ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Former RHoops G Jaden Jones has NBA workout with Charlotte Hornets

For someone who does not care nor watch the NBA, you sure express a significant amount of opinions and insights on the specifics of how the NBA game and players are currently playing.
Just venting. Basketball can be such a beautiful game and I see it rapidly going downhill. I see the college game more and more morphing towards the NBA and it really saddens me. 20 years ago I would never have imagined I would be watching the NHL playoffs over the NBA.

My prediction, by June 1st Jaden will announce he's decided to return to college and is in the process of deciding the program we will go to.

My prediction, by June 1st Jaden will announce he's decided to return to college and is in the process of deciding the program we will go to.
Doubt it, he can’t really enter the transfer portal. I think there’s like no chance he returns to college. Could see him get a G-League spot

But he'll be a sit-out transfer if he leaves RU for another D1, correct? Wouldn't be surprised if ends up at a high level juco, declares for draft again after that season, and ends up at SMU if he's not picked-up by G-League.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Just venting. Basketball can be such a beautiful game and I see it rapidly going downhill. I see the college game more and more morphing towards the NBA and it really saddens me. 20 years ago I would never have imagined I would be watching the NHL playoffs over the NBA.
About the same. While I WATCHED the NHL - partiularly the Rangers - I wouldn't watch much OTHER THAN The Rangers over the NBA. Now, forget it, I find the NBA 100% unwatchable.

Reactions: Scangg
And I acknowledge that.

What I’m saying is there are a lot of people ITT that are citing offensive stats as a reason why he wasn’t good and that he brought nothing to the table because his defense was bad.

My point is that offensively his numbers weren’t THAT bad, and his bad games everyone played poorly offensively. It’s not like he was the odd man out.

The only take is that he could have brought some value to the team down the stretch, specifically in the NCAA tournament when we couldn’t stop ND at all. Any production off the bench would have helped.

I find it odd that he was just buried as if he couldn’t play basketball. Didn’t we have Hyatt, Mag, and Miller on the court together at one point during the tournament.

Just thought it was weird the dude was glued to his seat when his production didn’t warrant that IMO.
At Illinois he was 4-14
Clemson he was 2-9
UMass he was 5-9 but 1-5 from 3
Lehigh he was 2-5
Lafayette he was 1-6
Purdue 0-1 from field and 0-2 line. Maine he was 0-3
CCS he was 2-7 but 1-6 from 3.

Jaden Jones Career
62 points in 174 minutes.
FG shots was 24-66
3 pt. shots he was 7-30
FT 7-10
Assists - 3
Steals - 2
Boards - 20

Plus add No Defense. He probably gave up more points than he scored.

At Illinois he was 4-14
Clemson he was 2-9
UMass he was 5-9 but 1-5 from 3
Lehigh he was 2-5
Lafayette he was 1-6
Purdue 0-1 from field and 0-2 line. Maine he was 0-3
CCS he was 2-7 but 1-6 from 3.

Jaden Jones Career
62 points in 174 minutes.
FG shots was 24-66
3 pt. shots he was 7-30
FT 7-10
Assists - 3
Steals - 2
Boards - 20

Plus add No Defense. He probably gave up more points than he scored.
Okay but this is completely being taken out of context.

Clemson is the only game he played poorly in (statistically speaking) relative to the rest of the team.

Post the stats of the other players in those games. They all played like crap and shot poorly. I know this because I’ve already looked myself. (And by the way they all played defense poorly in those games).

Maybe Jaden was killing the offensive rhythm (highly doubt that considering we were playing iso ball for much of the season). Maybe it was just the lack of defense.

All I’m saying is personally I don’t believe his play early in the year should have had him glued to the bench. And using his offensive stats to justify that is not logical considering the entire team shot like crap in those games.

It’s okay to trust Pike in his decision to bench him for the year, I just think it’s weird and we could have used him at the end of the year. That’s all.

Clemson is the only game he played poorly in (statistically speaking) relative to the rest of the team.

Post the stats of the other players in those games. They all played like crap and shot poorly. I know this because I’ve already looked myself. (And by the way they all played defense poorly in those games).

Maybe Jaden was killing the offensive rhythm (highly doubt that considering we were playing iso ball for much of the season). Maybe it was just the lack of defense.

All I’m saying is personally I don’t believe his play early in the year should have had him glued to the bench. And using his offensive stats to justify that is not logical considering the entire team shot like crap in those games.

It’s okay to trust Pike in his decision to bench him for the year, I just think it’s weird and we could have used him at the end of the year. That’s all.
He didn’t play well at all this year. That’s why he didn’t play. It’s pretty simple.

He didn’t play well at all this year. That’s why he didn’t play. It’s pretty simple.
I just don’t accept that, I’m sorry but the entire team was playing like crap that point in the season. We lost to Lafayette, remember?

Why does he get glued to the bench for that and no one else does?

Regardless, this is going to play out over time. I’ll be watching his career wherever he ends up.

I just don’t accept that, I’m sorry but the entire team was playing like crap that point in the season. We lost to Lafayette, remember?

Regardless, this is going to play out over time. I’ll be watching his career wherever he ends up.

No - the other players outside of Hyatt only stood out as being really bad on offense. That’s the difference. Caleb couldn’t buy a basket. Geo wasn’t much better. But everyone else’s defense was servicable until Jones and/or Hyatt checked into the games. The only exception was Merrimack who wasn’t able to score even when left completely unguarded. Hyatt looked better when moved to the 4.

The point you seem to be missing is just how much Jaden was hurting us on defense when he checked in. Don’t worry - it’s not just you. There were a lot of fans that thought he should’ve been playing more. Green and I knew better. We kept saying he needs to work on the defense. He never did.

Context? These are the stats.

Again we are not discussing the other players. We are talking about your star player Jaden.

How are the #'s good for IL and CCS and Lafayette. Had the star not shot 1-6 (16.7%) maybe we win and how many points did he give up on D.

He shot 7-30 (23%) from the 3-point arc on the season. For a 4-star player and a full year prior to practice on the collegiate level you seem delusional.

Last edited:
No - the other players outside of Hyatt only stood out as being really bad on offense. That’s the difference. Caleb couldn’t buy a basket. Geo wasn’t much better. But everyone else’s defense was servicable until Jones and/or Hyatt checked into the games. The only exception was Merrimack who wasn’t able to score even when left completely unguarded. Hyatt looked better when moved to the 4.

The point you seem to be missing is just how much Jaden was hurting us on defense when he checked in. Don’t worry - it’s not just you. There were a lot of fans that thought he should’ve been playing more. Green and I knew better. We kept saying he needs to work on the defense. He never did.
I mean we gave up 85 to UMass. That’s not the fault of one player.

Lafayette we gave up 53. That’s not the fault of defense. That’s the fault of the team dragging their feet through a snoozer of a game.

Illinois not a single person on the team showed up.

I stand firm in my belief he should have gotten more time and opportunities. I don’t blame him for leaving the program, I would have done the same.

Again, this is something that will develop over time. I could very easily see him being a productive player on a Big East team and many here will end up scratching their heads.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
Again we are not discussing the other players. We are talking your star player Jaden.

How are the #'s good for IL and CCS and Lafayette.

How many points did he give up on D.
How can you not mention the production of the other players? Like what?

He’s a freshman and you’re saying he should have been glued to the bench because his production was crap, but you’re going to ignore the fact that in those same games your senior leaders with loads of minutes of experience also played like crap?

What are we talking about here?

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
They were not awful showings. His offensive rating was 99.4. I agree he looked lost on defense but he wasn't Souf Mensah out there.

I'm not saying Pikiell was wrong to bench him. I'm just saying that it's pretty clear the reasons for that run deeper than what happened on the court.
Being lost on defense doesn’t earn anyone (except Bohanon) playing time in the B1G.

Are you the president of the Jaden Jones fan club?

I mean we gave up 85 to UMass. That’s not the fault of one player.

Lafayette we gave up 53. That’s not the fault of defense. That’s the fault of the team dragging their feet through a snoozer of a game.

Illinois not a single person on the team showed up.

I stand firm in my belief he should have gotten more time and opportunities. I don’t blame him for leaving the program, I would have done the same.

Again, this is something that will develop over time. I could very easily see him being a productive player on a Big East team and many here will end up scratching their heads.
Either he or Hyatt was in for most of UMass. A big reason we gave up 86 points.

Go back and watch the other games. Scoring droughts for the opponents literally ended the first possession after he’d check in routinely. He was truly unplayable on defense.

Reactions: Scarlet83

He’s a freshman and you’re saying he should have been glued to the bench because his production was crap, but you’re going to ignore the fact that in those same games your senior leaders with loads of minutes of experience also played like crap?

Was he a true freshman? No
He had 1-1/2 years to work on D and learn how to penetrate and pass.

Jalen was a true freshman who could contribute what the team needed against the best competition.

If you cannot contribute you do not play.

No dude. He’s saying that because his defense was so damn bad he couldn’t also underperform at offense and continue to see time (in the hope he’d play through it and start making shots). Now in fairness, we may have had more breathing room if we hadn’t lost those early games.

The bottom line is if his perimeter defense looked like Miller’s he would’ve continued to see plenty of time despite those poor early shooting numbers. He wasn’t sitting because of his offense.

No dude. He’s saying that because his defense was so damn bad he couldn’t also underperform at offense and continue to see time (in the hope he’d play through it and start making shots). Now in fairness, we may have had more breathing room if we hadn’t lost those early games.

The bottom line is if his perimeter defense looked like Miller’s he would’ve continued to see plenty of time despite those poor early shooting numbers. He wasn’t sitting because of his offense.
The problem due to the early OOC losses wss there was no room for error and therefore we could not play someone who Pike felt could not contribute.

Lol I understand that. We’re talking in circles here.

I get that defense was the issue, what I’m saying is people in this thread are posting his offensive stats and using that to justify the lack of playing time.

It’s not complicated to follow.

What I’m saying is the entire team played like crap during those early games, on both sides of the ball.

Jalen didn’t really impress me until we got Big Ten play started tbh, which at that point Jones had already been glued to the bench.

It’s cool, we will just have to agree to disagree. We have different opinions on the matter and we will find out how this all shakes out in a few years.

Is it possible he goes to another school and sits the bench? Yes. Is it possible he goes to another school and is a solid contributor? I believe so.

I just find the whole situation to be very interesting and I’ll be watching it.

Harper is not a concern for most of us. He worked hard for his accolades and will do great things in the NBA and life due to his degree from Rutgers University.
Is there a concern for Jones at this point? Is he even enrolled at Rutgers anymore? The point is Jones didnt do diddly squat here and is receiving more draft attention from RU fans than Harper who has been anointed a savior to the program. I dont get why the thread is four pages long for Jones? There are plenty of other RU players/discussions to devote time to imo. For some reason I started reading this thread and realized halfway through I was wasting my time on a former player who did not contribute and seemingly has little interest in Rutgers.

Is there a concern for Jones at this point? Is he even enrolled at Rutgers anymore? The point is Jones didnt do diddly squat here and is receiving more draft attention from RU fans than Harper who has been anointed a savior to the program. I dont get why the thread is four pages long for Jones? There are plenty of other RU players/discussions to devote time to imo. For some reason I started reading this thread and realized halfway through I was wasting my time on a former player who did not contribute and seemingly has little interest in Rutgers. Harper being invited to the combine tells the story. No need for articles that lie.

Harper being invited to the combine tells the story..... BTW: The title of the thread is "Former RHoops G Jaden Jones has NBA workout with Charlotte Hornets". Therefore we are discussing the story about how Jaden religiously roots for his teammates and is actually the most talented player at RU.

I get that defense was the issue, what I’m saying is people in this thread are posting his offensive stats and using that to justify the lack of playing time.

What I’m saying is the entire team played like crap during those early games, on both sides of the ball.

Jalen didn’t really impress me until we got Big Ten play started tbh, which at that point Jones had already been glued to the bench.

It’s cool, we will just have to agree to disagree. We have different opinions on the matter and we will find out how this all shakes out in a few years.

Is it possible he goes to another school and sits the bench? Yes. Is it possible he goes to another school and is a solid contributor? I believe so.

