued to see back up playing time because Pike mostly shifted him to defend a front court player instead. He didn’t play much perimeter defense late in the season. Jones wasn’t strong enough to defend forwards. He literally was unplayable on defense. That’s why he sat. Had he lit it up Steph Curry style on offense in his opportunities maybe that would’ve compensated. But you don’t continue to play a kid that you know hurts you on defense unless the offense they bring to the table is expected to be sensational. Jaden didn’t show that to be the case, so he sat.

That’s not true. The weak link on defense was Jones - defending the perimeter. Actually, it was Jaden and Hyatt. When one of them played there we couldn’t stop anyone. When Geo returned and the perimeter rotation became mostly Geo, Paul, Caleb with Miller getting a few filler minutes and Mag shifting to defend a perimeter spot when one of the 3 starters sat, the perimeter defense improved 10 fold.

Hyatt continued to see back up playing time because Pike mostly shifted him to defend a front court player instead. He didn’t play much perimeter defense late in the season. Jones wasn’t strong enough to defend forwards. He literally was unplayable on defense. That’s why he sat. Had he lit it up Steph Curry style on offense in his opportunities maybe that would’ve compensated. But you don’t continue to play a kid that you know hurts you on defense unless the offense they bring to the table is expected to be sensational. Jaden didn’t show that to be the case, so he sat.
You also don't continue to invest minutes to develop a kid that both doesn't help you right now, and isn't going to stick around.

Last edited:
Means watch the NHL playoffs and not the NBA playoffs.

I havent watched a single play of the NBA, but I real that Harden disappeared offensively in the deciding game and his defense was way worse than his offense. There were players with some bad quotes.

NHL playoffs are intense and everyone on the ice is giving it their all.
Yeah I got that. But what was the context of the comparison to Jaden? Are you saying that he’d fit in as an NBA player because of the lack of defense? I’m not a huge NBA fan myself, but I suspect there’s more defense played than your giving credit for. The players are just so much better on offense than at the college level it probably just seems like there’s less emphasis. From the limited amount of NBA that I watch, I’d feel pretty comfortable assessing that there would be a pretty large gap between the worst current defensive NBA player and the level of Jaden’s Rutgers defense.

Maybe the workout video earlier in this thread isn't a good indicator, but it seems like Jaden's foot speed is a little below average for an NBA guard or SF.

This is somewhat off topic, but since Jaden is listed, here's a list of NBA teams and the known players that each team has brought in for workouts so far...

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-draft-workout-tracker-where-are-prospects-going/

Last edited:
Reactions: runrutgersrun
Yeah I got that. But what was the context of the comparison to Jaden? Are you saying that he’d fit in as an NBA player because of the lack of defense? I’m not a huge NBA fan myself, but I suspect there’s more defense played than your giving credit for. The players are just so much better on offense than at the college level it probably just seems like there’s less emphasis. From the limited amount of NBA that I watch, I’d feel pretty comfortable assessing that there would be a pretty large gap between the worst current defensive NBA player and the level of Jaden’s Rutgers defense.
Not really saying much.....

I suppose I am not really qualified here as I don't/can't watch the NBA. It appears it is a league that demands good shooting from long range. We don't have enough of a sample size to come to any conclusions on his shooting. We know he is long and we know he didn't get out on shooters and we know he is young.

Given that, unfortunately, the college game is morphing in to the NBA it isn't a good sign he couldn't see the court on a team that needed more scoring. The major difference is the ridiculous good shooting in the NBA and the ability utilize moving screens to get players open. I just don't know how you can play good defense with great shooting and moving screens.

The NHL has the same flow the NBA used to have. The Pittsburgh Penguins lost game 7 because a defenseman sat with the puck too long and it resulted in a 2 on 1 the other way with a penalty called. In the NBA and NCAA hoops the ball is stopped waiting from a high screen or if there is transition players are spotting up 25 feet from the goal.

Not really saying much.....

I suppose I am not really qualified here as I don't/can't watch the NBA. It appears it is a league that demands good shooting from long range. We don't have enough of a sample size to come to any conclusions on his shooting. We know he is long and we know he didn't get out on shooters and we know he is young.

Given that, unfortunately, the college game is morphing in to the NBA it isn't a good sign he couldn't see the court on a team that needed more scoring. The major difference is the ridiculous good shooting in the NBA and the ability utilize moving screens to get players open. I just don't know how you can play good defense with great shooting and moving screens.

The NHL has the same flow the NBA used to have. The Pittsburgh Penguins lost game 7 because a defenseman sat with the puck too long and it resulted in a 2 on 1 the other way with a penalty called. In the NBA and NCAA hoops the ball is stopped waiting from a high screen or if there is transition players are spotting up 25 feet from the goal.

For someone who does not care nor watch the NBA, you sure express a significant amount of opinions and insights on the specifics of how the NBA game and players are currently playing.

And I acknowledge that.

What I’m saying is there are a lot of people ITT that are citing offensive stats as a reason why he wasn’t good and that he brought nothing to the table because his defense was bad.

My point is that offensively his numbers weren’t THAT bad, and his bad games everyone played poorly offensively. It’s not like he was the odd man out.

The only take is that he could have brought some value to the team down the stretch, specifically in the NCAA tournament when we couldn’t stop ND at all. Any production off the bench would have helped.

I find it odd that he was just buried as if he couldn’t play basketball. Didn’t we have Hyatt, Mag, and Miller on the court together at one point during the tournament.

Just thought it was weird the dude was glued to his seat when his production didn’t warrant that IMO.

Reactions: kcg88
And I acknowledge that.

What I’m saying is there are a lot of people ITT that are citing offensive stats as a reason why he wasn’t good and that he brought nothing to the table because his defense was bad.

My point is that offensively his numbers weren’t THAT bad, and his bad games everyone played poorly offensively. It’s not like he was the odd man out.

The only take is that he could have brought some value to the team down the stretch, specifically in the NCAA tournament when we couldn’t stop ND at all. Any production off the bench would have helped.

I find it odd that he was just buried as if he couldn’t play basketball. Didn’t we have Hyatt, Mag, and Miller on the court together at one point during the tournament.

Just thought it was weird the dude was glued to his seat when his production didn’t warrant that IMO.
By the end, it may have been known he was looking to leave.

By the end, it may have been known he was looking to leave.
Probably true, hard to blame the kid IMO.

I just think he absolutely got a raw deal here and wouldn’t be surprised to see him as a 12-15PPG kid elsewhere.

Likely will still struggle defensively, but his new coach will do some things to limit the damage IMO.

Probably true, hard to blame the kid IMO.

I just think he absolutely got a raw deal here and wouldn’t be surprised to see him as a 12-15PPG kid elsewhere.

Likely will still struggle defensively, but his new coach will do some things to limit the damage IMO.
Hard to blame Pike for not giving him minutes based on his on-court performance and the fact that he obviously didn't have a strong commitment to staying at Rutgers and developing here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT