ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Former RHoops G Jaden Jones has NBA workout with Charlotte Hornets

The point is that posters on here seem to be drawn to one team giving this kid (Jones) an NBA work out (possibly even as a favor to someone - who knows) and claiming it shows that Pike missed the boat with the kid last season. Needed to be called out. That’s all.
There are really only a handful of those posters.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Can’t imagine transferring to another program being an option. The kid didn’t complete the semester. He immediately began training for professional basketball. He will not meet minimum credit requirements.
Also there was a rumor back in January when his minutes declined that he wasn’t taking enough credits to maintain eligibility beyond spring semester.

It staggers me to realize Jaden Jones has more responses than Ron Harper in regards to the draft. Simply amazing. Who gives a flying, you know what, at this point?
It will be truly strange if Jones is ever an NBA player that he was not a productive player here,even in his first year

It will be truly strange if Jones is ever an NBA player that he was not a productive player here,even in his first year
Ever? No. Didn’t Michael Jordan ride the bench on his high school team? Plenty of players take time to develop. He has a lot of work to do on defense but it’s not impossible. It won’t be next season though and won’t change the fact that while he was at Rutgers his defense wasn’t good enough to contribute meaningful minutes to help the team. There were clearly spots where Pike could’ve squeezed him into games for developmental minutes but if it’s true (what some posters are saying) that he didn’t register for enough spring classes to maintain eligibility going forward, why would Pike go out of his way to do that?

Ever? No. Didn’t Michael Jordan ride the bench on his high school team? Plenty of players take time to develop. He has a lot of work to do on defense but it’s not impossible. It won’t be next season though and won’t change the fact that while he was at Rutgers his defense wasn’t good enough to contribute meaningful minutes to help the team. There were clearly spots where Pike could’ve squeezed him into games for developmental minutes but if it’s true (what some posters are saying) that he didn’t register for enough spring classes to maintain eligibility going forward, why would Pike go out of his way to do that?
My point, which could be up for debate, is that he was a highly touted high school player with a lot of promise, unlike Jordan
Jones had a starting point

He showed almost none of that here, except maybe in a few practices

Of all the RU players, he would seem as the least likely to go pro at this moment due to lack of effort, or interest it seems

Jordan didn't make varsity as a sophomore when he was 5'11

Can’t imagine transferring to another program being an option. The kid didn’t complete the semester. He immediately began training for professional basketball. He will not meet minimum credit requirements.
Also there was a rumor back in January when his minutes declined that he wasn’t taking enough credits to maintain eligibility beyond spring semester.
earlier in this thread it was said Jalen could go to a JUCO for a year before going to another college program
But he'll probably just try to play pro anywhere he can find a spot G-League or a lower level program overseas like the Ball brothers did
LaMelo Ball did that at first , left quickly for daddy's AAU program then on to NBA
His brother LiAngelor also went overseas ( same team and on to daddy's team) now in the G-League at 23 , never had a real NBA shot. Was signed by the Hornets for their summer league then signed to NBA contract after that.
But day after signing with Charlotte LiAngelor was released.

Last edited:
Jordan didn't make varsity as a sophomore when he was 5'11
Thanks - I knew there was a story. Couldn’t remember the specifics. The point is if Jones makes it to the NBA in 3 years that doesn’t mean he should’ve played at RU. It’ll mean he worked hard to improve his defense over time which wasn’t D1 college ready when he arrived at RU.

Thanks - I knew there was a story. Couldn’t remember the specifics. The point is if Jones makes it to the NBA in 3 years that doesn’t mean he should’ve played at RU. It’ll mean he worked hard to improve his defense over time which wasn’t D1 college ready when he arrived at RU.
He was placed on his HS JV team his sophomore year.
Grew to 6'-3" by junior year and made the fist team

It would be a good look. We helped develop him. Hearing through the grapevine that there were some other factors that contributed to him not playing as much.
100% on the coaches. Leaves us with the crap leftovers to develop

But Jordan did not sit because he lacked talent.. he sat because he was a Frosh and that's what Dean Smith and UNC basketball did.. period. Remember, Dean Smith was coach when Frosh had their own team and did not play with varsity. Valano was a player during that time with Rutgers. 1972 was the first year for frosh eligibility (besides war years).. and Smith was head coach in 1961. Old habits.

Yes, this is to say that Jaden Jones was not ready for Big Ten basketball, never mind the NBA.. which is not to say he has no talent. He needs to WORK.. on his body and his skills and especially his mind... he needs to know where to go and what to do when he plays D and when he does not have the ball.