But the entire team wasn’t collectively playing like crap on defense early. That’s the point you seem to keep missing. Everyone’s shots were off (including Jaden’s) and Caleb literally couldn’t put bunnies in the basket. The problem was that when we sat Caleb and plugged in Jones the defense failed - over and over again. He’d check in and then on the next possession the opponent would get a wide open shot or blow right by him.

BIG play was starting. We already had 2 bad losses (Lafayette and UMass) and another not so good loss (DePaul). We didn’t have the luxury of letting a young player learn to play defense on the fly. Your missing the point that he let the other kids play through their offensive struggles. You don’t play through cluelessness on defense. Learning and working on defensive footwork takes time. That is why he had to sit. It was nothing personal against him - and never meant he couldn’t improve defensively over time. It was just that we’d of had no chance of winning games if we played a kid whose perimeter defense was where his was at in BIG play. Hyatt was bad too, but again, Pike found ways to play him without putting him on defense in the backcourt.

Is there a concern for Jones at this point? Is he even enrolled at Rutgers anymore? The point is Jones didnt do diddly squat here and is receiving more draft attention from RU fans than Harper who has been anointed a savior to the program. I dont get why the thread is four pages long for Jones? There are plenty of other RU players/discussions to devote time to imo. For some reason I started reading this thread and realized halfway through I was wasting my time on a former player who did not contribute and seemingly has little interest in Rutgers.
The point is that posters on here seem to be drawn to one team giving this kid (Jones) an NBA work out (possibly even as a favor to someone - who knows) and claiming it shows that Pike missed the boat with the kid last season. Needed to be called out. That’s all.

Harper being invited to the combine tells the story..... BTW: The title of the thread is "Former RHoops G Jaden Jones has NBA workout with Charlotte Hornets". Therefore we are discussing the story about how Jaden religiously roots for his teammates and is actually the most talented player at RU.
Seems a touch sarcastic, but ok.
The point is that posters on here seem to be drawn to one team giving this kid (Jones) an NBA work out (possibly even as a favor to someone - who knows) and claiming it shows that Pike missed the boat with the kid last season. Needed to be called out. That’s all.
Thank you. Like I said, I stopped reading the thread and was wondering what all the hub bub was about

But he'll be a sit-out transfer if he leaves RU for another D1, correct? Wouldn't be surprised if ends up at a high level juco, declares for draft again after that season, and ends up at SMU if he's not picked-up by G-League.
Correct. He did not place his name in the transfer portal prior to the May 1 deadline. I think the JUCO (or maybe D2) scenario is very plausible.

Correct. He did not place his name in the transfer portal prior to the May 1 deadline. I think the JUCO (or maybe D2) scenario is very plausible.
I can't imagine his ego (or that of his family and advisors, more likely) is going to allow him to play at that level.

Reactions: mugrat86
By the end, it may have been known he was looking to leave.
I agree with you. There has to be more to it than meets the eye. There is no way that his performance warranted non-existent playtime and less than that of a player like Palmquist…especially when he was considered to be a rising star….unless he made it known he was leaving, or some other issue.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: runrutgersrun

JJ looked lost on both sides of the ball most of the time. While his O may have only been as putrid as the rest of the team during a putrid stretch of games, you can't say the same about his D, rebounding, hustle. You didn't see those things for whatever reason. That's fine. But most of us saw that no other player consistently looked lost on both sides of the ball. After the low point of the season, other players got better fast. JJ did not and then his minutes dropped.

Also, you completely discount practice. Jalen Miller started off as someone flagged for a redshirt and worked his way into the rotation by showing out in practice. Why did Hyatt or other players get the nod over JJ (other than his putrid play in games)? They showed they could do it every day in practice.

There is disagreement about JJ. Therefore there is something to talk about. We all agree on Harper. What is there to say?

The problem due to the early OOC losses wss there was no room for error and therefore we could not play someone who Pike felt could not contribute.
Correct. And unfortunately Jaden played a role in those losses. If Jaden played better on both o and d, passed better, and if he showed some hustle, it all could have been different. I so wanted him to perform well, but his performance was bad.

But the entire team wasn’t collectively playing like crap on defense early. That’s the point you seem to keep missing. Everyone’s shots were off (including Jaden’s) and Caleb literally couldn’t put bunnies in the basket. The problem was that when we sat Caleb and plugged in Jones the defense failed - over and over again. He’d check in and then on the next possession the opponent would get a wide open shot or blow right by him.

BIG play was starting. We already had 2 bad losses (Lafayette and UMass) and another not so good loss (DePaul). We didn’t have the luxury of letting a young player learn to play defense on the fly. Your missing the point that he let the other kids play through their offensive struggles. You don’t play through cluelessness on defense. Learning and working on defensive footwork takes time. That is why he had to sit. It was nothing personal against him - and never meant he couldn’t improve defensively over time. It was just that we’d of had no chance of winning games if we played a kid whose perimeter defense was where his was at in BIG play. Hyatt was bad too, but again, Pike found ways to play him without putting him on defense in the backcourt.
So there’s the difference. Maybe I’ll have to go back and watch the games again, but I recall the whole team playing defense like they were running in sand.

So there’s the difference. Maybe I’ll have to go back and watch the games again, but I recall the whole team playing defense like they were running in sand.
Tell you what - I couldn’t remember much about the last defensive set of the Lafayette game (other than being annoyed that Caleb was on the bench - I’m very pro Pike but I still do not understand that decision). Anyway - I just watched it again and will preface by saying that Jaden was in no way responsible for that shot because the ball didn’t go to his player (Ron was late on the close out). That said - that set provides a very good picture of how lost Jaden was in the defensive schemes. He gets caught in a screen, loses sight of his man and the ball - and more broadly looks like a completely lost soul. Again - the basket was NOT HIS FAULT. I’m capping that as it’s a near guarantee that certain posters on here will allude that I suggest otherwise. My point is that he just had no idea what to do on rotations - ever. Go to around the 4:13ish minute mark.

• Love
Reactions: The RUT
Tell you what - I couldn’t remember much about the last defensive set of the Lafayette game (other than being annoyed that Caleb was on the bench - I’m very pro Pike but I still do not understand that decision). Anyway - I just watched it again and will preface by saying that Jaden was in no way responsible for that shot because the ball didn’t go to his player (Ron was late on the close out). That said - that set provides a very good picture of how lost Jaden was in the defensive schemes. He gets caught in a screen, loses sight of his man and the ball - and more broadly looks like a completely lost soul. Again - the basket was NOT HIS FAULT. I’m capping that as it’s a near guarantee that certain posters on here will allude that I suggest otherwise. My point is that he just had no idea what to do on rotations - ever. Go to around the 4:13ish minute mark.

Really appreciate this post as we’ve had a good back and forth discussion on this. Kind of how the board should function instead of just bitching back and forth.

With that said, the game is a full game. Some possessions are bigger than others, and it’s entirely possible Jaden was personally responsible for giving up 12 points on his own. I’ll have to go back and watch when I have time.

None of this is a shot at Pike on my end either. He’s obviously making decisions that he believes will put the team in the best position to succeed.

Maybe in a few years when all is said and done, we’ll get Geo’s take on the Jones situation.

Really appreciate this post as we’ve had a good back and forth discussion on this. Kind of how the board should function instead of just bitching back and forth.

With that said, the game is a full game. Some possessions are bigger than others, and it’s entirely possible Jaden was personally responsible for giving up 12 points on his own. I’ll have to go back and watch when I have time.

None of this is a shot at Pike on my end either. He’s obviously making decisions that he believes will put the team in the best position to succeed.

Maybe in a few years when all is said and done, we’ll get Geo’s take on the Jones situation.
PSAL said it better. But that is what I have been saying. We want what is best for the team and Jaden was not the answer. He tended to meander around aimlessly.

GO RU.....We all want a successful team.

I completely agree. One play is meaningless on its own. When I replayed this one - I just felt it provided a fair picture of the point I was raising. I think you’ll see a lot of that from Jaden if go back and watch some of those early games with specific focus on defense. Just not knowing where to go in any of the rotations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT