ADVERTISEMENT

Fourth and Goal From 1 Yd LineRPO to Fletcher Was NOT a Bad Call

lion1983

Freshman
Gold Member
May 2, 2024
So ... in response to another thread about VT stacking against the run while loading the "box", I have been charting every single RU offensive play since I did not see VT loading the box. I am not quite done with this, still the 4th quarter left to chart (needless to say I am right: VT was not regularly "loading the box", though they did run blitz a fair bit.

BUT ... in charting this I got a chance to very closely look at that failed 4rht and goal from the 1 in the 3rd quarter.

Though I am not sure I would have run that play to the short side of the field (can only run it to the right because AK should not be running it to the left as he is a righty) from the 1 yard line, because there is no field depth (i.e. the entire field is just 11 yards from the LOS to the end line of the end zone - and depth of field keeps the safety away from helping cover the leaking TE), the problem with the play was EXECUTION, not the play call.

If RU had executed, they probably (not definitely) would have scored.

Here is what happened:

1) Balli is snapped

2) Fletcher, lined up on the left side, just outside of the LT Pierce, spins to "pull" as if to block (as he often does to block the DE on the right side of RU's line in that formation) ... OR to skip the block on the right side of the line, and either block the LB (usually #25 on VT), or slip behind the LB (either blitzing or trailing) to be open ... a BLOCK springs Athan for an open run, or if he slips behind him, an theoretically open short pass from AK. That is the DESIGN.

3) BUT ... Zelinskas, the center, who had a pretty good game otherwise, is driven back into the backfield by the VT DT, into Fletcher's path.

4) Fletcher STUMBLES over Zelinskas and the DT (both on the ground, almost), and the timing is now completely RUINED.

5) Fletcher never makes it to block #25, to force #25 to make a choice, AND the safety on that side has time to come up because the timing is ruined.

6) Fletcher, because he can't get there in time for the block/slip, ends up just running a short rout into the flat, but the safety has had time to come up and cover, while #25 comes unhindered to run right at Athan, who has to dump it incomplete, with no where to go.

IF ... the timing had not been messed up by a fine play by the VT DT beating RU's center, either Fletcher blocks #25, which could have sprung AThan to the outside for a possible easy TD (not sure the safety could have gotten there in time - and AK is bigger than the safety also), or #25 pauses, and Fletcher maybe gets into the flat befroe the safety gets there to cover.

So ... execution by VT's DT, and RU's missed block by the center messed up the play more than it was the bad call.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.