Last edited:
But Jordan did not sit because he lacked talent.. he sat because he was a Frosh and that's what Dean Smith and UNCH basketball did.. period. Remember, Dean Smith was coach when Frosh had their own team and did not play with varsity. Valano was a player during that time with Rutgers. 1972 was the first year for frosh eligibility (besides war years).. and Smith was head coach in 1961. Old habits.

Yes, this is to say that Jaden Jones was not ready for Big Ten basketball, never mind the NBA.. which is not to say he has no talent. He needs to WORK.. on his body and his skills and especially his mind... he needs to know where to go and what to do when he plays D and when he does not have the ball.
I think there was an NCAA role that frosh couldn't play when Jordan was a freshman at NC
Also read in some articles that the reason the reason Jordan was placed on the JV team in High School was because the varsity needed more height and he didn't fit that bill at 5-10 or 11 so his 6-7 friend got the last spot on the varsity team.

As for Jaden , I agree with your assessment

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
I think there was an NCAA role that frosh couldn't play when Jordan was a freshman at NC
Also read in some articles that the reason the reason Jordan was placed on the JV team in High School was because the varsity needed more height and he didn't fit that bill at 5-10 or 11 so his 6-7 friend got the last spot on the varsity team.

As for Jaden , I agree with your assessment
"1972 was the first year for frosh eligibility (besides war years)"

Jordan played well after that. I just think old school coach had old school habits.. like the UNC four corners stall thing before they put in a shot clock. Smith just did not think freshmen should play varsity.. much.

"For college basketball, the shot clock began in the 1985-1986 season. Initially, the shot clock was 45 seconds but then 35 seconds for the 1993-1994 season"

"1972 was the first year for frosh eligibility (besides war years)"

Jordan played well after that. I just think old school coach had old school habits.. like the UNC four corners stall thing before they put in a shot clock. Smith just did not think freshmen should play varsity.. much.

"For college basketball, the shot clock began in the 1985-1986 season. Initially, the shot clock was 45 seconds but then 35 seconds for the 1993-1994 season"
are you sure he didn't play as a freshman
I found this :

How many years did Michael Jordan play in college?​

Michael Jordan played at North Carolina for three years, from the 1981-82 season to the 1983-84 season. Jordan was just the fourth player in North Carolina history to start his first game as a freshman.
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...ordan-college-stats-best-games-quotes-moments

also found this
Jordan led the ACC in scoring as a sophomore and as a junior. The Sporting News named him college player of the year for both years. He left North Carolina after his junior year and was selected by the Chicago Bulls of the National Basketball Association (NBA) as the third pick of the 1984 draft.
https://www.notablebiographies.com/Jo-Ki/Jordan-Michael.html

are you sure he didn't play as a freshman
I found this :

How many years did Michael Jordan play in college?​

Michael Jordan played at North Carolina for three years, from the 1981-82 season to the 1983-84 season. Jordan was just the fourth player in North Carolina history to start his first game as a freshman.
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...ordan-college-stats-best-games-quotes-moments

also found this
Jordan led the ACC in scoring as a sophomore and as a junior. The Sporting News named him college player of the year for both years. He left North Carolina after his junior year and was selected by the Chicago Bulls of the National Basketball Association (NBA) as the third pick of the 1984 draft.
https://www.notablebiographies.com/Jo-Ki/Jordan-Michael.html
Guess we both learned something there but my post mislead you.

I misread someone earlier saying Jordan rode the bench as a frosh and took it for granted (it was in HS, I read it as college). And I thought I remembered stories about how Smith avoided playing freshmen. But after your post I found this.. it seems it was about DEFENSE and how Jordan bought into the defense and learned it well enough to start as a frosh.

And here's a story saying Dean Smith started few freshmen.. which makes sense since he recruited so well.

Last edited:
Reactions: MADHAT1
Tell you what - I couldn’t remember much about the last defensive set of the Lafayette game (other than being annoyed that Caleb was on the bench - I’m very pro Pike but I still do not understand that decision). Anyway - I just watched it again and will preface by saying that Jaden was in no way responsible for that shot because the ball didn’t go to his player (Ron was late on the close out). That said - that set provides a very good picture of how lost Jaden was in the defensive schemes. He gets caught in a screen, loses sight of his man and the ball - and more broadly looks like a completely lost soul. Again - the basket was NOT HIS FAULT. I’m capping that as it’s a near guarantee that certain posters on here will allude that I suggest otherwise. My point is that he just had no idea what to do on rotations - ever. Go to around the 4:13ish minute mark.

He was equally lost with where to be on offense too. I think it was the Purdue game, I remember watching Rutgers with the ball when Jones was in and RHJ shaking his head in disbelief at Jones because he didn’t know where to be and move.

As for JUCO, I can see him going to ELAC with the intent of being on Last Chance U, seems like the move for a kid more known for his hype videos than basketball IQ

What are you guys talking about? Jordan hit the game winner as a frosh in the NC game. He was a important part of that team notwithstanding they were completely loaded

But Jordan blew the roof off the 5 star camp as a hs schooler so these didnt make varsity as a FRESHMAN need to be put in perspective. Dean smith didnt recruit scrubs. Any Jordan reference is just well off base

Just venting. Basketball can be such a beautiful game and I see it rapidly going downhill. I see the college game more and more morphing towards the NBA and it really saddens me. 20 years ago I would never have imagined I would be watching the NHL playoffs over the NBA.

About the same. While I WATCHED the NHL - partiularly the Rangers - I wouldn't watch much OTHER THAN The Rangers over the NBA. Now, forget it, I find the NBA 100% unwatchable.
Haven’t watched any NHL but have watched more NBA playoffs than ever before.

For those interested the NBA averaged 3.71M viewers per game round 1 of the playoffs while the NHL averaged 765K.

Such a strange phenomenon a lot of people talk about watching the nhl over the nba but usually don’t actually watch it much at all - instead just enjoying a chance to bash the NBA which is doing very well these days.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Also, you completely discount practice. Jalen Miller started off as someone flagged for a redshirt and worked his way into the rotation by showing out in practice. Why did Hyatt or other players get the nod over JJ (other than his putrid play in games)? They showed they could do it every day in practice.

Thank you. You made my point

What we fans see in games is just the tip of the iceberg compared to what the coaches see in practices, film sessions, just being around the kids all season long

and then you got this guy only looking at the offensive side of things (“others players were struggling on offense - why only bench him?”)

to only look at the offensive side of things and only look at what happens in games ….. faaaaar from the full picture

Pike has, literally, million$ of reasons to play the kids he thinks will give his team the best chance to win. Clearly he didn’t think Jones did that. That’s on Jones

on another topic - the question of why Jones is getting more attention on here then Ron. To me the answer is obvious. Ron going to the combine and getting a chance at the NBA isn’t really that interesting, funny, or sexy. He’s getting his due, getting his shot. Great. Not much to talk about. And I mean that out of respect for Ron = of course he is getting a shot

But Jones?! Couldn’t beat out palmquist for minutes and declares for the NBA draft. It’s absurd. Of course there’s 4 pages of comments

I have zero information …….

sometimes getting PT is more than beating people in practice. No idea if there were any dynamics here.

I have zero information …….

sometimes getting PT is more than beating people in practice. No idea if there were any dynamics here.
Well certainly if it’s true that he deliberately chose not to enroll in enough credits to remain academically eligible beyond spring that would be a factor.

Well certainly if it’s true that he deliberately chose not to enroll in enough credits to remain academically eligible beyond spring that would be a factor.
Was thinking more team dynamics.....again I have zero on this other than noticing a player completely ignore him open and not pass it to him.

Was thinking more team dynamics.....again I have zero on this other than noticing a player completely ignore him open and not pass it to him.
Yes - but as a teammate knowing he decided not to enroll in enough classes to maintain eligibility would have a similar impact. Seriously - the classes are paid for. If that rumor is true it is kind of ridiculous.

I think the "he doesn't want to be here - hes just biding time and wants to turn pro" narrative is a little overblown.

RHJ tried to leave last year.
Wouldn't his teammates have the same thought this year "he's just biding time until he can try and leave again?"

Kofi Cockburn declared for the draft multiple times and even entered the Transfer Portal before returning to Illinois.

Caleb is currently trying to leave the team as well. Not just Jaden.

Coaches and players know the deal and aren't going to penalize someone looking to leave at the end of the year.

I think the "he doesn't want to be here - hes just biding time and wants to turn pro" narrative is a little overblown.

RHJ tried to leave last year.
Wouldn't his teammates have the same thought this year "he's just biding time until he can try and leave again?"

Kofi Cockburn declared for the draft multiple times and even entered the Transfer Portal before returning to Illinois.

Caleb is currently trying to leave the team as well. Not just Jaden.

Coaches and players know the deal and aren't going to penalize someone looking to leave at the end of the year.
exploring the waters in the off season is not the same thing as proactively deciding that your not going to take a regular slate of classes to maintain your eligibility (if true).

exploring the waters in the off season is not the same thing as proactively deciding that your not going to take a regular slate of classes to maintain your eligibility (if true).
If true.. so let us make it a pure hypothetical...

I can see a kid struggling in school or being disinterested in furthering his education slacking off (it happens to non-athletes too)... but to try to justify that choice by saying you are pursuing something better that is just not realistic.. it is sad... hypothetically.

I would further suggest that the effort and discipline it would take to continue in school despite the disinterest and difficulties is exactly the same type of effort and discipline it would take to become a professional.. in anything.. sports, business.. anything.. even social media influencers, etc..

Ya I’m going to pass on believing any “hypothetical”.

Why would he only register for 1 class instead of 4? What the difference if he was already “checked out” and had no intention of finishing the classes.

How does HC Pike not know he’s only taking 1 class and not kick off the team?
Is there no Compiance officer in the AD monitoring class registrations?
Does the NCAA do no monitoring to make sure fully registered?

Does this whole “conspiracy theory” go out the door is Jaden returns to RU in the next week?

Haven’t watched any NHL but have watched more NBA playoffs than ever before.

For those interested the NBA averaged 3.71M viewers per game round 1 of the playoffs while the NHL averaged 765K.

Such a strange phenomenon a lot of people talk about watching the nhl over the nba but usually don’t actually watch it much at all - instead just enjoying a chance to bash the NBA which is doing very well these days.
It's really not a "strange phenomenon." There are simply more basketball fans in this country than hockey fans, to begin with, so not "strange" at all. Also - and this is just my "opinion" - but NHL playoffs PACK bars in Hoboken and Jersey City. The NBA? Not so much.

Ya I’m going to pass on believing any “hypothetical”.

Why would he only register for 1 class instead of 4? What the difference if he was already “checked out” and had no intention of finishing the classes.

How does HC Pike not know he’s only taking 1 class and not kick off the team?
Is there no Compiance officer in the AD monitoring class registrations?
Does the NCAA do no monitoring to make sure fully registered?

Does this whole “conspiracy theory” go out the door is Jaden returns to RU in the next week?
The "only 1 class" thing is clearly some made up BS. He would not be a full time student and would not even be eligible to play college basketball.

The "only 1 class" thing is clearly some made up BS. He would not be a full time student and would not even be eligible to play college basketball.
It was well documented that Matt Leinhart only took one class (Ballroom Dancing) his final semester at USC.

Being “enrolled” and actually taking the class (aka showing up and doing the work) are 2 different things. I have absolutely no idea what the deal was or the min academic standards Pike requires of each player. I didn’t start this rumor and have no idea where it came from - but several people on here have raised it multiple times.

In high school, if you stop showing up to class your eligibility remains in tact until you fail off officially (get your report card). Maybe it’s the same way in college?

It was well documented that Matt Leinhart only took one class (Ballroom Dancing) his final semester at USC.

It was well documented that Matt Leinart only needed 2 credits (1 class) to graduate.

I’m not sure the NCAA is kicking kids off teams because they aren’t taking extra classes.
Totally different aituations

Also - did someone actually speculate that he only 1 class? If so I missed it.

I was curious so I went ahead and looked up the eligibility requirements. To stay eligible - you have to enroll in at least 12 credits per semester and pass 6 credits. But you also have to pass 24 credits total by the end of summer to maintain eligibility.

Hypothetically - for a sport like basketball that overlaps 2 semesters, a coach would probably have a pretty good idea by December if a kid has no intention of staying eligible beyond the season. It gets cumulatively harder obviously after the first term because the kid would have to get to 24. No clue if this is what happened with Jaden but if he had no interest in the school work and Pike knew there was no way he’d be eligible the next year it would explain not playing him that much.

It's really not a "strange phenomenon." There are simply more basketball fans in this country than hockey fans, to begin with, so not "strange" at all. Also - and this is just my "opinion" - but NHL playoffs PACK bars in Hoboken and Jersey City. The NBA? Not so much.
Interesting. Agree more people like NBA which is why I think it’s definitely strange that a growing sport like the NBA is continually trashed by people whenever they comment they like hockey better. You just rarely see NBA people saying positive things about the league and then trash Hockey.

So on one hand pro-hockey comments SEEM to more often drag NBA at the same time than vice versa, and these people do it while the NBA continues to thrive. Based on which sport is more popular you would think hockey would get more negative comments but it doesn’t. Kind of the point.

Just a strange phenomenon to see play out continually.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT